Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Vanilla

Lush to BPAL scent comparisons (BNever included too)

is there a BPAL that smells like Lush's Retread conditioner? I just love the way it smells! but when I put BPAL in my hair after using it the scents conflict :P

or perhaps something that would compliment or enhance the smell of Retread?

is there a BPAL that smells like Lush's Retread conditioner? I just love the way it smells! but when I put BPAL in my hair after using it the scents conflict :D

My caveat is that sometimes Lush products smell as different to two people as BPAL scents do - but if Retread smells creamy and fruity with a dominant note of melon to you like it does to me, my suggestions might work. :P

Earth Rat, which is still available on the LE page, is getting lots of raves from people who love melon notes, although I have not tried it yet. Yemaya is the only GC scent that lists melon as a note and seems dominantly melon (although Ogun contains it in the description, the other notes in it are really strong and people don't seem to smell a lot of melon in it). Also from the GC, Titania smells a little melony to a lot of people as does Tzadikim Nistarim, and some others that get "melon" comments in reviews although it's not a listed note are 51, Eris and Tweedledum. Harder to find LEs and discontinued scents that you might want to grab if you stumble on them: Mi Go Brain Canister, Ingenue, Blue Moon 07 and 04, Fruit Moon and Selkie.

If melon is what you like about Retread you might want to try some of the BPAL cucumber or mango scents too, depending on what they're blended with, these notes can smell similar to some people.

is there a BPAL that smells like Lush's Retread conditioner? I just love the way it smells! but when I put BPAL in my hair after using it the scents conflict :D

My caveat is that sometimes Lush products smell as different to two people as BPAL scents do - but if Retread smells creamy and fruity with a dominant note of melon to you like it does to me, my suggestions might work. :P

Earth Rat, which is still available on the LE page, is getting lots of raves from people who love melon notes, although I have not tried it yet. Yemaya is the only GC scent that lists melon as a note and seems dominantly melon (although Ogun contains it in the description, the other notes in it are really strong and people don't seem to smell a lot of melon in it). Also from the GC, Titania smells a little melony to a lot of people as does Tzadikim Nistarim, and some others that get "melon" comments in reviews although it's not a listed note are 51, Eris and Tweedledum. Harder to find LEs and discontinued scents that you might want to grab if you stumble on them: Mi Go Brain Canister, Ingenue, Blue Moon 07 and 04, Fruit Moon and Selkie.

If melon is what you like about Retread you might want to try some of the BPAL cucumber or mango scents too, depending on what they're blended with, these notes can smell similar to some people.

I actually don't get a lot of melon from Retread and its not sweet like melon usually is, to me it's slightly greener, but not herbal.

I've ordered a bottle of Earth Rat already, and the decant I got smelled fruity and floral, but not a lot of melon. I've actually got a bottle of Blue Moon 07 (04 seems out of my reach) I'd love Selkie, it's been on my wishlist for a while but I haven't managed to get it. I'll keep my eyes out for Mi Go Brain Canister and Ingenue though.

I'll have to see about getting an imp pack with those GC you mentioned when I make my next order, and give them a shot.

thanks so much for the recs!!!

Dorian: Butterball, Honey I Washed the Kids, Mange Too, Emperor of Ice Cream, Almond and Coconut Smoothie

Cheshire Cat: Happy Hippy, King of the Mods (Without the nice thick, red blackcurrant smell)

The Unicorn: Smells vaguely like Lily Savon, would at least go wonderfully with it

Cockaigne: Goes well with Karma, Christmas Kisses, Wiccy Magic Muscles, and smells almost exactly like Pied de Pepper

Antique Lace: Floating Island, Sympathy for the Skin

Bliss: Soft Coeur, Cupcake Mask and Heavenly Bodies

Bon Vivant: Champagne Supernova, Christmas Party, Champagne Snow Showers

Ephemera: Isn't a scent match, but goes BEAUTIFULLY with Figs and Leaves Soap.

Hesperides: Temptation Soap

Juke Joint: Demon in the Dark Soap

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo: Rock Star & Candy Fluff, goes well with Sweetie Pie

Two, Five, and Seven: Potion solid perfume, Eau Roma Water

Kyoto: Sakura, Seanick

Prague: Lily Savon

Love Lies Bleeding: Use Soft Coeur as a moisturizer and finish off with Candy Fluff

If anyone has any perfumes that they LOVE but can't find a match, PM me and send me like a drop of it on a piece of paper or an imp and I'll go through the store and make you a cocktail, find you a coordinating soap, all those fun things! :P I'm lucky enough to work there so I have all sorts of time to pick you out some fun stuff. :D

I absolutely adore You Snap the Whip, which is described as cassis/black currant and bergamot, although I think the cocoa butter must contribute considerably to the scent. It's basically chocolate and a rich tart fruit, which I looove - I keep some crumbles in the butter tin so I can sniff it every so often even when I'm out of the butter itself.

I've looked at some of the BPAL perfumes that include those ingredients, but I haven't come across any that seem to match it - does anyone have recommendations that are close?

Ummm.... Is there anyone else who thinks that Luperci 2008 smells like Tramp with honey?

On my skin the honey and musk take over very quickly but in a locket it stays very Tramp-like with a lot of sweetness added.

