Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

PUNKIE NIGHT
Once upon a time, on a wild October night many years ago, a fair took place at Chiselborough. The men of the village of Hinton St. George made their way to the fair, and spent the night in revelry, drinking and carrying on, far into the darkest hours. Their wives grew concerned, and went looking for their unruly husbands. In order to see their way through the autumn gloom, they hollowed out mangel-wurzels and crafted them into makeshift lanterns. The drunken men, in their sloshy haze, saw the ghostly lights approaching, and believed them to be goolies -- the furious spirits of unbaptized children. In terror, they fled in panic from their bemused, bewildered wives.

To this day, that night of foolishness is still celebrated! This is a light-hearted scent: apple orchards, bright cranberries, and a touch of warm cider.

APPLES APPLES APPLES! This is such a yummy scent...I want to take a bite out of my arm!

When this was wet it was all apple on my skin. As it dried I got a little bit of fruit, cherries? (Nope once I looked it up I realized it was cranberries) and just the tiniest hint of spice. When dry it smells just like my house when I put a pot of cider on to simmer. Yummy, yummy, yummy!!!!

I'm so happy with my choices for the Haloweenie scents! Thanks Beth for such great fall scents...it's my favorite time of year and now I can smell like it!

Woah golly, this is the apple blend I've been looking for!

In the bottle, it's a very "apples and..." scent. It reminds me of Harvest Moon '06, which is probably the cranberry mimicking all of the berries in that Lunacy.

Once it's on, the "and" vanishes, and it's just a perfect apple! But it's a fresh, crisp apple. This is the apple that you pick in the orchard and eat it outside in the fall breeze as the leaves fall all around you.

And, just as Kimocean said, once it begins to really dry down, that hint of spiciness comes in and it's a wonderful apple cider.

Not only is this a great perfume, but I have a feeling it will make a spectacular room scent once on the cold and blustery October afternoons that will be soon upon us.

I'm'a gonna have to buy more bottles of this one! Beth is a genius!

11/10

I thought I experienced the ultimate apple with Creepy, but Punkie Night kicks it's ass!

In the bottle: Strong herbal with and fruity spice scent backing it up.

Wet: A very fresh apple crunch smell, when you've just bit down into an ice cold one and it's so sweet and cold your teeth hurt.

Drydown: It gets spicy, that must be the cranberry mixing in with the apple. There's a real autumn harvest feel to this oil. I'm glad I opted to buy a bottle, instead of joining a decant circle.

There are several Samhain scents I'm looking forward to trying out as well. Another 5 star scent from Beth!

So far, there isn't a single Halloween blend I'm not in love with. Punkie Night is no exception.

My goodness, this is autumn captured in a bottle. I feel like I'm walking through a outdoor farmers market on a cool autumn evening. I just passed the lovely ripe red apples. They are aching to be made into warm cider so I put a few in my basket. The air is charged with the electricity of the cool breeze after a long hot summer. Halloween is on its way.

BPALPunkieeNight.jpg

In the bottle

Fruitiness

On

Apples and fresh air with a bit of an herbal background.

30 minutes

Hasn't morphed at all.

Throw:

Yes, a little bit of the apple wafts up...Mmm.

Scent category:

Fruity

Summary

This is fantastic, it's like fresh apples picked off a tree. Punkiee Night is even more of an Autumn scent than Samhain to me (ducks tomatoes).

Purchase again?

Yes!

1-5 rating (5 being best)

punkienight.jpg

Wow, this one is a real beauty. It starts out with an apple-like opener which is stunningly snappy and just like an apple. It's heady. I just fell in with the reverie here and let the autumn thoughts flit through my head. Then the perfume started to peek out, and a beautiful sophisticated almost silk blend that is as well. I just think this is a pretty pretty blend and is really up my alley more than heavier ones which are about this time of year. For all you lighter peeps, Punkie Night is highly recommended. It's a gorgeous scent which reminds me of the best of Hungry Ghost Moon (a real winner and very silky to me) and Hesperides (without the birch). Punkie Night is memorable.

