Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
abejita

Red Moon 2007

... Our blend for this Moon mixes traditional lunar oils with the warmth of amber, red musk, and heliotrope, the russet haze of dragon's blood resin, sunflower, and crushed orange peel, with a dusting of summertime herbs: chamomile, rue, elder flower and marigold.

In the bottle – Red musk and a layer of orange peel

Wet on me – Bubbly red musk, oddly I would have said that the throw was all lotus, but I don’t know where that’s coming from

Dry on me – Warm dry red musk sprinkled with brown sugar and flecks of a peppery herb

Overall – Perfect, sensual yet comforting, but also light and up lifting. This is a blend that I could wear every day and be special enough for an occasion Edited by Shollin

I've been putting off reviewing this one, because it's such a THWACK of red musk that's mostly what I get. Don't get me wrong. I love red musk, and I love Red Moon, but it's pretty overwhelmingly red musk on me. Everything else is a bit player, except the dragon's blood resin, which at least has a walk-on with a few lines.

In the bottle, I get RED MUSK and a hint of citrus.

Wet, it's RED MUSK and dragon's blood.

Drying down, I get some very complex backnotes coming out, and a vague herbal quality, but it's still overwhelmingly RED MUSK and dragon's blood. As the day wears on, it's RED MUSK with a very complex sweetish back note, where I can't pick out any single note, which is unusual for me. Good thing red musk is one of my favorite notes, because Red Moon on me has it agressively in-your-face at every stage.

The only notes I can really distinguish here is the sunflower and red musk, mainly due to having an untrained nose, I think. Anyway, it is beautiful. I love it :P

Edited by *Dani*

I was really nervous about this scent, because ambers tend to go to powder on me and musks are hit or miss, but I wanted to give it a try.

I'm glad I did. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at picking out individual notes in scents (I tend to look for common elements in scents I like/dislike to figure out what it is), so I can't provide more than an evocative description -- it's warm, it's a little deep, it's earthy. I think the depth/earthiness are likely from the musk and dragon's blood, as I barely smell the amber at all (and it certainly doesn't go all sweet/powdery).

There's a floral there, too, but it's subtler - just enough to lend a little effervescence to the mix and keep it from getting too deep.

(thanks delicate_fangs! :D)

Short review: Sensual and warm red musk

In depth: On me the main player in this oil is definately red musk, of the same kind as that one in Scherezade. To me, this is a Good Thing. The orange peel, herbs and floral notes are faint, but they are subtly present, adding a sweet and golden haze to the red musk. The Dragon's blood resin and amber notes are surprisingly quiet on me.

Red musk tends to be kind of sweet, incense-y and candy-like on me, and this one is no exception, but I love the smell, so I definately love this blend. It is a warm and womanly scent :P

I waffled on getting this up to the last second—I knew I wanted Leo and Allison Gross but I was iffy about Red Moon. However I am soo glad I did get because it has been my favorite of the bunch. It’s sexy, summery, and infinitely wearable like a gauzy red patterned sun dress that is always flattering. It’s more of a skin scent after awhile but one that I could see cuddling up into in those moments of late summer twilight. Warm, spicy, yet light this incarnation is definitely lovely.

Rating: 4/5

Red Moon. I dont know about this one. :P It smells nothing like it did the first time it came out. I looked back at the ingredients and it says that it has red musk in it. The last Red Moon did not have red musk and it smelled like a softer version of Tintagel. Now this one smells kind of masculine and similar to a lot of other blends. I liked the first version a lot better. I dont know if I will keep this. :D

This was a bit of a surprise in it's effect. It is gentler than I expect from a dragon's blood formulation. The ad copy speaks of rest before the harvest, and for once, it's not that bad a description. It is complex, but restful, a mix of musk/resin with a hint of outdoors and growing things, a peculiar mix of the decadent and the fresh. Under the langor there lurks tiny teeth, scents suggestive of the sharper season coming sleeping under the lazy august sun.

Oh my GOSH.

I just got a bottle of this, and I might need another.

LOVE LOVE LOVE.

