Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Tisiphone

Oleander with black patchouli, ylang ylang, and neroli.

Stronger in vial but surprisingly gentle and floral when wet on skin, a nice floral/evening primrose-type note is what comes out most at me initially. A beautiful soapiness that Fyrinnae often attempts but gets disasterously wrong. BPAL truly has a gift for the melding of fragrances. This is perhaps a tad too gentle for me, I’d prefer something more long-lasting but it is lovely and soothing. Edited by Shollin

I hope I will never have to avenge a murder. Anyhoo...

Imp: Black patchouli is the strongest note :P

Wet: Hmm the florals start to warm up alot...

Dry: I'm not sure what oleander smells like, having never tried a blend with it before, but the general impression of it and the other florals is warm, heady, intoxicating blooms of pale colours.

Having just googled oleander, I discovered by reading wikipedia that "Oleander is one of the most poisonous plants and contains numerous toxic compounds"... No wonder this was included in an avenger blend.

I really like this scent, my only complaint is that the patchouli is now very faint, and I love me a gritty patchouli. :D

Edited by Browneyes

As far as I know, they don't have any notes in common, but Tisiphone smells like a darker version of Euterpe or a more feminine Azathoth. Either my nose is still untrained or it's how they react to my skin chemistry. Either way, Tisiphone's gorgeous. Part floral, part masculine cologne, all good. I'll definitely put her on my wishlist.

In the imp:

Sweet and musky.

Wet:

Mostly patchouli initially, but quickly fades down to something that is mostly neroli (well, it smells fruity anyway) with a musky scent underneath. This blends quickly into a clean floral that still holds hints of the patchouli I smelled when I first put it on.

Dry:

This has dried down into a mostly-patchouli scent on me, with undertones of clean florals. This one went back and forth a few times as it dried down on me. In the end, it's definitely at least worth another wear.

I received an imp of this and in the imp it was a very light fragrance with floral undertones. I thought it would be very strong because it is very dark gold in color. On, the patchouli really makes it's power known right away with a strong slap of the oleander thrown right at you. We have oleander lining our yard on the neighbor's side of the fence, and there is no mistaking that smell. It is a sickeningly sweet smell when it is in full bloom and when the sticky sap drips on my plants, it kills everything on my side on the fence. I like this scent after about the first half hour, it is the first half hour I am not wild about, but I think that is because it lines my fence. If I could just bypass that initial phase, I would love it.

Thank you for this, shackjj! :P

In the bottle: Meh. Not too interesting. Tickles my nose a little, though.

Wet on skin: Meh. Floral-y florals . . .

Dry on skin: Powdery and metallic and still not too interesting . . . This is making me a little dizzy.

Conclusion: Not a bad scent, but not worth the headache. But since all of the notes listed hate me (and I hate them right back), this could have been way worse.

Frimpage from the Lab. Not one I would have thought to try myself, but frimps never go untried in my house. :P

This one is mostly patchouli on me, but sweeter. It's not floral, but it's lighter and more feminine than straight patchouli. Quite incensey- I do love incensey scents; they go well on this very Taurean chick.

Excellent staying power- still going strong after 6 hours plus. Not a huge amount of throw, but I wouldn't want a scent of this character throwing too far anyway.

I like this. It's probably the best patchouli I've tried so far. I'll probably spring for a 5ml.

I was totally expecting some avenging scent, not a lovely warm blend of neroli and ylang-ylang with a bit of honey. It reminds me of Bengal or Thaleia, with a faintly dark edge--probably the patchouli. Nothing like an unexpected frimp!

In the bottle: Incense

On Me: very soapy. I thought maybe this could work on me, but I guess not. I don't think ylang ylang and I get along. I'm disappointed. I was hoping for something really great with this one.

Bottle: the ylang ylang smells like honey, and the oleander is big and floral

Wet: ylang ylang and oleander, I don’t smell patchouli at all, the neroli adds to the overall sweet floral

Dry: sweet floral, now a hint of incense from the patchouli

This is a really nice blend, the drydown is a nice contrast to the mostly floral wet stage.

I was prepared to dislike this one because of the ylang ylang, and when wet it is its funky self. On the drydown though this smooths out and loses its cloying edge. It's a bit like Hell's Belle sans spice (not too surprising with the oleander and neroli in there) and seems more floral than patchouli-based to me. I think I'll enjoy wearing this.

Very, very incensy on my skin, with a slight high, white floral edge that I thought might be jasmine (my note of DOOOOM) but is likely to be Ylang yland (my second note of dooooooom). The patchouli incense is sweet and lasting, but the note of doom means this one goes in the swaps box.

This is a lovely, powdery, musky floral on me. I am not sensing any patchouli whatsoever, and strangely, the combination of neroli and ylang ylang smells like violet to me.

It's really pretty, I'll hang on to the imp for sure. Not big-bottle need for me, because it reminds me of stuff that I already have.

