Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
absinthetics

Snow-Flakes

The radiance and desolation of winter.

In bottle: aquatic with mint and a delicate sweetness that's so light it's basically the absence of any non-sweet characteristics. I've been quite looking forward to this one.

WET ON SKIN: gentle mint! lovely.

DRY: eucalyptus.

AFTER A WHILE: armpits. :D

:P Swap! Edited by Shollin

:P

My oh my! I don't know what to say other than WOW!

It reminded me of New Mexico a bit with Juniper bushes growing everywhere. I hated it. It was summer and it was so strong to the point of stink. But as the desert promises the teps dropped, and dropped and dropped as the sun went down. It was cold. the Juniper was put in it's place. I loved it, but still a bit much.

I wished it would snow.

I got my wish in Montanna one winter. That was what it smells like to me. a Juniper bush burried under snow.

Very clean, light, well mixed!

Loved it!

This is a very light, minty aquatic on me. It actually doesn't smell as "snowy" as Darkling Thrush or Cloister Graveyard in the Snow, at least on my skin. I do like it and think it would be very refreshing in warm weather, so I may save my bottle for the summer.

I got a decant of Snow Flakes and as soon as I opened the imp, I got a whiff of Snow White (my all-time favorite BPAL). But when I put it on, I got a pine needle note. Normally I don't like that note very much and in this, for the first five minutes, it overwhelmed the lovely Snow White notes. But suddenly, the pine needles died down and I got this lovely scent of standing in a snowy pine forest, with the smell of snow dominating. I really didn't get anything minty or aquatic, just Snow White with the tiniest breath of pine, for the duration of the scent. And just like Snow White, it lasts forever on me with tremendous throw. If I didn't already have a good stash of Snow White, I would stock up on Snow Flakes but as it's so similar, the imp will do me fine. Love it :P .

OH!

This is a very pretty scent. Delicately floral with a little bit of sweetness. White. Very very white with touch of glacial blue if you look deep into the snow. A still winter scene in a forest with a new blanket of snow. Snowshoe hares and bare birch trees. Walking through it all in a warm coat and just being. Wintery without being cold, alone without being lonely. Snow crocuses.

The oil has good throw and prescence for such "delicate" flowers. I want to call it creamy, but that's not right because it brings up a milkiness this blend doesn't have. It's that same liquid whiteness though.

ETA: Wow this stays forever. After dancing and staying up all night studying/writing and I can still smell it on my skin over 12 hours later.

Edited by SmileCat

In the bottle, I could not distinguish this from Snow White.

But on the skin, while Snow White is incredibly powerful, almost dominating my air space, Snow Flakes takes more of a light approach. Later in the day I can detect an undertone of mint, but it is still very much like Snow White.

I adore Snow White, so this isn't a problem!

Peppermint, a hint of violet, a bare touch of vanilla, and a faint, clean aquatic.

This isa good interpretation of the scent of snow, alright, but not me. Swap.

Lots of radiance, not so much desolation.

I ordered this hoping for a chilly scent, but that's not what I get here at all. In the bottle, it's got a sweet creaminess to it with a bit of pine and juniper lurking in the background.

Wet on my skin the pine comes forward a bit more, with the sweet fading. There's a slight hint of musk maybe? There's definitely mint notes here.

Drydown: it's got a pine-resin type scent, and a breath of sweetness. I quite like it, but it's not "winter" to me. I'll be keeping my bottle though!

This is the first of the new Yules that I've tried.

In bottle: light creamy flowers

On skin: blast of mint, then lots of creamy white flowers. This reminds me a lot of Black Opal, which was nice but ended with a too-sharp floral note (iris?). This is a sophisticated floral along those same lines.

Half-hour later: ah, there's that Snow White reminder that many others are getting -- along with the nice florals, ice-creamy vanilla that stays close to the skin, but not overly foody. YUM! :P

In conclusion: this is a stunningly lovely blend, and while I hope Snow White makes a gracious return I'm pleased to have this bottle :D

Hmmm, at first there was a coconut hint of Snow White in here, along with soft florals, but then it reminded me much more of the watery mint of Nuclear Winter, which I didn't really like. There's a sharp, metallic edge in here too, and I don't think my skin plays well with too much of Beth's snow/ice notes. I'll stick with Snow White, I think, for my creamy-cold scent.

Very very very light.

