Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Em-

Thaleia

How light the strain when, decked in vernal bloom,
Thalia tuned her lyre of melody.

Thaleia the Flourishing is the Muse of Comedy and Pastoral Poetry, and shares the same name as one of the Gratiæ. She is a very down-to-Earth Goddess, and has a special fondness for rural folk. She wears a crown of ivy leaves and carries the Mask of Comedy and a shepherd’s crook. The Blooming One is the Goddess of Comedians and inspires creativity in wit and the joy and release we have in laughter. A vivacious, dazzling, merry scent: honey, ylang ylang, apricot, ciste, blood orange and gardenia with earthy, warm tonka.

I was drawn to Thaleia primarily on notes - how could I resist honey, apricot, blood orange and tonka! The overall description sealed the deal and frankly I wish that I had ordered a 5ml right off the bat.

This is a beartiful, joyous fruity scent - it is a scent of bubbling warm laughter and the earth's bounty.

On a practical level, it is definitely a scent for fruit/vanilla/tonka lovers and like these scents sometimes do, it appears to warrent slathering, as it seems to fade fairly quickly.

But it is amazing and I am thrilled to have Thaleia as my primary muse. :P

Wow! Bought a 5ml on faith and am sooooooooooo very glad that I did! In the bottle and on first application it smells like orange fresh honeycomb just out of the hive. As it dries the orange fades a bit and the apricot comes out to play. Devine. It makes me happy just smelling it. Am not really getting Tonka from the mix, it is very subtle. The ylang-ylang blends smoothly with the honeycomb scent for a mellow tangy undertone. Just wonderful.

Rating (out of 5)

woo! I love this. It is very sweet and fruity. The honey and apricot stand out the most to me. :P mmmm Everything else blends right in. Delish!

First on this is sweet, citrusy blood orange and a hint of apricot. Over the first few minutes on my skin, the blood orange disappears and the apricot takes over. It's a sweet, fruity scent. I can smell the tangy, slightly perfumey honey and ylang ylang underneath the apricot after about an hour, but I never smell any tonka. This is definitely mostly an apricot scent on me.

Thaleia is a cheery fruity blend... not really my type of fragrance, but lovely.

A lovely, light, fruity scent. This smells the most like apricot and honey on me. There is a breath of the gardenia and tonka floating underneath. It's beautiful, sweet, milky honey, that reminds me of a shower gel I used to get from Avon, Milk Made with Honey. The apricot is very sweet and sugary drizzled over the creaminess of the honey. Very pretty, but not very long lasting and not much throw. Alas, that is the way with some of my favorite florals and the lighter fruits. I really like this one and I'll enjoy using up my impie. :P

In Bottle: Sweet apricot candy.

On Skin: This scent is purely delicious. It is so sweet! Honey is my favorite note and it’s strong here. It’s like an apricot honey syrup with light orange floral sugar sprinkled on top. I am a sucker for sweet scents, but usually if they’re too fruity they don’t seem like a “fragrance” to me. This one can easily be worn as perfume and not just a room fragrance like most apricot scents seem to me. It’s very young and girly, yet still beautiful and bright. It’s very light and doesn’t overwhelm. I’d love a bottle of this, but after about a half hour it completely fades… it has no staying power on me sadly.

Very fruity and sweet. High, high notes to my nose--very sweet apricot and blood orange, mostly, at first. Warms with the honey and darker tonka note as it dries, creating a sweet and comforting blend, while still being energetic due to its fruitiness.

It's gorgeous and rounded--not really "me," though. I think I'll be passing this one on.

Thaleia

In the imp: fruity honey! It’s like apricots and oranges covered in honey.

Wet on skin: it gets tart and sharp, I’m guessing that’s a combination of orange and, yes, gardenia-the variety used in catalogue blends usually goes sharp on my skin. This reaction isn’t too unpleasant though.

