Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
slave1

Bat-Woman

Ratkirani, calla lily, moonflower, honeysuckle, night-blooming jasmine, French lavender, verbena, grey amber and nighttime air.

It's really interesting to read what everyone else is getting on this one because it's such an interesting, evocative blend.

At first I get all lavender, very sharp, herbally lavender. That's okay though, I love lavender. After awhile the other florals begin to emerge and something green that smells a bit like flower stems and leaves and very like a garden. On me it turns a bit soapy in the end and then disappears but I like it very much in the bottle so I tried it in my scent locket. There is stays at that pretty night-time garden phase and gives off a gentle throw.

I'll test it a few more times on my skin and then decide if it's a keeper or not. I might have to keep it just for the artwork it represents which I LOVE. Overall, another amazingly evocative Salon blend.

This mostly smells like an elegant white floral on me, and it's very pretty. My problem with it is that for some reason it's very faint on my skin. Even if I put on a lot I can barely smell it.

So, I'll stick with White Moon as my white floral BPAL fave. Bat-Woman smells much more perfumey than White Moon due to the amber and "nighttime air," and I like that aspect, but it's just not quite strong enough for me.

This is a gorgeous blend and its one of the rare BPAL's in which I prefer the dry stage to the initial wet stage! When I first put it on, Bat-Woman was a mix of the florals on me, well-blended enough that I couldn't pick out individual notes. It was also very strong in this stage - a little went a long way! As it dried, it softened to a mix of lavender and nighttime air. Bat-Woman made me think of being in a summer garden at night, watching the bats come out to play. This is a beautiful, feminine scent that represents the artwork its named for so well. :P

When I first put this on, it’s very green and floral with a bit of a powdery bite underneath. It’s very crisp as well.

But as I wear it, it definitely fades nicely. The floral notes lighten up and the amber comes out and makes the scent much warmer. It’s a nice floral scent without being too perfume-y. I don’t know if I’d buy a big bottle of this, but it’s definitely worth another try.

Oh, Bat-Woman. This was a sleeper hit on me, and I was a little dismissive in the early stages until I wore it a couple of separate times. Generally, I like florals a whole lot; but it takes a certain mystique for a floral to stand out above others to me.

Sniffing the imp, this is a chilly, light, whitish-gray floral to me. Light and very clean, nearly soapy. I distinctly pick out lavender, calla lily, and perhaps the moonflower. This is a flowerbed at twilight. Slathering this on, lavender jumps out first. Jasmine is adding just enough of that characteristically sour floral note without dominating. I'm impressed by the use of grey amber and verbena; gone are my assumptions that anything with verbena is going to be a citrussy mess. In fact, I wouldn't know the amber and verbena were even in there without reading the ingedients. These notes create the illusion of that smeared, steel-colored landscape.

Instead of quieting down and slipping away, this gets lovelier on my skin over time. There's delicious throw, and the honeysuckle is just perfect. Add a bottle to my wishlist!

In the imp: cool, sweet lavender, which is so soothing now when I have a headache.

Wet on me: lavender and amber, but where amber is usually very warm this is super-cool. Definitely a nighttime scent.

After a few minutes: This really does smell like nighttime air in a beautiful garden. Soothing, not too sweet, a little bit herbal. The lavender is regrettably suggesting lavender soap to my brain, but it's not turning soapy as such. And then - WOW! Something sweet comes out beneath the lavender. Is that honeysuckle?

Drydown: Awww, I wish this were stronger. Right now it seems to be back to the cool, sweet lavender that I smelled in the imp. Rather what I imagined Yvaine would smell like, actually. Amber makes it sweeter and deeper.

I like this, but it's not as strong as I'd hoped. I'll need to try wearing more of it or putting it in a scent locket.

Open, that is the word that comes to mind with Bat Woman. Lavender has really not been allowed to overpower the intro to BatWoman and all of it is so well blended that it is impossible to tell one note from another. This one is perfectly balanced, almost too perfectly balanced. It is such a "united front" that there is no one component which is poking out behind the others and commanding attention. Bat Woman is really pretty and worth the effort to obtain it.

In Bottle – lush floral

Wet – Smells like a garden on a humid summer night – a heady mix of lily, jasmine, amber, and something indefinably darker…..

