Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
paperdoll

Roadhouse

Truck stop sleaze. Weedy dandelion and hops with a whiff of tobacco and hemp and a swirl of booziness.

*omg* hahahaha I feel like I need a mullet when I wear this one. I smell mostly dandelion in the beginning but the dry-down and everything else is different, but unchanging. Some weeds, a lot of stale beer, and a faint breath of tobacco. Obviously not an every day scent (or a scent to wear at all) but fantastic for how it captures an image so perfectly.

Origin:

Got an imp of this from Kimmer. :D

Preconceived notions:

I honestly didn't know what to expect from this. I wanted to try it purely out of curiosity, to be honest. :D

First sniff:

Dandelion and beer, but not an unpleasant stale beer, more fresh and foamy. I don't drink beer because I can't stand the smell, but I really, genuinely like this! I also get the faintest whiff of tobacco in hte background, but somehow this manages to be a fresh, almost paradoxically clean scent, not the dirty spilled beer and stale cigarettes scent I associate with bars and truckstops. This reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on what it is...it's not an unpleasant memory at all, so it can't be a bar I'm remembering - nothing good has ever happened to me in a bar - maybe it's a person I'm remembering...although I don't know who it could be.

Wet on skin:

Mainly dandelion on me with a hint of hemp and beer in the background. I think this reminds me of going to the county fair when I was little...it seems the most likely explanation for the happy feeling I get when I smell this. :P

This is a fresh, country kind of scent to my nose and I really like it, which is somewhat surprising as I never expected to love this...maybe like it, but not love it. :D

Dry down:

I can smell the hemp and tobacco more now but the dandelion and beer are still prominent. I'm almost positive it's the county fair this is reminding me of now and I really like the association. Some of my happiest memories come from spending summer days at the fair. :D

The bottom line:

I tried this out of pure curiosity, but I'm officially in love with this scent. Not because of the notes in it (although I love tobacco), but because of the memories it dredges up. :evil:

Roadhouse has a lovely green smell. It reminds me of Demeter's "Grass" fragrance quite a bit-however this scent is a bit softer. The dry down really allows the fragrance to become more weedy. This reminds me of early spring..right before flowers begin blooming. I cannot seem to smell the sleeze in this-it's simply delightful. :P

In the bottle: Dandelion jumps out here, in a kind of mellow way. I smell the earthiness of the hemp, and a particular sweetness (hops?). It's light and unusual.

Wearing: Oh wow, on the skin this absolutely thickens. I don't know what's thickening it, but I love it. It's not too light anymore, it's kind of heavy and unstable, but still upbeat. You know, kind of like being drunk. Despite this, I'm not getting alcohol at all, which I think is a good thing.

Later: The dandelion has passed for the most part, leaving that sweetness that must be the hops to fill it out and make it a bit feminine (but not very much so). Aside from a very faint waft of tobacco every now and then (it's VERY faint, you'd have to be looking for it), that's mostly what this is.

Overall: I really like this. It reminds me of a sunny, lazy day in late June when temperatures are just starting to get really up there, before the humidity comes out in July. It's mostly a dark yellow, but with little pieces of green here and there. Oddly, I wouldn't hesitate to call it cute, of all things. This is a perfect summer scent that I will definitely wear a lot at the appropriate time of the year.

In the bottle:

Dominant Notes: Fresh, green (but weedy, not piney), "stemmy" scent that others have described. Plus the yellow, musky, unmistakeable scent of dandilions. This is so pretty in the bottle, a bit sharp, but beautiful and dare I say... fresh? Yeah, wow.

Initial on:

Dominant notes: Dandilions persist, the green stemminess fades to the background. I *might* get a whiff of something like hops or tobacco here or there, but only just maybe. At moments it seems foamy, remeniscent of a freshly poured beer. Sometimes I catch a whiff of something dry and smokey. Mostly, this is the scent of dandilions on a balmy, lazy summer afternoon.

After a While:

Persistent notes: Dandilion! Beautiful, perfect dandilion!

Staying power: Not exceptional... in fact, pretty disappointing considering how much I adore this scent! After only a couple of hours, it's detectable only at a direct arm sniff, and I put it all over. But you know what? That won't sway me! This is BEAUTIFUL!

Overall Impressions: Childhood, summer, warmth - tons of nostalgia. I adore this. I MUST have more!

Wow! Interesting scent!

The dandelion in it makes me think of hanging sheets or clothes out on the line in the backyard as I was growing up. Clean, fresh, outsideish!

A little sharp scent in the background... But mostly clean. Not too sweet either. I rather like it!

When I first got this oil I passed up trying it several times because it just didn't grab me. I finally tried it and am totally blown away.

At first I get a wonderful green note. The dandelion is so perfect because it's not really floral but it's not too green, nor is it a typical green scent. Then I smell a wee bit of the booze, but it seems to add a certain sweetness that makes the scent deeper and more complete. On my skin the hops and the tobacco are not in the forefront, but seem to blend well with the dandelion and keep it from getting too weedy.

