Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Be good, or Krampus will toss you in a river! Sinister red musk, black leather, dusty rags, and wooden switches.

(2006) First sniff: It’s all leather and musk. Very intimidating.

Wearing: Pretty much straight leather. I discovered a couple weeks ago that my guy and I both amp leather like crazy, so we really can’t wear it. Sadly.

Not a feminine scent by any stretch of the imagination. I think it's the combination of "dusty rags" and "wooden switches" that smell like boiled celery during drydown LOL This is an intriguing scent, reddish and spitty and dusty. I feel quite impish wearing this :P

I'd been turned off by the idea of leather in a scent, so I'm really glad I got the opportunity to try this. On me, the musk and wood comes out a lot, with the leather adding almost a sense of adventure to it. At first it was too masculine for my tastes, but the wood and linen started to make it much sweeter and lighter than I expected, almost like the inside of a cedar chest. Overall this combination of scents reminds me a lot of being at the Renassance Faire.

This is the first scent I like that I think would also be great on a guy. It's unfortunate that it's LE, even though I'm unsure whether I'd buy more.

In the imp: OMG. This is the leather from Spanked. I am in shock. No one told me that this could be the one that was meant to replace my best beloved LE of LEs. Oh my dear sweet heavens, please let this initial impression be true.

Wet on skin: Leather -- the supple, sueded, glorious leather of Spanked, plus something spicy, resinous and oh so wonderful. I know the notes don't say a word about cinnamon or cassia, but I'm getting something that spicy. If this dries down true, I am in LOVE.

Early dry down (10 minutes): This is amazing! It is turning into a slight more subdued version of Spanked. It's the same incredibly soft leather and spices on a resinous base. The only thing it lacks is the patchouli note (which dries down to an almost molasses note on me). This is glorious and perfect and....oh why is it June rather than December so that I could buy a bottle?

Late dry down (1/2 hour): Oh glorious leather! Oh perfect woods! Oh beautiful scents that dry down softly, yet retain their shape without going powdery! Oh bpal at its best, let me sing your praises! You are more invigorating than a cold shower. You are more beautiful than the desert under a full moon.

This scent is stunning. Really and truly stunning. Not quite as perfect as Spanked, but very, very near. It my dry, naughty alternative to Vixen. I must now sell my first born child for a bottle...

In The Bottle

An aged imp - Musk and pine and slightly dusty. Gorgeous

On Application

As above. Rich but piney fresh however the pine doesn't overpower

Dry Down

Amazing stuff. Smells quite cologney but the musk and leather are so beautifully rich. The piney quality remains. This is STRONG and remains strong three hours later. Love. :P

Rating (0-5)

I definitely see the similarity to Spanked. The leather here is subdued and sexy, but whereas Spanked was spicy leather, this is definitely 'dusty'. I also get a mild 'woody' tone to it.

Naughty naughty, it seems to say.

Definitely more of a masculine scent.

Krampus 2006

I cant believe I have never reviewed this before! I love Krampus!

To me this is simply the best red musk scent I have tried so far. A year ago it was perfumy and dry and dusty but now it has become ever more rounded and rich red musk with a hint of leather and woody patchouli. The leather never was very prominent but then this was already a year old when I got it. And my skin eats leather unlike anything else.

Fantastic! Leather with smudges of soot around the edges :P My husband's vegan coworker is in love with this scent also and claimed she couldn't get it out of her head for days. This is like Pere Fouettard without the cookies. Delightful!

okay...i bought a bottle of this from ebay 'cause i love leather and wood and just couldn't resist.

good call i made, too, 'cause i'm loving it!

i think it would smell really good on my hubby, too, but i'm hording this one all for myself.

the red musk is divine! and mingled with the leather and wood...it's just naughty and dirty and resinous and i adore it!

this is a good scent for those "don't mess with me" kind of days.

a nice musky, woody and almost patchouli smelling scent with that crack of leather to keep you on your toes.

Bottle: Gack. Viscous leather/wood scent that is... offputting. I like my red musk cut with sharper elements so we'll see how this goes.

Wet: LEATHER GO BOOM! The leather note amps up to an almost untolerable degree. I get leather and nothing else for a long time. Then the red musk peaks its head up and motions for the rest of the components that all is clear.

Dry: This has a really super long drydown. It's vaguely tolerable from about twenty minutes onward but it doesn't hit its stride until an hour or so into wear. This dries down to an utterly devine red musk tempered with leather, linen and a touch of wood. It reminds me strongly of the darker notes from Nanny Ashtoreth and the musk is making it much naughtier than NA.

Throw: Good.

Overall: Definitely not an every day sort of scent for me. Every once in awhile I want to smell utterly wicked and depraved and this is the perfect sort of scent for that feeling. My Krampus is from 07 and having seen how some of my other pre-07 red musks and leathers have aged I have high hopes that this is just at the beginning of an amazing aging process.

Bottle: spicy and musky. Mmm red musk.

Wet: Leather! And that lovely red musk thats in Mme Moriarty. This could be like, her lover. Aside from the Krampus being a scary Christmasy goblin dude. This is if Krampus had a dark, handsome, suave manly man human form.

Dry: Dusty leather and red musk, with a bit of soft woods.

Throw: I'm not really a slatherer, but I put a bit on my wrists and its wafting up, so it's pretty strong. I don't think theres a mild form of red musk...

