Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
allamanda

Voodoo

A midnight scent, evoking images of flickering golden firelight reflecting off the sheen of glistening skin and the jerking shadows of bodies suffused with spiritual ecstasy. A deep, powerful, resonant blend of myrrh, patchouli, vetiver, lime, vanilla, pine, almond and clove.

It's times like these I wish I had some of the single notes at my disposal, because there are a few I have a hard time picking out.

I adore Voodoo. The almond and vanilla hit me upfront, and it reminds me a lot of Black Phoenix. I think it's the patchouli, vetiver and myrrh that darken this scent, and cut the sweetness I get with Black Phoenix. It's blended so beautifully that most of the notes really merge, and it's so hard to pick out the lime, pine and clove for me, but I can tell they're there.

My skin eats it up fast, so I'm wearing it in a locket, which is keeping me very happy. Every time I dip my head, I get a whiff.

Voodoo is in my top ten. :P

Huh. This should have been perfect. I am a myrrh fanatic, resins love my skin like nothing else, and I am never happier than when I smell like incense. I even do great with vetiver. The only note in this that made me go HMMM was the almond, but even that only tends to go overly sweet sort of Jergens-y.

But somehow, put all together, in this exact configuration? Every note that I love so much combines to make a stinky morass that smells like third-day socks. Every time I think I know my notes well enough I get cocky, Beth learns me! :P I guess it goes to show you never can count anything out necessarily -- though I do have 'death notes', and now I know you can't ever count anything as a sure thing.

I was JUST coming over here to say the same thing. In the bottle it smells EXACTLY like Coca Cola to me. On, it still smells slightly of cola but also a little woody. Overall, a surprising scent. Not at all what I expected it to smell like.

4/5

A frimp from the lab...

Wow, this one is complex. My first impression is "campfires!". Yummy, yummy, somehow edible (?) campfire smoke with almond, vanilla, and deeper, darker things lurking.

As it dries, the sweeter vanilla is coming out more, and must be the vetiver/myrrh is still grounding it. I think the almond went bye-bye.

I like this one though! What an interesting scent! I'll definitely keep it around for days I'm feeling "mysterious" because that's the vibe I get.

Oooo, even without knowing the ingredients (I got this as a free imp in one of my previous orders), I knew there was vanilla in there! I'm starting to really love the scents with vanilla in them because it's such a sweet, pleasant note. Definitely the smell of vanilla here with some sharp spices on the top. Usually spicy scents face away pretty quickly on me, but I could still smell these pretty well when I sniff my wrists hours after applying (the vanilla scent is most prominent by then, though). My only issue with it is that I think there's something in it that I must be allergic to, because I keep having sneezing fits after I sniff it for too long! :P Otherwise, great!

Rating: 9/10

imp: as usual, when here's vetiver in a blend it's all i can smell when i give it a sniff.

wet: myrrh and clove smoldering along with the vetiver. this is quite intense but not really my sort of scent./ i think this would smell wonderful on my husband though.

dry: very rich, deep, smoky myrrh and clove and something almost lethally sweet underneath. very brooding.

Expectations: Nutty, spicy lime with a bit of headache-inducing incense.

In vial: Trapped in a forest of pine trees with nothing to eat but a bag of almonds.

On skin, wet: Eating vanilla ice cream with lime syrup while my cheek is pressed against a floor freshly cleaned with Pine-Sol. The Pine-Sol has a lot of throw.

On skin, dry: Pine and the incensey notes have balanced each other out. If I sniff hard, I get a bit of the vanilla and almond, but the lime ran away with the clove.

After time: After 30 minutes, all trace of vanilla was gone and instead of Pine-Sol I smelled like Comet. I'm not sure whether this is an improvement or not. Nearly an hour after application, it's still Comet but is being increasingly diluted by baby powder.

Conclusion: I can't say that I absolutely hate it (I'd reserve that for anything that gives me a headache, makes me sneeze, etc.), but yuck. I smell like a hotel maid. I'm off to scrub my wrists raw in hopes of being able to test a better scent.

Edit: When I started washing this off, I got a whiff that reminded me of the Richard Scarry scratch & sniff book I had as a child. That was the first positive association I made with this. On the bright side, a good scrubbing has taken most of it off and I should be able to try a different scent soon.

Edited by Alsatia

In the imp: It's mostly patchouli and vetiver; I can smell the pine some, too, which irritates me (that is, I'm not allergic to pine but it still creates a similar reaction)

On, wet: It's still really vetiver, but I could smell the lime at a sniff and also the clove.

Dry, after 7 hours: It's mostly vetiver, with clove -- I can smell the vanilla at a distance, when I catch a whiff of it without actually putting my wrist to my nose and sniffing.

It's funny, I don't like the smell of vetiver on its own, but it turns into something fantastic on me. :P I really like this scent. Will have to buy a bottle when the imp runs out.

At first sniff I got a punch in the face by a sweet smell with a dark and bitter edge to it. A hint of liquorice or aniseed perhaps? It should be interesting! Now on and drying; spicy and reminiscent of a Church. Now that it's dry it is deeply spicy/incensy, but nothing overly distinctive. I still like it though and may consider getting a bottle.

