Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
allamanda

Voodoo

A midnight scent, evoking images of flickering golden firelight reflecting off the sheen of glistening skin and the jerking shadows of bodies suffused with spiritual ecstasy. A deep, powerful, resonant blend of myrrh, patchouli, vetiver, lime, vanilla, pine, almond and clove.

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet! My hubby wears it all the time! This review is of voodoo on him, not me.
voodoo.jpg
Bottle: Fruity, fumy and woodsy. The fruity is the type of almond that wants to be cherry, along with some smooth citrus. The fumy is likely the vetiver, and woodsy is pretty obvious. Honestly, from the bottle/imp, I don't think I would like this much, but this ones a morpher, cuz it smells great dry (hehe, I'm giving away the ending, aren't I?)

Wet: Cherry coke. Or, even more accurate: the new Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper. Yeah, that sounds weird, but that's exactly what I think it smells like wet. No worries, dry is better!

Dry down: Smooth round and sultry(in a manly way). Non-foody vanilla with almond and just a hint of cherry. Its made non-foody and mascunlinized (is that even a word?) by the resins and woods--the patchouli, myrrh and pine are so well blended in there that you can't pick them out, but they take this blend to a whole new level. I never really get clove out of this, and the citrus is pretty much only when wet, but I don't miss them at all. The throw is perfect--enough for him to be able to seduce me from about two feet away. It's got staying power, which is a must with him, since he won't be bothered to reapply (lazy guy).

Overall: The drydown comes as a total scrumptious surprise after the questionable (but short) start. Hubby loves this, and I love it on him. On him, it's manly and sexy. So much so, that I like this being HIS scent. So even though I bet I would like this on me, I am happy to let him be stingy with it.
It was the first 5mL I ever got him, and it’s the scent he usually picks as his standard.

edited to add lab's description Edited by Shollin

Frimp luv'n! :D

In the bottle: medicinal, sharp and bitter.

Wet: medicinal, sharp, and bitter. Hmmm, not so good. No vanilla, no almonds, no clove, no patchouli. All the things I love, and nuthin'. :P

Dry down: medicinal and sharp almonds. :D

30 minutes: that was as far as I got, took a shower and washed it off. :D I so wanted to try this one, and I thought for sure it would work. Dumb chemistry.

Rating 1-5, on my skin, this is a 1.

Imp: Dr. Pepper & Cognac

Wet: Mediciny...makes my nose twitch.

Drydown: Vanilla comes to play for a bit...not so medicinal anymore, ut it took about an hour. So, vanilla brandy and dr. pepper.

Not too bad...I might keep the imp.

Because I'm silly, I automatically assumed that 'Voodoo' was one of the Voodoo blends, so I just spent the last couple of minutes looking through that folder for this thread. :P

I agree with what a lot of you have been saying about the Dr. Pepper/Cherry Coke smell in the imp vial. Which reminds me, I should probably try that new Black Cherry Vanilla Coke that I've been seeing all of those ads for. [/hijack] When I read that, I wasn't sure that I wanted to smell like my favourite drink, but I don't mind it, now that I've smelt it for myself.

On me initially, it smells more like Cherry Coke than Dr. Pepper. The patchouli doesn't really come out much. It's there, and I can tell it's there, but it's not so overpowering that it'd give me the headache it usually does. I can see that it has potential to do so, which means I should apply this in moderation. On the drydown, the patchouli takes over, along with the clove. It's nice and spicy, which I suppose is alright for some, but I can already feel the headache coming on.

It was okay for a while, and then the patchouli had to come out. Wah. 3/10.

Edited by rabid hauteur

My first impression was that I did not like Voodoo too much. Then, it started to morph. It has so many scent elements that I love, but I am not sure I like them all together. Just when I think Voodoo can go to the swap pile, I apply more and work with it again. Strange! It must be the lime drawing me in. Unusually enough, I don't love vetiver, but I love the way it comes out in Voodoo. Maybe I just ought to give in to Voodoo and admit I like it more than I thought!

6 months later...Voodoo has become a favorite! It's lime, patchouli, vetiver and clove loveliness has done me in. It is futile to resist!

