Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

... This scent is for the Luperci, the Chosen of Faunus, the Brothers of the Wolf: raw, down and dirty patchouli, Gurjam balsam, and essence of Sampson Root sweetened with the heightened sexuality of beeswax, virile juniper, oakmoss, ambrette seed over honey and East African musk.

I was fortunate enough to receive a sniffy of Luperci in a decant circle, so I got to try something I never would have ordered because I thought it wouldn't work on me. I was right! LadyBug, I'm with you - this smells like a hotel room on me.

LUPERCI 08

In Bottle: Dirt and resin

On Skin: This is much lighter than the 2006 version. I can actually handle this… :P The patchouli is the dominant note followed by the herbal and planty notes. Very outdoorsy, very alive. The oakmoss is quite pretty and gives a very light aquatic note. The beeswax is far in the background, just a little sweetness. The musk is dark and primal, a bit animalistic. This scent to me has a dark green feel and is very masculine. As the scent develops, the beeswax and honey come out more and are very yummy! I think I’d actually wear this version, yay! This scent is also much lighter than previous versions. Light to average throw and short wearlength.

Wet, Luperci smells like honeyed musk with an edge of spice. It starts to dry down and the piney juniper berry comes forward. The patchouli doesn't dominate, it's nicely balanced - the juniper is a very interesting foil for the earthy note. The oakmoss adds a nice herbal/green undertone. This is really like looking at fine art in a museum, I'm struck by the way these notes play off eachother. It works quite nicely. I don't think I'd use a whole bottle, but I like it.

3.8 out of 5

I hope it's ok that I'm reviewing this, as I posted the 2007 review a few months ago. Feel free to delete if not :P

LUPERCI 2008

In the bottle: Earthy patchouli, balsam and oakmoss. Almost a dry and dusty dirt scent

On me: This is interesting. It reminds me of digging in the garden for planting. I can definitely smell the musk, but this is far more "neutral" and dirty than the 2007 version. Amusingly, my body is just eating it up and I can barely smell it. I definitely get patchouli and oakmoss. I think I can smell the Sampson Root, but I'm not familiar enough with the scent to pick it out. I can smell the resiny warmth of the beeswax in the background. This is so much nicer than last year's blend, at least on me. Much more feminine and earthy, with almost no "cologne"

Sniffing the bottle I get deep dark lovely earth tones as a top note. Bottom note is sweetened musk. Yum.

On my skin and dry, it totally reminds me of something I love. The balsam and patchouli are coming out and the bottom is still a nice soft sweet deep musk. Very earthy.

:P

(2008 version)

WHLEAARGHLAGL AGH AGH

BLECHT

GAH

I hate it. I hate it -so- much. It is a pitch-perfect olfactory recreation of a nursing home, from the stale scent of skin to the old grocery-store flowers in somebody's room down the hall to the linoleum wax to the rubber sheets on mattresses. It's vile. This is the precise diametric opposite of down and dirty sex. This makes me never want to have sex again.

Lobster Rating

better than: actually being in a nursing home, but goddamn, not by much

Edited by Uploaded Lobster

I love it! :P

This turned out to be my only bottle purchase of all of Lupercalia.

It reminds me a lot of Lush's Tramp with added musk and honey.

On my skin the honey and musk quickly took over and it turned super-sweet over a hint of rather masculine earthyness.

But when I put it in a locket it was something different all together, like warm, wet earth and beeswax. It actually smelled like the crocus blossoms in a pot of wet soil standing in the sun in my courtyard. :) The crocus blossoms have a deep honey-like smell. The real smell of spring.

Left in the locket for a long time the sweetness faded and the deep and masculine patchouli smell that reminds me of Tramp came through and stayed, enhanced by a bit of musk.

:D

Never added a little correction... The above review was for a decant, not for the bottle I was waiting on. Expecting to love the bottle just the same I swapped the decant away. But when I got the bottle it was a horrible powdery oakmoss mess :D I want that decant back!

Edited by ImperatrixMundi

This is for the 2008 version.

I'd never smelled any of the previous versions so I have nothing to compare this to. It's beautiful in a slightly masculine way. It has that perfumey aspect that keeps all the notes together so that I can't really pick them out individually. There's an overall grounded, sensual feeling. Sort of natural and sweet despite the perfumey quality. Sweet in a non-sugary, non-cloying sense of the word. It's a little clean too.

This feels unobtrusive---I don't notice it when I'm wearing it. It smells like something I could wear for any mood I'm in. And it smells expensive to me. I really like it!

Luperci 08

In the imp: PATCHOULI. And a bit of moss and honey. But this is heavy on the patch.

