Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Vanilla

Lush to BPAL scent comparisons (BNever included too)

Okay...Snow White...beautiful and complex, but I'm having a bit of trouble classifying it. And I'm really anal and OCD about wanting to complement my fragrances.

I think Snow White would go well with the Lush Snowcake, because of the almost edible undercurrent to Snow White. BUT...does anyone else think it would go well with other "cold florals", as I call them? I tend to think of sweet rose, violet, lily, etc., as "cold floral". Does that make sense? Okay, I'm rambling; sorry :P

Anyway, what are some good layerings for Snow White?

hello-

does anyone know of any current bpal that smells similar to the Sakura bathbomb?

i've tried succubus thinking most of the ingredients were the same or similar, but the scent ends up turning into a perfumey soap...nothing like sakura at all.

i've also tried kyoto, that seemed a bit closer to me, but slightly different.

thank you :P

hello-

does anyone know of any current bpal that smells similar to the Sakura bathbomb?

To me, Spirit of the Komachi Cherry Tree smells very similar. It's a salon, so that's $25 per bottle and it may be tricky finding a decant, but it's a very close match.

:P I second that rec - it's not exact, but it's the closest thing I have tried. To me Kyoto is fruitier than Sakura, but Spirit is floral and has lots of that cherry blossom-mimosa scent that I get from Sakura.

Um, so I tried Lush's B Never Cocktail guest soap, and I am obsessed!! It is soooooo gorgeous, it smells so awesome....and it's a holiday-07 limited edition soap..... :P

The notes aren't similar at all, but when I smelled Cocktail it reminded me of how Samhain '07 smells on me, sugary with a slight apple note.

I've been trying to track down something that smells similar to the Green Party bath ballistic that was out this Christmas (and I now have a massive hoard of!). They mention galbanum, bergamot and ylang ylang in the description - along with unspecified 'perfume' - I've seen someone else compare it to Chanel Christalle and I can see the similarity - any ideas on BPAL that might match up?

Thanks!

:D

Does anyone know of a BPAL similar to Lush's Olive Branch shower gel? I love it!

Sara

:P

I posted a few pages back that Kuang-Shi (mandarin orange, white musk, mango, and white sandalwood) reminds me of The Olive Branch. :D I think that's your best bet.

The scent of Olive Branch seems to be mostly bergamot and white musk, so maybe Oberon would be another one to try? The Lab description for that one is Orchid, white musk, and bergamot wafting over juniper berries, with a gentle touch of soft, earthy patchouli. I haven't sniffed it though, so I don't know if it's actually similar.

Does anyone know of a BPAL similar to Lush's Olive Branch shower gel? I love it!

Sara

:P

I posted a few pages back that Kuang-Shi (mandarin orange, white musk, mango, and white sandalwood) reminds me of The Olive Branch. :) I think that's your best bet.

The scent of Olive Branch seems to be mostly bergamot and white musk, so maybe Oberon would be another one to try? The Lab description for that one is Orchid, white musk, and bergamot wafting over juniper berries, with a gentle touch of soft, earthy patchouli. I haven't sniffed it though, so I don't know if it's actually similar.

Thanks for that, I'm adding Kuang Shi to my to-buy list! I heard Black Opal was rather similar too, so I've bought a 5ml of that but wasn't too sure about it after double-checking the description. Anyhoo, we'll see..

If you're looking for the posts that refer to one scent, try this trick - look to the bottom left below the last post on the page. You'll see a box that says "Enter Keywords" and a button beside it that says "Search Topic." Type in "olive" or "fairy" or whatever you like and you will get a list of all the posts within the topic where someone's mentioned your favorite Lush smell.

I just ordered Dark Delicacies the other day and it immediately smelled like an old friend but I couldn't think of what it reminded me of. Until I was cleaning and opened a cabinet to see my Icon bottle! (down to two, gasp)

Course, I might have weird skin chemistry or something. :P

Lately, I thought that Lucifer smelled a bit like Karma, Mad Meg a little like Middle Earth and Three Gorgons a very little bit like The Olive Branch. :P

Has anyone tried layering Lush's "Go Green", either the solid or spray with BPAL? If so, what did you try, if not, any suggestions?