4.2 out of 5

Edit to add: Dang it, I already reviewed this!! Well, this is my second try with a different imp which may be more/less aged than my first imp. This time around, it smells like soapy, floral incense. The patchouli is not dominant, but I can sense it in the way that it deepens the florals into smelling incensey. I don't smell violet at all this time around; rather, just soapy dominating floral (oleander?) with the faintest hint of fresh neroli and creamy ylang-ylang. Not that excited about this; I would give it a 3.2 out of 5 the second time around.

Edited by AEris

Sniffed in imp: Sweet, dusty incense. Hints of heady ylang ylang and citrusy-fresh neroli.

Frimp with my clocket order!

Imp: Very wet, dark scent with promise of florals.

Wet: Oh yes, that is very much oleander and neroli.

Drydown: It's kind of musky floral. Not a terribly heavy or brooding scent, but a very solid one. You might like this one if you like The Raven, Darkness, Midnight, or other similar scents. This one is very much like a lighter version of those.

Not terribly outstanding, but will keep and wear.

I wanted to get this because it reminded me of a character of mine so -- onto the wishlist it went. And lo, the lab being psychic sent this to me as a frimp!

In the imp: FLORAL with something dusty and animalistic underneath but still FLORAL.

Wet: Still FLORAL though for a second... slightly more animalistic. It smells like a black cat that's just taken a roll in some sort of flower with a somewhat caustic scent. Mind you -- some floral scents I don't mind but here... hoo boy oh boy.

Dry: Dark, but any sweetness in the scent is gone and all that is there is just the bite. It's like that cute kitty that smelled of flowers that you just picked up has extended all its claws, grabbed onto your arm, and then bitten a chunk out of your palm.

While I like the almost fur-like undertones, the biting, caustic floral is what keeps this from being a me scent, or what the character I thought it would remind me of scent. Bleh. It's not... bad smelling. Just way too overpowering and sharp for me to wear on myself. Oh well. The perfect floral is out there... somewhere.... waiting for me.

3.3 out of 5 viciously biting cats.

This one is gonna go off to the swaps I'm thinkin'.

oh. my. god.

this is one of those rare oils that i'm just. i love it so much i can hardly even talk about it. just an eyes-rolling-back-into-your-head divine experience. :P

at first, it is very incensy, very warm and musky and beautiful. there is also a hint of something almost juicy here. ten minutes on my skin and it is joined/softened by a sweet, powdery floral, turning it into something that i want to say reminds me sooo much of thanatos. (it has been some time since i've worn that particular oil so i could have the notes all wrong, but tisiphone is giving me that same sexy, sleepy feeling that thanatos always does.)

it's strong with a pretty heavy throw, i think - like being wrapped up in a dark, sexy cloud all around you - and it has made me sneeze once or twice from breathing it in so much. :D i can also detect something in there that smells almost soap-like, a clean, soapy smell? overall, though, this is such a gorgeous, spicy, powdery floral and omg askjdhkajsdhsklf I LOVE IT. :D

ETA the next day: Alas. I think it may be the patchouli that disagrees with me; after a few hours' wear this turns into a patchouli-only scent, and - although I really do like the scent of patchouli, I simply can't take the scent of patchouli on ME - so I think I must regrettably and forlornly break up with Tisiphone. :)

Although I suppose I could attempt just applying it to my hair and/or clothing to see if that will help keep the patchouli tied up and under control (heh heh), so there is hope yet! Otherwise, swaps it is. Boo.

Edited by undream

Wow. The minute I uncorked the little imp, it smelled like the Lush store. It was a heady floral, with distinctive patchouli. It's strong, powerful and in your face. And yet, womanly.

I wouldn't want to cross a woman that smelled like this.

ADDED Dec. 30:

Oh man, this was a dark floral that ended up in as a dirty hippie. Damn patchouli. GRR.

In the bottle: Mostly ylang ylang, with a bite I don't recognize.

Wet: Neroli immediately, with something thicker I sense at the back of my palate. This is heavy and strong.

Twenty minutes: Wow, floral! But there's a bitterness, a tang on my tongue, almost an astringency. This one has a lot of throw, too. That may be the ylang ylang, which often amps on me (like what it does in "Phantom").

One hour: Not so much throw now, but still intensely floral with a bitter tang. It's really kind of interesting, although I'm not sure it's for me.

Three and a half hours: Oooh, it's picked up a different fragrance now, almost honey-like. It reminds me a bit of the way "Hetairae" smells on me. That tang has settled out, and I like it better.

Not a bad floral, warm and yeah a bit soapy now that a few mentioned it, makes me sneeze a little! I was wondering which of these new imps was doing that. I don't really smell the patchouli but my nose is such a novice. It's well balanced but a bit too subtle and floral for me. I'll probably use up the imp though :P