More than anything I am delighted in the utter uniqueness of this scent. I see a bottle in my future.

wow wet this is dandelion, and somewhat soapy which is not surprising cause dandelions have a soapiness to me

this has a very beer scent as it dries, w/ a touch of dandelion and soap

not sure if this is a keep or not, it kinda makes me queasy, but i try not to judge on first try as many have grown on me

At first this has a slightly sweet, slightly green smell. The tobacco isn't cherry-ish like Hearth, but still adds a sweetness to the nearly bitter dandelion. After several hours, however, I began to smell like I was sweating off a hangover, which while an interesting scent is not one that I was keen to smell like at work. If it weren't for this final stage I might be tempted to wear this one more often.

I really kind of like this. Not necessarily for a slather and run around all day scent, but maybe more for a day when I feel a little "white trash." LOL. When I smelled it before reading reviews, I noted that it started off sweet, then went green. I almost wondered if there was a rose in there somewhere.

Now that I've read reviews I am stuck on thinking it smells like that tart bit o' dandelion juice from the green stems and beer. And I like it ;-)

In The Bottle: The booze element of Roadhouse is definitely coming out. The dandelions are also there, but not really at the forefront. It smells very alcoholic, and there seems to be a slight twinge of rose that is aiding in that effect.

Wet: Okay, the booze has faded a lot, and in its place I can smell the dandelions. It's a sweet fragrance. I keep thinking that I am picking up a pear or even a sweet floral note -- on reflection, though, my skin tends to make scents sweet, so I think that this is just a strange turn of the very boozey/slightly rosey note.

10 minutes: The dandelions keep coming out more, and I finally get the tobacco note. It doesn't last for very long on my skin, but it's definitely there. It' is an understated, pleasant tobacco note, which is saying a lot considering I usually detest the scent of tobacco.

1 hour: No more tobacco, no more booze. I just get strong dandelion. There's also a sharp, green undercurrent that has that fresh-broken stem scent of angelica root.

Beyond: The dandelions are still here, yet the green note has softened a lot, which has made the whole composition begin to smell a lot like aloe.

Edited by loveandprozak

First sniff from the bottle- Hay? A field of weeds!

After 15 minutes- Ok, this smells like driving through the open country roads of Texas in the summer time in an old beat up truck. The truck is really old (a '68 Ford) and there is a mountain of old beer cans on the floorboard that have just enough leftover in them to make the truck REEK of stale beer. You are driving past mile after mile of cow fields so you can really smell the hay, dandelions and tumbleweeds. (But you can't smell the cow poo...thank goodness :P) On this little adventure down country bumpkin road you just happen to be with someone who dips and has a fresh pouch of chewing tobacco open.

That is exactly what this smells like to me.

Summery This one took me down memory lane of growing up in rural Texas. Not something I want to smell like but fascinating nonetheless.

First, a warning to all readers of my review: forgive me for being pendantic, but I'm a total beer snob, and that will likely come out in this review.

I've long been interested in this, but never ordered it, because lets face it, how appealing does roadhouse sleaze sound, even though I've spent my time in many growing up in Alaska.

finally I got a partial imp in a swap (thanks muppetk) and....wow! I like it!

Wet: green! Green, with a slight bit of booziness.

Yes, dandelions! I love this scent! Just like breaking them open and smelling the juice.

I don't smell hops at all, which is a bit disappointing. I used to brew my own beer, and I know exactly what hops smells like, and I was kind of hoping for more of that, but come to think of it, as much as I love hoppy bitterness, it wouldn't wear well.

There is a slight beer scent to me, but beer and hops are not the same scent....because what I smell is what some others have noted--that slight beery smell of a frothy cheap lager (ie. like--shudder--budwieser) which means its going to have very little true hops smell or flavor.

After it dries, it stays the same for me--lovely green dandelion, slight floral, with just a hint of beer in the background. I don't get the smoke.

If cheap beer tasted as good as this smells I'd drink it. But it doesn't.

I love this scent, though. Like many others I tried it as an experiment, but I actually think I may order a bottle. I haven't found a good summer scent yet, and many others don't work for me, but I love the greenness of this.

For me it is a happy green scent, laying outside in the sun on a lawn on a warm summer day, and the scent of beer is just the faint scent coming from the open bottle....

Wonderful stuff!

Roadhouse was a gift imp I received in a swap several months ago that I didn't pay much (ok, any) attention to, so it has been sitting in my "to try" pile for a while. A few weeks ago I was searching for a good spring scent and saw this imp. I thought - hmm, wonder what that smells like. When I opened it, I could smell the dandelion - mmm, green and fresh! Spring! I applied it lightly and the other notes came out. The hops? I'm not sure. Maybe the hemp? I have dabbed this one a few times since, being a bit nervous about smelling like a beer. I enjoy the occasional weiss, but to be honest I'd rather have a fruity drink. :D

Well, today I dove in and gave Roadhouse a real application and I am quite pleased. I do smell the hops, but it doesn't make me feel like a beer has been spilled on me. It's actually a nice, green, spring-y scent. After a few hours, it has faded to where I only occasionally get a small whiff of the hops. I wish the dandelion had hung around longer, but for the most part it is a good scent for spring. Makes me want to sit out on a patio and enjoy the sun and fresh spring smells! (And maybe even a nice beer!) :P

So this is what dandelion, hops, tobacco and hemp smells like?!?! Well, I am LOVING it! I actually had an imp of it for a while and then just got a bottle of it through a swap. Resmelling the imp really sold me to trade for the bottle.

