Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Poisoned Apple

A perfect, lovely, gleaming red apple whose sweetness masks a swirl of narcotic opium, oleander, and hemlock.

In the imp:
Murky, sour apple. I can totally understand why it's "poisoned", because it smells a little scary.

Wet:
APPLE APPLE APPLE. Nothing but apple, and then after about 5 minutes, something that smells a bit like the "Apple Dumplin'" doll (I think that was her name--she was one of Strawberry Shortcake's friends) I had as a kid. This is not a bad thing. After a few more minutes, the scent "matures" and is apple with... something floralish. I'm guessing I am picking up on the opium now, but since I'm not really sure what hemlock and oleander smell like, I don't really know.

Dry:
Incensey, floral apple. I will totally wear this, and it's probably going on the big-bottle list.

In Imp: Strong apple.

Wet: Granny Smith apple, although the description says red apple. Not your average apple scent! Kind of reminds me of an apple candle, but much deeper. The oleander lies underneath the apple, and is a nice finish to the nose. Following the oleander is something more…..sinister. Dark and reminds me of something outdoors, on a hot summer night. This after-scent kind of hangs around in your nose, at the back of your throat. Not a bad thing, just really different.

½ hr. Dry Down: Muted apple, oleander is there but not overpowering any longer. I get the sweetness now. I would buy a bottle of this. It is very different in a good way! Something that I'd wear and my customers would remember by.

I loved this scent! Crisp, juicy apples that dries down to a lighter floral-apple scent. Very pretty!

ADDED 5/2/09:

Poisoned Apple starts off fresh and juicy, smelling exactly like a good apple after you've taken the first crunchy bite, with a subtle perfume-y, floral musky background. As it dries, the apple fades away and the background notes come out to play, but they're beautiful. Definitely more dark and sultry than the innocence of the apple, but oh so pretty. Definitely wanting a bottle of this!

In the imp: Apple and something else.

On Skin: Apple and something warm and floral. This is the same sort of juicy apple that you find in the Hesperides, but minus the warmth. This isn't foody, but rather a perfumed apple.

On Drydown: More of the flowers, I think particularly the oleander, wins.

After like 5 hours: Floral

Verdict: As an apple scent, I like this better than the Hesperides which was a tad too foody on me. On the other hand, this isn't a comforting scent. This is definitely something a little more sinister, a little more wicked. It might smell like an apple, but it isn't just an apple. Personally, not so keen on the oleander, but as a concept this has been fantastically executed. Bravo labbies!

:P LOVE this one.

MacIntosh apples, a bit tart, but sweet as well.

I get a hint of the opium under the apple, but no sign of the hemlock.

As it dries down, the apple softens and opium comes through a bit more but the apple is still the dominant note.

I find myself sniffing my wrist over and over again.

This was a chance purchase from the lab without previous testing and I'm pleased with this!!!

:D

Poisoned Apple smells very much like a Granny Smith apple to me, green, tart and crisp. Yes, there is something darker lurking in the background, but not enough to muddle the very realistic apple scent.

I wore this to bed last night and when I woke up it was completely gone, which is fairly rare for a BPAL blend - usually I can still smell at least a faint whiff of the oil I have been wearing but here, nothing.

I will have to wear Poisoned Apple again during the daytime before I decide to keep it or not, since right now I have no idea what the drydown smells like! Oh, the perils of trying new oils at night! : :P

poisonedapple.jpg

Imp: Oooh, a really fresh, juicy apple! Its got an apple cider hint to it, too, its that juicy.

Wet: Still strong apple (much like the apple in the hesperides), but I can definitely smell something more sinister underneath...almost...swampy (maybe that's the hemlock)? Occasionally, I get a faint whiff of apple that TOO sweet..almost overripe.

Drying: This evolves into a more...perfumey apple. Not perfumey in a bad sense, but in the sense that its not a foody apple blend. A really sophisticated take on the fruit. Later into drydown, there is an incredible throw of juicy, sweet apples, but up close there is a rooty deep floral scent--reminicient of lotus root, even though I don't think that's a note in this.

Overall: I really enjoy this blend! I'm going to hold onto my imp and see consider a bottle. Its lasts 6ish hrs--I do wish it had a bit more staying power...

