Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Black Dahlia

Voluptuous magnolias strewn over orchid, star jasmine, black amber and smoky rose.

Black Dahlia - This is definitely an old-time floral, very much like what I remember my great-grandmother smelling like when I was a really little girl. The florals are lush and rich. There's something slightly sweet floating underneath the richness of the florals -- perhaps that's just the sweetness of the flowers themselves? I can't usually wear BPAL jasmine, and unfortunately, this has enough jasmine in it that I'm unable thoroughly enjoy it, but otherwise, it's beautiful, and I may still keep on wearing it despite that weirdness that jasmine does on me. This is All Woman, incredibly feminine, and reminds me both of my childhood in Southern California and my great-grandmother's scent, but also reminds me of my teen years spent in the Deep South. If I'd had this scent when I was 16, I'd probably have worn it to all the coming-out parties. I could see it being worn to a springtime southern tea party, as well. You know, the more I review it, and the more I think about it, the more I believe I'm going to hang on to this and keep wearing it. It's sweet and pretty and feminine. Just beautiful.

This smells like my porch in the spring. Lots of magnolia and jasmine. The amber is just lovely mixed in with this. I want a bottle of this for winter so I can remember that once it becomes warm, my flowers will bloom and smell like Black Dahlia. :P

In the imp: Excellent--another hothouse floral. I'm always on the lookout for "down home" scents, and this one strikes me as quite Georgian, with the characteristic magnolia. However, there's something weird here. I can't put my finger on it. I know it's not the jasmine, so it's probably either the rose or the orchid, and it's quite sharp.

Wet: The base floral is being pushed back by whatever it is that is distracting my nose. I think it is the rose, and it is a sharp, heady "classic" rose.

Drydown and wear: The rose settles down a little bit, but it still dominates the entire blend This is quite sad, as magnolia and orchid are two of my favorite florals and I liked the bit of steam that the amber (which fades fast) added to the proceedings. However, I'm going to have to swap this one.

in imp: Jasmine and magnolia! Brings to mind a summer evening.

On: Strong floral with an amber undernote; almost a conventional perfume, only I’m not allergic to it :P

In the imp: Magnolias.

On the wrist: Magnolias and possibly some jasmine. But mostly magnolias.

Summary: I've just realized I really don't like magnolias. Beautifully crafted scent, wonderful for a floral scent lover, of which I am not.

Off to the swaps.

i *heart* magnolia, orchid and rose. and they *heart* me right back.

black amber and i have an understanding...

jasmine and i... well. oil and water would be putting it nicely, at least THAT combination sometimes makes rainbows.

all i get is jasmine and amber. it is still alot more tolerable than jasmine usually is for me, but i keep thinking it will end up turning into that thing that jasmine does on me, so i can't be comfortable wearing this. i have been constantly sniffing at my hand, though, trying to decide how i feel about it.

i say this sometimes, when i think it might be true: i think this would be a good starter scent for some, especially folkses who like alot of the elizabeth arden or estee lauder scents, possibly some of the liz taylor scents (the drydown on this reminds me a bit of Vivid)... or to use to make gifts for ladyrelatives.

Procured: Frimp

In Imp: Floral - violets, lilly of the valley, a little musk

On Skin, Wet: Jasmine!

On Skin, Dry: soapy floral w/ jasmine. After 1>hrs my skin ate it - gone not fragrance left.

I've tried Black Dahlia several times because I love orchid scents, but jasmine does not go well for me, and I can't seem to get a handle on this one.

On the first test: I get mostly jasmine, I think, but it's nice.

On the second test: Wet, it's a pretty sweet floral, but maybe a bit dark underneath. I can pick up some orchid.

On the third test: Wet, it's a heavy floral, like I expect jasmine to be on me. It's OK but not great. It dries to a spicy powdery sweetness. I don't get any orchid this time.

I never really get any magnolia or rose from this one, and my nose almost never picks up Beth's amber. I think I have to break down and accept that Black Dahlia is, on my skin, the usual Jasmine Explosion.

