Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Black Dahlia

Voluptuous magnolias strewn over orchid, star jasmine, black amber and smoky rose.

Jasmine and Magnolia in the vial and on my skin. Sadly my chemistry amped up the floral and nothing else really came out in this. It's a pretty scent, but nothing spectacular on me and I envy those that it worked well on. Ah well, can't win them all. Off to swaps with ye!

Oh my Goodness...I don't usually like such strong florals but this one is a keeper!

A dab on each wrist and my neck and WHAM! I was hit by wafts of beautiful magnolias and heady jasmine peeking through. It is giving me the colors of chilly white and deep indigo.

If Beth had taken the biggest and finest of jasmine buds, magnolia blooms, and beckoning orchids, chopped them all up atop a bed of crystalized amber, swiped the wet petals with the amber resin and stuffed them fresh and bittersweet into a bottle, this would be it!

The florals are les sharp and leaning towards the sweet side now, but not cloying or headache inducing at all. I can't stop smelling myself!

The petals swirl around me in a haze, sophisticated yet soft, this scent stays true and strong, but sweetens up nicely toward the end. I detect the amber, and what smells like a hint of musk emerging, though not powdering up on my skin.

Mmmm...warm, sweet and lush, the image of peeking over a fence into a balmy rainforest and catching a faceful of exotic blooms....I want more!

This one has staying power on me! I think it would be perfect for an all nighter in a slinky dark dress. Viva la Woman!

:P

i never thought i'd appreciate a scent this floral before. the smell of jasmine has really grown on me, i'm sure, because i don't cringe with disgust every time i smell an oil with it.

jasmine immediately jumps out at me, and that's all i can smell for the first few minutes. eventually, i can smell the rose and magnolia (in that order :P), and this is heady and gorgeous. i don't know how often i'll wear it as it isn't particularly a "me" scent, but i still like it.

Strong florals! I really only smelled jasmine and magnolia in this blend. Black Dahlia smells true to real flowers -- there is nothing artificial about how this smells. I was hoping to wear this as an orchid scent, but overall it is bright white floral, not sweet.

ETA: I've given this to my mom, and she loves it. She tends to wear floral scents with a bit of powder in them.

Edited by tart

Well, this is my very first review, so here goes...

Am I the only one who can smell cherry in this?!

Having said that, I love cherry so that's a bonus! I can only smell it while wet and for the first hour. After that it settles down but it's a strong one, no doubt about that. It lasts well on my skin and there's a sort of spiciness to it that I really like. I will have to practise on my nose to be able to detect all the sorts of things you BPAL veterans can, but for now, let's just say I really like this, and I wasn't expecting to, and now I think I may be hooked...

Got this as a freebie from the Lab in my last order. :D

First sniff:

An almost soapy smelling floral. I'm no good at picking out flower notes, so that's all I can really say about what exactly it is I'm smelling. Occasionally I get a whiff of am almost smoky smelling floral, which I'm guessing must be the rose.

Wet on skin:

The soapy smell has disappeared and I'm left with something that smells almost like lilacs now. It's a very pretty soft floral scent that I actually quite like in spite of my dislike of floral perfumes. For some reason, this makes me feel like a little girl playing dress up in her mommy's clothes. :D

Dry down:

Now Black Dahlia reminds me of Has No Hanna for some reason. I'm thinking there's some common notes between the two. I can smell florals and something else that I can't place that smells almost like myrrh. It's also become smokier now that it's dried down and it feels much more grown up. Unfortunately, it's also making my nose burn and itch. I think I'm allergic to something in this blend. :D

The bottom line:

Pretty, to be sure, but it doesn't look like I can wear it witout having my nose burn from smelling it. Off to swaps with it. :P

At first, this is soft, dark and powdery. It’s a bit orchid-like, yet I don’t seem to smell orchids. This is dark, not because it has any dark, sinister notes, but because it’s wistful, like the hint of a memory. If someone walks by you wearing this scent, it won’t be something you recognize, but you’ll be haunted by the wisps of it. You’ll keep on trying to get a firm grasp on it, but it constantly eludes you. Velvety petals (not waxy) as someone said, is the perfect way to describe this. That haunted floral notes are the magnolias (just checked the description), with a heavy helping of jasmine. This scent really just makes me think of that black and white photo of the Black Dahlia—not quite glamorous, but definitely intriguing and elusive. After an hour, this gets stronger—maybe the magnolias?—and is more solid and less fleeting. In the second hour, this no longer is a can’t-grasp-barely-there scent. It’s reached the stage where it’s not quite there, because it’s getting sucked into oblivion by my skin. That stage, as Black Dahlia, has a sort of blurred sharp note. It’s as if everything has been sucked into my skin, leaving only the slightly dry, powdery essence. I’ll update if there are any changes.

