Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A chilly, bright perfume: flurries of virgin snow, crisp winter wind and the faintest breath of night-blooming flowers.

I bought this decant from ebay. I've heard so much hype about it, and loved the reviews, so how could I not try it!?

First sniff (in the imp):Dana O'Shee, light. And a bit green. Oh. It's apples! Dana O'Shee with apples.

Wet: It is a really nice, innocent scent. The apple note is very, very crisp. This is not anything like any other apple scent I've tried before, it's very authentic. Nothing like the apple scent at Bath and Body Works. I think what I'm actually smelling is green apple *skin.* I have no idea how Beth did this...Wow. I actually feel like I'm smelling something akin to nummy honeyed oatmeal with green apples sliced into it.

Dry: This scent remains pretty constant on me. It doesn't shift or change much, but I will say that the apples make their presence known. I think that this would be a great scent for a warm day, as it does evoke a feeling of chilliness or coolness. It doesn't have a lot of throw, and it's very faint, but I like it. I will be searching a 5mL out, for sure! :wub2:

Source: Imp of Snow White labeled "decanted by ______ Summer 2005"

Wet on Skin: A very fresh cut flower, stem and everything... hmm... lily? Crocus? Grrr. wish I could place flowers better. Cold air. Seriously, like a still, chilly morning/evening. Arguing with the chill is something creamy underneath. Not milk, just... soft and creamy. Hmmm... not very me. But I really want to give this a try...

Initial Dry: Wet, fresh flower married with soft creamy sweetness. The chilliness has mostly disappeared in the drydown, and the mildly sweet creamy has developed. I can see how people might be thinking coconut, but to me it's a very very dilute, watery trace of coconut that is so integrated with the flowers that I can't quite tell where one ends and the other begins? It's very beautifully done, I can see why there are so many fans. It's just not... me.

Later: Pretty much the same. Mild throw, but seems to have a nice staying power.

Final Verdict: This is a very pretty, soft, creamy, flowery scent... that I'm happy I'm not in love with, since it's an LE :P

I've had the opportunity to try both the 2004 and 2005 versions of Snow White side by side...and I should love them. Not necessarily from the description, but from the reviews, the milky, coconutty creamy light floral sweetness should be wonderful.

But alas, it is not meant to be...something turns this sharp and almost plasticy on my skin. Sigh...

(2005)

bottle:

light vanilla, hint of florals…

wet:

very light, not much throw. I still smell vanilla and very light florals… creamy.

dry:

reminds me a little of angel food cake. I can see why this is so popular! Barely there, a warm winter scent… but too warm to smell like snow. Smells more like snow LOOKS from inside by the fire! very comforting. Oh, it has a hint of my elusive "first boyfriend's car" scent - previously only a blend of vanilla and sandlewood came close. Not quite, but there's a hint of it in snow white.

overall:

I really do like it, but because it's so popular and not available, I may try to just live with the imp. Unless it's re-released of course! I love it, I admire Beth's outstanding accomplishment, but it's also not entirely "me".

rating: 8/10

(well i picked up a second imp because i was already ordering from someone on the forum. if it's easy to find i probably will buy more when i run out!)

Edited by HennaFairy

I have imps of both 04 and 05.

04 is all Hawaiian Tropic tanning oil, all the time. Mainly coconut with just enough florals underneath to say "lotion". It goes slightly sourish on me for a minute but that fades and then it stays coconut floral.

05 has much less coconut, but still a good amount, with milky vanilla and a hint of mint. To me this is a more complex and satisfying version, but I'll stick with the GC Obatala.

I wasn't expecting to like this, but to my surprise, it was a creamy, faintly sweet blend that works beautifully with my body chemistry. :P Guess I'll be buying a bottle next time around.

I bet there is some coconut in this o_O or is that familiar smell almond?

The scent is pretty faint... light, pure, but I preceive a hint of smoke in the beginning.

Now I can smell the vanilla. But it is vanilla in a cake, not fake perfume vanilla. It is very innocent and pure. Creamy vanilla and almond.

Well, I really like it. It is not something I would think I would like if I would read some of the components (coconut & vanilla) but it is so soft that I really like it, it is elegant and innocent, it is charming. It is a great interpretation on the subject.

It has a good throw, it is very long lasting (+8 hours now, still there) it is creamy, conforting, yes white. I really like it, I am not gonna hunt a bottle, but I will surely get one if it is re-released next christmas.

Note: next day there are still traces!