In the bottle:

Green and oddly bitter

On me:

Something about Beth's apple note just goes a little wierd on me. It's always sort of green and a little floral even. I have had this happen with all of her apple blends I've tried - most noticeably in Harvest Moon and Hesperides. This reminds me a lot of Harvest Moon at first - it's quite green and has a sort of floral scent behind it. Very similar to how Harvest Moon behaved on my skin.

It is sort of vaguely apples and cider to me but not like real apples and cider if that makes sense. It's not as sweet and fruity or tart as either of those are in real life. On me, Beth's apple note just goes a little off. Not bad, mind you, but not as appley as it is on everyone else.

Aside from that small disappointment (because I really DID want a nice cider scent) it's very pretty. Like I said, it does have a floral edge to it, so it comes off as more fall-ish and sophisticated than foody and warm as I was expecting.

Final note:

It really does remind me of Harvest Moon, they smell quite similar on my skin. I wish this had been more true to an apple and cider smell on me, but that's not the way it works with Beth's apple on me unfortunately. However, I do like it and will be keeping it for a lovely fall scent :P

In the bottle: A happy apple scent. Not entirely different from Creepy, but this one is more subdued to me.

Wet on the skin: Apple, much like the apple in Harvest Moon '06. Im getting that cider note.. and a blast of cranberry. At first it smells like a hint of florals but it is the cranberry confusing my nose. Taking a closer sniff of my arm I get the cranberry distinctly.

On drydown: On me this is a bit dusty. Its a light, actually a super light harvesty apple cider scent. In fact once it has dried I have to shove my nose onto my skin to smell it. My skin is eating this up :P

Wow, what a happy scent. I'm going to slather this one. It's pretty straightforward and just like what everyone has said: bright, crisp apples with a fruity, spicy cider kick and a heckuva throw. Everyone could smell me from across the room.

What I especially love is how authentic this smells--not the least bit fake or plastic. A bushel of happy, juicy apples. Wheee! :P

This is a very bright, strong, slightly "perfumey" apple with the electric "zing" of cranberries. Very fruity and tart, but not as fragrantly evocative as I'd hoped =/

Apples and apples and apples and apples and cranberry with spice.

Yum! I really like it actually. It's a bit sweeter and spicier than a real apple, more like cider. I find it very fall-like and beautiful. If you don't like apples? No Punkie Night for you!

5 out of 5.

WOW! Completely different than what I expected to smell. I guess I had this preconceived notion of how an apple fragrance should smell and this one is unlike anything I've ever feasted my nose upon. The apple in Punkie Night is not drizzled with sugar or caramel, it is crisp and full bodied. When I sniff my wrists I get a tactile association of peeling the skin off an apple. It is at first a cold and crisp scent, later warmed by the cider spices and made complete with a sprinkling of cranberries.

I love this. It seems very unique and versatile.

When I was a kid maybe once a year, in the fall, my mom would take me to a pick-your-own apples orchard. The first sniff of Punkie Night on my wrist was like a just-picked, just-bitten-into apple. Soon, it got a bit rounder (the cranberry?), and then the warm-and-spicy came into play.

This is Autumn. The kind of autumns I grew up with in Connecticut, with the leaves turning and the weather getting chilly, not the Texas autumns I live with now (still in the 90s now!). It's beautiful and I love it.

In the bottle: Apples! Juicy, tart, cider-y apple though. Not the sweet, BBW "Country Apple" smell.

Wet: The cranberries come to the front, with lovely fruity, but not too sweet, sparkle.

Dry: Mellows quickly. I notice a bit of the "floral" some others have mentioned, but it is a passing phase. Very nice.

Later : The fresh apple fades to a more spicy cranberry/cider scent. The scent reminds me of the taste of spiced cider. This is autumn in New England.

Verdict: I really love this! I think this is the best autumn apple smell I've found so far. Its fresh, bright and very natural.

For me, fall is synonymous with trips to the cider mill for fresh pressed cider and donuts. The moment you step inside the mill, the apple cider scent is overwhelming. Punkie Night captures that experience in a bottle. Crisp, juicy, tart apples and nothing else. Strong and long-lasting. It’s wonderful -- the autumn scent I'd always hoped for.

