Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Tisiphone

Oleander with black patchouli, ylang ylang, and neroli.

Avenger of Murder? Well, I certainly don't have to do that, but I'm going to give this one a try anyway. Perhaps it will serve just as well as The Avenger Of The 8 AM Math Class! Dooooom.... This was a Lab frimp (they seem to like giving me stuff with neroli), and the last oil out of my recent order.

In the imp: Dry, dark, and a bitter kind of spicy. I can't pick out individual notes yet.

Wet on skin: The patchouli in there is more distinct, but not overwhelming by any means. It is, however, smoothing out that bitter edge. Nothing about this smells like flowers yet.

Drydown: Freshly dry, this is already much stronger than wet. The patchouli is a major player, and the bitterness has largely gone away. There is something floral (couldn't tell you which flower) in there that makes this smell kind of like the bathroom cabinet where my mom keeps her makeup (and soap and some towels). After about an hour, it has settled at dark malevolent patchouli soap.

Five hours later: The soapiness has left, and the other notes have blended pretty seamlessly into something that's pretty dark and threatening. It doesn't strike me as particularly floral, nor is it obviously a patchouli blend anymore.

End of the day: A little bit of dark and dusty.

Overall: I am not enamored of smelling like malevolent soap (even though I enjoy getting to use the phrase "malevolent soap"), but I think the darker brooding scent that comes after about two hours and lasts through five or six is good for when one is having one of those, "Don't mess with me!" kinds of days. Definitely dangerous. I just wish I didn't have to wade through a ton of soap to get to the end result of the scent. Guess it's a good thing that I don't have many of those dangerous mood kinds of days!

Wet, this is FLORALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL with patchouli in the background.

Dry, the ylang ylang and the oleander have murdered the other notes. Perhaps this is why Tisiphone is an appropriate name for this blend? They are seriously GONE. It makes me sad. All that's left is powdery sweet floral UGH.

In bottle/imp: An earthy but smooth fruity floral scent.

Immediately on skin: As soon as this is on my skin, it becomes rather sour. This scent is floral with a smooth earthy feel to it, and a bit of fruitiness from the neroli. The sourness seems to be hanging around the oleander… it’s almost a pine or herbal type of scent.

After a little while: Well, that sourness went away after just a few minutes. Now this is a very cool floral scent with a lot of smooth earthiness from the patchouli/ylang ylang combo and a hint of fruitiness from the neroli. This isn’t really a sweet scent, which gives it a crispness.

Overall Impressions: This blend isn’t really for me. I tend to like sweeter scents, and this has a bit of florals and a hint of fruitiness, but not really any sweetness. It does have a nice earthiness from the patchouli and ylang ylang however. This is a very smooth, well blended scent. People who like earthier floral blends may like this one.

I'm getting mostly neroli and flowers from this, grounded by patchouli that makes this rather dark and mysterious for a fruity floral. It's ok although the oleander's making it lean towards the soap category on me.

One of my frimps!

Smell alike: It reminds me the feeling you have when walking on damp forests soils.

Color impression: Dark misty green

On me: Irkkk _o_ I don’t like it and I think it’s reciprocal: Patchouli Vade Retro !!! Actually, I had nice expectations for this one (I love Ylang-ylang) but it ended all soapy patchouli on my skin.

Wearing: Smelled in the imp, it’s a fragrance light enough for everyday wear (even if shadowy sexy). But not for me thanks ^^;

wet: interesting. i might like it. i can pick out patchouli and ylang ylang.

dry: wow. not what i expected. sort of. ylang ylang is turning foul and it's all meshing together to form: baby powder. yuck.

In the vial: Red juicy resin, like a soapy Hells Bell or Unheavenly City.

Wet: soap, subtle ginger, magnolia, soap.

Drydown: I think it's the Oleander that is making me think of soap, it is settling to a white floral. I still think this smells like Unheavenly City, but with spices. This isn't a blend I would have sought out based on the description, but it is appealing. The white floral is classy and feminine. For someone who wears white florals, this could be nice.

in the vial it comes off floral and spicey with a deep darkish scent to it.

applied, reminds me of my grandmothers maja - which isnt a bad thing, its comforting.

overall i like this scent, it has a musk to it but balanced equally with a powdery floral. i probably will keep the imp but it was a good scent to try. ;)

Imp: very heavy. Neroli and Oleander which I have not

smelled since the Miami Years.

Wet on Me: Mostly the flowers and not the patchouli so far.

Just the Oleander and Neroli with the YlangYlang wanting to play along

Drying Down: Still heavy flowers. It smells like old heavy flowers.

Dry: flowery powder. Or powdery flowers…to re-home

In bottle: patchouli is very strong in this one, I think because of it’s interaction with the neroli. Wet: The florals strengthen to coequal with the patchouli. This is very much a hippy chick blend. The Oleander is surprisingly strong.. Dry: It smells of head shop. Sooooo much patchouli.

Is that neroli I smell first? Nice floral! It's got a little bit of suntan lotion overtone.

In Bottle - Strong ylang-ylang.

Wet on Skin, First Applied - Hm, mostly definitely ylang-ylang. I'm not very sure I care for it, but it's definitely not bad. Hmm, again. I have no idea what oleander smells like, but I don't get much of anything outside of ylang-ylang.

Dry, on Skin - Hmm, smells mostly like ylang-ylang against a subtle background of light patchouli. Oddly enough, it smells like a soda I'd enjoy drinking. Is it just me? It is a little heavy. Inoffensive, but I'm just sort of bored of it after about an hour, haha.

I got a free imp of this from a forum member today.

In the bottle: Sweet and floral, yet... brooding.

Wet, on skin: Dark, dark florals! Like being in a flower garden at midnight when the flowers are mostly closed, but you can still smell them.

