Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Dragon's Blood

Powerful, commanding, blazing with strength.

I love the Dragon's Blood notes in BPAL, and this one is no exception. The best way I've heard it described is fruity lilacs. Somehow I can't get enough of it.

edited to add lab description. Edited by Shollin

Dragon's Blood is dragon's blood, alright. ;)

DBR is such a dominant note that it usually floats to the top of any blend that includes it-- so Blood Amber, Dragon's Milk, Ladon, etc. are all pretty much single note perfumes on me with just slight variations to distinguish them. Yet I am somehow not bored by this actual single note perfume, despite already having similar scents. It's not as sweet as Blood Amber, not as creamy as Dragon's Milk, not as floral as Ladon.

I get nothing remotely resembling lilac, lotus, soap, rose, spice, incense or anything else others mention. Dragon's blood is what it is. If anything, it smells like cheerful magic fruit to me. lol. Very buoyant and red.

Edited by Aldercy

I wasn't familiar with Dragon's Blood before BPAL, but the more I smell this the more I love it. I do get the fruity florals and a bit of soapiness. The scent is the same on my skin as from the bottle. I love the throw. I can just smell the scent around me without having to bring my wrists up to my nose. It's like I'm in my own scent bubble. Too strong for the workplace, but I enjoy it for my own pleasure.

There's also something familiar in Dragon's Blood that I can't place. It's definitely from someone or someplace way back from my childhood. I asked my mom if it seemed familiar to her and she agreed it was, but she can't remember what exactly either.

In the Imp: slightly sweet, slightly resiny

Wet on Skin: one reviewer said this is a scent somewhere between rose and cherry, and that is accurate at this stage

While Drying: slightly sweet, slightly floral, slightly incensy (but that may be because I had a roommate who used to burn DB incense, so the association is there)

After a Little While: lilac is the closest scent I can think of; it goes ever so slightly soapy for a bit, but not enough to ruin it; The Boy usually doesn’t like DB but likes this

Later: initial sweetness tames and more spice/resin asserts itself; I like this phase better than the sweet phase

Final Thoughts: I was happy to have a chance to try this out so I can train my nose to get better at picking out individual notes in various blends. It is a nice scent all on its own, and I am looking forward to experimenting with more blends that have DB as a component.

Dragon's Blood earns a 3.5-4 out of 5.

I've been wanting to try this for quite some time. I love dragons and have always felt close to art, lore and symbolism depicting them.

This is very close to dragon's eye except that it lacks the smooth lilac note. To me its something akin to Jasmine. I don't get any incense or fruit. Just a strong floral. Its very nice and reminds me of a stronger wolf's heart. As this dries it does get a little deeper and warmer.

I've been looking for a nice floral that also has some oomph behind it and I think the throw on this is perfect.

With both dragon's eye and dragons blood on my skin I'm getting a little bit of a headache. They are lovely blends but they do pack a bite :lol:

In imp: spices and resin

Wet: Very spicy, sharp smell. Same kind of spices that I smell in Snake Oil.

Drydown: The resin smell goes into the background, leaving a thick spicy scent.

Later: Now it smells like spicy lilac. Very strong lilac, just like you’re standing right next to the tree. Late spring/summer scent for sure. It’s interesting, but not quite me.

:::DRAGON'S BLOOD:::

This fragrance is one that can be deeply personal...

The sweet, clandestine effluvia that is Dragon's Blood hearkens back to a time in the late 80's, early 90's, before words like, "Gothic" had the completely laughable, candy-coated connotations that it has evolved in modern times...

Excessive mascara, Doc Martens, Clove Cigarettes, and other non-mass-produced accoutrements... Ah, Glory Days.

Dragon's Blood is it's own scent entirely, but has similarities to Strawberry, Honeysuckle, Peppercorn, Rose, Lilac, and Tuberose.

On the skin, Dragon's Blood sweetens, wets, and becomes complex...

Almost a rippling, 3-D version of itsself...

If no one were the wiser, Dragon's Blood could easily pass for a bloom from the Avatar movie.

Dragon's Blood is rich and hyper-real.

This is the stuff of Phantasm, Wraith and Nosferatu.

Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab's version of Dragon's Blood is, hands down, the best version found anywhere in more than 2 decades.

A gem!

5/5!

Pure dragon's blood in the imp, which is expected. On my skin, the same; pure dragon's blood. Defintely going onto a second full skin test.

Dragon's Blood

It's funny how dragon's blood resin smells like anything BUT resin. It's like a humid greenhouse full of flowers, add some cherry, and the smell of rice steam. I wore this on a very hot day and it was nice, but I fell in love with it when I went into a frigid air-conditioned lecture hall. This is gonna kick ass in the winter!

*This was frimped to me from The Lab!

I really think I need this scent tempered by something else. Its not bad, but I need a little something more to balance it out.

I'm sure its lovely on other people, but by itself on my skin? Lilac and cherry cough syrup.

And something about Dragon's Blood dry just is a bit... sour. It doesn't work on me. I am intrigued, however, to smell this in other blends, with other notes to help it along (testing Wrath on my left arm now).

In vial: Brilliantly red oil. Not surprising. What is surprising is the delicately floral scent I'm getting. Delicate. Not something I would ever associate with dragons.

Wet: A whole lot of... nothing, actually. I really can't smell much of anything. Which means I may regret deciding to slather a lot on here in a few minutes.

Drying: Oh yeah, I'm gonna regret this. Very strong, sharp floral. Reminds me of Aries 2007, in a way... not surprising, considering this is one of the notes in that scent. However, it's a very strongly peppery scent, and a great deal lighter on the honeysuckle... and yes, there is honeysuckle in this. I can't quite tell you the other flowers, but I am very good at picking out the Lab's honeysuckle accord. There's a tinge to the scent that makes me think of jasmine, but I know it's not jasmine. Has the same nose-feel, though, if that makes any sense. A very heady, commanding sort of feel that compels you to smell it whether you want to or not.