Without the description from the lab, I get something very cheerful and rosy and slighty woodish....it does remind me a wee bit of the place my husband and I used to run a goth/indus/fetish night at.

All I know is I love this scent. It's gorgeous! I swear, Beth could make something called Nasty Decaying Guts and it would smell fantastic! :P

This smell is wonderful! It reminds me of roadtrips through the desert.

It is a very dry scent, and definitely conjures up standing outside a hot, dusty roadhouse in the middle of summer.

Edited by jett perilous

Imp: booze!

Wet: more booze!

Drydown: I guess that's dandelion I smell? And gah, hops...this is the most bizarre scent ever! :P I feel like I'm drunk just sniffing this.

Overall: I'll have to wait to see what the full effect is like, but I'm so impressed that this has even been created...how do they do it??

Oro

In Bottle: Dandelion and wine.

On Skin: Hmm… maybe Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury? I’m not picturing Patrick Swayze here if you know what I mean… This is actually kind of menthol like… something clears my senses. I’m not smelling the tobacco… and I’m not sure what pure hops smell like, just beer? I don’t smell beer at all… I actually like this scent, but I’m not getting any truck stop sleaze from it… but then again, I’ve never been to a sleazy truck stop. This is a very green scent with the dandelion being the strongest note by far. Ok, now I smell a faint hint of tobacco (like in Hearth)… it’s sweet. Wow, this is one of the most interesting and well developed scents I’ve ever smelled. I can’t believe how many levels it has! Overall I’d say it’s a pretty scent, with a green feel and a slight boozy background.

Roadhouse starts out as a very green dandelion scent that threatens to give me a headache, but then morphs into a distinctly spilled-beer-on-myself phase. Thankfully, it changes once again into a slightly floral, creamy scent that is surprisingly lovely. I'm not so fond of the first two phases, so I need to wear Roadhouse at least once more before I decide to keep the imp or not.

I smell the dandilions and weeds only in this...but when I wear it my bf smells the hops from the beer. He thought I was drinking beer (I don't drink beer and I am pregnant) but he loves beer so this one works very well for me. I bought a 10ml of it and slather it on. It fades a little to fast for me which is why I bought the large bottle. But it reminds me of a more complex dandilion from demeter...which I love.

WET: Dandelions and only dandelions. I never pictured them smelling so good but they do! Crisp and outdoorsy.

DRYDOWN: As it dried down so did the dandelion part of it ... it became more boozy as I smell mainly the hops, and a small tinge of tobacco.

If this scent stayed true to the dandelions, I would really like it but unfortunatley the hops stage doesn't really work for me.

The lab threw this in as a freebie in my last order, and it's one I probably wouldn't have thought to try, but I'm glad I did! It smells nothing like I thought it would. When first applied, it's surprisingly sweet, light and feminine! I guess that would be the dandelion, which I never realized smelled like that. On the drydown, the booze and tobacco start to come out a little, but they're not more than a shadow in the background. They add a lovely little kick. This is one of those magically morphing scents, which smells completely different after you wear it awhile. All in all, I like it very much. So glad the lab introduced me to roadhouse! :P

I've wanted to try Roadhouse for quite a while now just because it sounded so interesting and unlike any of the other fragrances. Plus, I *love* the green/bitter scent of dandelions.

Unfortunately, as I had feared, the 'booze' smell in this is ruining it for me. For the most part is does smell like bitter dandelions, but every once in a while this stale alcohol scent creeps up that really turns my stomach. It reminds me of a party that I went to once where some idiot spilled his beer down the front of my shirt. I was sticky, unhappy, and smelled awful the entire night. And that is the sort of memory that Roadhouse is conjuring up for me :P.

I'm not getting any tobacco out of this... I have a hard time picking out the smell of tobacco in any of the blends that I've tried though, so it might just be me.

I wanted to try Roadhouse for the novelty of it, and I'm quite glad that I did... this just isn't something that I could ever wear, really. It's not 'me' and the boozy lingering note in the background is turning me off.

omg,omg,omg :D :D :D

i can smell everything with the exception of the dandy-lions...... :P

booziness, hemp, teeny bit o' tobacco .....

this is definitely one of the labs blends that you must try on skin and not

just go by the way it smells in the vial....so important with lovely, lovely

Roadhouse!!!!!

don't miss this one...fantastic and unique......Beth is a miracle worker!!! :D

*note to self*...add to "big bottle list"