In bottle/imp: An odd earthy/citrusy/creamy mix with a little hint of cola.

Immediately on skin: This is a very weird scent. It’s earthy but sweet and almost effervescent at the same time. Out of all the notes I get the patchouli, vetiver and myrrh blending, then the lime as a top note with the vanilla and almond blending in. It’s almost like citrusy cream soda poured over slightly spicy dirt.

After a little while: The lime note has really all but disappeared, and now this is a warm and slightly creamy patchouli blend. The almond and vanilla add a nice warm sweetness to the gritty patchouli. The myrrh and vetiver just add depth to the patchouli base, giving it a slight smokiness and a little spice.

Overall Impressions: This starts out just odd, but it calms down to a very nice patchouli blend on me. The combination of patchouli, myrrh, vetiver, almond, and vanilla seems very warm and wearable. I would say this is a more unisex scent. Unfortunately I really don’t like patchouli, so it’s not something I would wear.

Frimped by the lab! :P

in the imp it's all HELLO, I'M VETIVER!

On my skin it's earthy dark patchouli and vetiver holding hands and skipping around, taunting the rest of the oils with their strength.

Once it dries down a bit, I can smell (in different whiffs) the pine, the almond, and the lime. But not all at the same time. They are poking their heads out from behind their individual trees after the strong patchouli and vetiver combo go past.

A little vanilla and myrrh are hiding in the background too.

Interesting scent -- I habe a code righbt now so I am not sure I am smelling it to it's fullest potential. While try again when my nose doesn't feel so filled with sharp prickly porcupine quills each time I smell something.

This is absolutely my perfect scent, and I can't believe I hadn't tried it before now. I have been kind of sad lately that I haven't recently sniffed imps that I wanted bottles of, but this is in my bottle future.

Even though it's not listed as a note, this has a red musk vibe to me. Very sensual, musky, warm, myrrh-tastic, and...guh.

Love. :P

Edited by flyingpizza

I was a little afraid of trying this. I ordered three imps with vetiver in them and the first two didn't really work on me. I decided that vetiver tends to make me smell unwashed, and was really close to writing Voodoo off as well. Glad I didn't.

In the vial: Ahhh! Vetiver! :P Vetiver and pine. And a sweet nuttiness. It's woodsy and earthy, and... vetiver! Oh noes.

Wet: Pine and lime and vanilla. It's very green and woodsy, almost minty, but the vanilla balances out the sharp greeness and makes it smooth and warm.

Dry: The sharpness of the pine has left. The scent that wafts around me reminds me of vanilla cola, or some other kind of soda. Vanilla with an intruiging background of myrrh and patchouli. Makes me think of wood nymphs and dryads. Gorgeous. Oddly enough, the vanilla comes out more on my wrist. On the inside of my elbow it's all myrrh and patchouli.

Overall: Reminds me of my other favourite Belladonna. Green and herbaceous, but sweet. I was afraid of the vetiver because I've not liked the other blends with vetiver that I've tried. But I think that vanilla just loves me and it's making the vetiver behave.

A big bottle of Voodoo lovin' will be mine! Muahahaha!

I looked at the notes and was hopeful as many of those are things I like the smell of, but, smelling the imp, I began to feel a little apprehensive.

Wet on me, aaaargh!!!

Pine+almond+vanilla are not my friends. Ick.

Drying, the overwhelming assault lessens somewhat. so far, I don't like the combination of notes. The pine and the vanilla are fighting over who gets to be in front, with the almond egging them on. I'm not entirely certain that I can wait this one out. I may have to wash it off.

2 minutes in. The vanilla is claiming victory. It is top of the heap....for the moment. There's still an undertone of uneasy notes below the vanilla. at least the vanilla hasn't gone cloyingly sweet or shifted into baby powder.

4 minutes in, the pine is coming up the hill for round two.

5 minutes in, the vanilla has teamed up with the almond to attempt to beat the pine down again.

6 minutes in, tired of feeling like a battleground, I go wash it off. There mihgt be somehting interesting further in, but, I'm not finding it today.

Imp: Patchouli and lime candy. A little nauseating, to be truthful.

Wet: VETIVER! I AM GLAD TO MAKE YOUR ACQUAINTENCE AS WELL!! Wow. Vetiver is usually a good note on my skin, and while it's not rank or anything, it is very "HELLO!!! IS THIS YOUR PERSONAL SPACE? TOO BAD!! I'M SO GLAD WE SHARED THIS MOMENT!" right now. I can smell some patchouli in the background.

Dry: It dries down to a warm patchouli-vanilla with a touch of citrus... and an assload of vetiver floating over it. There's nothing WRONG with the vetiver, it just compells me to type with a lot of caps and blocks out the other scents on my wrist. The longer I sniff the more it goes away--but that might just be because it's killing my sensory cells one at a time.

Throw: Do you like vetiver? Sit next to me.

Overall: I like it. It just likes me a wee bit too much.

