Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Poisoned Apple

A perfect, lovely, gleaming red apple whose sweetness masks a swirl of narcotic opium, oleander, and hemlock.

Okay, maybe every girl with fair skin, "rosy" cheeks, and dark hair feels this way, but I've always felt sort of connected to the Snow White story. Not as in "omg the hunter will take me into the dark woods any day now" but in a comforting way, like it was MY fairy tale, you know? So I was crossing my fingers as I ordered this scent.

It doesn't disappoint! Poisoned Apple morphs from a pure crisp juicy apple scent (mostly red, with a tiny bit of green) to this complex incense-y apple scent. I adore it. Everyone's "evil apple" reviews are right on.

It's going on my big-bottle wishlist.

Edited by karen

Crisp red apple with a green, herbal undertone. There is no tartness to this on me- in fact, it is quite sweet, but not overly so. It has great throw and seems to have good staying power. I really, really love this. Most apple scents are cidery and fairly similar to one another, but this is completely unique and sophisticated. :P

I adore the scent of apples, so I had to get an imp of this (and almost ordered a bottle unsniffed).

As it happens ... I should have followed that impulse.

This is a beautiful apple scent -- the apple is there, and strong, and unmistakable. But the apple is also warped and twisted by the combination of green and bitter herbs.

For me, this is the apple of the Garden, with a snake lying twisted in the heart. The apple that dropped Snow White, with poison lurking in perfect flesh. The very image of sweet temptation with a bitter and poisonous result.

This is a unique and delicious apple and one that I will wear quite happily.

My only sorrow about this is that it fades down fairly quickly for me, so I'll definitely be experimenting with ways to keep it around. And picking up that big bottle. :P

I love the apple used in this, but the other notes really ruin it. I’m not sure which of the notes is the culprit, but there’s something so sharp and sour underneath the apple. The drydown after 15 minutes is just sharp and powdery, completely eating the crisp, sweet apple note :P. I suppose the concept is good (a perfect apple soured with poison), but I could never wear this one.

Beth's apple note is so true and amazing and Poisoned Apple really shows it off to advantage. This is definitely evil apple, but what I like most about it is that it really feels like apple freshly plucked, with the sharp smell of the broken stem and the faint lingering smell of the soil and even the air around the tree as the neck's been snapped from the branch. It's very visceral. To me, this is every bad apple, and there have been a few of note.

I'm not sure I would ever wear this regularly, as the apple note astounds me but never ends up being something that I turn to when I'm getting ready to leave the apartment in the morning, but I'm so glad I got a chance to try it. For people who love apple, this is a must-try.

This is bright, tart APPLE, with such an interesting undertone. I can't pick out notes, but while the apple is definitely predominant, and a must try for any apple lover, the poisons add a twist to this that make it more than an apple "single note".

What a fantastic blend! I haven't been able to give a glowing review like this since Twenty One!

Dark Red Delicious apple (not "apple" FO but honest to god real apple, tart and sweet with a underlying sinister notes of opium, and dark resins.

I've worn this everyday since I got it!

Ferret Scale of Yummy 9/10

On me this is an incredibly true apple scent- no fake sweetness at all, just crisp juiciness, with a tiny hint of opium to make it poisonous :P . This doesn't last incredibly long on my skin, but I don't mind reapplying. It is rare for me to find fresh apple scents that don't go weird (Delirium, I mean you) and acrid on me, so I am definitely going to snag a bottle of this soon. It's lovely and fresh and perfect for any time of year. What a great addition to the GC!!

This is a terrific scent. It reminds me of walking through an orchard at the height of picking season.

It stayed true on my skin and I received a few compliments but I did have to re-apply a few times during the day.

I am going to add this to my list of big bottles.

Tisha

while i am loving the concept behind this one, and am even impressed by the end result...the poison ruins the apple for me in this blend. i also detect a green, and not a shiny red apple, which i think adds to the sour notes.

Hmmm. Well, it's very appley. And a little bit floral. Doesn't smell terribly poisonous as such... more perfumey. I find BPAL's apple note sometimes seems to have a bit of a harsh synthetic edge to it -- not always; I think it depends on what it's blended with and what stage of development it's at on my skin. But I'm definitely getting that here. The ambiance, sadly, is less fairy tale than it is air freshener.

