Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
absinthetics

Snow-Flakes

The radiance and desolation of winter.

Hey, wait a minute this smells like...*sniff*...wait...*sniffsniff*...SNOW WHITE!

A fraternal twin to the beloved SW, anyway. In the bottle, it is almost identical. On the skin, a dainty pine/mint note peeps out over the delicious softness that is the Snow White base. It has that same airy-yet-creamy quality, which comes out even more as it dries. It actually smells like a cross between Snow White and Snow Bunny.

Lovely. Edited by Shollin

I hate it when I write a review and it dissapears on me!

Anyway, I got a decant of this (thanks ayelienne!) and am so glad I did. It does smell like Snow White in the imp, only softer and lighter. No mint that I could smell in the imp. When on, there is a 20 minute morph period, where it goes from Snow White to wintergreen, to pine, to soap, to sharp soap a la Numb. And then, everything but Snow White leaves, and I'm left with SW on my wrists, light and soft, and without the plasticky, sharp note that SW gives me. Plus, it has staying power, remaining softly present throughout several hours and a long workout.

Except for the 20 minute morph, I really like it, and will probably get a bottle before it leaves.

I opened the bottle, sniffed, and said "That DOES smell like Snow White!"

I agree with the statements that it's Snow White's fraternal twin. At first on my skin I was thinking that it was Snow White's summer sister - Snow White plus minty-cucumber. Then it dries down to more or less straight Snow White, with that mint/cucumber note charging back strongly and then fading away again every once in a while. It may be slightly less strong on me than Snow White, but it should definitely be an acceptable substitute for people who are mourning the loss of SW (if it wears on them the way it does on me).

I seem to always wind up editing my reviews :P. On second wearing, Snow-Flakes has developed the dreaded strong plastic note on me. Bah. Oh well. I have two bottles of Snow White '05 anyway, and I have to admit that I was wondering how much wear I'd actually get out of this one because it's *so* similar.

Edited by Electra

Sniffing the decant, I get the expected snow note, plus the mint which often accompanies aquatics. It's very cool and clean. And then I get a big blast of white musk, which is also cool and clean to my nose. I can't detect any pine, which is just as well since I've got a couple of favorite pine blends already.

On my skin, at first it smells very snow/mint/white musk, same as in the vial. I was afraid that the mint would turn bitter on me, as many of the Lab's mint blends seem to do, but it stays nice and cool and light and sweet, and I can't help but think how nice it will be to wear this in the hot, sticky summer months.

Once it dries, the real magic happens. For a minute, things seem to be going south, as the sweetness turns powdery and the white musk pouts a bit and seems to flounce off. But it turns into a sweet, creamy mint. Gradually, the creaminess develops a light vanilla scent, and the mint never fades or turns bitter, so I've got a gorgeous vanilla-mint scent (like the way I've heard Lick It Again smells) that lasts for hours and hours. I've taken to wearing this to bed and it's still there when I wake up, and for a few hours more if I don't hop into the shower right away. At the very end, the mint has more or less departed, but the white musk is back, very faintly, so I'm left smelling like a light, creamy, pale musk with a hint of floral that is just amazingly delicious. And the throw is fantastic, even so many hours later!

Snow-Flakes is not at all what I was expecting. I'm so glad I snagged a decant in time to order a bottle...or two. I was honestly expecting to prefer The Snow Maiden, but this just blew me away. :P

(I should add that I've never smelled Snow White. I can only say that, if it smells anything like this, I understand all the fuss.)

I agree with yeahbutnobut--I think Snow Flakes smells like a cross between Snow White and Ice Queen. It smells like Snow White in the bottle, but ends up morphing into Ice Queen. On my skin, anyway!

When I sniffed this in the bottle, I was a little...worried. It was very sharp.

On the skin though the sharpness begins to fade and it smells like a minty aquatic with a hint of...pine? As it dries it softens and I catch a hint of musk.

I really like this one and I'm glad I got a bottle. :P

ETA: Wow, I think my chemistry is really off. After a couple hours I'm catching a very slight tobacco scent on my wrist. More like pipe tobacco as opposed to cigs.

I like it.

ADDED 12/10/08:

mmmm.....I wish I had never swapped me bottle away a while ago. I forgot how much I liked this.

It's mint (not peppermint, but more of a true mint smell to me) with just a touch of ozone and a bit of green. I almost thought there was a hint of violet, but now I'm not sure as that seems to have faded.

I like ths so much more than Snow White which went play doh on me.

(sigh) Now I need to try to hunt down a bottle.