Preconceived notions: I'm not a florals gal, and I don't like heavy perfumes, so I didn't think this one would be for me.

IN THE VIAL: I was right. This one is waaay too floraly for me. it's heady and saturated with magnolias and orchids and very dark. The scent just jumps at you out of the bottle in a way that no other of the (few) scents I've tried has. Down, girl!

WET: please calm down please calm down and it does, a little bit. the persistent bloominess of the first sniff fades a little, and a huge amount of rose wafts up, but the magnolia is still hanging around. I gave it a few minutes but it really didn't seem to be mellowing much. Has great throw, I'll say that -- I had to wash it off because even with my arms at my sides I could smell it, and I really didn't want to.

VERDICT: if you love heady florals, this is for you. Hopefully someone will swap it for something nilla-y or aquatic for me!

ETA typos. typos. they are not my friends.

Edited by myoubi

In the bottle: FLORAL!!! Heady, dark, heavy floral, with that funk smell I associate with jasmine and paperwhites. That underlying ode d' pew that flowers like that have for me.

Wet: heady, dark super florals. This isn't some demure southern belle, this is a punch you in the nose floral. Funk, funk, funk. I am being chased by ode d' pew.

Dry down: surprisingly the funk just up and disappeared. This is turning into a very lovely floral. But it is still a floral, and there are very few exceptions for me.

30 minutes: a lovely little floral. Very femme, very nice.

Conclusion: Not for me. My mum might love this though, she is a floral gal, or my imp pimp Mandragora.

Rating 1-5, on my skin 1. As a perfume itself, this is a 4.

Let it be said right now that I am not a floral girl. Overly strong floral scents give me headaches and sore throats and I generally do not like them!

With that said, Black Dahlia’s not too bad! This is another one of those scents that stays pretty true to the bottle as it’s worn and dried, with just little changes. Magnolia and orchid are right up there in the front, with just the slightest hint of rose that becomes a little more apparent as time goes by. This smells distressingly like something else I’ve smelled (not distressing in that it smells bad, but distressing in that I can’t recall what this reminds me of!) When it’s completely dry I do get a little bit of soapiness, but it’s a nice clean soapy, so it’s not that bad.

Overall, I do enjoy this scent! It’ll be good if I’m ever in a floral mood. ; )

I'll just have try not to think of the perfume's namesake when I do. Because that story always creeps me out...

straight sniff from imp is lots of florals...not overpowering....kinda perdee :P

once applied...tons of rose, jasmine and smokiness...interesting...do i need a big bottle? not likely...will i use up my imp? sure...from time to time i think this

would be a lovely perfume...it is so strong all i need is a dab or so and it will last for a good, long time :D

Very floral, I'm not normally a big fan of florals esp. jasmine, but it is softened in this and I do like it, particularly once the "screaming" florals die down. And it has some lasting power.

Black Dahlia-

In Bottle: Sweet pretty powdery floral. Very nice.

Wet: Brightly floral, almost with a cherry hint.

Dry: A bright floral; I can't really pick out the florals themselves because I'm not good at that, but it's a pleasant floral, but it's just not for me since florals don't generally send me.

Overall: Pleasant but not for me.

On skin smells classy. A little flowery, but subtle. Very feminine. At first reminds me of something an older woman would wear. I thought I wouldn't like this at all, but I like it. It's soft and feminine and very womanly. I instantly thought of my mom when I put it on me. I put some on my mom and she loves it! She says she can smell ylang ylang and anise from it.

I like this as it's soft and feminine, but overall it's not me -- it's just too feminine for my tastes. I gave the imp to my mom and if she plows through the imp, I'll buy her a bottle for her birthday.

I wonder if I've enabled my mother...

Black Dahlia..frimp compliments of the Labbies...again thank you!!!