ETA: After the fourth hour, this is dry, slightly medicinal, powdered flowers (not so pleasant) with a hint of ginger.

Edited by malanna

When I put the oil onto my skin, I noted the lovely floral bouquet that came forth. It was actually a little strong.

The scent smells like Hell's Belle, which is probably due to the lovely magnolia note, but in comparison, Black Dahlia seems more "grown-up." It doesn't have the same sweetness that the Belle has. I'm thinking the "adult" note in Black Dahlia would be the rose, but I'm just guessing.

I really like this scent, and I wonder if my imp was mingled in with some other imps I gave away at work. Eep! Ah well, between the two magnolia scents I've tried, I think Hell's Belle came out on top, but I would've liked to keep the imp of Black Dahlia around. If I did give it away, I would like to get my hands on another. I'm not only a fan of magnolia, but also of jasmine. If I don't wind up buying a bigger bottle of this for myself, I may buy it for my mother.

-doreen

Black Dahlia is just a gorgeous very adult scent. The magnolias are right and the top, and the jasmine is right there with it. The black amber is behind them both, and after wearing for a while the smokey rose shows itself. I really love this as a night time scent.

Oh...my...god...jasmine, orchid and amber! I adore this! It's beautiiful and sweet and very hyponotic. It's the most beautiful girl you've ever seen walking through a tall field of flowers on a warm spring day in a sun dress. Mmmm.

Reminds me of Sacred Whore of Babylon a little bit. Sacred Whore of Hollywood Babylon?

I could see Elizabeth Short wearing this. Mysterious, alluring, yet doomed.

More to come as this scent awakens on my wrist. I hope it doesn't give me a disturbing scent story like Peversion did. Tragic murder and all.

I should be happy it doesn't smell of grass, dead body and extreme violence coupled with extreme sadness. Probably not a good oil before going to bed, like I am doing.

Smelling it some more, it reminds me of the Night Elf oil, Morbid Mistress.

Edited by Madame Nyx

Black Dahlia is standard magnolia floral in the vial.

On me, it stings going on (which means rose), and I get a red welt where I've put it on my hand (another indicator of rose). After it's dried down, the magnolia is extremely strong on top, but down below, I smell the sweetness of the orchid and the smoke and spice of the rose. It's a little powdery from the amber, but not as bad as usual. However, to smell all of this, you have to smell through the magnolia which is a pretty difficult thing to do.

The rose is the same rose from Formula 54, and all in all, this reminds me of Sacred Whore of Babylon, without the kick of spice. Not bad, but the rose reaction troubles me and I probably will swap it out.

Can a floral be described as very floral? I dunno, this just seems like the most floral floral that I've tried to date, if that makes any sense?

I get very pretty strong magnolias and rose, and a hint of jasmine which sort of warms it up, and they on top of all that I get a strong amber which sort of solidifies all the flowers and makes them UBER strong, super flowers. This scent is not soft on me at all, it is very very hard. I guess, mainly, it reminds of a harder version of blood countess, which I guess would be due to the rose.

all in all not my cuppa, but good for someone who likes their florals hardcore.

ETA this has grown on me, and I'm quite fond of it now. Would be nice for a balmy summer night and an outdoor dinner

Edited by Lucretia

In the bottle: Strong floral with a darker edge. It kinda has a sickly sweet medicine scent to it.I can't pick out any of the notes.

Wet: Jasmine right now with the orchid in the background. Something is making it kinda dark, and I don't know if it's the amber or the smoky rose. It's a...twisted kind of jasmine scent. Not like the freshness of Ave Marie.

Dry down: Now the magnolias are coming out and something is making this scent stick in the back of my throat in a slightly unpleasant way. This scent is just...heavy and kinda cloying and there's this sense under it of something being very wrong. It's mostly magnolia now with a little touch of jasmine. I'm not good at picking out amber but something in this smells very heavy. Magnolia can be a heavy scent so it might just be that. Now the rose is coming out. This cannot seem to decide who to let out in front.

Dry: Hmmm...I don't know. It's a very thick, heavy kind of floral. And it distrubs me. So I don't really like it, but I also don't hate it. The scents in it are all ones I like in other blends but together they're just too thick for me. they stick in my throat and make my head spin.

This was a gift imp from the lab.

Jasmine, heavy and sweet in the imp.

On, it is a heavy floral. I don't love florals, but this smells very heady. In small amounts I actually like this, but I must apply it lightly. I will most likely swap this though, as I don't wear florals, they just aren't me. :P

Rose and jasmine pop out right away. There's something sweeter, too, but I'm not sure if it's the orchid or the magnolia. It's very nice, and it quiets the jasmine. The amber remains in the background, anchoring the florals.

I love florals, so I was pretty sure I was going to like this.