Dry – The jasmine has faded gracefully back into the mix, the lily & amber are rich and warm, and the darker note is still there…..

In all, this is a rich, elegant, and intensely feminine floral mix. I need another bottle of this!!! :P

imp: lavender with a bit of jasmine and amber.

wet: this is pretty strong lavender on my skin. there do seem to be other notes in the background but i can't quite pick them out.

dry: like an herbal lavender blend over a bed of mixed florals.

In the bottle this is all florals. Like an expensive department store perfume. Which is generally my problem with Salon scents. Only one has really worked for me and oddly enough I have yet to get a bottle of it. (Satan and Death With Sin Intervening)

I came close to not even trying this because I've not had such great luck with Salon scents and I'm not a huge fan of predominantly floral scents.

For the first twenty minutes or so it's very strong and still all floral. Now though the amber has started to smooth it out a bit. It's really pretty and would be great for a night out somewhere glamorous. But it's just not for me. This bottle will probably go live with my Mother In Law. I think she'll really like it.

a couple of the notes in here can be hit or miss on me, but i figured i'd try this anyway, since many of them work well. at first something in this goes sour on me. i am assuming it's the calla lily, jasmine or honeysuckle, but i can't be sure. i think grey amber did that once to me too. once the sourness goes away, the scent is quite nice, and is mostly calla lily, moonflower and amber. it's very cool and dark, evocative of the painting.

Wet on my skin, Bat-Woman is a soapy white floral. Dry, all I think I'm getting is moonflower and lavender. And the soap. I'm blaming this one on my hormones, so I'll try it again in a week or so.

Sometimes complex florals confuse me. Ok, usually complex florals confuse me & my nose, then I sneeze. Especially if there's jasmine involved... Oh, and honeysuckle usually makes me nauseated. That said, this fragrance is an exception to just about everything previously stated. Except that I remain confused.

In the bottle: Confusion, florals, but, the lavender & the moonflower stick out, thus convincing me to test it.

Wet: Lavender stays strong, moonflower is hidden by the jasmine & honeysuckle- this worries me. My skin amps these scents & I don't exactly like them.

Dry down: Oh YAY. The jasmine & honeysuckle have decided to lay as steady & low notes where I can handle them. The lavender takes a back seat to the moonflower & calla lily. I think the amber is somehow amping those two on me.

Summary: I was surprised to be taken with this fragrance. I normally don't work with this many flowers in a bottle. But, it is quite nice. :P

I recently acquired a decant of Bat-Woman and am reviewing it now because I plan to wear it to see The Dark Knight tomorrow. Yes, I am geeky. :P However, I love moonflower and the other notes sound good as well, so it's not *only* the name.

Oo, this is *very* well-blended--I get a beautiful, soft, lush scent with a slight freshness to it--the notes I detect are lemony verbena and a well-rounded bouquet of florals, none of which really predominates over the others. It's very pretty and light--not a "loud" scent at all.

I was apathetic about trying Bat-Woman, to be honest. For some reason, I thought it would be like White Moon and Night Thoughts, which I found to be overpowering and a bit too mature for my taste. Bat-Woman was a welcome surprise -- but after re-examining the notes, there was some serious potential lurking in The Salon for awhile that I had never picked up on. I'm a bit confused about the note "ratkirani" -- Wikipedia is telling me that it's night blooming jasmine (which is separately listed in the note list), but I've found some references stating that it's tuberose. That would make a lot more sense, since I think I can pick up on some tuberose in this. It would explain why I like this so much...

I really agree with someone above who mentioned that Bat-Woman has a very open feel. I haven't found very many "night-blooming" scents that truly have that lush, airy, "blanketed by the stars feeling", but this does. I'm starting to really enjoy The Salon scents because of the way each one represents a story, or an idea. This smells to me like the beginning of a night full of potential -- the kind of night you'll look back years later and be able to remember every little detail of. There's something almost prim about this that I find strangely appealing. Even though I love them, white florals in general tend to smell a bit funereal and eerie to me, but this one is devoid of that, and sweetly innocent. It's the good two-shoes sister of Midnight on the Midway.