As it dries down, it becomes a bit more genuinely appley, but never all that interesting. Overall, not really a winner.

Grade: C

straight sniff from the bottle is a granny smith apple with more of a kick!

very fresh...slightly tart, tangy and soury :P

once applied the opium swirls and twirls about and a pinch of hemlock makes a short lived appearance...

lasting power is "meh" for me so i guess i will have to be slathering this one...

i am sure to be loving it more in the autumn months so

i shall put this preciousss into the cool, dark depths of my wooden bpal box

and try it in a few months :D

As a rule I don't like apple scents. To me they always smell fake or too sweet, like apple juice which I have always disliked. People around here wear that BBW scent Country Apple and it just makes me gag. BUT this is BPAL we are talking about and I still had to try it. I was certainly not disappointed! This is the freshest, juiciest apple of the bunch. Perfect; tart but not too sour. The kind of apple that really would tempt Snow White to take a bite! But this is a POISONED apple so of course there is something lurking in the background, something sinister and slightly sweet. Oooh I just love this! It's so evocative and I can even smell the green stem on this apple.

I MUST have a bottle for Fall!

After trying and really liking Verdandi, I decided to pick up imps of this and the Hesperides so that I could have an APPLE DEATHMATCH.

In the bottle it's apples, duh.

What I noticed right off putting it on is that it's a very different apple from Verdandi. Verdandi is a baked apple or a cider-- Poisoned Apple is a fresh, juicy Granny Smith apple straight from the orchard. It reminds me of when I used to go apple picking with my mother in the fall. I don't really notice the other notes so much because the apple smell is so real it's practically tangible.

My one complaint with this is that it barely lasted through lunchtime, so it's definitely one you'd have to put a lot of on.

Poisoned Apple

In the imp: crisp, wet, sweet red apple. No poison yet!

Wet on skin: the apple note does that weird thing on my skin, turns to a kind of 'cider mousse'.

Dry on skin: sharp, biting apple. This is a very tart apple, not as sweet as the scent was before it went on the skin. it is very much like Punkie Night or the Hesperides, pure apple, but the apple note is a bit odd on me-it turns to this kind of foamy cider scent, or like that 'appletise' drink, a very sharp and fizzy apple, but with an odd fermented feel to it, not the scent of a fresh, sweet red apple. I still don't smell the poisons, but the scent is becoming bitter and sour and sinister.

After a while: still apple cider, even more cider like now as I smell it fermenting, ripening and becoming a little boozy. It is very similar to Punkie Night now, only with a spike of something green-herbal to it, probably the hemlock. There's a little bit of something faintly floral, maybe the oleander, but I don't get opium, which is odd because usually opium really stands out in a scent.

I'm surprised at how long the apple sticks around, after about 2 hours, the scent is still predominantly apple (though it smells very fermented now) but there's not much in the way of opium or hemlock. The apple does smell 'dead' now, like it's crisp and sweet on the outside but with a feel of death on the inside, the flesh of the fruit has been poisoned.

After a long time, the 'dead apple' still remains, but now the scent is more like a dried white flower (oleander?) with a hint of opium smoke and poppy petals, and a green, earthy touch of hemlock.

Verdict: it's dawned on me that scents that are too heavy on the apple aren't going to work that well. I've had that suspicion since I tried Punkie Night, but a lot of scents that I love have apple in them (Les Bijoux, Bilquis, Samhain etc) but apple without enough complexity or depth means that the apple goes bizarre on me. and this happened here-it smelt like an odd mix of fizzy apple juice, cider and a weird 'foamy' scent which was fruity and maybe floral but not like apples, and then turns overripe or fermented. Having said that, this scent really does capture the idea of a poisoned apple perfectly. Smelling sweet and tempting in the imp, it then sharpens and has a tangy, almost acid tartness. And then the poisons start to appear…and the apple dies. The apple smells like it is dying, fermenting, a sweet rot, there's a definite feel of decay on the drydown of this scent. The opium is surprisingly quiet here, which was a surprise, but the poison notes subtly warp the apple into something sinister. It's not a scent I like to wear but it feels very appropriate for the concept. An apple that is fresh and appealing on the outside but rotting and deadly at it's core. Not my kind of perfume but a spot-on conceptual scent.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? no, I prefer the more complex apple scents.