ETA: No I don't. It ended up going funky on me. Now I remember why I swapped it. :D

Edited by Shollin

A light snow with a hint of minty-pine in the bottle...light snow with a hint of minty-pine on my wrist, with something tangy. It smells like a pre-Spring snowfall to me...at least, we get them here in GA :P . That smell of cold and winter, but with greenness peeking out behind it.

It smells a bit like Black Ice to me, but less perfumey and more snowy. Very clean and lovely.

In the bottle: Powdery but very green mint.

Wet: Coconutty freshness. There's mint, but a lot of fresh greenery, like newly cut stems, too. The coconut is quickly subdued by the greenness, it smells like coconut milk rather than coconut meat.

Drydown: It's mostly mint and greenery after drydown, with a gentle white warmth from the coconut. It's also become rather powdery, but not in an unpleasant way, really. I suspect that there's the same powdery violet-citrus note in here as there was in Numb, but combined with the mint and greenness it's perfect.

Overall: The ideal snow scent, minty, green, a little aquatic and somewhat powdery. It's complex and constantly shifts from coconut to mint to powder and back again, which really reminds me of the way snowflakes glitter and shift in the wind. I'm not sure it's a scent that I would wear everyday, but on a snow day, it's ideal! And this is wonderful because I tried Snow White, and while I can see the resemblance, this one definitely does not smell like rancid coconut on me. It's more like Numb meets Obatala, with mint. Yay!

When I placed my Yule order, I skimmed over this one, thinking," eh, doen't sound so special." Then proceeded to buy multiple bottle of 13, Snow Maiden, Winter of our Discontent... fast forward to a few week ago. I got a bottle of this in a swap. Curiosity got the better of me, with all the reviews comparing this to Snow White, so I had to try it for myself.

IMO, this is BETTER than snow White. (gasp!) I thought Snow White was a nice blend, but lacking something. It turned a little too sweet/coconutty/floral on me. I kept my Snow White for a while, because it has a beautiful label, and eventually ended up selling it to a loving home. Snow Flakes does remind me of Snow white, like they share the same gene pool, but the coconut does not become cloying. There is a freshness woven in the notes that makes this creamy, crisp, watery, luminous. Just beautiful. :P

The Snow White peeps, can have at her. For myself, I will continue to rassel up as much Snow Flakes as I can find. (3 bottles now and counting :D )

A+

In the bottle: A delicate, watery mint. I held it to my nose for a while, trying to get the Snow White similarity - and finally, I got it. There's a hint of sharp, strange floral (for some reason, I remember speculating that this was narcissus, but I really don't know) that made Snow White unwearable for me - it turned to burning plastic.

On: I think this is what Snow White would have smelled like if the burning plastic smell hadn't taken over. There's a minty-snow smell and a perfume-y note - a floral that turns soapy on me.

Later: This one keeps changing. At times, it becomes a perfect winter scent - that cold air note with softened flowers behind it. And a minute later, it smells like soap.

This one looks like it's shaping up to be a disappointment, but I'll test it a few times before deciding for certain.

I can see why this is so popular. I refrained from buying it right off the bat because the description just didn't tell me enough. But when I heard people describing it as a minty Snow White, I knew I needed a bottle.

Wet, it definitely bears a strong resemblance to Snow White, but with the greenery on top. It's minty, but not a sharp peppermint- more like a garden mint, which is unexpected. There might also be a dab of cucumber in there, but I'm not sure.

Dry, the green notes wear off and I can still smell Snow White, but sweeter. This is mostly creamy almonds on me at this point, whereas Snow White has a plasticky tang (which somebody else mentioned above) that seems to be absent here. It's almost foody at this point, like frosting or marzipan.

I don't know what else to say here, and it looks like everyone else has covered it pretty well. If you like Snow White and similar scents, you need to give this a try.

Dang it!

I was hoping this would be a less powdery Snow White as well, but it just goes talcum on me.

There is no change from first application all the way through an hour after, straight powdery blech. :P

Snow White and I didn't get along too well so I was hoping that Snow-flakes would beguile me into playing in the snow.

In the imp: Watery aquatic floral

On Skin: Powdery. There is a certain freshness, still aquatic.

On Drydown: Still very talcum powder and dusting of florals. There is a light mintyness which adds to the crispness underneath the baby powder.

Verdict: Nuts. This so didn't work out either. :P

I had seen snow flakes being compared to snow white...so I figured I would give it a shot....snow white and I did not get along....she tempted me with her gorgeous scent in the bottle..but once I put her on my skin she turned to burnt plastic!!

