Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zillah37

Ghagiel

Ghagiel

The Hinderers.

Uncontrolled energy, nihilism, narcissistic illusion.

Governed by Beelzebub, Lucifer’s Chief Lieutenant, one of the Unholy Trinity.

Ghagiel גאגיאל

In the bottle:

Light floral in the bottle.

Visual: Pale yellow color. Argh.

On my skin: Again, it turns soapy on the skin. This one at least stays little floral as well as soap. It smells very summery, a light golden scent - under the soap that is.

Edited by Shollin

This one is going pickly on me, so I'm guessing myrrh. It's light, though. There are also damp florals and something a bit spicy. It reminds me of Bayou with Parlement of Foules hanging out in the background.

Hmm. This one is so well blended I'm totally not sure what I'm smelling. Floral, yes. Not as deep as some. I have all the Qliphoths on right now, smeared up to my elbows with each patch labeled. How silly is that? Anyway, the Ghagiel patch is about 15 minutes into drydown, and it's actually a pretty faint scent at this point. I am just getting "bright floral" out of it, and that's about it. Not very complex, at least at this stage- but well blended, definitely.

For wearability, I'd call it a 3.5 out of 5.

In the imp, Ghagiel is... sweet, and reminds me of some of the lily blends in that I can tell that this is going to be floral, but I don't detect the -wham-pow-bam- notes that usually suggest rose or jasmine. So, here goes... on my skin, whoa does this amp up into a very powerful, strong floral. I can't tell what this is... all I know is that this is definitely not a blushing flower. Oh. I bet this is narcissus - because this is really knocking me out. Whoa. A bunch of strong white flowers duking it out with my wrist. This is not a shy blend at all. Heady and exotic.

This is a very light blend on me. It started out as a sort of flat, powdery floral. Very pale and white. It then morphed into a slightly more musky floral, almost carnation like, with a heady edge like a musky lily. It has faded over the last few hoursand is very faint right now. It is definitely pretty, but I'll need to wear it a few times before I decide on a bottle.

In the imp: How odd... I can't really decide what this smells like. A bit floral, but also almost woody. Like a flower bed with a fresh layer of that bark stuff they put on flower beds. Or something. I'm rambling and confused.

On: Floral with a bit of a soapy/watery tinge to it - reminds me of lily of the valley. Maybe narcissus. Very light and pretty.

In Bottle: Sweet floral

On Skin: I love this. It isn’t a strong perfumey floral, it’s sweet and has a nice resinous base. I think I smell jasmine or lily, but not too heady. This is very feminine and pretty, not masculine in the slightest. If you like light, sweet florals this would be a great choice. The resinous base saves this from being just another floral and also gives it a beautiful depth.

I get an imediate floral assault here, perhaps lily or iris. I don't actually get the muskiness in here, as others mentioned, just floral. It's a very pure, light floral on me, quite pleasant. I feel as though I am walking through a lovely garden in spring.

Sniffing it is hard, because the perfume of the florals gets up my nose and makes me sniffle. It's got a medium-low throw on my skin so I have to really get my nose close to my wrist.

As time passes I am starting to smell a touch of jasmine, on top of the other florals.

Ghagiel

In the imp: it’s faint, but I think I smell a hint of heliotrope in here-and also a sharp twist of anise. It’s a sweetish floral scent but with a liquorice-y bite to it. It also reminds me of the sweet-floral-fruity-spicy ‘secret magickal mixture’ that I’ve smelt in some Tarot, Sephiroth and TAL oils.

Wet on skin: anise and heliotrope! Maybe a hint of vanilla and cloves?

Dry: this is lovely…it’s mainly heliotrope, and underneath it I get hints of cloves, anise and other spices, and…oh my. Is that stargazer lily? Or is it sweet pea? A headier floral scent is pushing its way through the subtle sweetness-a note which reminds me of Juliet or Peitho. Yup, I think it’s a lily note of some sort. I think there’s also carnation in here. Maybe the clove note I’m getting is actually carnation? I think so-the scent is a warm, spicy floral mix, softly fiery and red. I also get a slight metallic note reminiscent of dragon’s blood, but it can’t be because the oil isn’t red. That could be the anise though.

After a while: I think I’m getting a hint of frankincense underneath it all. There’s a resinous twist to this scent-but not a dark, sweet resin, but a brighter, spicier one. I still get that red, warm, spiced floral scent, it’s softly fiery, yet also damp and moist. Very interesting. There’s a lovely sweetness to it all though, almost like vanilla but not quite-which makes me think of heliotrope or musk, with the clove like scent of carnation. I now also get a hint of slightly bitter green underneath it all, and the lily note becomes more apparent. There’s a ‘redness’ to this floral scent which reminds me of another BPAL-maybe Fire Eater.