Wet on skin: deep, dark patchouli with a woodsy note, a hint of juniper, some beeswax and moss.

Dry: whilst the 06 version has aged into a wonderful earthy honeyed incense with a bit of mossy wood, and 07 was very heavy on the moss, this is all about the patchouli. There is a hint of incense to it, and the beeswax in here is wonderful, and there’s that gorgeous earthy smell like tree roots to it, along with moss. There’s also something about it which reminds me of Shanghai Tunnel, the moss maybe? I adore Luperci 06 and this is closer to it than last year’s version.

After a while: ooh, now this actually reminds me of Lush Tramp, with incense! It’s the patchouli-oak moss combination (and there’s a lot of patch here, it’s actually stronger now) but with added incense-like notes, musk and beeswax. But for some reason, I smell frankincense here too? I don’t know why I get resins here, maybe it’s the gurjum balsam? This is a very good version of Luperci on me!

This then turns into a gorgeous earthy patchouli incense with a lovely feel of ‘underground’ about it, thanks to the root-like or soil-like scent I sometimes get here.

Verdict: I’m now not sure which is my favourite Luperci, the 06 version which has aged magnificently, or this one which smells so good when fresh that I bet it’ll be incredible in a year or two. This is incredibly heavy on the patchouli, but not so much that it blots out the other notes…in fact, this smells like patchouli with incense burning in the depths of an ancient forest. Beeswax and golden resinous/spicy notes with green notes of moss and dark earthy notes. If Lush Tramp were made into incense, it would smell a bit like this, I think. After last year’s being a little too thickly damp and mossy for me, I love this version.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Yes, I got a bottle as a backup for Lup 06.

If you like this, try: Omen, Dance of Death, Goblin, Burial, Forbidding Foyer, Dream of the Fisherman’s Wife, Wild Men of Jezirat Al Tennyn

Review of the 2007 version.

Sniffed in imp: Musky, a little sharp in a medicinal-herbal way, woody, woodsy, and sweet. Definitely primal and masculine. Nicely blended and complex.

Edited by fairnymph

There's a bit of smokiness to Luperci in the imp. Of course, the florals are there, and the moss and the musk. I couldn't quite decide how I felt about it. It comes out a bit more floral than I'd like on me, and at the end of the day my husband said I was wearing too much perfume, though I had put on only as much as I usually do! Luperci lasted FOREVER on me, and while I wasn't aware of the crazy throw, I will take his word for it. He said he thought the floral smell was the woman in the car repair shop, but it turned out to be me. I don't think I'll wear this again!

ETA: 2008 version!

Edited by ViolaVanWilde

This is for the 2008 blend.

I hardly know where to start. This scent is so complex and subtle. The beeswax seems to be the top note when it is first applied, and what a friggin glorious experience I am having huffing my wrist to get more and more of that warm sweet golden smell. :P The only other notes I can detect in this olfactory magnum opus are the incredibly smooth patchouli and the East African musk, inextricably intertwined. This is so romantic.

Edited by nightbiscuit

Luperci (2008)

In the bottle, this is a very green scent. Sort of pine-y, but not Pine Sol. Must be the juniper. I get a tiny bit of the beeswax, a little musk. It's earthy and complex. A little hard to describe.

On wet, the musk is more apparent. The earthiness remains, and the juniper is more subtle. As it dries, this becomes quite subtle. My hubby says it's very complementary/similar to my natural scent. It doesn't disappear, though. This is a good one. Subtle and natural. I like it.

this is for the 2008 version:

i liked this when i first sniffed it and thought it might get better or at least have more patchouli. after having it about 4 months, it just keeps smelling like guys cologne and i couldn't find the patchouli. i tried it again, and it just made me really sick. so i swapped it.

2008 version, purchased in swaps.

Sniffing the bottle I had my doubts. The juniper fairly jumped out at me.

On me, wet, it starts off as a very green scent. Bushes and trees and leaves...and then something peeks out from behind all the green....Oh, yeah, this one has honey and beeswax.

Sniiiiiiiiiiiiifffffffffffff.......*inhales hand*

MMmmmmmm! Honey and beeswax and musk and spices with a hint of patchouli to ground it.....Winner!

I'm reviewing a sample generously gifted to me by GirlinDenial.. I'm unsure what year it is.

From Imp: Big time patchouli! Dirty, must be oakmoss.. Wood and pine forest, that's the balsam and juniper.. a bit of spice, and the slightest hint of beeswax. Walking in a musty forest... towards a beehive? ahaha

Wet: The pine-ness and beeswax immediately amp up and the patchouli lessens.