Another note, weeks later: Damn!

I utterly fell in love with it, slowly, but surely.

Now this is a great surprise for me, as I would never have picked this perfume if I would have read the reviews beforehand.

It is creamy yes, but in a soft and subtle way I wouldn't imagine possible.

I hunted a bottle down, and I am so glad I did!

I have to say... this scent fills a void that I had, and I'm SO happy! I was able to get a decant of this (and will have to stalk out a bottle, too, i guess... *sigh*)

There was a scent at Bath & Body Works YEARS ago called "Refreshing Garden Mint". It was probably the best smell i had ever smelled in a lotion, let alone in a mint (love mint, but this is so LIGHT!). Snow White IS that smell. Now I can possibly finish off my lotion that I've been hoarding, without fear of the scent disappearing from my life forever! hehe.

could be possibly my favorite BPAL so far! :P

2005-The first time I tried this I didn't like it. I promptly gave my first bottle away. I then came across it a second time, and now I'm in love. I can't pick out any of the notes individually, but it smells like a creamy candy with a hint of floral. And oddly enough, as I was falling asleep last night, I thought I smelled Thierry Mugler's Angel and it turned out to be snow white! I wonder if they have anything in common.

Snow White 2005 is very soft and beautiful. Unfortunately, it's too white and subtle for my taste. I like florals with a little more pizzaz. I have no idea what notes are in it, but it is very pretty, and it layers really well with some other scents. I love layering it with Midwinter's Eve as it helps round out the sharp sweetness of the Midwinter's Eve sugar plum, and the Midwinter's Eve gives Snow White a little bit of Oomph! that's it's otherwise lacking. I will finish the imp I have of it, but decided it wasn't worth purchasing a full bottle.

Snow White 2004 - This smells almost identical to the 2005 Snow White I have. It is ethereal, creamy, and sweet. I am a huge fan of Snow White 2005, and although 2004 is supposedly the same formula, it smells even better to me than 2005. I am assuming this difference has to do with the aging process. It's stronger, has better throw, and is deeper and richer. I also smell no coconut in 2005, but when I walked into the kitchen at work this morning with just a dab of 2004 on the back of my hand, one of the ladies in there instantly mentioned that she smelled coconut on me. A few minutes later, the receptionist at work walked by me and said the exact same thing. So while I would have never identified the scent as coconut, it must be in there if that's what other people are smelling. The fact that just a dab on the back of my hand has people around me smelling the oil tells me this oil has extremely good throw and I need to be careful the next time I wear it! It's just gorgeous and I can't wait for Beth to (hopefully) re-release Snow White again this coming holiday season. I'll be buying a bottle, no doubt.

*Edited to add SN'04 review*

Edited by edenssixthday

In the vial: Very, very sheer coconut.

On me: This scent is incredibly gorgeous. I am still detecting fresh, sheer coconut, a teeny bit of florals, and a hint of something else - the scent of fresh snow, I believe.

Verdict: This scent is beautiful. If I can find a bottle, I'd like one!

Rating: 5/5

I'm happy I got hold of an imp of this - on the basis of reviews & description, I was sure I'd love it, and I did, but for slightly different reasons...

In the vial: beautiful, faint vanilla-coconut-floral

On me: still faint, but so lovely; after a while, a hint of pineapple! And coconut + pineapple = pina colada... Yes, for me, this is a summery, tropical scent, I can detect nothing snowy or wintery here (and I'm originally from Scandinavia so I should know snow & winter if anything! :P)!

In any case, this is in my current top 3.

Bottle: soft and pale, a hinted, slightly aquatic-edged floral and..vanilla?

Wet: same; definitely a vanilla or tonka here .. same sweet creaminess.

Dry: there must be vanilla, because it's amping like a sonnafabiotch. I can barely catch any hint of the floral anymore, just a slight, slippery green edge under the vanilla.

Later: Oh drat. And like the energizer bunny, it's stiiill going. Wash time...gaaahhhh....

Whew, first review. I figured since Snow White was the scent that got me hooked on BPAL, I'd give it full honors. Still kinda working out my own way of reviewing, so this will have to do for now.

Source: Snow White 2005 bottle

Bottle: Very sweet; I was actually a bit worried about how sweet it seemed (but I've since sniffed other BPAL scents and Snow White is fairly mild compared to many of the others). I'd heard that scents turned out differently on different people and I was crossing my fingers since it smelled so yummy. There's something floral about it, though vanilla and sweets are the first thing to cross my mind.