After 2 hours, it smoothes out nicely into a lovely spiced red-pink lily scent fringed with green and a touch of anise and clove/carnation. This is what I hoped Cobra Lily would smell like.

But after 3 hours...oh my. Oh wow. Under the florals, I get creamy carnation musk-just like Morocco! I love this!

Verdict: another interesting, unique scent. Like other Qliphoth scents I’ve tried so far, it has a spicy feel to it, with a hint of incense. But this one is a sweet floral rimmed with spice and a hint of green or something similar to dragon’s blood. I’m sure there’s carnation and lily (probably stargazer?) in here, with a touch of heliotrope. I also smell clove and a surprisingly pleasant anise note. The effect is a red, warm, slightly fiery floral which, paradoxically, is also quite moist and dewy as well. I get just a bare hint of musk and possibly some frankincense too. It’s complex, somewhat contradictory and different, but I really like it. And the drydown on me is like a more floral version of my beloved Morocco. I’m keeping the decant.

Emoticon rating: :D and :P for the Morocco-esque drydown!

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Ghagiel is very light and springy - it reminds me of what I call "bulb" flowers (like tulips, narcissus, and hyacinth). On my skin it definitely has a lot in common with Eos, but it's got something spicier and woodier, more substantial underlying it. Although it is light in character, it has good throw and staying power compared to what I consider a light BPAL blend. It's quite beautiful and I decided that I needed a bottle of this one.

In the imp: Woods. Maybe a bit of floral too.

Wet: I'm not sure what this smells like. Sort of like burnt plastic, with a bit of wood. Something in this really doesn't work on my skin.

Dry: Burnt wood. Ick. I wish I knew what it is making it smell like this, so I could avoid it in the future.

Uhm...

*snff*

I can't really smell this for some reason. When I put it on, I could smell the light floral, but I think my skin's sucked it up, or it's just incredibly light. I think I might smell honeysuckle, but I'm not too sure. I agree with ivyandpeony, as it does remind me of Eos, which is a blend I've been thinking about buying for a while because I like my imp so much.

Ah, now, after about a couple minutes, I can smell it. Ghagiel definitely smells close to Eos, and I think having a bottle of this has definitely supplanted my need to get the other. The fragrance is light and very appropriate for the warm weather, as it isn't cloying. There is a heavier base note that is a bit woodsy, but not very thick at the three-minute mark.

I've had it on for about ten minutes now, and it smells different enough from Eos for those who have the bottle to give it a whirl. There's a noticable sort of "skin" scent to Ghagiel, which I find interesting. I can see the comparisons to Juliet as well. The floral is definitely in the honeysuckle/jasmine family, so beware, oh Jasmine-haters! This might not be for you, but I wouldn't discourage trying a bit of it anyway.

Ghagiel's a keeper, although I hadn't expected it to smell like a light spring day. "Uncontrolled energy, nihilism, narcissistic illusion?" Wow, sure smells pretty girly. I'm imagining Ghagiel in the form of a blonde maiden with a light, gauzy sundress and a straw hat, picking flowers in hell. "La-la-la, I'm a little demon, la-la-la."

-doreen

Edited to add: Oh, you know, Lycanthrope's right. This might just be narcissus in this fragrance.

Edited by feline.by.design

Ghagiel

In the bottle: Generic white flower perfume, complete with alchohol scent. I swear.

On me/wet:Starts off pretty! A floral mixture, but less overwhelming than I had been expecting based on the reviews. Slightly soapy, but also a teeny bit spicy?

Drydown: This actually became a very lovely floral, with sweet, almost fruity overtones. It took a while to lighten up, but now there's just a hint of light florals. Lily? Sweet pea?

Very nice. Although I see no connection between its name and scent, I'm definitely going to use this imp again. :P

Ghagiel is like a huge bouquet of white flowers. It's absolutely pretty. There is definitely something 'spicy' to the florals that gives them a little edge. Almost like carnation. I really love this one.

Oh Ghagiel, you have completely blindsided me, my precious!

I tried it on and went, "OMG LILY!". At first until drydown, this is almost true lily of the valley on me. Upon drydown, something a little spicy in the background anchors it and there might be some other floral notes involved, but they only serve to enhance the lily.