It is really beautiful and sultry! (I can't believe that I can describe a scent as sultry, but it really is!) You can almost feel the heat of a summer's day when you wear this. It makes me feel really feminine and sexy. It's not for the faint of heart, though, as it is a VERY strong floral. I can really smell that jasmine.

Fantastic!

In the bottle it smelled of a gorgeous boquet of springtime flowers, like one you would have as a centerpiece on a huge dining table. Fresh & very floral.

Wet, the floral notes decided to distinguish themselves. Magnolia jumps to the forefront, followed by jasmine. I can detect a tiny bit of rose.

After drydown, about 4 hours later, I can only smell magnilia, orchid and jasmine. No rose, and barely any amber. It's also faded to where I slathered myself with it, and now I have to search for the scent when I sniff myself.

Unfortunately, this one goes to swap. It's a gorgeous scent, and I was debating on keeping it to use the imp, but I have too many scents I "like but not love" and I know I won't use it. Better off with someone it will love.

In the bottle: a sharp floral, magnolia jasmine rose - you can pick out all of them with a long slow sniff.

Wet: it's still a very sharpish floral as it hits the skin; orchid rises, tugged aside by jasmine, and it smells like the magnoilia is going to be the strongest element soon. the jasmine and magnolia overall in combination gives it a slightly soapy taste on me- i don't do terribly well with jasmines. i'm not good at finding amber, it's also possible it doesn't come out on me {unless it's a major note and then it smells like something's burned up}, so though i'm wondering how it's flavoring this i can't say i'm finding it or that amber sends the overall scent any particular way.

Drying: i keep sniffing, it's amazing to me that in this one you can pick up each flower, nothing seems to be lost. it's heavy, and lovely in that way- strong full floral scents that aren't wimpy at all, or generic. backing away for a lighter kind of sniff - it's a deep and complex floral, white and pale greens. if you sniff for jasmine you'll find it, sniff for rose and you'll find it, sniff for magnoilia, etc; this is probably a fabulously morphing scent per individual, two people could wear it and depending on what notes their skin pushes to the fore, *and* what they recognize or expect to smell would report totally different effects on one another and themselves.

speaking of scents that play tricks... my right wrist smells different from my left. o_O it's sweeter on the left, orchid and rose. on the right it's tangier, more jasmine.

wet this is all jasmin and i am no jasmine fan, i have learned i do like some of beth's floral blends, but jasmine has yet to win me over

as it dries the metal edge of jasmine tames a bit and amber is starting to shine, i smell a bit of orchid, i am hoping rose eventually shows up, i wanted this one partly because of teh short case, a partly because i am trying to try all the blends, i am glad i tried this, it is dark, sweet, and almost overpoweringly floral, but the amber keeps it from going over the top, this is one w/ a strong throw, but the smell on my skin is different then the smell wafting around me, nice

In the bottle this smells mostly of magnolia to me -- that dusky velvet white scent. On me it makes me think of night-blooming flowers, of glamour, of the stories of the Black Dahlia. I like that this is a dark floral and most of the flower notes stay true for the first few hours, although I wish the amber was more prominent. After many hours, this sweetens on me and reminds me almost of that perfume called Poison, but much wispier. Kali reminded me of Poison too, but was much much too strong for me. I'll keep the imp and use it for those occasions when a "traditional" adult floral perfume is appropriate, but I probably wouldn't get a larger bottle.

This starts out as flowery and turns into FLOWERY. Bah. My skin chemistry and floral notes usually don't like each other. That is certainly true with this blend. Off to swap!

in the bottle: FLORAL. jasmine was predominant, then the magnolia. i could not really perceive any of the other notes.

wet: the same, only stronger, if that is possible.

it gave me a headache. it smelled like extremely floral soap. i had to take it off. and it did not WANT to be washed off.

sigh. i had such high hopes. :P

i feel like the red queen: OFF with your head!!! (and off to the swap pile we go!)

Floral, but not the soft, gentle floral of rose and carnation. No this is volumptous, showy floral. The magnolia is front and center here and you can't miss her.

As it dries I get whispers of the rose, amber and possibly the orchid too. A bit too much of a loud floral for me; I seem to prefer loud resins and spices with soft florals mixed in. I still can't decide if I want to hang on to my big bottle or not. I like it, but it's not something I would wear often.

Dry - okay about a half hour into this, and I love it. The magnolias have calmed down, and it's a smoky floral. Not too strong, not too light, absolutely perfect. Looks like I am going to be hanging on to my big bottle of this one.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5 (with 5 being the best) this rates a 4.

Hmm.

First response: generic perfume, get it away!

5 min later: Ok, this is nicer. Still perfume-y. Mostly magnolia now. Am wondering where the amber is. Heeeeeeeeeere amberamberamber.... nope, won't come when called.

Later: Nicer, but still has that floral-so-strong-becomes-soap note.

Not me. Off to the swap pile.