Dry: Ah, white floral. That would explain the initial nothing, because that's what white florals do on my skin. I should really know this by now, I think, to not slather something just because it's initially faint. There's still an edge of something spicy that kind of makes me want to sneeze. Otherwise, it's mostly faint honeysuckle and a bitter sort of resinous quality. I get a somewhat metallic impression between the bitterness and the white floral... to the point where it's leaving a taste in my mouth like I'd been sucking on a penny. I can... actually kind of see where one would get the name dragon's blood for this. Hnh. Not sure how to explain this, but I do get a bloody impression. Interesting. Perhaps just the power of suggestion, but...

On me, Dragon's Blood is a very pure, elegant white floral from start to finish. I'm pretty sure it's jasmine, but it could be honeysuckle. No cherry and no rose. Even though it's not exactly what I expected from the other reviews, I absolutely love it - a jasmine-y scent that isn't too cloying, heavy, or powdery. It's perfect! The effect is, indeed, very fortifying...blazing with strength indeed!

Love Dragon's Blood on my skin. It is definitely powerful and strong. The scent reminds me of the plumeria flower without making it feel like I'm in Hawaii.

I've smelled many versions of dragons blood over the years. Some are too musky, some are actually gritty to the touch, some are burnt to a crisp having used old dried out elements... not this one!

This is dragon's blood from the prime of it's youth. Sweet, heady, dreamy, superbly fresh, and silky. Definite cherry note mixed with poppy fresh florals like orchid or plumeria or sweet pea and dragons blood resin. Lovely. :wub2:

Edited by SophieCedar

I didn't really know what to expect from this (sadly having no idea what Dragon's Blood actually smells like :b ). It's quite floral, though I can't put my finger on what flower specifically. I was figuring it would be a red scent, but I'd actually describe it as white.

I think I like it, but I'm not sure it's really my kind of scent. I will certainly be testing again though!

Finally get a chance to try Dragon's Blood today...LOVE it. As many a reviewer has said, I have smelled many "Dragon's Blood" perfumes, but this one is amazing. I'm surprised how light it is - perfect. Yay for finally finding a perfect Dragon's Blood scent. 5/5

Love this! Wet it goes on very strong. But dry it almost stays the same very yummy dragon's blood incense. My favorite incense happens to be dragon's blood so I think this is def. bottle worthy! I had a couple of friends sniff it and they also fell in love.

In imp: strong and heady

On skin: cinnamon jasmine

Dry: A heated, slightly creamy, earthy/spicy/sweet, lilac-jasminy floral. It’s not incensey, but it smells to me like a deeply-colored resin looks, pulsating and ancient and alive. It’s not very heavy on me, but find it a little boring or cloying after a while. Something about it doesn’t sit quite right, and I'd rather be wearing another scent. While it’s okay, it’s not something I’ll go to very often.

The first hit is like a wounded dragon! :twisted: If it could make a sound it would be an ear piercing primal cry. It mellows very quickly though, that top note doesn't linger at all and then it's more of a floral, incensy creature missing some scales.

in the bottle: Yep, it’s Dragon’s blood resin, but there’s a strong floral in there as well. Jasmine, I think. Or lilac. Maybe even violets. Very heady.

On the skin: Lilacs! Lots and lots of lilacs, no doubt about that! DB has receded for the moment.

Later: still lilacs, no dragon’s blood. Much later: still lilacs, looks like dragon’s blood has left the building. On the plus side, it’s a very lovely lilac. On the down side, it’s supposed to be Dragons’ blood…

Well, I do like it. But do I keep it? Will think on this one some more later.

Dragon's Blood begins and ends with a strong floral note on me, maybe lily? It's in the same family as jasmine and ylang ylang, both of which make me irritated and headachy. I gave Dragon's Blood a good try, hoping for a morph that never happened. I didn't get any kind of earthiness grounding the floral note. After about an hour, I had to scrub it off, because my skin amps this note beyond belief. :(

Ah, after reading the above reviews, I realize it is actually lilac I am smelling. Sometimes I can deal with lilac, but this one is far too heady for me.

Edited by whataboutprom

Beautiful - flowery, sweet, warm and awesome - gave me a headache of epic proportions when I wore it, but for some reason it works Extremely well as room smell when put into oil burner - I live in a smaaall, shabby apartment and after using this in my oil burner, the place smells absolutely fantastic, clean, larger and less shabby; magic :wub2:

In the imp: My exact words upon opening this for the first time were "Shit, son." This is the angriest perfume I've ever smelled, and I have smelled Wrath.

On me, wet: Warm, incensey...paste? There's just something in the background of this that doesn't agree with my nose. I'm smelling it as something reminiscent of medicine or paste or cinnamon candy. It's the same as in the imp, so it's not my skin. This just might not be my thing.

(A little later) : I absolutely cannot decide how I feel about this. I can tell my skin doesn't mess with it, because it smells exactly the same as in the imp, but I'm still not sure whether I objectively like it.

On me, dry: Oh wow, I decided. ME GUSTA. A bunch of spices and some sort of dark scent came out of nowhere and it went from pasty medicine to delicious and kind of hardcore in the space of about five minutes, and I love it now. I can deal with the initial medicinal Red Hots phase for this. :D I still feel like it would be better in a blend, though.

Later: And we're back to the powdered red hots. Nooooooo. There's definitely something juicy and warm and biting and dark and lovely in here, but I have to be actively trying to smell it--I think it smells fine but my nose just doesn't like it, or I associate it with something else. I'd totally try this in a blend anyway.

Edited by karykeion