I love lily, so I adore this. A definite must-reorder! :P

at first: something sweet and almost a bit sour, along with the powdery scent of sandalwood.

on: even sweeter and more powdery. this is really, really beautiful.

half an hour later: soft and white. powdery and beautiful.

2 hours later: still sweet and powdery. lovely.

overall: this is just beautiful. i'm a sucker for powdery, sweet scents and this is simply that.

Ghagiel is one of those blends that reminds me of why I tend to dislike florals. I don't really like floral perfumes when I can't pick out what sort of flower I think they smell like.

This is like a mish-mash of white florals with a soapy bite to them. It doesn't remind me of any flower in particular, just smells like that cliche floral perfume fragrance that I find so unappealing when I walk through department stores in the mall.

Ghagiel gives me a headache :P

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a word or two: Floral, Morocco-esque.

Pre-review thoughts: A light floral, perhaps?

In the imp: Hello, flowers!

On skin, wet: White, waxy flower petals, sandalwood, and something almost sour.

On skin, dry: Lily and perhaps carnation? At least among other floral notes, anyway. Musky, a little spicy, and powdery with a distinct sandalwood element.

Conclusion/Notes: Not for me, this. I do notice a bland similarity to Morocco, what with the musk and spice elements, but this is too floral for me to really get into.

wet: more floral notes. It smells vaguely familiar, yet I can't pick any note out.

dry: more vague notes! I have no idea what I'm smelling. It's very light with a hint of spice to it. the floral note i'm most able to detect is cool and light, maybe muget? everything else would be a total guess, and most likely wrong.

Ghagiel - When I first apply this, it smells like a light, watery floral. Almost instantly, it becomes a really soapy, watery floral. The only floral I have discovered so far that turns to soap on me is sweet pea, and this smells exactly like that. I’m envious of some of the results other reviewers have had with this because it sounds quite lovely, but on me, the soapy floral note overpowers anything else that might possibly be in this blend. It lasts about two hours on my skin, and has only a light level of throw.

Ghagiel - the Hinderer should smell like a spoiled pet or child but in fact smells a lot like Danube. I think the folks who observed that the floral could be narcissus were right and that maybe there is a bit of opium poppy to add some bitternes.

I like how Ghagiel smells and glad I got to try it.

First sniff: It reminds me of drywall. Like a construction site with sun and wood and dust. But my first impression is dull white drywall.

Wearing: Well, this is much better. (It’d pretty much have to be, wouldn’t it?) On me, it’s a very quiet dry floral. It’s soft and light and quite subdued, just a little bit of sweetness. I’m not used to white florals that aren’t screamingly sweet, but Ghagiel fits that description.

GhagielSS.jpg

I am still too new to BPAL's goodness to be able to identify separate notes unless they are very strong, and delineated out for me in advance. :P

But..with that said, today my random imp pick was the first of a set of Qliphoth imps I bought from eBay for $18.

In the imp: There's a strange almost sour smell here, I don't get a strong floral sense at all. If I hadn't read the reviews, I might have passed on this because I don't like sour smells.

Wet on skin: Very light floral, almost not there. Again, had I not read the reviews this imp would have been tossed into my TryAgain/TradeAway box.

Dry: Oh, this is very nice. A golden spring morning, with spices! This isn't a 'sweet' floral on me, and like I said, I'm not good at picking out individual notes yet, but I hope I learn fast because I'd love to know what's in this so I can look for them in other blends.

Verdict: This imp was a lesson to me not to judge an imp by its bottle! What didn't seem like me before trying turned out to be a new favorite. This floral blend also has surprising stay power, and its throw is decent as well. I get little whiffs of it from my cleavage as I move around, enchanting me all over again.

Is it a keeper? Oh yes, it is. And I may have to break down and buy a 10ml bottle, even if it is pricey, this scent is that good. If the rest of the Qliphoth and Sephiroth imps I have are as good, I'm going to have to go without food to afford them. Not that it's a bad thing, all things considered.

Edited by stellans

On first sniff, my immediate thought was, "This smells like a Christmas candle." Don't know what's causing that, but when I sniff it I can totally picture one of those red spicy-scented Christmas candles. I think maybe it has some light florals in it, plus a spice that smells mostly like clove. Hmm. Usually when I smell a "spicy" floral it turns out to be carnation, so maybe that's what this is. This smells sweeter than carnation usually does on me, though... maybe another flower in there is causing that.

It's kind of light, and I think it's pretty. I really can't get past that winter association, though.