Wet: There was a bit of a mediciny smell, which was a bit odd. Still very sweet and a bit fainter, though there's now a bit of a sharp tinge to the scent.

Drydown: After a few minutes, the sharp notes die down real quickly and the sweetness (vanilla! I keep thinking vanilla and... cake?) comes forth. It wafts up to my nose and I can smell it without sticking my noise into my wrist. And from this distance, it smells wonderful.

Dry: OH SO GOOD. SO GOOD. I had Japanese class the first day I tried it and I let all my friends sniff me and it was unaminous; people adored it. For one thing, the sharpness and medicine smell that was there at first, disappeared completely. The only thing left was the deep, kinda of floral scent of vanilla and sweet... cream? After the first thirty minutes, all that's left is this divine smell that LASTS for literally hours. Even when I've gone dancing and sweated all night, I could still smell it on my wrist at seven in the morning. Not the greatest scent for a night out, though. But still... LOVE!

Overall: I loved this scent so much, I went to Ebay and bought another bottle. =) This is one of those scents I hope they bring back every year.

I've amassed a hoard of imps so I hope I'll be writing up more reviews... :P

In the bottle, this smelled wet, almost forest-y to me -- all winter woods and sugar candy. I was a little worried that it would be nothing but apples, and I wouldn't get the snow note at all, but put it on anyway, because in theory, it was going to rock my world.

Wet, the apple was very, very strong, to the point that it overwhelmed everything else. This faded quickly as the drydown began, and then...

Dry, it's snow, and roses, and apples, like Snow White dancing in the December woods just before the Queen takes her. The apples add a crisp, almost brittle note to the overall mixture of scents, and help to elevate it to one of my favourite perfumes yet!

On me at least, the lasting power is astonishing, and I've found that mixing an imp's worth with five imp's worth of perfumer's base gives me a lot of very strong, very long-lasting perfume.

Why was I expecting white rose? I don't get much floral. It's kind of creamy. It's really pretty and understated. A bit like Dorian. My brother smells vanilla, and so do I.

Just when I think I found my new favorite BPAL scent (hello Dragon's Milk), another pokes its head into my life. I have a new love and her name is Snow White. This oil is unbelievable. It smells like innocence, beauty, grace and femininity all bottled up. Not overpowering, but gorgeous. I can't say enough good things about this one. If you haven't tried it, find some! I can't pick out any single note because the lot blend together perfectly. Nothing punches you in the face. And it doesn't morph. It's consistently stunning. Must find more!

I was torn on wanting to try this because florals and I don't get along. I am SO glad I got this one.

In the vial, it is a crisp and cold yet warm at the same time scent. Its hard to pick out the notes but it is buttery sweet with the most amazing vanilla undertone.

Wet on the skin, you start to see why it is called Snow White, it is soft and sweet, with a touch of foody vanilla in it mixing with the super light florals that come out when wet. It is pure white light to me.

On drydown, a surprising honey coconut pops out and blends with the vanilla florals (at least it does on me lol). It is light and wonderful, but not fleeting or fading. This is one scent I could wear always.

I have the 2004 version on my left hand and the 2003 version on my right hand. I haven't tried the 2005 version yet.

The 2004 version is not my fave. It is cool, and it reminds me of snow. Pretty, too. Fitting for something called Snow White. But there's something in it that has an artificial creaminess to it (my skin has the same problem with Antique Lace). It's kind of powdery and kind of creamy, but the overall feel is artificial -- like a fragrance they'd use for a candle or something that doesn't smell quite right. Also it gets faint after only a few minutes.

The 2003 version, on the other hand... yummy! It's definitely sweeter, almost sugary. None of that artifical scent at all. The florals are a bit stronger in this version, but not overwhelming at all. It's sooo pretty. If this is what the 2004 and 2005 versions smell like on other people's skin, I can see why they're so popular. Really lovely. This version is also much stronger than the 2004 version on my skin -- I put equal amounts on the backs of both hands, and 2003 is broadcasting nicely right now while 2004 is barely there.

So... Little Miss 2004 is going to sit in a nice, dark, cool corner for a while. Maybe in another year she'll smell more like 2003. Based on my experience and edenssixthday's review I would guess that Snow White is one of the BPAL blends that gets better with age.

ETA:

I am editing this now, 9 years later (!!!) to say that I have now tried the 2005 version! LOL. It also smells lovely and creamy, with none of the strange coconutty-plastic scent that I sometimes get from the creamy/milky blends. I like Snow White, but I think I like Snow Flakes and the Snow Maiden better.

