Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
PilotKitten

BPAL Fruit Blends - the many variations

lucifer (Patchouli, golden amber, deep woods, fig, and vetiver)

definitely. :P :D :D

also, i tested imp (white peach, amber, golden musk and patchouli) awhile ago, too, 'cause someone frimped me it. i remember thinking it smelled like dirty canned peach syrup. might be worth a try.

Urd, I absolutely have to second this, and

Nephilim: Holy frankincense and hyssop in union with earthy fig, defiled by black patchouli and vetiver, with a chaotic infusion of lavender, cardamom, tamarind, rosemary, oakmoss and cypress.

Smells very woody and figgy in the beginning but then the patchouli comes out and drags it through the mud :P

i agree about tweedledum, it's very crisp and fruity with just a touch of patchouli woodsiness. i actually don't even smell the green tea in it.

and, yeah, nephilim is very dark and dirty. it's one my husband wears very frequently.

I don't know if you've tried Blood Countess, or if you can handle florals at all, but this is another of my true loves (except for accursed headache it gives me) although the fruit is more preserved than rotten. The scent overall is dark and rich.

this one has been on my list for ages. this is a sign, i must try it asap.

as far as all the urd rec's, i could've sworn i tried this once and got nothing but "burn" smell. evil grape sounds much more appealing. i'll have to give it another try.

i remember thinking it smelled like dirty canned peach syrup.

whoa...if this is an accurate representation of imp, i MUST have it immediately!

nephilim and lucifer going onto my list as well. thanks!

I'm still pretty new to BPAL, but I'm obsessed with the fruit blends. Dirty fruit, sugary fruit, fruit punch, I've tried more fruity scents than any other type! So far, among my fruity favorites are Croquet for the bubbly happy grapefruity-ness, and Katharina's apricot which smells just like the fruit from the apricot trees at my grandmother's house when I was a child.

But the one that no one has mentioned? The most perfect calming soothing soft fruit-floral blend...La Vague. Creamy peach and sweet gentle grape with faint occasional hints of rose and jasmine. I just bought a bottle at Le Pink a week ago and already I know I need another. :P Is there anything else in the GC that smells creamy and fruity and just a little bit floral like this?

i remember thinking it smelled like dirty canned peach syrup.

whoa...if this is an accurate representation of imp, i MUST have it immediately!

nephilim and lucifer going onto my list as well. thanks!

i wear imp about every other day so i get used to smelling it. but then i'll get caught up in my new scents and it'll sit for a week or so before i wear it again. then bam: dark and sinuous and yes, very much like dirty canned peach syrup. the peach is almost like an afterthought. every once in a while i just won't smell the peach at first. then a few hours into wearing it the peach will hit me and i'll think: mmmm... sticky, dirty yum. god, it's lovely.

nephilim is one my husband wears but i had tried it and ordered a bottle for myself. once it arrived i gave it a sniff again and thought: "what the hell...? why did i order this for myself?!" and i put it aside. after a while, i happened to see it sitting alone and unloved and slathered a bit on. then i remembered why i ordered a bottle for me. i still think it smells best on my husband but it's quite dark and beautiful on me as well.

can i squee for verdandi as well? i love, love, love apple scents and poisoned apple, verdandi & the hesperides are made of apple-y win.

Jester doesn't have that ripe dirty smell--it smells like a strawberry shortcake doll, to me, actually:) So, if anyone wants a sweet light berry smell--Jester is your Medieval Olfactory Amuser...

Why am I always suprised by how much I love Crypt Queen?

I let her sit untouched in my cabinet for months, and then one day I get a little crazy and take out my decant to retest and BAM!

If this is what moldering fruit smells like, why buy it fresh? :P

I have a body chemistry that causes many perfumes to either become cloying (ex: florals, especially rose) or turn into soap (almost always an Irish Spring type smell). However, I've found that I have very good luck with fruity and foody scents. Akuma was one of the first BPAL scents I tried, and I absolutely love it. El Dia de Reyes works wonderfully on me, too. I'm a big fan of peach and orange scents, so I was hoping that the kind people in the forums might be able to give me some insight into the fruity-ness of some other perfumes I'm interested in. Here is the list:

Cupid Complaining to Venus

Gennivre, L'Artiste du Diable

The Hanging Gardens

Katharina

Lolita

Succubus

Tanuki

Titania

Xanthe, the Weeping Clown (I'm a little worried about the pepper in this one)

I've come to the list above based on the following:

-Vanilla makes me nauseous when I smell or eat it (I can't even have vanilla icecream!)

-Hibiscus makes me sneeze uncontrollably

-Patchouli gives me headaches

-I'm iffy on musks.

Thanks in advance to everyone who's willing to help!

Jester is berry fruity sweet.