4.5/5

Edited by inurbanus

In The Bottle

A complex blend but I can pick out the honeysuckle

On Application

Starts off with quite strong honeysuckle and quickly changes to a lovely soft herbal and musk

Dry Down

The lavender makes an early appearance to give a little sharpness and then the amber starts to sweeten things up. So far, while I can detect the orchid it's not doing anything nasty. About 5 minutes into the drydown this becomes cooler, lighter and more herbal (the salvia coming to the fore). This is really beautiful and an amazing morpher.

Rating (0-5)

Wet on me, very floral. I think I can pick out the jasmine and honeysuckle, but, that may be because I know they are there. The flowers are blending together really well.

I don't usually wear that many florals, but, if my skin doesn't swallow this one completely inside of an hour, I may give it a few tries and see how it goes.

I've let my decant settle for a few months in the interest of potentially letting the jasmine calm down, and it definitely worked - this is a light (and light-throw), sweet, heartbreakingly lovely floral on me. I don't get any powder.

I don't think it will be a bottle for me, as I'm learning I don't like florals enough to wear many frequently, but this is gorgeous, and potentially something even a jasmine-amper should give a shot.

hmm.. I've seen a lot of reviews where people are saying they don't smell anything or atleast not that much..

I always thought I would never come cross a BPAL scent that would do that to me

but: today is the day, I can smell a very little faint floral night gardenish thing

but really, not much at all :D

to bad, I'm sure I would slathered it all over myself cause that what I CAN smell is lovely..

too bad, will try again tomorrow though :P

One of the first bottles I ever purchased, did it rather on a whim (someone suggested it at a Will Call) as it smells very... sophisticated in the bottle.

Very gentle and light, sort of breezy with a touch of the otherworldly. I know now that florals will inevitably go to soap on my skin ( :whack: ) but there's something about this one that's unusually, weirdly pleasant; I actually LIKE THE SOAP. It's almost... warm (a light musk?) and sort of humid, more like I just got out of the shower than a caustic lather. Truly fits the pearlescent and softly glowing white figure in the painting, and I think of full moon nights when everything is illuminated so clearly.

I love the painting itself, but I'm not so terribly inclined to wear the scent as it's so light on me, and it's more delicate and feminine than I'm accustomed to ("too beautiful," if you understand). I've been meaning to pass it on to someone else who'd appreciate it more but it's difficult! XD If I wanted to pick a REALLY traditional floral, this would be it.

I just had a huge bouquet of fresh lilies in the house and they smelled so good. Looking through swaps I came across a full bottle of Bat Woman and I had the goods to go, so I took a chance. I am not a huge floral fan, but I have been searching for years for a honeysuckle scent that I can wear without feeling too innocent. Bat-Woman fits the bill. Wet, it smells almost like a gin and tonic-not exactly citrusy, but green and clean. Drying out the floral notes zing along, especailly the moonflower accord; I grew moonflowers and love them dearly, but have not found a blend to wear them in. THIS is the one. The "air" notes give the florals a lift that I really do enjoy, and the grey amber makes everything powdery. I love powdery. Oh, I love this! She is the spawn of Lyonesse and Ouija, I think.

Wet: Spicy water. I was expecting florals.

First on: Manly and masculine...weird.

Dry: Somehow this is just overwhelmingly masculine on me. I'm baffled.

In the bottle, this has an odd, chemical smell to it that is a little off-putting. Indeed, when I initially apply it, it's sharp and reminds me of ammonia and other unpleasant things with ammonia in them.

After a half-hour, the sharp ammonia smell tones down, and what emerges is floral and a little powdery. After a while, that floral, powdery scent has very much taken over--I am reminded distinctly of the smell of cosmetics… floral-scented powder makeup (does such a thing exist?).

I can appreciate that this is actually a very pretty scent, but it doesn't feel like me, even when it moves away from smelling like makeup and turns into its later stages, a very nice, soft, lightweight floral. Something about this floral just never felt like "me".

Recaplet: A soft floral after ammonia and powder stages.

My rating: 2 of 5 (Meh.)

Color impression: White and gray.

Lovely floral! After a little over an hour it's mostly gone, but I still get hints of amber and sweet white blossoms. It's very ethereal and I lvoe the night-time air imagery :)