Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Punkie Night-

To this day, that night of foolishness is still celebrated! This is a light-hearted scent: apple orchards, bright cranberries, and a touch of warm cider.

In the bottle I get fresh red & green apples.

On me, :P this is frikken gorgeous. I smell mostly apples, a bit of cider spice & a hint of cranberry.

This does remind me of HM06, however it is less dark. It's very crisp but soft at the same time.

This is a fall scent I'll be reaching for often. I might even need to get another bottle!

This is a nice, warm, non-spicy apple cider scent. I prefer the complexity of Harvest Moon '06 as an apple scent, and since I have a few bottles of that, I'll be passing on this one. Still, it's very well-done and perfect for the fall.

Fresh tart apples and cranberries! Gets a little bit sweeter and spicier on dry-down, but still really fresh...

I love this as a fall room scent so this will get a lot of use that way! :P I don't think I'll reach for it much as a perfume to wear myself......

Rating: /10

In the bottle:

Distincly smells of fall fruits especially bright red apples.

Initial Scent (on skin):

I do not get apples from this at all, which was a suprise from the bottle sniff. This goes heavy on the spiced cranberry with a tiny hint of apple cider.

Staying Power:

Staying power is okay. I dont get wafts of the scent thoughout the day but can still smell it on my wrist.

In the bottle this smelled of cider spices and apples

One it got on me though, the apples dissappeared and it was more cinnemon and spice. Very nice though. A good fall scent

With Punkie Night, right away the spice and apples hit me and fills me with warm fuzzy autumn memories. Applied to the skin, it's a not-too-sweet appley and spice smell that just makes you smile. After it gets a moment to dry and settle into my skin, it smells exactly like the gummy cinnamon bears of my childhood...yum. I love the smell, but having it on me is a bit too much. It's distracting...all I can think about is how to get my hands on a cinnamon bear!

This smells like mulled cider, and almost a little bit "craft store" on me. The tartness of the cranberries seeps in just slightly when I get close to my skin, but the throw is all cider.

Decided to try this today as the buttery note in the bottle of Pumpkin Queen is still scaring me away.

In the bottle: Woods, cider, a vague spice and cranberries. Absolutely lovely.

Wet: I smell like a candle.

Drydown and Later: Progressively worsening candle smell. It's a very lovely candle smell, all autumny and cidery and nice but I don't want to smell like a candle.

I'm not big on room fragrances so this one will be passed on to someone who loves it.

Edited by phoefromelsewhere

In the bottle, this smells just like the first pumpkin patch blend. Kinda a sharp apple cider fragrance.

On me... the sharpness softens, but this becomes a rather perfumey apple scent. It doesn't smell like true apple to me, but reminds me very strongly of the Bath & Body Works "Country Apple" scent. Almost floral, fakely sweet, perfumey apple.

After 15 minutes or so, a hint of cinnamon and some woods are coming out behind the country apple. Now it smells like craft store... where they have the premade wreaths and cinnamon-apple candles.

Punkie Night isn't as natural a scent as I was hoping for. This will be making its way into my oil burner though. It's a nice home fragrance for the upcoming winter season, I think.

ETA: And this is crazily strong and has a lot of throw on me. I've had it on for an hour and had to scrub it off because it was giving me a headache. Very overpowering.

Edited by Blood onmy hands

Blech. I'm glad I got a decant instead of a bottle of this. I forgot that cranberry overpowers and turns to potpourri on me. Not cool.

I agree that it has a lot of throw and lasts a long time, but I love this scent! When it's wet, I can smell all of its ingredients at once - the wood of the orchard, the cranberry and the spices in the cider. As it dries on me, the apple amps and the spices remain, with the sweetness of the cranberry becoming the high note.

So it's a lot like dabbing apple cider behind your ears, but the scent is unbelievably warm, autumnal, golden and authentic.

Wet, I smell apple cider and spices. There's also a hint of woods. Like standing in an apple orchard. Drydown, the spices take a step back to let sweet apples get center stage. This was how I had imagined The Hesperides to smell like. Fresh, tartly sweet apples. Punkie Night is just Yumm-O, and I wore it last night too.

Eta: It also reminds me of Harvest Moon 06, only more apples and less complex.

Edited by mandragora

Uh oh...I keep getting the same crayon wax smell from this as I did from Lampades. I don't think cranberries like me. :P Punkie Night is overall mostly apples. I don't get any spice from the cider out of it. It's just sweet, soft apples darkened by crayons. I want to love this, but I can't ignore the crayon smell on me.

In the bottle: apples, apples, apples, but a kind of chemical apples, not the extremely natural scent like in PP1.

On my skin: turns to 100% chemical apples.

After a couple of hours: nothing much left, just some spiciness maybe.

Verdict: I'm so disappointed, I had high expectations about this one. I nearly ordered a bottle only based on the description... I still want to try it as a roomscent before giving up totally.

But the real apple/cider scent remains PP1 for me.

Apples, a hint of cranberries and some woods. As it dries down, the cranberries and woods become less apparant, the apple cider becomes obvious and the spices within the apple cider amp a bit. I like the beginning, which is sweet, light and crisp apple, but am not fond of the middle and end, which reminds me slightly of a candle. :P

I couldn't put my finger on it, but after reading Angharad's review I do smell crayons! Apple scented crayons! I like this at first, and I sort of like smelling like a candle, but the mulling spices end up sort waxy on me. Ah well. I like it well enough though.