Edited by filigree_shadow

In the vial, this is cool, sweet and soft mint that has been made subtle by it’s sweetness with perhaps a whiff of a flower (it reminds me of lavender) in there. On my skin this becomes more like Spooky, except that the mint has faded back and coconut has appeared with a smell of soft, gentle petals mixed in. After a number of hours this is a sweet, light and gentle scent on my skin, reminiscent of Spooky with it’s sweetened peppermint.

In the bottle - Slightly milky but heres definitely floral in there and possibly something woody ...

Wet on skin - Still milky but not in a bad way ( I hate milk )with something orchidlike and still faintly woody happening.

Dry on skin - Not milky anymore. There's something at the edge of a memory with this and I can't quite catch it. Wistful but not sad ... odd that that I'm not actually getting any scents from this now just emotions ...

Later - I think I've got it! Almond blossom and light vanilla. Not a cold scent at all and suprisingly I love it. Who new I'd like something so very feminine ...?

2005 Snow White:

My first BPAL smell and only my second review, so bear with me. :P

All I can really say about this smell is YUM. It makes me smell delicious. It does bring back memories for me of freshly fallen snow. I smell vanilla, with a bit of almond and coconut. I don't get much of a floral smell at all.

I'm usually not a huge coconut or vanilla fan, but Snow White is making me think otherwise. My husband calls it "the perfect cuddle" scent - cute, yummy and delicious. :D

I'm glad I got a 5ml of this when I did! :D I love this. I hope it's re-released again. I'll be buying hordes!

Edited to indicate which year of Snow White I had.

Edited by crescentmoon

2004 version-Snow White

Can I tell you..I have had this little blue bottle for about 18 months...I remember when I first sniffed it..it was everything I thought I could ever hope for..but I wouldn't allow myself to wear it. I am very rigid when it comes to when I allow myself to wear fragrance..if I don't review it, I can't wear it.

SO...I have had this for quite some time..even bought the 2005 version..and now..FINALLY...I allow myself some time to really let this fragrance show her stuff.

Okey doke..not MUCH more I can add..but here it goes anyway:

Intital sniff from the bottle: When I first sniffed this..I thought to myself..wow..this really does kind of smell like snow. It smells cold...like snow coming down in big, fat flakes..soundlessly while amassing in beautiful silent drifts...twinkling a bit..here and there. Cold but not distant..a happy twinkling of frosty purity..if that makes any sense. A bit sweet...sort of vanilla/tonka-like..yes..I sort of get a "play-doh" vibe..but it's not really offensive to me. Play-doh is more plastic...more like clay or something..this is a bit sweet..but not cloying..almost like a wet slushy vanilla..with MAYBE a hint of coconut??? Again it's not a barrage of sweetness to the point of toothache..but the the sum of it's whole just represents to me snowy, twinkling, cold sweetness...

Applied wet on skin: Again..it's all the same notes on my skin...and it has a surprising amount of throw. As soon as I put this on..I smile..because it just smells so good!!! :P It's amazing..how Beth can convey the "cold" in a scent that doesn't scream MINT or eucalyptus or anything...wow...

Couple minutes on skin: At this point, the fragrance is warming up and certain notes are blooming a bit more...it's all the vanilla/coconut/play-do melange really asserting themselves..the "cold" is gone now..but who cares??? It's all about the addicting melange I am getting big whiffs of..can I tell you again how much throw I get from this??? I am not sure I register any floral..if so it is very diminutive in its presence...but perhaps it's the component that prevents this from being classified to me as a "foody" scent??? One might assume that from what I am describing this could be akin to some sort of bakery/candy fragrance..and I don't get that at all from Snow White.

Drying on skin: The "cold" /"snowy" notes come back and say hi with the previous party...I am in love with this fragrance.

Drydown:Same players..with basically that sweet/snowy/touch play-do trio still hanging around on the dance floor.

Staying power on this is impressive..9+hours..I kid you not..I had it on all day yesterday, re-applied before going to dinner...went out, came back, went to bed in my t-shirt and the wonderful waft of Snow White greeted me this morning.

Bottom Line:As I knew in 2005 Snow White is a home run. Probably one of the best loved fragrances in the BPAL catalog and one that I deem worthy enough to buy multiple bottles. I love her..and can't wait to get the 2006 version this year..