Edited by Celogrl

That voodoo that you do, oh Voodoo!

Apart from the delicious alliteration, this is a vialful of magical goodness.

First sniff from the imp: effervescent and spicy, like an exotic cola. Heaps of almonds. Dancing lime.

Wet: Yes, the bubbly spiciness is still here: cola, almond, lime. The incense aisle of an indian grocery store...lots of familiar smells mixed in with some notes that are utterly unfamiliar. This perfume is hip, and it knows it!

Drydown: The bubbly cola-ness is gone, alas. There is a delicious blend of incenses remaning...patchouli, vanilla and what I am guessing is myrrh. Divine.

Sooo many of my favorite notes....I got it for the vanilla and patchouli combination, but then it showed up slathered in thick lime-candy syrup, smoking a clove ciggie. I wish I knew what vetiver and myrrh smell like on their own so I could appreciate them here.

Voodoo is now one of my signature scents. It is unique, intensely magical and comforting. The only thing keeping me from ordering a bottle is the notion that (impossible as it sounds) BPAL might have outdone itself and made something even better. I've ordered an imp of Queen. If that is isn't everything that Voodoo is and more, I'll cave in and get a bottle of this :P

Edited to identify notes and add comments.

Edited by attar shanas

In the vial: Cherry limeade with a bit of fizz. Like Slushie syrup.

Wet: Interesting. Almost chocolatey at fist, and then a very rich sugar or caramel scent. The fruit more or less disappears. The pine is like a memory of pine, like pine tar has been powered and very lightly sprinkled through this.

Dry: It's a campfire smell. That's what it is. Burnt tree sap and the remains of corn husks and leaves and bodies. Not burning bodies but people close by a bonfire. Not what I was expecting, but better!

In the vial: Woody with a dominant cherry note. Cherry coke? :P

Wet on me: Has an effervesence feel to it. Like a fizzy cola drink still with a bitter woodsy note.

Drydown: A very complicated blend. Can't really tell individual notes. Just resin-y, smokey and sweet all at the same time. Impressive.

20 mins later: Turned generic powder scent

Edited by mandragora

Imp: Lime! Sharp and almost bitter, probably because of the pine, though it doesn't sell piney.

Wet: Tthe lime comes through strongest when first applied, though I can now smell subtle hints of vanilla and myrrh in the background. This is so good that it made me stupid, seriously. I started walking out of my room in a daze of wonderful smelly goodness before I realized that I had forgotten to finish getting dressed.

Drydown: Even though the lime was strong enough to knock you on your ass when first applied, it dissapears very quickly. I'd say it stuck around for about ten minutes before it vanished completely, leaving behind the most delicious vanilla/myrrh combination. They smell so completely divine together, that I am thinking they should never be sniffed apart again. The patchouli and vertiver are working together in the background to give this a wonderfully earthy base, with just a hint of pine. Enough to let you know that it's there, but not enough to overwhelm.

The pine is also fleeting, and this becomes richer and deeper the longer I wear it. The pathouli and vertiver get stronger over time, and the myrrh fades a bit, but the vanilla keeps going strong. I love this stuff. Oddly enough I get no clove or almond out of this, which is a strange thing with my chemistry, but I'm not complaining. Especially since almond can sometimes smell funky on me. This was obviously meant to be.

I have found the vanilla scent. I'm sorry Snake Oil and Golden Priapus, but I'm dumping you for Voodoo. I don't need time to think about it, this is my Holy Grail of vanilla blends. If it weren't for the fact that I am ridiculously broke right now, I'd have already ordered a bottle of this. I think this will be the incentive I need to cut loose all the bottles and imps that didn't work out on me, but I've been to lazy to put up for swap. I need to fund a Voodoo order. :P

WOAH.

Very bitter and astringent-smelling in the bottle. It made me sneeze, which is a first. It instantly turned to pine-sol on my skin, with maybe a dash of Forumla 409. And damp, smoldering wood. :P

In The Bottle it smells like a lime flavoured 'Soda Licious' fruit snack. :P Weird, but I love that smell.

Wet On Can still smell the lime, but some spicyness too.