Edited by jewelbug

Poisoned Apple is just that -- apple dipped in the dark herbs of poison. I get more of a green granny smith edge from this apple, though, than red. Of course that could be because of the narcotic herbal swirl of the other elements of the blend, driving the apple into sour ripeness. This is The Hesperides x 1000. Instead of sweet and tart, it's tart and herbal, and it's definitely hypnotic in its scent.

BIG A++ for this one, though -- it stays on my skin and confuses the people at work. :P

The sharp apple smell of Poisoned Apple in the bottle and wet on my skin actually gave me a headache. But once it dried down the hemlock and opium gave the scent some depth and I started to like it a lot.

In bottle: Hey, yeah, that's apple.

On me: Yep. Appleappleappleapple.

Also? Apple.

..did I mention the apple? Because this is apple.

But it's an apple that reminds one that apple seeds contain cyanide. There's just a touch of that opium/hemlock darkness, an afterscent post-apple - when you've already bitten in, when it's too late. :P Perfect!

In bottle: OH YEAH APPLES!

Wet: YUMMY APPLE!

Dry: Ehhh... I really don't like it on me. After it dried it smelled like a floral deodorant on me. Maybe the oleander? I hate when those are in bloom. I thought it would be great, but after the apple died down I really didn't like it that much at all.

In the Vial: Mostly apple

On application: 1st hour--Straight-up apple, all soft and juicy and luscious! I'm all about apples! Donna Karan, eat your heart out!

2 hours--something soft and powdery and slightly smoky. I think this must be the oleander, as it's similar to my other all-time fave, Hell's Belle.

Finally: Soft and powdery, with the apple bobbing up every now and again to mingle with the smoky softness. I like this one. My husband likes this one, too. May need to wear it some more to make sure it isn't a fluke. Bet this is killer in cooler weather! Quite nice!

:P

bottle: sticky, bitter apples with something kind of tangy. very pleasing.

wet: it's apply with something else... something woodsy or spooky. this puts me in mind of antique perfumes that have sat for so many decades, some scents strengthening, some weakening so the effect is unusual and alluring. apple scents always do well on me and this is one of my head-turners.

dry: dusty apples. or, perhaps, the memory of apples long gone.

Wet, it's super-duper apple. It's a sweet rather than tart apple i think, but with a bit of "bite". Later on you do get a bit of floral cutting into the apple but it's subtle and simple, nothing overpowering. the final drydown actually leaves you with that simple floral, a bit of sweetness and just the faintest hint of the apple scent that was so strong at first. odd little scent, but quite nice and perfectly apple-y ;p

Let me start off by saying that I generally hate apple scents with a passion. But, I love Poisoned Apple.

When I smelled the fragrance straight from the imp, I found myself wondering how they crammed so many apples into one tiny glass jar... And I was not excited, because, like I said, I don't like apple.

Wet, all I could smell were green Granny Smith apples, which is strange because the description says Red. Other people have said the same thing, so I know I'm not too crazy. :P

As it dried down, I began to notice other scents hidden beneath the apple, darker, menacing notes that creeped out at me. As this is called Poisoned Apple, I found this particular quality to be somewhat enchanting and very appropriate to the inspiration for the fragrance. I still have a newbie's nose, so I can't distinguish the exact scents (I know it's oleander, hemlock, and opium), but I love the way this smells on my skin. My husband loves it, too, so I'm definitely getting this in a big bottle.

Overall, this is a keeper. And it lasts longer on me than most of the others I've tried. I may have to rethink my opinion on apples...

In the vial - Amazing scent of red delicious apples - literally smells like crushed apples in the vial.

Wet - Very sweet apple with definitely something lurking underneath, but not strong enough to say what

Dry - Still very apple-y with something slightly darker beneath, but it's not making its presence obvious

Later - Basically stayed all apples - not bad, but not entirely what I had in mind either. But it has great lasting power. Definitely hanging onto it.

this is such a strong, sweet, juicy red apple scent. there is a hint of green herbal notes in the background. i would love a soap that smelled like this; it would really help wake me up in the morning! i keep waiting for the opium to turn it all smoky, but apparently it’s not happening on me. that’s ok – it smells really good :P

Bright, crisp, tart, juicy apples. As the opium comes out, the apple becomes a bit darker, a bit creamier, with a dreamy-sleepytime-feel. It is pretty, but it's not something I can see myself reaching for often. The throw is average, and this fades quickly on my skin. It's gone completely within an hour.