Dry, on skin: Creamy and brooding - can still smell the flowers, but they are starting to fade into the darker scent that I can't quite place.

Hours later: Either I have gotten used to the smell - it happens - or it does not carry very far, I can only smell it when I hold my wrist to my nose. Pity I don't have somebody else I can ask. The smell has gotten sharper and ever so slightly more dangerous.

I LOVE it. Hmmm... depending on what other imps that I have coming in do, this may be a bottle scent. It is LOVELY.

In the imp: Strange. Sort of reminds me of a classic perfume you find at atique stores that's been sitting around for a long time.

Wet: Hmm...I really can't pick out one note. This really has a "classic" feel to it (without smelling like old people). The neroli is tame...probably because of the patchouli.

Dry: Oleander is a white flower, isn't it? Yup, that's what's making it's presence known right about now. It's not awful, I was just enjoying the scent without it.

This has a powdery feel to it, still very classic, heady, good throw...romantic and refined smelling.

Overall: I can appreciate this one but it's not for me. This is really pretty but it's something I see an older, more refined woman wearing (which definitely isn't me!)

Edited by Monster

This is very incense-y on me. Which I don't mind at all!

Under that incense, though, I get the jasmine and ylang-ylang, just underneath - sort of a hint of it that might not make it wafting past someone, but certainly comes out up close. ;)

Tisiphone has decent throw on me. It's a pretty serious scent, and might be better suited for the fall on me. It's a little "heavy" for the middle of summer!

This one is kind of hard to describe..like preserved flowers or something. Kind of citrusy (might be the neroli?), with ylang ylang and a tiny tiny drop of Jasmine. The patchouli is beautiful in this blend but gradually disappears on my skin.

Inside the imp, sweet floral.

Wet on my skin, I immediately pick up the neroli and ylang ylang. As it begins to dry, becomes more resinous and I pick up the patchouli note.

Lovely scent.

Imp: Patchouli and ylang ylang.

Wet: Yep. Black patchouli. I really like black patchouli--it has this odd creaminess to it that melds so well with floral notes. I get some of the oleander but not much. Definitely getting that dusty neroli vibe.

Dry: Wow. This is awesome. Perfect, creamy patchouli with a heady mix of neroli and oleander overtop. Very lovely. I don't quite know what I was expecting but I was not expecting something this bright. A touch woodsy and resinous. Blends really, really well with the floral.

Throw: Moderate.

Overall: I really like this. It reminds me a lot of Urd due to the black patchouli and for a while there I actually thought Tisiphone was one of the Norns. Lovely, sultry perfume and a wonderful black patchouli.

Edited by paperrose

I was a little afraid of the florals here, but this contains the smell of the bitter sap of oleander as well as the vaguely vanilla+lily-like odor of the flowers, which keeps it from being overpoweringly sweet. However, within the first fifteen minutes, the ylang ylang amps up to pretty much take over the whole scent -- this usually happens to me. The patchouli I was waiting for never showed up.

This reminds me very much of I Died for Beauty. I'm going to put it away and hope the patchouli ages into more prominence -- this scent would be just lovely if it were only a little more grounded. Damn that ylang ylang.

Yup, ylang ylang still hates me. I go through these phases where I think "Hey! This note has never worked on me ever, but let's try everything just in case!" and then I try something I KNOW is full of fail and get surprised when I don't like it. This would be the case here. Ylang ylang amps to headache inducing proportions, and the oleander goes a little soapy. Not for me.

I can smell all of the notes from start to finish, though the overall impression is that of orange blossom honey. Not what I was expecting, but I like it - a LOT! :D

In the imp: Patchouli, that's good. And, oh dear... I sense ylang-ylang... that's bad news.

Wet: Somewhat creamy, somewhat sweet, rather clean floral soap, with a nauseating edge. I can't decide if it's sweet or sour, powdery or sweaty. Perhaps it's a bit of all of the above. I think oleander and ylang-ylang are coming through strongest. The throw on this is pretty serious.

Dry: I can smell the patchouli at the base of this, but it's obscured by flowers gone wrong. When this dries down a bit, the impression of soap turns to pure baby powder. Really strong, clouds of choking baby powder. It's starting to give me a headache, and I'll have to wash it off before I find out how well it lasts, or if it morphs to something nicer.

Overall: When it's wet, it smells like someone really dirty and sweaty desperately lathering up. When it's dry, it's cloying baby powder. Not a good match for me, but then, ylang-ylang never is.

lab fresh imp. someone gave me this thinking it would work better on my skin than on theirs (i'm guessing that it means that neither of us knew about the florals since i amp them into oblivion).

in the imp: spiced white florals. not really all that strong though.

wet: ...nothing? this is odd. wait now i'm getting a whiff of floral.

dry: orange blossom with a touch of something else. just a hint of other florals and the patch.

i actually really like this. this is the first floral that didn't send either me or my boy into a frenzy. it's really light on me though. it's going to get used but probably not replaced unless i end up with another frimp.

i definitely smell patchouli and something floral...this one is very sexy, dark and elegant. love it! :wub2:

In the imp: Sweet florals, a bit of neroli and a faint, faint, faint hint of woody incense patchouli. Definitely like the faintness of the patchouli.

Wet: Sweet, powdery, feminine. A clear, bright, scent. A bit of plastic, a bit like cinnamon sometimes smells, yet this doesn't bother me as much. It's a faint plastic smell. I really know what oleander smelled like until I tried this, and I like it.

Dry: Ugh, the patchouli came out.

Overall: I would love this if it didn't have patchouli. In the imp and wet, it smells lovely, powdery and feminine, with a slight touch of patchouli. On the dry down, the patchouli eats everything up, as it usually does. Alas, not for me.