I'm an August baby and it's always been my favorite month, and this scent captures everything I love about it without smelling anything LIKE August. It's...a red moon, bloody and roiling in the sky, making trouble.

I ADORE the label as well. I think it's my favorite so far.

Of course, I love nearly anything with dragon's blood, and red musk has never done me wrong. Amber is quickly becoming one of my favorite notes too!

This reminds me of Smaug the dragon from The Hobbit.

Edited by starwild

i've been sitting on this bottle (not literally, ow) for quite a long time before reviewing; it was actually one of the first ones i got from a forum member.

in the bottle sweet and dusty floral with an almost spicy scent, similar to carnation. very rich.

wet on skin there's something that smells like orange blossom, but YAHOO! it doesn't actually have orange blossom, so hopefully it won't go plasticky on me.

dry on skin this is such a vibrant, beautiful, dusky floral. the dragon's blood keeps it nice and sweet and the orange just rounds it off nicely without imparting any citrus overtones to it. the herbs are dry, sweet herbs, not bright green. there's just a trace of musk to give it real warmth. i slathered this, hardcore, and enjoyed every moment of it. it's a very grown-up scent and speaks of endings, but not unhappy ones.

Edited by ravenfeathers

WHOOOSH! Did you hear that?.....That was the sound of Red Moon zooming to the top of my favourite Lunacy oil so far list.. I knew I would like it!

When it's wet it's a spicy orange smell, absolutely gorgeous. It reminds me of Christmas.

But as it dries the orange fades by about 50% and allows other things to come out to play. Musk and something very exotic and almost...vaniallry. That's probably just my body chemistry though, it seems to find vanilla in blends that don't even contain it.

I really wish I knew how to describe this one better. Its frustrating me, it smells like no other oil I have tried so far....and I will be hoarding this from the for sale forums so HANDS OFF!!! hehe.

:P

Yum!!!

Wet, I can smell the orange spice, and then it dries into a warm, spicy, musky, dragon's-blood potion of goodness. The amber is going very powdery on me, even though I do like it. (Yup, I guess I'm one of those people.)

Overall, this is a great little scent, a spicier and darker version of Dragon's Milk to my (untrained) nose.

:P Dragging out some decimals here - 4.3 out of 5 (would be higher if amber didn't go to baby powder on me, but that's a personal thing)

this is really nice stuff. very warm and amber-musky. i can't pick out many notes, since it is well blended, but i do put it in the same camp with trick #1 and the ecstasy of passion, which are 2 of my absolute favorites. it doesn't smell exactly like them, but i get a similar feel from them. i only have a half-imp, but i may track down a bottle one of these days.

In vial: rich, russet-red, and gorgeous! It's gender neutral, with the lovely warmth of amber and red musk and a sophisticated blend of other notes peeking through.

Wet on skin: 1st thought: this is a bit like Debauchery!

2nd thought: it's sweeter, prettier and more complex than Debauchery, although it has a similar rich, fruity smoothness. Brilliant!

Dry on skin: this is lovely. It has a very comfortable amount of throw, despite being faint close to the skin. I can detect orange peel and chamomile, but it's mostly a subtle, warm, slightly smoky glow.

a warm, outdoorsy, summery scent, without being overly floral. i smell sugared citrus and bold, fruity red musk, combined with medicinal, bitter herbs, especially chamomile. i really thought there was lotus in this because of the fruitiness, like red berries. i’m not picking up the dragon’s blood at all. i like the complex combination of sweet and bitter notes. the downside is that it seems to fade quickly and i need to apply more.

I didn't much care for this one, but I did try it a couple of times. The Red Musk is just too strong for me. I get along much better with the Dragon's Blood. My sister said it smelled like old lady perfume on me.

Oh my word! This is sooooooo good its impossible to resist!

The notes I get mostly, I beleive, are red musk and amber.

IMO this is a sexy, femenine scent. Absolutetly gorgeous. The throw is amazing and it lasts on me the entire day.

I am in love! :P

Bottle: Orange peel and amber. Amber usually tramps all over the other scents when I smell them in the bottle. It's like a weird black hole of scent. I know it's amber because I can't really smell anything.