I think the drydown of Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo is very similar to Think Pink bath bomb. I thought it was Rock Star soap at first, and it is similar, but for Think Pink it is identical. :P

I recently bought a Kiss Me Klimpt ballistic from someone and I'm in love. It smells very expensive and golden, yet refined, more Princess Grace than Paris Hilton. It makes me think of Coco Chanel perfume, but without the tinge of alcohol.

Any suggestions for a similar scent?

I recently bought a Kiss Me Klimpt ballistic from someone and I'm in love. It smells very expensive and golden, yet refined, more Princess Grace than Paris Hilton. It makes me think of Coco Chanel perfume, but without the tinge of alcohol.

Oooo, lucky! I never got to try one of those. Any idea what's in it?

I absolutely adore You Snap the Whip, which is described as cassis/black currant and bergamot, although I think the cocoa butter must contribute considerably to the scent. It's basically chocolate and a rich tart fruit, which I looove - I keep some crumbles in the butter tin so I can sniff it every so often even when I'm out of the butter itself.

I've looked at some of the BPAL perfumes that include those ingredients, but I haven't come across any that seem to match it - does anyone have recommendations that are close?

The Phantom Calliope?

I recently bought a Kiss Me Klimt ballistic from someone and I'm in love. It smells very expensive and golden, yet refined, more Princess Grace than Paris Hilton. It makes me think of Coco Chanel perfume, but without the tinge of alcohol.

Oooo, lucky! I never got to try one of those. Any idea what's in it?

Here's the listing for it. Too bad they no longer have a photo of it. I'm actually surprised I love it so much because it's got roses in it. (not a rose fan) I think must be the ylang ylang I love so much.

Edited by maansloep

*sigh* I've scaned all 19 pages of this thread and not a single mention of Blackberry Bomb.

Any and all suggestions as to what would match that will be greatly appreciated!

Have you tried Tweedledee? There's an initial citrus kick from the kumquat but just a little while later the scent was more purple fruit-smelling to me. Prospero is another super-purple scent with a dark, sweet drydown and I love it like crazy---it doesn't smell boozy or wine-y on me, thank goodness. I adore the scent and color of Blackberry Bomb and I always wish that Lush would make a solid perfume or lotion with the same scent. Sultana is supposed to smell just like BBB but there's some sort of slight difference I can't quite put my finger on. I will say that the scent of Sultana soap sticks beautifully to the skin and is almost like wearing perfume.

Good luck, Baudelaire, and if you ever come across any BBB smell-alikes, please let us know! :P

ETA:

Does anyone know if Wezwanie/Hold smells like Nutts Massage bar? The reviews sort of sound like it's along the same lines as Nutts and the notes sound like they'd create something close. I love the scent of NMB but I can't touch my 1 year-old after using it or she'll get red spots.

Edited by HappyLoveJoy

I love Lush's Angel's on Bare Skin, does anyone know of a BPAL that smells similar?

I love AOBS myself, and I think Marie is pretty close--It has Rose and Lavender.

I searched the topic, but nothing came up. Is there anything similar to the scent of aura suavis? This is my fave summertime sg and bb. Thx!

I haven't tried Alice yet, but I have the Potion solid perfume and love it so much it makes my mouth water. :P Can someone who has tried both please tell me how Alice compares with the Potion solid?

Just popping in to say that Violet Ray goes really well with Lilly Savon. I think I may get a bottle for my sister-in-law who loves lillies. I know that VR doesn't have lillies but I think the notes all together smell like a fresh lilly. Anyway they're both very classy.

Oh and for those who love Blackberry Bomb, you should try the East. I know it's supposed to be currants but to me it smells like blackberries and it also has a floral. They will pair well together.

I haven't tried Alice yet, but I have the Potion solid perfume and love it so much it makes my mouth water. :P Can someone who has tried both please tell me how Alice compares with the Potion solid?

Maiden is more tea-y than potion but I recall it has a similar 'bright carnationsy-rose' feel.

Maiden is more tea-y than potion but I recall it has a similar 'bright carnationsy-rose' feel.

I have to disagree. Maiden has a lot of rose in it. People usually say Alice or Queen Alice, and I tried only one and I can't remember which. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful about the carnation. But the spices are pretty similar in Morocco.

I just tried Ladon, and it morphed from apples into a slightly-more-floral version of HIWTK on me :P Which is awesome, because I like HIWTK, I just definitely wasn't expecting it. I don't know if it's just my skin chemistry or what, because I don't think I've seen anyone else get that from it.

The Phantom Calliope?

A few months later I actually see this response. lol. That's one of the scents I have been considering, but the reviews mostly seem to point out the cherry, and I'm afraid of the patchouli - at least in terms of trying to match the scent. And it's not impable, so I'm waffling on whether to buy a bottle and hope I like it even if it's not at all like YSTW...

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but Hermia is basically Rock Star plus pink pepper. Given that Rock Star is one of my favourite soaps... :P

I was looking for Karma-alikes, and here's what the thread has so far (yea I'm a little obsessive):

Masquerade - well behaved Karma, less head shoppy, good spicy smells, more earthy

Vixen - more sweet and orangey, less hippie shop

Ravenous - sexier version, more fiery

Sin

Old Madrid

Obeah - but maybe more like Amazonian

Mantis - muskier, a bit darker and more complex. same bright orange-patchouli

Lucifer - smelled a bit like Karma

Dragon's Blood - complimentary

Seraglio - complimentary

Cockaigne - complimentary

Any comments, cautions? Does Old Madrid mean that plain ol' Madrid isn't the same thing?