It's the last fragrance I am trying for the evening as I am running out of room on my arms... :P

Intial sniff from imp:Holy cow...this is some lush florals going on there..almost like nightblooms..all heavy and super-fragrant. I think I smell predominantly the magnolias..as I grew up with a magnolia tree in the backyard of a house we used to live in..but I also think I smell the orchid as well..definitely not for the faint of heart but yes..definitely voluptuous. I am impressed.

Applied wet on skin:Oh.My.Goodness. :D This is amazing. Magnolia and orchid and some sort of round note filling it with a fullness that is absolutely heady. I feel like I am drowning in some serious and sexy floral. Lush and dark and heavy with intent.

Couple of minutes on skin: Jasmine is coming out to play..and it's got the magnolia/orchid meeting it head on so it doesn't overpower. I am getting some of the rose..definitely classic rose..and in the back I think I get the amber which rounds all of this out..but honestly this whole melange of florals is just simply genius. I am just stunned as to how gorgeous this is on my skin. Completely and utterly stunned. This isn't a delicate floral..it has definite presence..but it's just so hypnotically sexy... :D

Drying on skin:I don't think I register the smoky rose..but I do detect the rose with the magnolia/orchid/jasmine melange and all of this is just one big super sexy party on my skin. Definitely feminine, definitely lush, definitely sexy and definitely not at ALL what I was expecting. I was expecting some loud,brash, super heavy floral. Sure..this is a bit heavy and lush but not loud or brash..just confident and lush.

Throw is strong...lasting power is also formidable...

The black amber in this blend and on my skin is actually more of a supporting role..I think the amber lends a roundess that makes the florals work seamlessly with eachother. Usually with black amber I get a "baby powder" vibe..but luckily that component is absent on me right now.

Drydown:Gorgeous hothouse florals..still lush..just markedly softer..but definitely not non-existent.

Bottom Line: Black Dahlia is a home run for me in the way of florals. I don't usually gravitate towards florals..least of all in either the fall or winter but this lush fragrance just might change my mind. Definitely not a work scent..but it could do wonders on a date or at some summer evening soiree. Heck..I just may put some on the next time I sleep over my significant others..this is a genius floral and I am DEFINTELY buying a 5ml in my next order. Bravo!!!! :D

Magnolias, jasmine. A very heavy, creamy white floral. The amber isn't doing its usual thing here, which means that the scent doesn't fade immediately. I smell a smidge of something almost incensey that reminds me of Rose Cross (frankincense?). Unfortunately, this is so cloying it tends to give me a headache.

Hrm... when wet, I didn't particular think I was going to like this blend. It was just missing something. After the initial drydown it mellows out and comes more into focus, but I still can't pick out anything specific in it. At all. I can't even tell you if I think it's more floral or golden amber or which floral is dominant or anything. I may have to try this one again at a a later date... my cold may be getting to me.

I just got my latest order from the lab this afternoon, and since it was a decent size one, I got a lot of free imps to try. Somehow those are my favorite part. I love seeing what kind of surprises the labbies packed for me with my order. I was thrilled to see that Black Dahlia was one of them, since I just saw a little snippet on the History Channel (or maybe it was the Discovery Channel) about her the other night, remembered that there was a BPAL scent named after her, and instantly regretted not ordering a sample of it with this last shipment.

Even though this scent is a bit stronger than I would normally go for, it is a floral, and I do love my old-fashioned ultra-femme florals. This is definitely that. It also smells very dark, smoky, perhaps a touch tragic, yet also quite elegant. It isn't the kind of floral you associate with bright, spring afternoons. This one is more of a night walk through a Savannah hothouse to me while dressed to the nines. It's definitely the kind of thing you would picture a sophisticated, well-dressed, vintage-era temptress putting on for a night out. Although like many BPAL scents, Black Dahlia tends to change as you wear it with the different notes taking turns coming through, the overall smell of this reminds me strongly of Poison by Christian Dior, which is probably the only commercial department store perfume that I ever bought a huge whopping bottle of and wore fairly often.