March hare is fruity. Yup it's very juicy and realistic. It almost makes my mouth water. But the drydown is kinda spicy because of the clove.

The hamptons is fruity and fizzy.

Titania is sort of fruity. It's more like hard candy but definitely sweet.

Cupid Complaining to Venus

Gennivre, L'Artiste du Diable

The Hanging Gardens

Katharina

Lolita

Succubus

Tanuki

Titania

Xanthe, the Weeping Clown (I'm a little worried about the pepper in this one)

Welcome to the forum! I'll give you my impressions of the ones that I've tried recently enough to remember (never tried Xanthe, I suspect the guava and apple blossom combo in that one will do me in)

Gennivre, L'Artiste du Diable - honeyed mint tea with a bit of tartness, but not a lot of fruit.

The Hanging Gardens - very rich and sweet, heavy fig, so very fruity on me

Katharina - lots and lots of apricot, so apricot lovers must try it

Lolita - more floral than fruity, but with a lot of sweetness from the heliotrope and honeysuckle

Tanuki - incredibly fruity! It was nothing but fruit on me, although it had a little bit of a crisp feel to offset the sweetness.

Titania - Lots of sweet fruit in there, but the floral notes are nicely balanced with it and make it pretty and feminine.

Good luck! It's kinda hard finding BPAL blends that have no musk, patchouli, or vanilla, isn't it? I'd suggest that as you go along, be brave and try some scents with lighter musks - things with white, blue, green, skin musk - and avoid red, dark, animalic and things that are described similarly. The musks don't always dominate, and you may find that you can wear some scents where the musk note isn't dominant.

Bordello is my FAVORITE fruity scent, always. I wish I could find a drink in the same flavor as this blend :P

Bordello is my FAVORITE fruity scent, always. I wish I could find a drink in the same flavor as this blend :P

(hijack) Oooh, I bet you could invent one! Amaretto and burgundy wine are easy enough; creme de cassis is black currant; and you could make a plum liqueur or use plum wine or some plum brandy ... the question is, would it taste as good as it smells? :D (end hijack)

To make this relatively on topic, er, I love fruity blends. I thought it was just a citrus thing, but oh, was I wrong ...

I love Katharina, it's a really bright, singing apricot.

I agree about Gennivre...gorgeous and sweet, but not that fruity.

Xanthe is great, kind of juicyfruit fruity and I have no issue with the pepper, it's light and just spices up the blend. And I'm pretty sensitive to spices. To my nose, Xanthe has a lot in common with March Hare.

I was wearing Imp yesterday and it's just so awesome. Dirty peach, dirty musk..nasssty <g>

Is Lurid gone from the GC? Such an intense blend with the fruits and ozone.

Thank you to everyone who gave me some insight on different scents! I ended up ordering the following:

Fae

The Hanging Gardens

Jester

Katharina

Succubus

Titania

Unfortunately, I experienced mostly soapy smells when I tried these on. But Jester, oh sweet glorious Jester, may have usurped Akuma as my favorite scent!

Thank you all again so much! I think I have started to figure out which notes will react in which ways on me, and I feel far more confident in ordering from the vast BPAL selection now!

Bordello is my FAVORITE fruity scent, always.

I see Bordello recommended a LOT on the forums and I love the lab's dark red fruity scents (berries, blackcurrants, and especially plum) but I've held off on trying Bordello because the notes sound a lot like Lady Macbeth, which didn't work for me at all. (The herbs disappeared to virtually nothing on my skin and the wine note was very very sweet). How does bordello compared to Lady Macbeth? Or to fruity scents which do work on me (Fruminous Bandersnatch, Masabakes, the Fruit of Paradise for a start)?

ETA -- I have similar reservations which have stopped me ordering Jester

Edited by BlueSage

Thank you to everyone who gave me some insight on different scents! I ended up ordering the following:

Fae

The Hanging Gardens

Jester

Katharina

Succubus

Titania

Unfortunately, I experienced mostly soapy smells when I tried these on. But Jester, oh sweet glorious Jester, may have usurped Akuma as my favorite scent!

Thank you all again so much! I think I have started to figure out which notes will react in which ways on me, and I feel far more confident in ordering from the vast BPAL selection now!

I usually have to test a whole bunch that sound good before finding some winners. Glad to see that you found another favourite!

I missed out on Tanuki, but does anyone know of any other blends that have any persimmon notes in them?

Bumping this thread to see if there are any new reccomendations, or if anyone can help me out!

Have recently found out that my fiance loves fruity smells! Since I have been with the man for about 2 1/2 years now, that will show you just how many fruity perfumes I own! ;) Unfortunately the blend that he liked was Earth Ox, which has the PEONY OF SOAPY DEATH in it, so after it settled on my skin he agreed that it smelled "like shampoo."