Yes, this ends up waxy on me. :P At first I get warm, tart apple cider....but the drydown is very candle-y. I agree with the crayon analogy. But I do not get that with Lampades (I *love* Lampades!)--so it's not the cranberries that does tha wax thing. Maybe it's the cider?

Punkie Night

In the imp: crisp, tart apples.

Wet on skin: I smell green apples, red apples and cider in here now.

Dry on skin: mmm, interesting. this is very apple-y indeed. It's predominantly a dry, crisp, sharp apple very similar to that of the Hesperides, as opposed to the sweeter apples in Verdandi and Les Bijoux, it's also very much a 'fizzy apple drink' scent as well, bubbly as well as crisp and green. I smell a hint of sweeter red apple underneath. I think the cranberry note may be adding more sharpness to it all.

After a while: eventually the cider scent really, really comes out. It's not the odd 'papery-dry' or the 'Appletise' scent I get with other cider scents, but a definite smell of booze and fermentation. This really does smell alcoholic now, like true cider, freshly brewed from the apple harvest. I still get the crisp sharp green apple scent around the outside, the tartness enhanced by the cranberries. The only worry is that this fermenting apple scent has the potential to turn rotten on me.

This nearly goes into 'rotting fruit' territory but doesn't, thankfully, it turns to boozy cider, sharp and clear with hints of apple skin (something here really does smell like the skin of an apple) to it.

After a few hours, the scent of apple skins, green apple flesh, and cider linger faintly.

Verdict: I love eating apples, and the smell of real apples. But when it comes to apple scents, I prefer them to be very complex (like the Harvest Moons), or well grounded with unusual notes, or sweetened and spiced, otherwise the apple note smells a little too sharp and thin on me. This was the case here-it was all apple and no depth, the apple scent was too dry and tart, not sweet or juicy. It was also quite thin on me. I must say that the cider note in here is spot on though-the cider here smells more true than most apple cider scents-this has a real feel of booze and fermentation to it, like home brewed cider. But in the end, the scent isn't my favourite when it comes to apples-it's very similar to the Hesperides, and I prefer Creepy as my apple Halloween LE.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Probably not, I prefer my apple scents to be sweeter, more spicy, or mixed with deeper and richer notes.

If you like this, try: The Hesperides, Harvest Moon (any), Ladon

in the bottle: apple. Ripe and juicy. :P

wet: the apple now has an unidentifiable zing, perhaps it's the cranberries? It's a little sour.

dry: :D this is a delightful, crisp, sweet apple. I get a hint of the caramel or something from Creepy, but just a hint- this is much fresher. It's also got a little almost lemon/tangy zing to it. Lovely.

overall impression: This is great- the fresh apple I hoped for from the Hesperides (which went rotten on me) and more. It's foody with decent throw, while still being light, crisp, and clean. I'm 2/2 on the Halloweenie scents so far, and I'm so happy. Only problem is, with the Yules and Resurrecteds and CD and GCs... how can I afford it all? :D

Lovely in the bottle! All heavy apples and a tiny hint of something sharp - the cranberry? Either way, this is gorgeous - I'm having delierious daydreams of using it as a room-scent for next Halloween's party!

On skin, however ... ugh, not so much. It goes way too sweet (which is a first for me, since I'm a huge fan of sweet, foody scents, but this is way overboard!). It's all apple - kinda reminds me of one of last year's Pumpkin Patches - way too sweet and just ... well, not for me.

This is bringing my tally for the week's BPAL orders to 4 that don't work vs. 1 that does. :P

Punkie Night - Apple rarely works on me. It starts out smelling rancid and turns into a wet penny loafer smell from there. This is one scent that is no exception -- except it smells like penny loafers boiled in spicy cider. I have a feeling that without the overwhelming apple scent, the cider/cranberry blend would be phenomenal, but the apple completely destroys it for me. The throw is very light and the staying power is quite poor. It's got just enough of that berry-spice scent that I love in holiday candles, so I think that as poorly as it works on my skin, it just might work nicely if used in an oil burner to scent my home around the holidays.

Punkie Night 2010 - My skin chemistry has changed since the original version came out, and apple typically smells nice on me now, so I really like the 2010 version. I think it's exactly the same ratio of oils as the original 2006 release. This time, however, on my skin, it smells like delicious crisp apple, yummy tart cranberry, and has a slight edge of mulling spices warming it up. Very pretty, and I would love to drink this if it tasted as good as it smells!

Edited by Edens Sixth Day

In the bottle: Wow, this is dark. It reminds me of bobbing for apples.

Wet on skin: Definitely a dark apple scent, with a bit of spice. If I sniff my wrist up close I can smell some cranberry as well.

Dry on skin: This hasn't morphed much, but it's gotten a little bit stronger. This has fantastic throw.

Verdict: I love this! I wasn't so keen on it the first time because I wasn't sure I liked the dark, spicy apples without the sweetness. The second time around, though, I fell in love.

I get the apple cider out of this, and it smells nice, however, i've worn it twice and both times, it has faded in two hours on me. I'll give it a few more tries though, it's such a nice smell.