Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A chilly, bright perfume: flurries of virgin snow, crisp winter wind and the faintest breath of night-blooming flowers.

In Bottle: A cool scent, something foodish or fruity underneath.

Wet: At first there's a bloom of something burnt plastic-y, which I think is that food scent I first experienced.

Dry: Still with a burnt smell but now I kind of like it. I'm not sure if it's starting to grow musty on me.--No, it does not seem to. It ends up kind of a rich burnt sugar smell, and I think I do like this best after a hour or so. Not likely to be one of my favorites but it's certainly interesting. (A note: I wore this to bed and when I woke up there was still a hint of it, and at that point it was delicious--rich and warm-spicy like cinnamon or sarsaparilla.)

Overall: Interesting. Conditionally like.

2005 version:

In the imp: sharp sharp floral - or is it apple? it's very very sharp, anyway, above a creamy coconut and vanilla.

On me, wet: oh, yes, that is apple, or apple blossom, or something else sharp and almost urine-like. No creaminess, just nastiness here.

On me, dry: nasty nasty vile icky apple juic gone hideously wrong. Nothing else in this now.

Verdict: Oh god, that's hideous. Fie, away.

Wet: Holy cow, it's vanilla-almond playdough (how is the brand name spelled -- Play-Do?).

Dry: It takes about half an hour for the fake smell to burn away. Afterwards it's a beautiful creamy vanilla/ almond/ coconut/ pineapple blend, but if I put my nose right to my wrist, there's something musty underneath it all.

i think it is a testament to the awesome powers of BPAL that so many of these reviews seem to be describing totally different scents. :P

snow white... :D

i had tested this scent by myself a few times, and loved it. today, i slathered and wore it around in public, and got so many compliments, it made my head spin.

i heard from TWO people: "you smell like...HEAVEN!" :D

on my skin, this scent is all cool, creamy vanilla-light-musk, with something crisp in there, too...much like winter's first flurry. :D

if you think it's gross, you know where to PM me! :D

I do believe I have the 2005 version...

In the imp: light floral, possibly rose, with a touch of creaminess. Off to a good start.

Initial application: and that good start comes to a screeching halt. For the first time I'm experiencing that dreaded "Play Doh" scent I've seen other BPAL'ers lament over. It's very similar to Dragon's Milk on me, except musty and plasticky.

Drydown: still Play Doh, though it's softening a bit. Going by some of the other reviews this gets better as it goes along, so I'll give it a little longer.

Smiley rating (so far): :P

EDIT 1:27PM: Nope, it just eventually faded to a nondescript, musty floral scent.

Final smiley rating: :D

Edited by porcelain72

In the vial: I get a lot of the creamy almonds that I associate with Dana O'Shee, but there's something different - the florals, I think.

Wet: More Dana O'Shee similarity, but with a beautiful cold note underlying the creaminess. After about a half hour the scent begins to turn to a burnt plastic type scent - and I get very sad.

Drydown: The burnt plastic goes away, thank the Gods, and the creaminess comes out again. It's a fairly faint skin scent on me, but I keep on getting wafts of it. It is, on drydown, still very similar to Dana O'Shee, though maybe a bit lighter.

This is really different. It really doe smell "icy," and I'm not really sure how it does that. The florals are delicate and blend well with the iciness. I almost get an orchid feel here, but that's not quite it. Definitely pretty and very soft. I only had a testable sniffy to try, so I didn't get much on at all - I think it would actually have pretty good throw if I slathered.

Still my favourite scent. Recently, I did a comparison of the ageing process. I had a bottle from 2004 & one from 2005. I opened up both of them and though they both smelled superficially the same, upon further inspection, they've really diverged!

2004 - very creamy, lost that play-doh scent (which I love). But it's soft, well blended and well rounded. It's taken on an ever-so-slight buttery almond scent.

2005 - not as creamy, it still retains a bit of the play-doh scent. But this one's sharp. It's got a bit of a bite, a bit of a bittery, toasted almond scent.

Once worn and gets into dry-down, the scents become more similar... but in the mid base to base notes only. The top notes still differ quite to the extent that they would be classified in the same family of scents, but not the same perfume.

Snow White 2005....

I fell in love with the 2004 version..but jumped at the chance to buy another bottle last year. I finally did my review for the 2004 version this year and figured today was as good as any day to revel in the 2005 version. I also did a comparison with the 2004 version and here is what I came up with:

IT.STILLS.SMELLS FABULOUS. :P

Need a bit more?? Okay:

Initial sniff from bottle: With both of them uncapped, it's the 2005 version that smells a bit more stronger with that "Play-doh" note..which I happen to love. The 2004 version is actually much more subdued and wafts a bit more on the "cold snow" vibe.