Dry awe pooey, the lime is all gone. Smells mainly of Myrrh. Not that I don't like Myrrh, it's just that I was really excited about the lime. I think I might try this one in my scent pendant once I get it, and see if that limey vanilla fruit snack smell hangs around, because it was gorgeous. I don't think I'll get a bottle though.

ETA: I tired it on a little bit of paper, and that lime smell sticks around! So this will be a keeper, just not on my skin.

ITA with those folks who say it smells like Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper, and Cherry Coke, while wet. It really does.

I was stoked to try this out, because it has a bunch of notes I generally like- lime, vanilla, clove... but it seems to be paired with notes that really don't like me. On my skin it smelled so strongly of malediction that I nearly tossed it right then, but then something kicked in to even it out, and I think it's the lime, because it smells a lot lighter... I think the pine is balancing out the heaviness as well... and now it's taking a turn for the floral. Wha? I want some spicy limeade, dammit! Instead, I seem to be getting a sneezing fit. I can see how this would be gorgeous and powerful on somebody, just not my body. Due to the sneezing, not my man's body, either.

First Impression: Almond.

Dries down to: The almond settles down when it's joined by citrus and patchouli. Then, clove peeks her head in, leaves and returns with vanilla. There's so many distinct notes in this one that keep coming and going that it should have been called Sybil.

Additional Comments: I often find spicy scents can turn a bit musty on me but there's a real freshness to this blend. What an intriguing combination of notes - a harmonious yet powerful blend. I'm not familiar with myrrh and vetiver as to their specific smell, so I can't say I'm aware of them. This will be a great oil for days when I want something different.

Lasted: Overnight.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

In the imp: almonds and vanilla, with a hint of vetiver.

On my skin, initial: the almond and vanilla grows richer with a pine note undertone, giving this a fresh feeling.

Drydown: ahh, now I get LOTS of lime, a little pine, and a hint of something spicy.

This is complex and fresh, but I'm undecided. I need to test it more. :P

in the bottle it smells sparkly and citrusy, like 7-up. but when it hits my skin it’s mostly deep woods – cedar and pine, i think. the sparkling note is still there in the background, however. as it dries, there’s burnt almond, a touch of sweet myrrh, and finally the vetiver shows up, lending its usual “earthy” note. no traces of patchouli or clove.

i think without the vetiver this would be a cool, clean, outdoorsy scent – one i’d enjoy. but i don’t like the dank, dirty scent that vetiver brings. it overpowers everything else. so i’ll have to swap this one. i have to say, though, that even though it’s not for me, it is quite an evocative scent -- bringing to mind the dark, dangerous, mysterious qualities associated with voodoo.

Yum. This is woody and aromatic. I thought I didn't much care for patchouli, but was wrong again. (Thought I liked jasmine, so a little cosmic humour) The vetiver behaves itself, the pine, almond, and lemon all play nice and blend. This reminds me a little of Pumpkin 4 & 5 that I wear often. Maybe it's the myrrh that reminds me of sandalwood? No glittering sweaty bodies thank whatever. Definitely Not for the swap pile.

In fact, I like Voodoo so much that I pick up an imp when I can get one and stash them in a 2ml bottle. The only thing holding me back from ordering a 5ml is clutter.

Edited by themerrybaker

love this oil. was a shock, too, for i didn't expect to like it from the coke reference, & nearly didn't bother smelling it but i did. funny that i smelled it, thought cocacola... and i am not a soda fan, at all. out of curiousity though i put some on and i am SO glad i did because the cola thing disappears instantly and, like other favorites of mine, i can't even describe this one, all i know is i love it on me. i feel powerful when i wear it, which is a prerequisite for anything i wear. it's warm and sweet yet dark and powerful.

it's not a voodoo blend but i wear it as if it is. with intention. though i do this with most anything i put on.

maybe i will update this post when i figure out what this smells like to me and what it is that i love so much.

maybe i will just accept it as it is.

love.

m*

Edited by marzstar

Imp

This is very intriguing. I smell dark woods and vetiver, effervescent lime, and a thickness I can only think is from the myrrh, vanilla, and almond.

Wet

I cannot keep sniffing this. It is mysterious (not because of the name, but because I cannot figure out *what* this is). HA! Jewelbug mentioned it smelt like cherry coke wet, and indeed it does! I knew I smelt that scent before!