Overall verdict? I really like this. It's a floral like my staple scents that I wear all the time, yet it's also a nice deviation from the norm for me. I haven't quite decided if this is going to be one of the bottles I order next, since I don't see myself wearing it every single day due to the headiness of it, but it's definitely on my bottle list. Perfect for a night out, a special occasion, or for one of those days when you really feel like glamming it up.

Edited by Shollin

I like lighter florals; this one is a bit too heady for me. The combination of magnolia and jasmine are RIGHTTHEREINYOURFACE, a deep purple scent, almost black.

It's beautiful, and I think someone with a strong presence can carry off such a strong scent. It reminds me of my sister who prefers these types of scents, the Liz Taylor big league florals. She would dig this one.

Exactly what it purports to be, and well done, but not for me.

Black Dahlia

In the imp: crisp and slightly sharp yet heady white flowers.

Wet on skin: the ‘smoky’ aspect of the rose note is very apparent now, this is a very smoky floral blend.

Dry: interesting. It’s a smoky, almost spicy floral scent on me. pale and delicate flowers but with a dry, smoky, almost burnt scent at the back, like pale woods and herbs lightly smouldering, almost along the lines of light incense, opium or tobacco. I can smell a pale orchid note, possibly jasmine and/or magnolia too, no amber or rose.

After a while: the smoky scent takes a back seat and the orchid and magnolia come to the front. The magnolia isn’t very sweet here, it reminds me of the mag in Hell’s Belle, but the white, heady flowers in this scent now smell more full and make for a sophisticated scent, but there’s a smoky dryness that just about lingers there.

Eventually magnolia and orchid really stand out, but there’s a sweetness now apparent, I think it’s the black amber coming out. I smell the barest hint of rose too. The scent becomes much drier, like the petals are drying out, over time.

Verdict: this is a sophisticated, traditional floral scent. Pale and pretty florals wreathed in smoke, this scent is feminine and almost delicate-fragile even, yet sombre and shadowed. The scent is surprisingly dusty and smoky to start but then it settles into a pleasant mix of rich heady flowers. Very womanly and indeed, voluptuous, but with a hint of something darker to it. I do like this but there are other floral scents in the same vein that I much prefer.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Maybe just the imp.

If you like this, try: Hell’s Belle, La Belle au Bois Dormant, Magdalene, Queen Mab

Initial Impression: roses and jasmin, very sweet but there is something else slightly spicy in the background.

While wearing: The amber scent comes out after wearing it for a little while and blends nicely with the roses and jasmine. For the first little while this scent is lovely, floral and feminine but then it changes and goes all soapy/baby powdery on me.

Conclusion: In the bottle I love the smell of this one and love the smell when it is first applied but unfortuantly this one doesn't like my skin chemestry. This is the first scent that has gone like this on me and I am dissapointed. I do like this scent in the bottle though and so I will keep it and wear it in a scent locket.

Rating: 2.5/5

Would buy? No would be a waste of money when it goes to soap on my skin.

The rose and the jasmine in the scent description worry me, but we'll give this a whirl. It's mostly jasmine on me, but some of the other florals are making it less vile than jasmine usually is on me. I do get a lot of amber and rose as well. Still not loving it, but I might give it another test before making a final decision.

imp: jasmine, magnolia and hint of sweetness

wet: jasmine immediately turning sour :D

dry: sweet, fresh floral

I think this might be one of the few blends with jasmine that I can pull off - the threat of sour subsided during the drydown, and just sort of teeters on the edge instead. I'm left with a beautiful, fresh floral...there is a wonderful sweet note here, not sure if that's the amber maybe or orchid or rose?

Sadly, after 30 minutes the jasmine has its way and brings a sour funk that ruins Black Dahlia for me. :P

I would really like to know what gives this its precious honey-like sweetness, as that is my favorite part.

Edited by maribouquet

once again, my skin amps the jasmine and ruins a scent for me :/ i can smell the magnolia and orchid in the background and a bit of amber. the rose is elusive though. but the jasmine is the strongest note and it takes over everythign else. off to swaps with this one.