If you like this, try: Hesperides, Hemlock, Ladon, Verdandi, Punkie Night, Harvest Moon

Poisoned Apple-

In Bottle: EVIL APPLE. Oh, wow, I like this a lot. It's like apple cider going to alcohol.

Wet: A floral note comes out--I hope that isn't too dominant, because I don't like it as much as the apple part. And what's this, a hint of clove? Makes sense with the apple, I suppose. I already like it better than Punkie Night because I'm not getting that waxy candle impression from it.

Dry: I'm not sure if I love this or just want to. Something in here is overwhelmingly sweet; I'm guessing it's the opium, and that's the note that dominates on dry-down. I would like to smell more of the apple! Nevertheless it's a fascinating scent, and I think I could grow to like it a lot. I already like a good deal of it a lot.

Overall: Want to try again. I do like.

Poisoned Apple is a very tart, crisp, green Granny Smith apple for about half an hour. Then the darker side comes out and the opium and oleander slithered their way out of such a luscious apple perfume.

After about six hours, there's no apple to be detected but the opium and oleander are floral and strong. The hemlock must be the backdrop note adds something like a mellow pine to the floral.

Poisoned Apple is a really lovely perfume! I'm so surprised by it. I might have to wear this another time to really know if it's a bottle-buy or not, but I love my little imp!

In the imp: Perfect red apple. This smells exactly like the apples we use to make apple pie. Sweet and juicy. Even the apple's skin is in attendance. :P

Wet on Skin: Apple with a spicy undertone. Wow, this scent is going to be PERFECT when autumn comes around in a few months. This is a perfect alternative for me to Punkie Night. For some reason the apple in that made me nauseous. This doesn't at all.

Dry: Wow. This is perfect. It is appley without being in your face. One could almost believe that I smell this good naturally. I will be needing a big bottle of this, and I can see it going into permanent rotation with Pumpkin Queen come autumn!

This starts off like a ripe freshly bitten into apple...but then the poison starts to soak in. Opium starts to take over and there's a definite herbal note in there as well. Evil yet enticing apple!!

Nice but I love The Hesperides and I really don't need multiple apple scents.

How stoked was I about this scent? Ever since I sniffed Delirium, I've been wanting something really heavy on the apple, and this did not disappoint.

In the bottle, it smells, well, like red apples, but specifically like apple peel. I can only really get the other notes when I hold it away from my nose.

The apple mellows out when it hits my skin, and after about thirty minutes or so the other notes really start to come out. After an hour and a half, I can't smell the apple at all, and it becomes a nice feminine whirl of scents. I can't pick anything out after that.

It goes a bit powdery on me after about three hours, but I don't mean that in a negative way. So, it's not exactly as appletastic as I was hoping for, but I think I prefer it this way.

Delicious tart faintly-spiced APPLE! I adore BPAL's apple note, and have been snapping up everything with it that I can get my hands on. All I have in my hands for comparison right now is The Hesperides; that's a lot sweeter and higher, a sort of yellow-gold apple. This is a greener one, but it doesn't smell GREEN, just... very tart and juicy. I was a bit wary as I'd never tried the other notes in this blend, but they definitely sit back and let apple take the lead.

I'll probably end up with a 5ml of this, as much as I try to scold myself - "you don't need more apple perfume". Who am I kidding? I need all the apple perfume I can get my hands on!

In the imp: Apples! Lovely apples with an undercurrent of something sinister. I hope it's not too sinister.

On the wrist: Yay apples! Ooh this is so nice. This may be the perfect apple scent I have been searching for!

Drydown: :P This turned pointy and powdery! Oh the injustice! *wail*

Overall: This scent has broken my heart, so I am going to be a vindictive bitch and swap it. (Or you could say I am being kind and sending it off to be with someone who loves it, I'm just consoling myself with the vindictive bitch thing.)

At first all I could smell was delicious green apple. And it smells like a REAL apple... not apple candy. Very nice. Once it started to dry, I could smell the oleander. Great scent!!!

In the bottle – Soft red apple, with something slightly dirty behind it

Wet on me – Plain apple

Dry on me – Predominantly apple with occasional wafts of opium

Overall – I like this, but it is a little one dimensional on my skin and I can’t see me reaching for it very often