Applied wet on skin: The 2005 version again..stonger on the play-doh note with the 2004 version much more softer..with a touch of floral but still the snowy cold note in the forefont. Now..the 2005 version has the vanilla/coconut up behind the play-doh note and I still find it very addictive.

Couple of minutes on skin: The 2005 version now is getting the touch of mint..that "snowy" feel is now blooming a bit more on my skin..which is now resembling a bit more the 2004 version. I agree with the previous reviewer..the 2005 version might have a bit of almond or almond-type note which is a bit more prevalent than in the 2004 version..but they both smell amazing. Not so much the slushy notes that I got on the 2004 version.

Half an hour on skin:They both smell pretty identical..save for the 2004 version having a bit more of the night blooming flowers..again..it's all very faint and delicate..that particular component..but 2005 smells more vanilla/coconut/touch of almond maybe with the snowy vibe at the tail end..but 2004 is more snowy vibe/slushy note/crystalline floral/coconut and sweetness at the tail end. Both of them smell similar and have the same feel..but there are some subtle difference..overall though..it's just snowy heaven to me. :D

Drydown: Both are identical..just that wonderful melange of soft wispy sweetness and sparkly like snow...

Lasting power again is impressive with the 2005 version..12+hours on me..and the throw is soft to medium.

Bottom Line:Snow White 2005 is as good as the 2004 version..and one that I will continue to love wearing. Amazing.

okay, so i was making up a sniffy of what little i have left of this, and decided i ought to review it while i have some on - because i doubt i'll ever wear it again.

this is the '05 version

and it smells like almond-plastic-pina-colada with a little bit of the VanillaRoma car air freshener (the yellow, tree-shaped one. this is a scent i know well, it was the Muscle Car Scent Of Choice in the 80's, where i'm from)

it can't quite decide if it wants to smell like overheated plastic or coconut. or perhaps an overheated plastic coconut? if there was a way to add in a bit of tobacco smoke, Armor-All and some car exhaust, it'd smell like any given Friday Night in my world from about 1984 until about 1992.

Not something I'd pictured myself liking, but I got an imp as a gift, so why not?

WOW! I really love this. The flowers are in the background, in evidence but not too much so. It's the other notes that make this amazing.

I wish I knew exactly what they were....

this review brought to you by the swapping kindness of pilotkitten.

i was seriously expecting a knockout scent when i opened my imp of snow white 2005, it is SO popular on the forums and LJ. i was sorely disappointed upon sniffing my imp and smelling--nothing. not a thing. and now i'm sitting here a little freaked out that i have play doh oil on my hand. this is one of those i guess you had to be there for. definitely not one of my better imps :P

The description of this one is totally different than the impression I got from it when i first put it on... When I opened the imp, and when I first put it on, the main note was coconut, which I don't think of as chilly or bright... after about 2 minutes, it began to take on a lovely creamy vanilla scent. After about 15 minutes, it turned to Play-Do... eww... luckily, that only lasted about 3-4 minutes, and it is now back to a creamy, mildly flowery vanilla, only this time I'm picking up a bit of "spicyness" behind it. I keep getting whifs of it as I move my arms... All in all, although it's not what I expected, it's quite a nice scent on me, so I may keep this decant, unless I can trade it for my true love: snake oil.

Snow White was one of my favorite BPALs ever. I'm so sad that it didn't come back this year. In the bottle it smells kinda sharp, there's an herbal/planty smell that people probably register as plasticky and I can smell the night blooming flowers. On the skin, the plasticky smell goes away and I'm left with a beautiful sweet, coconutty floral...well the note doesn't really smell like coconut, it's more like vanilla and pineapple. The flowers are soft, gentle, and white, and the pineapple scent is more of a feeling than a smell, but it's still there nonetheless (does that make sense?). Underneath it all is a soft, creamy vanilla that smells white and lush. It has unbelievable lasting power: it lasts all day and well into the night for such a light scent! My friends all loved the way it smelled on me too. I love it love lovelove! Beth please bring Snow White back as a GC!!!!!!!!!

This review is for Snow White 2005; I'll tack on my review for 04 when I test it out.

Unlike most reviewers, this one doesn't morph a lot on my skin. It's a cool, fresh scent with a hint of florally sweetness, but it's nontraditional -- I'm not fond of florals /or/ "fresh" smells usually, but this is lovely. It's creamy without being thick, heavy or foody, and there's something dewy-fresh and slightly rosy to it. It hovers close to the skin, and there's a dash coconut in it, but again, it's not heavy or foody, just a touch of sweetness.