Ever wonder if you were sent the wrong scent with the right label? All of these reviews smell exactly as I thought it would smell, but my bottle does not.

In the bottle: Whatever note that is that smells like acetone. It was in one of my Chaos Theories, and it smells "yucky" in the bottle, for lack of a better word, but at least disappates on my skin.

Wet: Acetone, acetone, acetone.

Dry: Acetone's fading away, leaving a little fruity sweetness. It smells a lot like potpourri though, not like what I was expecting. I'll try this again in a week to see if hormonal changes are at fault, and if it smells the same still, it's off to the swaps. I was so looking forward to this...so disappointing :P .

Yep, just like everyone else is saying, this is delicious red apples. Crisp, fresh, gorgeous. Then the spice comes in with just a hint of something woody. The spices are a bit candle-like; I wish the apple note would last longer.

It does turn to apple cider which is very evocative. But my skin just eats it up--it barely lasts an hour. And while I can smell something when I press my nose against my skin later, it is just the hint of spice, which frankly, isn't that different from Pumpkin Queen's dry down on me (and I find PQ much much more interesting.)

I'm afraid I probably don't need to keep both--esp. since I still have the Pumpkin Patches from last year for an autumnal spice kick.

Punkie Night - in the bottle: fresh apples with the tang of cider, very crisp. Once on the apples warm up a bit so it's not as cool and serious (like Verdandi). There's more cider coming through with maybe a touch of cranberry adding some fruity tartness. Mostly this is a silly, playful apple scent. Quite perfect for fall!

Rich, sweet golden apples in the bottle, with the spices and cider coming out more on the skin. There is a faint something else in the background - not the cranberry so much as something vaguely woody, almost like you can taste the oak barrel that cider might be aged in. A perfect seasonal scent.

EDIT: There is a faintly sharp note in here that skates about. A little aging to let things settle, I think.

Edited by maewitch

I love the scent of apples. this is a big, juicy apple, lightly spiced. absolutely wonderful! :P

[edit: 10/31] I'm wearing this today and am blown away by how it's changed in the weeks I've had it. before, it was gorgeous but faded on me quickly. now it has good staying power and is the scent of a delicious, spicy apple - not as demure as before. it's utterly fantastic and a perfect fall scent. I love this!

Edited by Nightbird

Yum yum yum. I am a Fall baby, I love this time of the year. This to me, along with Harvest Moon 06 or 05 are the perfect Fall Duo.

Wet in the bottle I got apples, tart and sweet, like Minnesota's own Honeycrisp. Just perfect.

Wet on my skin, a tart berry and still those apples. As it dries, that mulling spice from the cider hit big, and there is no better scent.

This is a great blend and would rock as a room scent. I normally never would do both, but this is perfumed enough to wear on the skin and still make your living room an autumn escape.

Edited by SoapyRN

Wow. That's all I've got to say.

In the bottle: Super-crisp apples and cider, with a hot tang that must be cranberry. Aggressively spicy and a little 'hot' - not spicy-hot, but hard-cider-just-out-of-the-carboy-hot.

On, wet: cider and cinnamon red hots. No joke. I'm craving cider doughnuts now - that's how evocative the scent is.

Drydown: the cinnamon pungency mellows out, leaving a warm, silky mulled-cider scent. This is such a lovely, archetypal autumn scent - all warm reds, golds and browns.

I don't get a straight-apple scent at any point, save perhaps in the imp (but it's a bit spicy even then.) Apple with strong mulling spices, perhaps? It is a crisp and clean scent (and one of the first 'autumn' scents to avoid the craft-store/potpourri association for me.) The cranberry makes a richer scent, and I'd say that as time wears on the cider spices mellow, making it even smoother and more satisfying.

straight sniff from bottle is cranberry, macintosh apple w/a hint of spice :P

once applied this is a warm apple cider beverage with a cinnamon stick....i like this very much...this is fairly strong and just an absolute perfect blend for a day like today in new england...low 50's, wind blowing, colorful leaves flying through the air...superbly done :D