Dry

After some time, the cherry cola scent mellowed and a masculine, woodsy blend moved in. This is a very good man scent, and I think I will try this on the husband to decide if I want to let it go or not.

I have to admit that the imagery behind Voodoo is more my reason for wanting to try it rather than the scents in the blend. However, I was not disappointed with my little imp. There's something dark and sensual about this blend as it warms on my skin, and I felt a little more powerful, confident, and sexual in some way.

It's not a perfume I'd use every day, but I will definitely do my best to keep an imp around for special occasions.

In the imp: Dr. Pepper mixed with Cherry Coke. Lots of sweet almond with a fruity snap.

Wet: Almond mostly, grounded with a bit of earthy vetiver. Still smells like cherry coke from here, though. Sweet and juicy, and a little bit mischevious.

Drydown: The myrrh finally stands out on its own, but the sweetness of the blend is still stuck in my nose. I do get a nice smack of clove from time to time, but I can't banish the idea of a coca cola offering left over the markings of a veve.

In short, this is one awesome blend. It's sweet and spicey and a little naughty too. Usually vetiver doesn't work with my chemistry at all, but here it plays nicely with the other notes.

Voodoo is not a blend you can forget easily. I've had the imp a while, and I can recall it with little effort. It's a fast love for me, though once in a while, depending on the time of the month, it can take a nasty turn and go all-out vetiver which I can't stand. For that reason I've held off buying a bottle, hoping that the imp would age nicely.

It hasn't aged at all, really, but that doesn't mean I don't love it.

3.5/5 on Medici's Scale o' Luuurve

Myrrh? Check. Patchouli? Check. Vetiver? Check. Lime, vanilla, pine, and almond? MIA. Clove? AWOL. Things are not looking good for me. Myrrh, patchouli and vetiver are yet-to-work notes on me. In fact, if there was sandalwood and frankincense, this would have every note I hate. *sigh* But the lab gifted me with two imps of this, so I figured it'd be worth a try. And once it's dry it's not so bad. But this just really, really isn't for me.

Wow, what an interesting cascade of scents Voodoo has! Don't have much to add that hasn't been said by others but I really like this blend. After the initial rush of notes this settles down on my skin and reminds me strongly of a blend of Vanilla and Patchouli oils that I made up once. But more interesting. It doesn't strike me as masculine or feminine, particularly.

This is one of the few oils that my husband noticed and approved of as soon as he caught a whiff :P

in the bottle it smells almost like dr pepper and lime syrup. odd, but yummy.

then on the skin, it's changes, the patchouli stays nicly in the background but it turns kinda masculine smelling on me. maybe it's the clover and myrrh doing that.

it's not something i would buy a bottle of but i'll keep the imp....

If Love Me is cola and Kathmandu is root beer, then Voodoo is Dr. Pepper. That was my first thought when I put this scent on. A* and I went out and bought a Dr. Pepper just to see, but it wasn't quite it. As was mentioned before, Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper would have been much more like it.

As this dries down, the vanilla gets stronger and stronger, and it develops a plasticky smell.

Now, my youngest daughter bought herself a dolly that is vanilla scented and this smells just like that, and nothing else, for several hours.

For awhile, as it was fading, I was convinced it smelled like some goth junkies I used to hang out with at the Luxor. Waxy skin, lots of scent and makeup, in rooms that desperately needed airing out. It has a powdery smell, and it is so sweet, like a sweet scent used to cover up something dying. Oh dear. That isn't something I want to evoke.

I sent this away today to someone else. May she enjoy it more than I did!

I expected this to be some sort of sinister fragrance, dark or something. But when I applied it all I smelled was sweetness. After it dried down some I'm smelling a sexy baby powder scent. It's lightand very nice.

Now that I go back and read what others thought of it being a Dr. Pepper/Cherry Cola/and some sort of lime.. Yes, in the bottle that's exactly what I smell! Of course, my nose isn't quite as sophisticated as others yet, so maybe this vanilla-woodsy smell is what I equate to powder.

Still, I like it and will likely get myself a full bottle :P