Snow White 05 is a very unusual scent, and I'm glad I managed to snag a bottle. If you like light, sweetly clear scents a la La Fee Verte (my personal BPAL favourite) Snow White 05 is a must-try.

---

I'm wearing Snow White 05 today :P I applied it this AM and I can still smell it (5 hours later). This scent completely goes against type for me. I generally don't like florals - I wouldn't have dreamed of trying this had I not been in a circle where I sniffed a sniffy!

I get creamy snowy minty when I first apply and then it delicately fades off a bit to a hint of floral. It's definitely a white flower in the background - which makes sense since the description mentions night blooming. I think maybe I'm smelling nicotiana but I'm not quite sure. Any how - it doesn't matter, I just love it. It's now in my top 5 list!

OH, Snow White you are my favorite.

:P

In the bottle I actually smell COLD.

It is a creamy snow covered lily with a touch of dewy apple in the background.

I have 2004 & 2005 they both smell the same to me.

My nose must be odd, I didn't get any coconut, pineapple, suntan lotion scent for this at all. Which I am very happy about.

Edited by AliceNWonderland

In the imp: Veeeery faint, I can barely smell it. Incredibly light, sweet floral.

Wet/Drydown: Still very light. It’s a gentle, sweet vanilla-floral. I don’t get a chilly feel to this, it actually feels warm to me. Oh wait – there’s that winter wind! Wow, it’s spot-on! I’m yet again in awe of Beth’s talent.

Dry: This dries to a very soft, gentle vanilla-floral on me. It's sweet, but not too sweet. It's lovely and unique, yet very unobtrusive, so I feel like I can wear this anywhere. Too bad I only have an imp!

Initial Impressions: Coconut and Oxalis/Shamrocks.

On the Skin: Coconut, electrical tape, and Shamrocks.

Dry: Coconut and Vanilla

Mature: Coconut and Vanilla

Several hours later: It smells EXACTLY like Suave Vanilla shampoo.

Over all: The smell just doesn't do it for me, and it's rather strong.

Buyability: Would not purchase it, as it is not my kinda fragrance.

Snow White 2005-very subtle vanilla and floral on first application.

After about an hour, it is very light vanilla with a grassy undertone.

I don't know if it is my favorite scent but I know that my daughter will love it. :P

First, I don't know what year this is from. :P

Creamy, watery coconut with the tiniest bit of mint. It's such a soft, feminine scent, but it has wonderful throw.

For the record, I don't get much vanilla with this (which is good, because I abhor vanilla), nor much in the way of florals. It's mostly milky, sweet, subtle coconut. :D

Gifted with a half-imp of this from the astoundingly cool thatmadgirl on LJ.

This is the first coconut note to work on me from the lab - it's soft and lovely and gentle, and there's a hint of fresh mint, nom nom nom. BUT. This is that play-dough vanilla note, oh, goddamnit. I have NEVER encountered play-dough vanilla before! Never! Why here?

Although it'd probably be equally traumatizing to love this, and never get anymore, ever. Woe!

I received a teeny drop of Snow White '04 in with an order. I hadn't had it on my list because I was nervous about the night-blooming flowers.

When I opened the bottle to smell, I was in heaven. This had a light, icy, crisp, snowy smell with a light floral, but spicy floral, not overpowering. This one is my fiance's favorite in the vial.

I put it on and immediately stopped liking it so much. On me, with no hesitation and no need for time, it turns into a funeral. The flowers die and start to rot. Mind you, it's got that great spicy, icy smell. But there's an undertone of decay. I was so unhappy about this!

Contemplating a scent locket if I can't find anything else I like on as much as I like this in the bottle. It smells wonderful on my daughter, but it made her sneeze and bothered her nose to the point that she doesn't want to try any of the others!

Big thanks to djnevermore for the sniffie! :P

I have no idea which year this one is. Sniffing the imp - sweet milky coconut.

A tap on the skin and this is sweet and girly. It's very light, with something floral which threatens to fight with my skin chemistry, but doesn't quite turn. It doesn't quite NOT turn, either. I can't put my finger on what it is, but not having ever tried a BPAL milk note before, I suspect it might be that.

The coconut is holding it all steady, and I can see why this is popular. It's very happy, sweet and pretty.

However, it's not for me. I don't dislike it, but it's not a "me" scent at all. I am, however, very happy I got to try it!