Snow flakes is everything I wanted snow white to be and more...very aquatic and minty...but there is an underlying coconut scent as well....and maybe a little cucumber :D I love cucumber....this scent is very light and pretty...definitely a keeper....and cheaper than snow white too!!! Gotta love that :P

When wet, it's all green florals and perfumey "ick", changing to...green florals and perfumey "ick". I can maybe smell a little mint if I'm trying real hard, but it's not "mint flavored mint", it's "squash a mint leaf mint", if there is any. I could just be imagining it. About the kindest thing I can say with this one is that at least it doesn't turn soapy.

Desolation? No. Not when the flowers are trying to eat me.

I wasn't going to buy this, but the other reviews said that it smelled similar to Snow White, one of my most cherished scents, so I had to buy a bottle.

First sniff: a minty cool violet, with a hint of my beloved Snow White. Very cool and refreshing, perfect for hot sticky days. On skin: the minty note fades out, and the violet escapes with some other floral, maybe snowdrop or some other flower, crocus or lily maybe. There is also a musk in here that comes out, and when it dries down it reminds me very much of a violet Snow White. Lasts a pretty long time too. I like it, but there is no replacement for SW. Beth please bring it back (preferably for GC)!

Edited by alliekat13

In the imp, and wet, it was a delicate sweet mint, with just a hint of vanilla. It reminded me a little of 'Snowblind'. As it dried, the vanilla disappeared, and it took on a more aquatic feel, cold and watery, with the very faintest breath of sweet flowers. Very like Snow White, yes, only without the coconut note.

Edited by harmonyfb

at first: minty, but with a watery and creamy snow white base.

on: lovely. snow white with mint.

half an hour later: lovely, but with an odd vegetable note in the background. i sometimes get this with minty scents.

2.5 hours later: all vegetables.

overall: my skin just messed this up quite a bit on me.

I just love this one on me, even though it's more of a minty vanilla smell on my skin rather than the description given by the lab. I can actually feel the mint note catching in my throat. Very nice, and I'll definitely be keeping this.

In the bottle. . .

very soft and delicate, but a sharp pinch of mint somwhere in there. I can almost feel the cold rushing down my throat.

On the skin. . .

Still the same, but the mint pops out a little bit more with the cold florals.

It stays the same throughut the day, really. But when it does begind to fade, the mint becomes dominant and the florals recessive. Its a nice, chilly feeling.

Buy again?

Although this is a very nice scent, its not really my type. Even though I like wearing it, it sometimes reminds me of the freshener they use in public restrooms. So I would say no.

Edited by Synthetika

I love beth's aquatic/ozone's and this is just so pretty. I've confessed that I've been wearly almost nightly to bed because the combination of the pastel dollness of the flower, with the faint mint and the snow resonates a calm serenity. It makes me imagine myself in a wide meadow surrounded by the calm silence of falling snow.

Against my better judgment from reading the description, I decided to nab a bottle of Snow-flakes after reading so many reviews comparing it to my wonderful and precious Snow White. Anything compared to Snow White I must try because I've been hoarding my bottles of it for so long in fear that the lab will never release it again.

Alas, Snow-Flakes was absolutely nothing like Snow White for me. On me it was pure pine cleaner and powder. Nothing else. I was so disappointed and hoped it would morph but it never did, no matter how many times I tried it. Pine scents and I just do not get along. :P

Snow-Flakes-

In Bottle: Mmm, a little powder, a little mint, definitely a cold scent that evokes winter!

Wet: Very true to the in-the-bottle scent. The tiniest bit minty.

Dry: It's very much the same! I do like it. It's a great representation of the name.

Overall: I like!

At first sniff, this definitely reminds me of Snow White. It has very similar undertones. Yes, this is like a gentle version of Snow White with a sparkling, wintery, mint as the top note. Snow Flakes is the love child of Snow White and Snow Bunny. Very snowy, white, clean and refreshing. This clings close to my skin and doesn't have a lot of throw, but Snow White lasts forever on my skin, and I have a feeling this might too.

This is a very pretty scent, not my thing, but lovely on the right person.

In the Imp: Aquatic minty.

Wet: On my skin florals come out that I can't identify. It's still very aquatic but on my skin the florals seem to be overpowering everything else.

Dry: Yep aquatic florals. I can see how someone who loves aquatic smells would love this, or someone with skin chemistry that doesn't amp the florals as much. Smells better to me in the imp than on my skin.