This is an extremely light scent, almost like a crisp cool whisper...almost like a snow flake on the tongue...a sweet aquatic with hints of vanilla mint (I sense more familiarity with Snowblind than Snow White, but then again, I like the former, and not the latter) and none of the pine note that is typical of the Yule-at-the-Lab scent...

This is gone in almost an instant...but is lovely while it is here...

In the bottle: Cool aquatic, with a touch of mint, a touch of the violet from Numb, a teeny bit of vanilla

Wearing: The same at first - and I rather like it. Though the aquatic and floral elements shortly take over on me as usual, and I begin to rather dislike it.

Drydown: Is much softer - it sort of goes back to all the inital notes, but more blended and lighter overall and a bit more of the vanilla. I actually quite like it at this point but it takes me a couple hours to get there, so I probably won't be investing in a bottle.

I can see this as a more watery and less sweet cousin to Snow White - but that one had a plasticky aspect that disagreed with me. So if you had the same experience, but still want a scent in the same family, maybe try this one!

Edited by wolfie13

Rating (on skin): 3/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: Juniper?

Pre-review thoughts: Snow White is one of my all-time favourite BPAL scents, so upon hearing that some Snow-Flakes is similar to SW to some people... well, I had to try it.

In the imp: Snow White Lite! :P Very, very similar to my beloved SW, but not exact, of course; it's either missing something, or has something SW doesn't. Or both. I'm guessing both.

On skin, wet: Mint? Or, perhaps, juniper? On first sniff, I'd say mint; on second sniff, juniper. There's something almost piney as well, so I'd hazard a guess at juniper. It has a similar ethereal, fleeting, innocent-as-fresh-snow quality to Snow White, but it's definitely a scent of its own.

On skin, dry: A juniper-y cousin of Snow White, more or less. It's lovely, but I'm not a huge fan of juniper, and juniper's definitely the dominant note in Snow-Flakes on my skin. It's not sweet at all, but rather sharp after a while.

Conclusion/Notes: It's close, but alas, Snow-Flakes is not a suitable replacement for my beloved Snow White. On its own, Snow-Flakes is quite nice, and I believe fits its description wonderfully. That said, I doubt it's something I'd wear.

snow flakes is very cool and watery. if someone extracted cucumber juice, chilled it, put an infusion of peppermint and spearmint leaves in it, as well as some delicate flower petals, that would be snow-flakes. it's very clean, lighter and sharper than snow white, and not as creamy, tho there is a touch of vanilla it seems..very delicate, with, for some reason, a japanese feel to it...like i imagine a japanese landscape, w/ sno-capped mountains in the distance. i think this is wintery, but the end of winter, when snow is melting and a bit of green is beginning to appear. the first hints of spring. there's some sort of evergreen or fir tree smell too. it's lovely - outdoorsy yet delicate - not very long-lasting, but lovely nonetheless.

In the imp: a very soft, feminine mint-and-floral scent.

On me, wet: Mm, this is a lot like Nuclear Winter - mint and cucumbery wateriness. It's lighter, though.

On me, dry: creamy soft mints and that cucumbery wateriness. It's quite light, but otherwise reminds me of Tulzscha and Nuclear Winter - that awesome cooling mint/cucumber combination that is wonderful for hot muggy days.

Verdict: Oh yes. I can see this bottle being used a lot next summer, even if I have to slather somewhat. Definitely a keeper.

I'm loving this! In the imp, it's very much like Snow White, which is one of my fave scents ever. Wet, it's still SW-ish, but with some pine and mint. Dry, it mellows to a softer chill mint-tinged SW that is cool and creamy, but not sweet. A perfect holiday fragrance for me :P

This really is like Nuclear Winter and Snow White had a baby. I get a strong watery-mint vibe that's like Nuclear Winter and a strange smoothness that's like vanilla but not quite (maybe "cream" without the milky aspect?) that reminds me of Snow White.

Snow White turned into absolutely nothing on my skin, though (for real. I couldn't even smell it once it was on) and Nuclear Winter was a bit too perfumey. However, Snow Flakes gets a nice balance of the two, and has more throw than Snow White without being too strong like Nuclear Winter was on me. :P

Snow-flakes

In the imp: yes, it's like Snow White, but clearer, cooler, more transparent than white, with a crisp minty feel to it.

Wet on skin: oooh, this tingles once it hits skin! It smells like mint and ice!