Edited by paperrose

this is one of my all time favorite scents, from anyone, anywhere. on me, it smells EXACTLY like my dearly departed "middle earth turns to rock" soap from lush. i was hoarding a bar of it so i could sniff it every once in awhile and be reminded of the amazingness, but i threw it out after i bought a bottle of voodoo.

on me it is patchouli-lime deliciousness. like patchouli, but lighter (not *light,* just "lighter") and sweeter. and although i've since discovered that myrrh is not my friend, here it is just part of the all-encompassing wonder of this scent.

Lots of vanilla. Over an hour after applying it, there is a touch of patchouli, and because I have now read the ingredient list, the smallest bite of pine.

Did I mention the vanilla? Husband does not like this one.

Voodoo is a case of giving a scent another chance and loving it the second time around.

I tested this on a small patch of my hand sometime last fall and didn't like it because the initial pine/almond smack in the beginning turned me off. I gave it away. Well, I was frimped with it today, and decided to throw caution to the wind and slather it on my pulse points before going out for a few hours tonight. Within 20 minutes I was huffing my arm and I told my boyfriend, "I smell frightening, like a dark Occult shop... and I LIKE it". The almond had evaporated and I was left with (what I THOUGHT, because I didn't have the notes at my disposal) a black-musk type of powder resin scent, with patchouli looming (I realized later it was the myrrh). For a long time it withstood as a beautiful dark scent, and the last traces, a few hours later, was distinctly vetiver and patchouli. In fact, that vetiver/patchouli combo that is described as "B.O.". But you know, I like it. I would have never guessed there was lime and vanilla in here; I guess it was only nuanced on my skin.

I might need a bottle of this. So glad I tried it again!

I think I like Voodoo alot...not sure yet.

Imp: Very earthy, with a hint of resins.

Wet: Very driven by patchouli, pine and the almond notes.

Dry Down: This morphs into a very nice, not overbearing, masculine scent for me. I know can smell almost a red muskiness in it.

Big Bottle?: Possibly.

I think this will be more of a "formal" fragrance for me.

I never got the image that the description tries to convey.

I LOVE this scent.

And I'll even admit that it smells like soda (I can't decide which one, coke with lime, cherry coke, Dr. Pepper and cherry Dr. Pepper are all contenders.)

However, when you apply a scent that's like some kind of soda syrup to your skin, it doesn't smell drinkable... it smells sniffable and lickable and all kinds of -ables that make this the scent I must have for my honeymoon. If you like sweet scents that aren't overtly foody and are a little bit dark, this is a good one.

This is my sexy evening scent.

In the imp this is very strong myrrh...I think this one will be doom for me-vetiver is my arch-nemesis and patchouli barely ever works on me. I like vanilla, almond, and clove, but I think those are going to be background notes that I won't get through all of the heavier notes on my skin.

Yeah, this is pretty much all patchouli and myrrh on me. A whiff of pine here and there and some patchouli, but I just bbaaaarely get any of the almond and vanilla.

It's not terrible-the vetiver didn't turn to death on me-this is just too dark and earthy for my tastes. Does dry down a bit sweeter, but ultimately, not for me.

I got Voodoo as a frimp in a swap; otherwise, I never would have tried it. Pine and vetiver = big time "no" components for me. And I have to admit, when I first put Voodoo on, I wasn't impressed. The pine and vetiver came out too strongly, along with the lime. It was a sharp, almost dirty scent for about thirty seconds.

But once it dried? Amazing. The vetiver and the pine mellowed out and dropped into the background, and suddenly, the vanilla and almond and myrrh came out. Some of the lime stayed around to brighten things up, but overall, once dried, Voodoo is a warm, deep, rich, sexy scent I can see myself wearing a lot of.

Voodoo is really incredible, and I'm so glad I got to try it. Even if a few of the components sound scary to you, give it a shot.

This blend is so unlike anything I would ever think I wanted. It started out really bitter and pungent in the vile and, for an instant after it touched my skin, smelled like cherry cola. Then, it very quickly settled into what it is now, which is what I was hoping Scherezade would be. But even better.

Still, I didn't like it right away, but it grew on me. I need this in a big bottle.

It's the embodiment of Malificent from Sleeping Beauty. Sort of.

Imagine that Malificent was made of flesh and blood and wind and smoke. Imagine her capable of doing great good as well as great evil. Imagine her poised and graceful in the middle of a snowy evergreen forest in the bitter cold, the smell of burning spinning wheels and the ghostly green glow of a calm, cold, undulating flame on dry wood emanating from her in a whisper that can be heard on the breeze whenever you're alone and the hairs on your neck suddenly stand on end.

This is Voodoo.

It makes me feel like I can do anything.

*ETA -- Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

A couple hours later, and this has become super, super sweet. Take the above description, coat it in powdered sugar, take a whiff, and let the powdery cloud fill your lungs. That's what I've got now. It's turning my stomach. I'll have to try this one another time.

Edited by Noir

Imp from a friend

Imp: Cherry/Almond & myrrh

Wet on Me: Myrrh & barest whiff of vanilla.

Drying Down: This jangles in my nose. Smells musty

& old with peeps of patchouli waking up

Dry: Musty myrrh & patchouli. I had high hopes for

this one as I was hoping the lime would come thru for me. But alas no.

This one goes on the re-homing pile