Dry: Pretty strong beeswax and honey at this point, with slight musk. Practically no woods right now.. This lasts about 10 minutes, then moves on to...

Long Wear: Patchouli and juniper reappear, with spice, and this becomes quite masculine. I don't have the odor experience some of you more experienced BPALers have, but to me this becomes what I think of as a pretty "classic" men's cologne scent.

Overall Experience: Every stage of Luperci was distinct for me. I could smell it on me all day at work, and up close I can actually still smell it on my skin 12 hrs later! (Although it's a little soapy at this point) I've worn it a few times now, and I really enjoy it when I'm alone at home and can appreciate it's different aspects. I wore it in public the first time today, and I work in very close proximity with other people, and I have to say I was a little uncomfortable with it's masculinity.. I almost washed it off. I think I would prefer to smell it on a guy, rather than myself. In fact, I think I used to date a guy that wore a body spray or something with a scent very similar to this (Emporio Armani I believe) .. :P Must be why I like wearing it to bed... and why I'm embarrassed to smell like it at work! lol

Edited by MCS4096

Oh my god. This is one of the best, sexiest, lickable BPAL's EVER!!! :P Sparkling - literally sparkling juniper over musk with hints of something like incense. Freaking amazing! I would bathe in this.

Oh man, this one is a high pitched resinous blend. It doesn't help that I'm wearing Voodoo Queen today (cuz I needed to treat myself) and it just loses in comparison. There's an element here that seems sharp and high pitched and just grating. The resinous base is nice. I just don't like the overtone to it.

sold this bottle off to a better home, so it seemed like a good time to post a review of it to help me remember why:

sniffed from the bottle: smells like cedar - i guess that would be the balsam, Sampson Root, and maybe the "raw, down and dirty patchouli" ?

on skin, once it settles down: ah, there's the beeswax. and the oakmoss. don't really get much else from this.

final thoughts: seems a much more traditionally male scent than what i tend to go for.

In the vial: Sweet & earthy. This smells very comforting.

Wet: Sweet, woodsy & earthy. This is what I imagine a forest would smell like.

Dry: This is one pine scent that I actually like. In here, the pine makes the whole scent smell fresh. Like walking into a forest after the rain. Fresh, sweet and the smell of earth.

Overall: I like this but not on me. For the room maybe.

I normally like the masculine-type scents but this was just too "cologney" for me. I don't get much beeswax, and on me, this is very herbal and a little sharpish. I don't mind it, but I'm definitely not in love with it.

Bottle: Dark, woodsy patchouli and some sweet beeswax. The patchouli is backed by a lot of the other warm woods making this very earthy and dark.

Wet: The patchouli and the beeswax are going to be the dominant notes on me. I can smell some of the musk starting to develop but despite the long list of ingredients this is winding up to be pretty simple on my skin.

Dry: Now it's beeswax and patchouli! A sweet, golden, almost honeyed smell over this deep, luscious, lascivious patchouli. Maybe a hint of juniper and definitely a nice dollop of warm musk. This is sexy! Very feral and animalistic without an overtly dirty musk.

Throw: Excellent.

Overall: I love this! It's gorgeous blend of ingredients and reading the reviews, I'm interested to see how mine will age and how the 2008 vintage will hold up to any future versions.

Decant: thick and dark. The patchouli tempered by the balsam

Wet On Me: My skin is amping the patchouli and balsam blend but in a good way

Drying Down: Juniper is coming out to play with the Patchouli and balsam. A dark sharp scent but total nose to wrist thing going on.

Dry: Total masculine vibe off this. Woodsman masculine vibe. All earthy and woody and sharp and dark but not scary. Comforting Like wearing your fella’s favorite flannel shirt in the winter!

I didnt know this existed untill going throgh a sales post and being Lupercalia-related... it was a must have for me.. what is amusing though is when this oil came out, the 06.. I posted this on my myspace...bring on the wolves!!!! it matches my sentiments that time and now, nothing has changed. (a couple weeks after that post I met my "wolfie"/hubby and its been bliss since)

anyways... on to the oil! This is on hubby cause its definately too masculine for me... I think this is by far one of the sexiest he has worn, topping geek, de sade, etc etc... it is sooo animalistic sexy. Theres also something nuzzle-ish comforting about it. Theres just something that his chemistry does to forest/woodsy things that is amazing.

I love this so much!!

This is a glorious, golden scent, like a fresh breath of cold air on a beautiful morning. Lots of juniper and oakmoss, with a nice, strong splash of patchouli. Perfect for a man, but just as yummy on a woman.