Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Poisoned Apple

A perfect, lovely, gleaming red apple whose sweetness masks a swirl of narcotic opium, oleander, and hemlock.

Hoping this will be the antidote to all things Marie.

Imp: Big, ripe red and green apples, falling off the tree-- miraculously-- in the dead of winter. Crushed herbs, earthy and pungent, and grass underfoot, and, from somewhere, the sinister smell of incense and opium. I freakin' love it. Fruity and dark and herbal all at once.

Wet: The apple goes a little sweeter on me than in the Imp, but nowhere near as fake and plastic as the Hesperides. It's grounded in the deeper scents of herbs and smoke. I really have to compliment Beth's hemlock scent, it really smells like walking across a clearing in the woods: just a macerated green-things smell, intertwined with apple and sweet opium and smoke. Somewhere under that is the flush smoothness of the oleander.

Dry: 5mL now, kthnxbai.

I wanted sooo badly to like this, being a fruit blend lover I thought this would work out.

I put it on and after a few minutes it becomes this powdery, apple soap smelling thing :( I will definently hold on to this hoping that something changes but right now I dont care to smell like Apple soap.

I received this as a frimp in my latest order.

Wet, this smells like a tart, shiny, crisp red apple. Especially the skin of the apple.

Dry, the apple backs off a little bit and I can smell the other notes- floral but also a little milky.

Unfortunately it doesn't have a great deal of lasting power on me. But I am enjoying it anyway!

Evil apple! This starts out red and juicy. Youthful would sum up the vibe nicely, As it dries, the hemlock and opium start to come out. I can very faintly detect the oleander here. It's a dark and sinister take on the apple. I tend not to wear fruit scents at all, but I can see myself wearing this. Unfortunately, my SO took one whiff and decided it was not for me, so off to swaps it goes.

This is gorgeous in all its stages: bottle, wet, and dry. The oil is very strong green apple with underlying veins of beautiful, deadly incense and poison. It smells lovely on my skin hours after applying. I need a 5ml!

This reminds me so much of that green glittering apple in Disney's Snow White. A deep ripe juicy apple surrounded by a dark glittering sweetness that comes from the hemlock and oleander.

In the imp: fresh apple, sweet bright and juicy.

Wet: the same gorgeous apple, made deeper by the herbs. It's very green and fresh, no trace of the heavy sweetness of The Hesperrides. While that was almost sickening this is bright and "alive" -I want to grab this apple an take a bite.

Dry: Crushed, pungent herbs, a bit of apple peel, smoke and sweet opium. That's the way Snow White's Evil Stepmother's lab probably smelled like while she was working on the apple :D

Verdict: Lush and green, a wonderful scent. It reminds me a bit of Witching Time of Night. I'm discovering that witch's herbs love my skin as much as I love them. Unfortunately it fades rather quickly but I'm tempted to get a big bottle anyway: Poisoned apple would be wonderful for spring, especially when I'm struck inside looking out of the window and pretending to study.

In the imp: a juicy red apple, with a hint of green lurking beneath. The smell reminds me of the apple orchards we go to in the fall. :heart:

On me: still apple, but the hemlock is definitely coming through making it a slightly cool scent. After about an hour, it's all green on me. That's okay though, because I just put some more on and we are back to smelling apples.

Overall: This is actually one of my favorite scents even though the apple fades so quickly. It's beautiful while it lasts and the hemlock and oleander are nice as well. I would definitely like a bottle of this, especially with summer coming up, as I feel it would be lovely to wear to beat the heat.

Ooooohhh yummy! This is the bright, juicy apple note of Verdandi with a dark and wicked sultry core! It's bright and complex enough to not be a strictly autumnal scent (though the diabolical nature of the opium lurking in the background makes me think of Halloween) and I'm looking forward to rocking this blend into the springtime! :wub2:

While the first few minutes on my skin with this oil are just straight-up apple, it mellows, soon, into something a little more grown-up than you'd expect from the initial burst of fruit. It's very smooth smelling--not tart at all--and mature. I can't really separate out the individual notes once it's settled down, except for the apple, and even that is so mellow and well-blended that it's hard to say that it's definitely an apple smell. I gave this imp away to a friend (she hated every other BPAL imp I put in front of her, but this one caught her attention) and I'm starting to regret it... XD

I've always thought of apple as an indisputably cool smell, but Poisoned Apple (on me at least) is definitely warm. That's good: I love warm smells way more than cool ones. The throw seems to be minimal, but the staying power is fairly impressive for a fruit smell, which I've always found to be fleeting. Didn't require much in the way of re-application.

On another note, I have always said that fruit constantly turns to onions on my skin (sad but true!), but so far the BPAL fruit smells have been remarkably true--even coconut, which always turns godawful garlicky on me. Maybe I've outgrown it, or maybe it's just BPAL magic at work. In any case, nothing is even faintly onion-y about Poisoned Apple on me, which is kind of a miracle.

This smells wonderful on me. At first it quite strong crisp apple but a few minutes later it has soften to a beautiful sweet green apple.

I am not to good at picking out notes but it isn't overwhelmingly apple or opium but a really lovely blend. Yet another bottle I will have to add to my next order :D

Wet: Big, strong apple scent.

First on: Just apple on the skin.

Dry: As it dries down, it becomes sour and starts smelling a bit more like poison than apple.

In the imp: Sharp apple-y goodness. Like the first bite of a really juicy Macintosh.