Dry on skin: oh, this is gorgeous. The scent reminds me of something I drank when I was in Paris, called 'menthe a l'eau' (mint water) which is really water with sugary mint syrup added. This smells like that drink, with lots of ice, and a hint of the creaminess of Snow White. I'm amazed at how wet this smells, it really smells of ice and water and snow.

After a while: the mint note sticks around for a surprisingly long time here! It still smells of cool, watery, sweet sugared snow, with a soft, velvety creamy/white musk aspect, and possibly a hint of cucumber. A slight aquatic/ozone note has popped up now and it's a good aquatic note, as it doesn't turn to soap on me. This scent brings to mind the colours blue and white, like icebergs, and strikes me as a very peaceful scent, of cold air with snow falling through, frozen landscapes under moonlight, and silence. It becomes even more airy and ethereal over time, developing a cool crispness and feathery lightness, with a creamy undertone. Previous reviews mention juniper and I realise I smell it here now, and that brings to mind Twenty One, which smelt like pure ice to me. This is a lot more wearable than 21 on me though.

Verdict: in the absence of the beloved Snow White, Beth brings out Snow-Flakes for 06, and it smells like a cross between Snow White and Ice Queen, with a hint of Nuclear Winter/Cloister Graveyard's mint. This is a beautiful winter fragrance-it starts with a fabulous, fresh, authentically watery (cucumber?) scent with lots of mint and a little sweetness, sugary and wet and cool-this mint sticks around for a very long time. Then soft notes of air and ice and soft creamy sugar and musk come through and the scent becomes even more delightful-it evokes the enchantment watching snow fall, the serenity and silence it brings, and the sense of wonder as the soft flakes float down from the sky. Cold and desolate yet beautiful and haunting. It dries down to a lovely, delicate scent of pure winter air, clean and chilly, with a velvety white creamy musk underneath. such a stunning, well crafted scent, very fitting to the poem, highly evocative, and perfect not just for winter but also as a cooling, calming scent for steamy summer days. I'm glad I got a bottle and might need to stock up!

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Yes! And I might get more.

If you like this, try: Snow White, Cloister Graveyard in the Snow, Nuclear Winter, Black Ice, Darkling Thrush, Jolasveinar, Twenty One

Edited by yeahbutnobut

In the bottle, this is just gorgeous and I see the Snow White resemblance that many people have mentioned. However, on my skin it's soapier and sharper than Snow White, and I'm not entirely sure it's wearable. I get hints of Snow White but it's overwhelmed with something slightly unpleasant. I'll hold on to this for awhile and see if it mellows out, but it wasn't the Snow White replacement I thought it would be.

I got a whiff of mint on the first application that distinguished Snow-Flakes from Snow White. It's a lighter, more delicate version of that scent, a delightful minty aquatic, and very evocative of its name. I actually prefer it to Snow White. 5/5.

In the bottle: delicatel floral with a little bit of sweetness. Glacial white with a touch of blue deeper into the iceburg.

On the skin: this oil has very little throw for as massive as it seems in the bottle. It is fleeting but beautiful while it remains. Minty, soft violets trying to creep out of the snow-ridden earth.

Drydown: hard to describe something that doesn't exist for very long. I loved it but my skin drank this one up!

Snow-Flakes really captures the nature of a snowflake---the downy, delicate, lacy, soft, ephemeral nature of a snowflake, and that kind of quiet peace. There is a definite resemblance to Snow White here, although Snow-Flakes has a (more) prominent mint note and the snow/slush notes are much stronger. The mint in Snow-Flakes is strong enough for me to taste in my mouth when I breathe it in from my skin, although it's certainly not overwhelming in the blend at all.

This is a beautiful blend, and I have a feeling I'll be wearing it often in the next couple of months. I think it will also be wonderful in the summer as a cooling, refreshing scent.

this is snow white, part two...i even got some of the play doh morphing that i did with snow white 05. this reminds me of cucumber-melon...watery with the slightest hint of sweetness. i was hoping to be swayed from the foodie camp with a great fresh scent...but i don't think this one is it.

I like this very much! I would class this as a fresh scent, not an aquatic, because the cucumber is so prominent. I also get a quite long lasting mint, maybe some eucalyptus and a lovely light musk base. Musk is usually a bit too heavy for day wear on me, but this is great -- a very delicate clear tone.

I'm go back and forth about getting a bottle of this . . .

At first, it's pure Tulszcha (sp?!): mint and cool cucumber, and then it dries down to something like creamy coconut, no hint of mint or cucumber anywhere. Buh?

I think I'll stick with my Tulszcha.