Generally, I'm a floral girl, with a bit of a gorumand edge, but there are lots of fruity notes I like and I hope you lovelies can help me! :)

Big YESes to: ORANGE! (especially blood orange), pomegranate, apple, pear, grape, berries, apricot/peach, fruity-florals, anything that can be described as "sparkly," vanillas & ambers

Big NOs to: PEONY, sweet pea, anything too dirty-sexy, anything too sharp or masculine, lemon, coconut

edited because I forgot some!

Edited by Christine Daae

Hi there! Here are a few recommendations from little old me.

Bon Vivant

An effervescent blend of crystalline champagne notes and sweet strawberry

I've never tried it, but its supposed to be sparkling strawberry.

If you're a gourmand you might like

Eat Me

Three white cakes, vanilla, and red and black currants.

It smells exactly as described, vanilla cake with a bit of fruit.

Kitsune-Tsuki

Asian plum, orchid, daffodil, jasmine and white musk.

If you like florals, this is beautiful, its springtime flowers with the plum rounding it out.

Milk Moon 2007

A fertile scent, generous, life-affirming, and swelling with a sense of triumph, warmth, and abundance: sweet milk, golden honey, fig fruit, pomegranate, dates, and white grape.

I haven't tried 2005 but this is wonderful. Its creamy delicious fruit.

I hope this helped a bit! Good luck!

When I first started BPALing, you couldn't get fruity scents within a mile of me - "I don't want to smell like a Jolly Rancher!" I thought, and mentally wrote off anything with fruit in the description...

Yeah. :blush: Well. So much for that, then :lol:

I still don't like the really cloyingly fruity scents - Jester, Bordello, Shango all go horribly sweet & sticky on me. And as a rule, berries with anything creamy aren't my friend either... but oooooh baby, Beth's made some fantastic fruity blends I do adore:

Tanuki - top of the heap for me, lots of tart green bamboo underscoring the yuzu & persimmon...

Earth Rat - melon gummies FTW!

Fairy Wine - I have to be in the right mood for this one, but the contrast of the bitter dandelion & juicy currant is divine

Cheshire Cat - that which made me love grapefruit again :)

Lady Una - blackberry honey green tea heaven! I know a lot of folks have trouble with Beth's blackberry note, but I loooove it

Oblation - blackberry again, but with perfumey lavender & honey, absolutely edible

Diwali - more subtle than the others in its fruitiness, but the mango in this is lovely

Haloes - once this ages, the apricot blends so nicely with the woods & vanilla

There are a handful of scents that I really did like, but just couldn't see myself wearing - March Hare, Hymn to Proserpine, Swank, Imp... all felt better suited to soap or shower gel than for all-day wear...

Big YESes to: ORANGE! (especially blood orange), pomegranate, apple, pear, grape, berries, apricot/peach, fruity-florals, anything that can be described as "sparkly," vanillas & ambers

Totally try Khrysee, I know it's an LE and all but it's a gorgeous sexy vanilla amber with orange blossom. And it's available now :)

Bumping this thread to see if there are any new reccomendations, or if anyone can help me out!

Have recently found out that my fiance loves fruity smells! Since I have been with the man for about 2 1/2 years now, that will show you just how many fruity perfumes I own! ;) Unfortunately the blend that he liked was Earth Ox, which has the PEONY OF SOAPY DEATH in it, so after it settled on my skin he agreed that it smelled "like shampoo."

Generally, I'm a floral girl, with a bit of a gorumand edge, but there are lots of fruity notes I like and I hope you lovelies can help me! :)

Big NOs to: PEONY, sweet pea, anything too dirty-sexy, anything too sharp or masculine, lemon, coconut

edited because I forgot some!

I think one scent that might just be up your alley is the '07 Yule Angeronalia (olive blossom, white nectarine, vibrant blood orange, honey absolute, lemongrass, elemi, sensual patchouli, and the quiet purity of gardenia). True, it was an LE, but I see it crop up on the swaps now and again, and it's a gorgeous blend -- the whole is definitely greater than the sum if its parts.

Eat Me is most certainly a blend you need to track down! If you love gourmand and berries/currants, this is the blend for you.

I know everyone is probably sick of me pimping this one, but Australian Copperhead is one of my all-time favorites, and you should try it now before it goes away forever so you have plenty of time to hoard :lol:. I don't do Snake Oil, but the acai berry really pops in this blend and makes the scent both fun and sexy at the same time.

Also seconding the suggestion for Lady Una -- it's rare I can handle a honey perfume, but the tea and blackberry here work with the honey musk and make for a gorgeous springtime blend.

Katharina is also a great springtime/daytime blend, and is GC to boot.

And finally, everyone (EVERYONE!) needs to try Snow White at least once. ;)