Here is the description of the scent:

A citric blend of grapefruit, bergamot and neroli oils refresh while earthy vetivert calms and sweet, woodsy sandalwood oil encourages well-being. Cedar leaf, fennel and thyme oils add to the fresh, just-emerged-from-a-field aromatic bouquet.

I love Lush's Angel's on Bare Skin, does anyone know of a BPAL that smells similar?

Angels on Bare Skin just smells like Lavender to me.

And I think that Dream Formula II: Baku in the Somnium section is pretty much Lavender.

Baku has a lot of anise too. You might want to try Somnus as well but that has a lot of rose on me. I love Angels on Bare Skin too, while it is mostly lavender there is something else too. *goes to sniff* Maybe that is the scent of the almond and rice flour base that makes it a bit... creamier?

If anyone has better suggestions they are very welcome!

Baku has a lot of anise too.

weird, I can't smell any anise whatsoever. Just lavender.

Lavender/Anise is one of my most popular soaps too. ha.

I love Lush's Angel's on Bare Skin, does anyone know of a BPAL that smells similar?

The TAL sleep blend, Nocturne, smells very similar to AOBS to me.

Does anyone have new suggestions for things that smell like Gavarnie/Flowertub (and Jungle, to a lesser extent)? I still have a sliver of Gavarnie left and I'll be so sad when it's gone, as it seems not to be getting any remake love lately.

It's not a specific Lush product, but I think that Masquerade smells like the mingled scent of many Lush products together in one place - it's not exactly the smell of a Lush shop, but it certainly reminds me of one!

Patchouli, ambergris, carnation and orange blossom.

:P Galen, that is the one that always comes to mind when people talk about "the Lush shop smell" for me too. Although I can wear all of those notes, for some reason I can't wear them in the combination that is Masquerade, so I just passed my bottle along to a more suitable home. It's such a lovely smell, though, I may have to collect some imps and make some sachets or something :D I can't let go!

When I have a minute, I need to go thru this thread and compile the most common blends people have suggested for the "Lush smell" and add that to one of the pinned posts, maybe the Short Guide to Common Recs or the one on comparisons to commercial perfumes...

Does anyone have new suggestions for things that smell like Gavarnie/Flowertub (and Jungle, to a lesser extent)? I still have a sliver of Gavarnie left and I'll be so sad when it's gone, as it seems not to be getting any remake love lately.

We need to get cupide430 in here to answer this, she is the Gavarnie addict and springtime-floral expert! I love those green-floral-springtime BPAL blends, and although I've never thought to myself, "Ooh, exact match for Gavarnie!" both versions of Beltane, One to Tie, Two to Win (which I almost hate to mention), Prague, Pontarlier, Tarot: Temperance (another that's hard to find) and Flower Moon are the ones that come to mind. Garden Path With Chickens is awesome but to me there's a wee hit of something aquatic that takes it over the line from pure flowers, grass & stems - definitely worth a try, though, if you're having a spring fling, Gavarnie party. :D

There's a thread here about fresh, wet, green florals - when I went to look it up, I noticed that the OP actually mentioned Jungle and Flower Market when she was describing what she wanted. So you might find some ideas there, too.

Viva la Gavarnie! *punches sky*

I'd love something Jungle-like too, but haven't really found any good matches.

From the one you suggest, I do love One to Tie, Two to Win, and Pontarlier is on my wishlist at the moment. From the thread you reference, Tenochtitlan is a great suggestion, and Eden's a good choice too. I love Bayou but it's a heavy humid floral on me, rather than a green scent.

Not strictly grassy scents, but I love them for being very fresh are Roadhouse (dandelions) and Rosalind (sweet berries but I get a very green vibe from this).