Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
allamanda

Voodoo

Wet and in the imp: it smelled really green and floral to me, which is why I avoided it.

Drydown: i began to smell the syrupy quality someone mentioned, but then it kept morphing. It's like it cycled through all the different scents, some overlapping with others. Nothing really standing out over the others. The vetiver is making this smell a bit darker and dirtier than I would have liked. Everything smells great together, but there's one note that makes a hard right-turn for me, and I'm pretty sure it's the vetiver. Could be the pine, but i doubt it.

Dry: The vetiver eventually calms down, but I'm impatient. It does end up smelling sweet and headshop-y. And yeah, Dr. Pepper actually feels kinda close, except without the bubbles. It still doesn't do much for me, though.

Badass, sexy scent! CLOVES and vanilla, sharp pine, marzipan. Strong, very complex and beautiful ☠️🖤

This blend has body and throw for me and I mostly get the vanilla lime deepened by myrrh and patchouli. The dry down lasts for at least half a day for me, which I really appreciate. This is one of my favorite fall scents that I find myself reaching for year after year.

Voodoo:

In the bottle: a delicious, fruity, sarsparilla/root beer.

Wet: A clear cinnamon note, which would be the clove, but it reads as cinnamon in this blend. A sweet undertone from the lime/vanilla/almond, but the sweetness is only faintly there. A suggestion of something powdery—that must be the myrrh.

Dry: STRONG powder notes from the myrrh. The myrrh is drowning out everything else unless I hold my wrist up to my nose and sniff, and then I can get the clove. Nothing else, though.

After 20 minutes: Settled into a myrrh/powder-forward scent that’s not bad, actually—well balanced with a clear vanilla base note. But all I’m getting now is powder and vanilla, with no complexity. Myrrh/vanilla is a nice combination, especially when it’s so well balanced, but it’s far too feminine for my tastes. This one is not a keeper for me.

When wet it reminds me of cola or cola syrup. It's not bad but I don't get the association out of my head so it's all I'm smelling. 

Overall it's sweet and sour, slightly spicy and turns more powdery when dry. Oh well, cola scented powder. 

In the Imp: The power of Pine-sol s: but with something deeper & darker.

On the Skin: Still a bit of Pine-sol while wet, shall wait for it to dry. Patchouli chimes in thankfully and is the strongest note now. The lime, vanilla, and pine sweeten it. Myrrh, vetiver, and clove add a spicy smoky kick. It becomes a bit earthy after awhile which I love. I like it, it's a very nice unisex smell & I would buy a full bottle of it. ❤ After a few hours, a sweet vanilla remains.

VOODOO:
Wet on skin: I'm picking up a lot of things, most of what it says on the tin. The vetiver, pine, and almond are the most forward. It kind of reminds me of a cabin my grandparents had in the woods down South. So woodsy, but also kind of dank like a swamp, but in a good way. In particular I swear I smell the Spanish moss you so often see hanging from trees along the Gulf Coast, even though it isn't listed.

Dry: it continues to smell like a blend of everything listed, maybe still a little vetiver and Spanish moss forward, very cologney Gulf Coast forest. I definitely get why this is called Voodoo.

I like it, but don't think I need a full bottle as it's not something I see myself wearing out.

Many things. Bubblegum, sasparilla, cherry? On wet, I think the cherry is maybe dragon's blood. The bubblegum and sarsaparilla notes fade on my skin, I get vanilla and cinnamon. 

Glad I’m not the only one who got Dr. Pepper from this one. It’s a nice deep, thick cherry instead of a bright maraschino cherry, probably thanks to the myrrh. I finished my imp a few years ago but I still think about getting another sample or bottle when I use Outremer’s Cola. I could have a mini soda frag collection lol

A very earth, sweet incense. It's a pretty delicious scent, but I think in the incense category, my favourite will always be Gaueko. This is basically a "higher", "thinner" version of Gaueko, if you know what I mean.

On first sniff, Voodoo is a very strong perfumey patchouli. Wet on skin, it develops some nice resinous and spicy notes. I agree with the other reviews that said it smells like a bonfire. A few hours later, though, the clove is undetectable unless your nose is touching your wrist, and it turns into an overly powdery and sweet incense scent. Too hippy-bookstore for me.