Wet: Musk! Lots and lots of beautiful, billowing red musk. Then it starts to smell like rootbeer. Which is okay. I like rootbeer. The rootbeer stage lasts for a few minutes and then the marigold and chamomile creep out. Especially from far away, I smell the florals and the orange peel. It's dominantly marigold but I get a faint hint of my precious chamomile and a whisper of elderflower. I can't really detect rue. The dragon's blood resin is surprisingly well behaved. It just adds a sexy sweetness overall.

Dry: It's very similar to the tail end of the dry down. The dragon's blood is a bit more present and I definitely get the marigold strong and clear. This is sexy in a weird sort of way. In my mind, it evokes lying in the garden with the one you love right at dusk. It does smell like an August type of scent, sort of languid and sultry. It's a hot scent but it's reigned in enough that it's not overwhelming for hot weather.

Throw: Good. The florals throw, the musk and amber stay close to the skin.

Overall: I'd sort of forgotten I own this. It's good thing I discovered I had it at the beginning of summer and not the end.

bottle: quite sweet, but not sickly sweet. the herbs are present, but subtle.

wet: the sweet of the dragon's blood resin and orange is clearer. the herbs haven't distinguished themselves any more, but aren't overshadowed by the orange, either.

dry: mellowing, the herbs and florals are more present but not taking over. the red musk is adding itself to the general sweetness but I'm not getting a lot of the amber, yet.

later: it smells...red. really - warm, sweet, like a sunset at the end of summer in a bottle.

This reminds me a bit of Dionysia, without quite so much of the sexual whack to it. It's a red scent instead of purple, and the dragon's blood resin is a different kind of spice, but it's the same type of glorious morph that starts out kinda fruity and dries into a lovely warm incense. I really like this and I think I will be keeping my eyes out for a bottle.

In the bottle: Thick, sweet dragon's blood and a zip of orange

Applied: The dragon's blood is still strong but Red Moon is also blazing with amber and red musk. After a few breaths I begin to smell something floral tucked underneath. The floral is almost a bit bubbly in feel...I'm assuming that is heliotrope.

Drydown: It morphs into a drier scent. The musk is still lingering as a back drop to partially dried herbs including a nice spicy marigold.

Overall: Complex...there is a lot here. It is a haze of rosy orange scents like that reddish veil over the moon. It makes me want to just stop, breathe and imagine.

Red Moon is very faint on me - the musk and amber fade into my skin leaving a breath of spicy florals behind. I like it a lot - it's nice to have a spice that neither smells like a giant pumpkin pie nor goes all dirty like the spices in Snake Oil do. I wish this were a bit stronger - but maybe I should take the fact the BPAL red musks smells like me as a compliment :P It reminds me a lot of the Villainess LE Trauma, which I love. In fact - I think I'm going to go layer the two now.

I received this as a swap from a lovely forumite, and what a great swap! I'm trying to imagine what this will be like when it is hot out, (which will be quite some time). I have a tendency to love the smell of flowers, but not on me, hence florals don't work for me. The exception is violet, carnation, some roses, and HELIOTROPE!! I love heliotrope, and Red Moon has it good. I'm also a big red musk fan, and I'm thinking the sunflowers may like me as well. I'm so excited over this RM, I may try to track down the 04 version (good luck huh!). This is an awesome blend, and I can't say enough good things about it. Everything is so well put together. I barely get any dragon's blood, which is a good thing for me, so any db haters give this one a try!

eta: The only negative is that I put it on two hours ago, and it has pretty much faded, so it needs to be slathered for me.

Edited by milo

I feel like the musk really fades on application on me, and I get spicy florals, esp. the sunflower. I'm digging this more than I thought. It's more of a 'hot desert' sort of feel. It's the evocation of a hot summer, the sun scorching the fields. That's what it makes me think of.

I wore this one a lot last summer. I smeared it on my wrists and hair and basked in the wafting orange-heliotrope sweetness. It developed into a dragon's blood wine scent, with dried fruit and a sweet chamomile base - lush in a sort of innocent, earthy way. It wore really well with heat and sweat of summer. (All hail BPAL in summer! ;) )