Wet: More of the same. Om nom apples nom.

Dry: The apple fades pretty quickly on me, sad to say, and the other notes start coming out. It's a sweet smell without being overly floral. Still nice, but I miss the fresh-apple-ness. Need to reapply.

This was one of the first bpal's I tried and loved.

Wet- JUICY macintosh apple. Soooo yum!

Dry- Apple powder that is *poof* gone.

This scent is beautiful. I love the snow white reference (really caught my eye when I first searched bpal's website) and also the apple didn't have that fakey chemical tinge that alot of other apple-inspired scents have. It's a freshly picked apple. I don't get any of the other notes because my chemistry destroys them, leaving only pure apple for a few seconds before saying "adieu".

For a long time I neglected this scent because I thought I'd never be able to wear it with my skin devouring it the way it does. But when I tried it in my scent locket I was pleasantly surprised: This baby *amps* the yummy wet stage like crazy. I wore it in my clocket and everyone kept saying they smelled apples. =^.^=

I recently sold my Snow Glass Apples because of a need for finances. I was actually pretty sad to see it go. Poisoned Apple reminds me so much of SGA, it is crisp fresh apple. While SGA was a green apple and soft herbs, this is a red apple, juicy and sweet. There's just a hint of perfume underneath, making it a tad heavier, but only a tiny bit. It's a gorgeously clean scent, mostly just juicy apple.

Imp: Warm, rich apple with a little of my beloved opium.

Wet: The apple and opium don't morph much on the skin but this also acquires a sharp green scent that I think is the hemlock. It's not unpleasant but I hope it dries down fainter.

Dry: Alas, the hemlock becomes the major note and this is just not working on my skin. The opium is sort of buried at the bottom of all this even though it seems to be the note cooperating most with my skin. The apple is a little sickly sweet and I think it seems that way due to the contrast with the hemlock.

Throw: Moderate.

Overall: It's not unpleasant but it's also not one that I'll ever really be hankering for more of. Will probably hang onto the imp because it's an interesting drydown and sort of a bit of a scent journey but really not something I'll be wanting to wear as perfume on a regular basis.

Poisoned Apple

This is like a supernaturally-preserved perfect apple.

It smells like a juicy red delicious apple! The perfect apple scent I've been looking for. As it dries a bit of floral comes out making it sweeter and a bit more complex but still delicious red apple. I was frimped this and thought it wouldn't be apple enough and would be mainly poison but I was wrong. It's all apple and no poison.

I really enjoy the lab's red apple note, but on me Poisoned Apple smells almost identical to Coral Snake, which I already have a 5ml of. Handy to know for when the Carnival leaves town, though!

Edit - I'm not sure if it's skin chemistry or what but today Poisoned Apple smells exactly like biting into a ripe red apple. No apple cider like in Coral Snake, no poison... either way, it's a very true to life apple scent.

Edited by zee

In bottle: Fresh Granny Smith apple with a slight, unwelcome undercurrent of perfumey sweetness. The description claims red, but I assert that this is without doubt a green apple.

On me, wet: Loving that fresh green sour-apple sweetness.

On me, drying: The other scents (opium, oleander, and hemlock, I guess, though I’m just taking the description’s word on it) begin to subtly weave their tendrils through the fresh apple smell. They add a complexity and maturity (a sinister complexity and maturity?) that is quite nice, actually.

On me, dry: A lot of the tangy, wet freshness of the scent has subsided. Not sure I’d identify this smell as apple if I didn’t know the apple was there. I guess the opium/oleander/hemlock have gained supremacy. Not bad, but I miss my apple! Why does everything lose its magic on me when it dries?

I wanted to try this if only to better get to know BPAL's apple notes. I was curious, but I can't say I was that hopeful, even with the glowing reviews some have left. It's all ripe, ripe apple in the imp vial. On the skin, it's ripe red apple with a dark, waxy leaf green quality. Much nicer than I expected from the almost crudely plain scent out of the imp. It all goes downhill from there, though. There's a faint floral note that gets mixed up in the dark green note I liked so much, and the apple gets progressively sweeter and mushier. And then... opium. Why did I ever want to try this scent, knowing that it had an opium note? It's not particularly strong, but it adds a poisonous, oppressive powdery-floral-smoke undercurrent that has never once worked out well for me.

It doesn't morph much over time: it just fades to a weaker version of lots and lots of red apples with a bit of opium smoke and greenery. Not for me.

So nice! A Hesperides-type apple scent with a little kick to it. Unfortunately it leaves my skin very fast and would take several re-applications to stay on my skin. Too bad!

I LOVE this scent on me!! It is my favorite as of right now... nice crisp apple that evolves into a darker, dustier scent. Gorgeous....

Doesn't smell much like apples on my skin (though definitely does in the bottle), but is still absolutely magical. It must be the opium and hemlock...dark and warm and enticing, with a very very faint trace of apple underneath. Loved this one so much I purchased a 5ml of it immediately, because I was afraid I'd run out before the bottle got here.

i'm usually not a big fan of fruity scents, but this one is amazing. at first it's overwhelmingly apple-smelling, but not a sickening fake apple smell like most mainstream apple perfumes. it actually smells like i just bit into an apple. lovely. a few minutes after i put it on i started to smell the other notes. the apple is still very prominent though. overall, i really like this and recommend it to anyone who likes the smell of fresh apples.