Overall: I bought this because I heard its like Spanked Lite (and Spanked is impossible to find and I want to try it) and this is what I was hoping Spanked smells like, and it's awesome. Certainly not an everday scent, but it would be just as nice as an out on the prowl scent as it would a stay home wrapped in a blanket and the warm rich smell of leather and wood kind of scent.

So I saw that the Lab posted an auction for Krampus. And reading the description again I figured I should see how mine has aged since I purchased it, which was around Christmas of 2007.

In the bottle: YES -- MY RED MUSK.

On my skin: First it's all red musk. As it dries, the leather comes out a bit. It reminds me of the leather in Le Pere Fouettard. But with RED MUSK. Needless to say, it has aged WONDERFULLY.

:wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

Oooo this is nice...

Wet I was a little afraid of it, it had a very strong patchouli-ish, but not a pleasant type smell....

but in the drydown it has turned into a red musk, leather dream!!

This is like Loviatar amped.

:wub2:

This blend evokes a sinister Christmas tree. :twisted: The musk, wood and leather are the standout notes; the wooden switches must be made of pine or some other evergreen, because I definitely am getting evergreen and the red musk warms it up and makes it more animalic. There is also a resinous sweetness to this which is a welcome surprise I didn't expect, probably brought on by the mingling of the musk and wood. I'm relieved that the leather is subdued and wearable for a woman, not prominent masculine leather like Iago or De Sade, which are both sexy-as-hell man scents but would just be too butch on me.

Edited by Invidiana

2007 Blend

Thanks again to janine_hell for sending me an imp in the bottle as a BPAL Easter Egg! In the bottle, this is all leather and musk, very dark, very intimidating. On my skin, it's that same combo of leather and musk, with a bit of the woods coming in, maybe the dusty rags a bit. We'll see how this goes. Ends up being mostly a dusty leather scent on me, not quite for me.

Edited by Venneh

I picked up a lonely decant that had the word KRAMPUS written on it. I have had this for a while collecting dust in my drawer. What a wonderful surprise :wub2: . This is a good one. I get a smooth musky wood scent from it. I did not pick up a strong leather note. I did get a touch of something spicy though. This is a scent that both men and women can enjoy. I am off to put this on my ISO list right now :lol: .

2012 version

Imp: Ah, my beloved red musk! And there's the slap of leather!

Wet: Red musk, leather, and dust. I do not know how to explain how dust smells, but it's dry and muzzy and just screams dust. It gives me the sensation of being chilled. This is not a hot-blooded red musk, this is an almost imposing scent which is fitting considering the subject :D

Dry: Wow this fades incredibly fast on me. Sadness :( I did get a nice hint of the wooden switches before it turned into dusty red musk. Dodged a bullet really, since I already have so many red musky blends XD

This is pretty much all musk and dust on me. No good :(

Edited by brilliantcat

Red musk, with a non-chemical leather darkening it, followed by the dusty woods. This is gorgeous, and because I amp red musk, not too masculine at all. I don't usually like leather scents, but the leather is so smooth and warm that it blends into the musky woodsy goodness. Love this, and definitely getting two bottles to add to my red musk hoard.

ITI: I get very worn black leather and wood..perhaps a little musk as well.

Wet: I get wood, dusty rags for sure, and worn, musky leather. Oddly enough, it smells rather grumpy, but in an enticing way.

Dry: Spicy musk, worn leather, and just a little bit of wood.

(2012 version)

Krampus is one of those Yule blends that has stayed pretty much the same from year to year - I have tried previous versions, and this 2012 batch holds no surprises but that's a good thing for those of us who like a bit of reliability :smile:

Krampus is also one of those BPALs where what you get is exactly what it says you're gonna get - sinister red musk and black leather like POW right there in your face, with the dusty rags and wooden switches playing along as sidekicks. On me, it starts off with a blast of red musk and then the leather comes out on top for a while (which I prefer, the leather here is really warm and lovely) and then they battle it out for supremacy for a while but ultimately the red musk wins. It does eventually dry down into a lovely warm musky leather, and even develops a slightly sweet tone on my skin, but Krampus is definitely not for the feint-hearted - it's bold and ballsy and hot and mean and firey and ferocious. Do not let it near little children.

Oh, yum! This is Crowley's big brother, a bit more sexually aggressive, dangerous and totally irresistable. I'm getting mellow red musk, (usually red musk is kind of sharp on me), and a touch of sweet woods. Kind of like Crowley, but with less leather. Shit, even though I don't wear masculine scents, I believe I need more, to smell on a future guy in my life. :wub2:

I bought this bottle of 2012 on a whim at BedlamBedlam in Seattle. I can't get enough of leather notes, and this dried down to all leather and wood on me. I think I'll have to layer it with something a little sweeter to soften it up (honey? Chocolate maybe?) and also so that I don't have to tell people what it is I'm wearing if they ask ;)

2012 Version: Wow, this one is amazing. No surprises here, the notes are spot on: a rich red musk swirling with leather, woods and musty linen. It's strong, a little dab goes a long way on me, and everything smells so natural! The leather is worn, supple and has an almost fuzzy feel. The woods are rather resinous, warm and earthy, and there's a softness almost like cotton, mixed into the blend. The overall effect is smooth and sexy. It stays true when dry, becoming just a bit more dusty but retaining the heady mix of notes. A definite bottle purchase for me!