Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
PilotKitten

BPAL Fruit Blends - the many variations

Seconding Depraved, Carnal and Frumious Bandersnatch.

Good luck with that! I wasn't fond of Imp, but I did enjoy FB tremendously.

Anything that lists "spiced wine" or just wine in the description should do you--in practice, "wine" is almost always "sweet grapes". Kali, Athens, and Delphi all have that going on and smell pretty similar to me.

If you like strawberries, I totally recommend Maenad -- on me, it smells like spicy strawberry jam.

I have very limited experience with BPAL (so far), in fact I've only just received my first order. But the fruits and fruity-florals I tried (jester, kitsune-tsuki, Xiuhtecuhtli, Megaera) were FAR too sweet for my tastes (kind of like those big twisty suckers I loved as a child). Fae on the other hand was definitely not too sweet, but the oakmoss just ruined it for me. And Katharina, well I guess apricot really isn't my thing (my grandfather used to make apricot moonshine, in his cellar I believe - I guess that smell takes me back a liiittle too far....)

So, what are some of the less sweet fruits and fruity-florals that you have found?

(FYI, I especially love warm fruits and fruity-florals and purple fruits like blackcurrant and plum. But patchouli, carnation, and clove....gross)

Thank you!

Edited by SurrealReality

You might like Aglaea, but I'm thinking it'll be too sweet- I found it to be in the same scent category as Katharina. Still, it's worth a try. If you liked Fae, except for the oakmoss, I'd also recommend Thaleia. Other scents to consider: Purple Phoenix, Fire Pig, Yerevan, Tintagel, Bordello, Dragon's Heart, Cheshire Cat, Gomorrah, Strangler Fig, Oya, Venice, Hymn to Proserpine, Sundew, Baneberry, Eden, and maybe Tamora.

Of the above, I'd recommend Yerevan and Hymn to Proserpine the most strongly.

Hiya, I want to second the suggestions of Fire Pig and Hymn to Proserpine. Fire Pig is a favorite of mine, a very light airy fruit blend. Hymn to Proserpine is also good if you can wear amber.

Purple Phoenix smelled awful to me, but I hate grape. :P

I also love the Hamptons, but it might be too sweet and fruity for you. It really does smell a lot like a cosmopolitan. lol

Try Ayzen-Myoo, fruity with a floral edge, smelled to me like a kind of luxurious bath product.

Hmmm...you might want to try Hanging Gardens, Gomorrah and/or Venice, and possibly Endymion, Carnal and/or Swank as well.

If you like Snake Oil (but probably you don't as you don't like patchouli) you should try Australian Copperhead - berries.

Also I agree on The Hanging Gardens.

I think swank will be too sweet for you. Maybe some fruit/incense blend, like masabakes or a nice pear like tenochtitlan

I'm not fond of most fruit blends because of the sweetness, but I'm wearing Hetairae (golden honey, fiery patchouli, sweet fig and clove, and a blushing touch of ylang ylang) right now and I kinda like it. It goes on sweet, but then the sweet fades as the spiciness comes out.

i second (or third, whatever) hanging gardens, though i think the suggestion of swank may be a little too cloying for your tastes (it tasted like a big ol' red lollipop to me). you might also want to try machu picchu, which is an "airy" fruity-floral, or at least i think so. i too am not a fan of too much sweetness, and i loved fae, too...though i love oakmoss hehe

good luck.

I'm gonna third the rec for Hymn to Proserpine and second Yerevan - I love Yerevan! It has a really nice plum note and is a bit sweet, but more tart on my skin. Also (because I love pomegranate) I want to mention Persephone - which is very juicy and dewy, not sickly sweet at all - and La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente (although that may be too sweet for you).

There is also Shango from the Excolo category *The Master of Lightning’s ofrenda contains red apples, banana, chili pepper, coconut, pineapple, pomegranate and sugar cane.*

I just recently tried Cheshire Cat, and I'd totally recommend it. A very nice fruity-floral scent that doesn't smell like candy! :P

My favorite non-sweet fruit scent is Rosalind. The berries are definitely there, but the grass and light florals give it a just-after-a-rainshower freshness. You might also want to try Tweedledee ... bright citrus and floral, with a little spark from the white pepper.

If you liked Fae, but found the oakmoss off-putting, give Tamora a try. Similar enough to try, as Tamora wears a bit better. For fruity, without too much sweetness, I also like Tweedledum. It's a darker fruit blend. Often the lighter fruit such as Cheshire Cat and maybe something like Hungry Ghost Moon would appeal to you. The musks keep them from going sacchrine sweet.

I :P Fire Pig and I'm not one for juicy florals in general.

Cheshire Cat might also be good.

Oh, and Night Gaunt. For me that was like smelling a grapefruit, pith and all. So definitely not too sweet.

You ask for fruity but it doesn't look like people are mentioning the great citruses BPAL has. The sweet citruses go icky on me so we might have similar tastes in citruses.

Enbalming Fluid - I didn't try it until they frimped me with another order, because the name doesn't sound yummy, but it is my favorite citrus in the catalog. Very refreshing and energetic.

Shanghai - Very similar to EF but less tart. They are both very good.

Aizen-Myoo - More fruity, more tropical than either of the others. I also detect a floral that the other two do not have.

I love Fae. I don't get oakmoss from it at all. I didn't even know there was any in it. It's all honeysuckle and fruit punch to me. Yep, I keep trying other fruities but these are still my favs. Good luck :P

ETA: Yemaya! It's sweeter than some of the others I mentioned but it's melony so in a different way.

Edited by Tempest

The Cup of Death! Delicate peach and lavender, not sweet at all, quite somber and lovely.

I'm really loving the Witch Queen, so I would recomment that. On me it is quite a fruity floral- lots of juicy plum tempered by incense and flowers. :P

You ask for fruity but it doesn't look like people are mentioning the great citruses BPAL has. The sweet citruses go icky on me so we might have similar tastes in citruses.

Enbalming Fluid - I didn't try it until they frimped me with another order, because the name doesn't sound yummy, but it is my favorite citrus in the catalog. Very refreshing and energetic.

Shanghai - Very similar to EF but less tart. They are both very good.

Aizen-Myoo - More fruity, more tropical than either of the others. I also detect a floral that the other two do not have.

I love Fae. I don't get oakmoss from it at all. I didn't even know there was any in it. It's all honeysuckle and fruit punch to me. Yep, I keep trying other fruities but these are still my favs. Good luck :P

ETA: Yemaya! It's sweeter than some of the others I mentioned but it's melony so in a different way.

Embalming Fluid is one of the scents that enchanted me from the get-go! My favourite uncle is a mortician, and I keep thinking I ought to get a bottle for his wife.

I didn't mention citrus in mine, because the first post mentioned warm, juicy and deep fruits. However, my favourite fruity florals are Whitechapel and Katharina (which I know you don't like). If you like lilacs, though- Whitechapel is lilacs and white musk and lime, and it is SO good.

I would second Yemaya, because it has a musk that deepens it and cuts the sweetness, at least on me. (I was allergic to something in it, and would've preferred it stay the wet honeydew it is when I first apply it, because it was fantastic, as my tastes run, heh.)