In the Imp Juicy red apple. The kind that's just calling out to be eaten right away with a big chunk of cheese.

Wet on skin Apple with... something else. A hint of something green and growing.

Dry on skin This actually doesn't smell like apples themselves anymore, but the smell of an apple orchard when the apples are just starting to ripen, but none have started rotting on the ground yet. I can close my eyes and imagine that I'm standing in the tall grass at the edge of the garden under the scrub apple trees that mostly fed the deer and other wildlife, but which I couldn't resist grabbing an apple from each time I passed.

In the imp: Crisp, juicy apple you could just about bite into.

Wet: Weird -- I'm getting a boozy note here, and it's not apple cider, because that Granny Smith top note is still very distinct.

Drydown: The hemlock gives it a sharp, earthy smell, and then the oleander gradually rises to the top of the moderate throw, giving everything a dominant floral tang. I wished the hemlock phase had stayed around longer, and I have to sniff fairly hard to pull out the opium close to my skin; I found this particularly odd since usually opium amps on me.

Verdict: Overall, I quite like this. I've not tested The Hesperides yet, so can't compare that, but what I get overall from this is an outdoor (and yes, sinister) apple, with that "orchard" feel others have mentioned. I'd definitely seek out more than just the sniffie I tested, although other 5mls loom higher on my wishlist.

Wow. I'm not much for apple scents, but this one is different!

It starts out like a toxic, almost evil candy apple but after a little while it gets a lovely light flowery bloom to it. I'm several hours into wearing it now and it's developed into a clean, creamy scent.

Biting into this apple was delicious and I'm now in a blissful coma.

I am always disappointed to read what others get out of BPAL apple scents, because it makes me envious lol. For some reason, BPAL's apple note is just always "off" smelling to me. Never quite like a red apple, always a little "mossy" smelling really. Every single apple scent I've tried from BPAL.

This is no different, unfortunately. It's a little bitter and quite green, with the opium doing it's funky thing in the background. This is just my chemistry though, if you have had better luck with BPAL's apple or opium notes, this is probably going to be a totally different experience for you. BUT, if you're like me and you get mossy, bitter apple from BPAL apple blends - this is probably going to be the same lol.

This is for my Love--no, I don't want to poison him! He just really loves crisp apple scents and I'm hoping this will layer well with his shower gel from B&BW. Mmm, I think he'll be delighted: really fresh, bright, *shiny* apple floats up immediately on application. That note stays true, but on drydown a soft incense/earthy note creeps in under it. He's always saying he likes earthy notes with citrus or apple and his favorite, ever, was a scrub called Spooky Apples from IoE that was apple over patchouli or similar. This should be ideal. It reminds me of an improved version of the Poison Apple candle that B&BW had last year--of course, Beth's version is better; a truer apple and a more sinister drydown!

Ok so yup...this IS apple. I would say a green apple more than red though! It's a perfumey apple when it's wet, most probably the opium. And I can detect a slight woodyness too. I'm not sure what Oleander or Hemlock smell like but I'm presuming it's one of those that's giving off the woodsy scent.

After about 30 mins the whole thing comes together beautifully. The apple calms down a bit, the opium dissapears..(Thank god) and that woodsy smell comes forward to balance things out nicely.

It smells like an apple brought in from the wood by the evil queen to kill Snow White!

I wouldn't buy a 5ml but I have two friends that have fallen in love with this. That's their Christmas present sorted!!!!!!

:P

I wasnt so sure about this scent in the bottle. The apple was too appley. Suprisingly, however, on my skin it smells amazing. The apple turns into the scent of a cold, crisp red apple (that somehow has a beautiful creaminess to it), and the undernotes of bitter poison are not overwhelming, but are there just enough to smell interesting and mysterious. My husband adored Poisoned Apple and told me all night how great I smelled. I will definetly have to purchase this again!!!!!