Dry: I quite like this! It’s an interesting mix of sweet and sugary with a tangy twist-there’s definitely a slight astringency from the gardenia, strengthened by orange, but for now it isn’t off-putting. I get lots of honey, apricots, orange, and I also get the floral notes at this point. It’s a fresh, juicy and crisp scent with a tart bite.

After a while: the gardenia tones down into it’s nicer floral scent, and now the scent has become truly delightful. Honeyed apricots drizzled with orange juice lying on a bed of soft fragrant blossoms. It’s a lovely ‘glazed’ scent, like apricots covered with a shiny layer of honey, and brings to mind the colours gold and orange. It still has a tart edge which stops the scent from becoming over-sweet.

Then after about an hour or two, the scent is mainly honey and apricot, with a little hint of something that could be tonka.

After a few hours, I get a wonderful scent-an apricotty, softly floral scent touched by honey, it's warm and gentle and golden and I love it.

Verdict: this is a very pleasant and joyful scent, very sweet but with a juicy tartness balancing it out. I wasn’t sure what to think of the first stage which was a little bit astringent and sharp, but this eventually settles after ten minutes into a lovely honeyed fruit and floral scent which is very nice indeed, but thanks to the orange adding a crisp bite to the scent, it doesn’t become cloying or sickly sweet. It’s a glazed golden-orange scent which is sunny and carefree, and very warm. It certainly made me smile, and the floral-apricot-honey drydown is fabulous. I’m not sure if I want a bottle as I’m not sure about the first stage, but the honeyed orange and apricot smell is really growing on me!

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Initially, this reminds me of Honey Moon, a soft floral honey. I smell orange and gardenia. It is so pretty. It smells "perfumey", but I expect it to mellow out in a sec.

Five minutes later, this smells mainly of honey and apricot. This oil seems to fade a lot and I don't get any throw from it-- but it is so beautiful. I think this is absolutely a very merry scent; I find it very cheering and I'll probably buy a bottle of it. :P

In the bottle: light citrus fruits and cream

On skin: Gets extra sweet right away, which almost makes me shy away, but I give it a little time and the cream really starts to come back.

I can pick out the orange and apricot really easily, but they're not sharp, it's almost like a creamsicle.

I don't get any honey like everyone else does. I think the tonka and honey are just warming it up perfectly for me without being obvious scents. Which is good because honey doesn't usually love me.

Ah, gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!! :P

On first sniff, Thaleia's pulpy blood orange pops out, followed immediately by the juicy apricot, with lightly spicy ylang and mellow honey sitting pretty and both lovely by themselves, but singing in such harmony with the orange and apricot.

On my skin, the apricot and blood orange are front and centre still, swimming around each other, like a lightly pulpy fruit smoothie. The ylang and honey are a tad more prominent, but still very harmonious.

Out of a 5, I'd give this a 5, for prettiness, strength, throw and overall fragrance. I MUST get another bottle! :D

At first I am afraid that the apricot is going to take over this blend, being too sweet and fakey. I hung in there, though, and am glad that I did. The honey is sharp and green, and blends beautifully with the subtle white floral...clean, bright, and colorful. The tonka holds this blend together, with a buttery embrace. It reminds me a bit Caress soap, which reminds me of childhood~creamy, fresh, slightly fruity and sweet...clean. Perfect for the longing of Spring...A faerie laugh of a scent.

This is sharp orange and smooth apricot on first application, with the apricot just barely winning out. It's juicy and sweet and I can almost feel the apricot in my hand. Wow!

As it dries, the floral notes start to come into play, but for the most part, they simply lend the impression of greenery behind the fruits. I don't get any tonka at all. Although the blend does fade after a while, it stays sweet and summery throughout.

In the bottle: Wow! This smells absolutely delicious! The honey note doesn't jump out at me immediately, but the juicy apricot and blood orange do.

On my skin: Apricot and orange -- warm, yet not too sweet.

Later on: It's now all about the apricot as the orange slowly peters out.

Well I ordered this on a lark. The notes, I thought, would be much too sweet for this spice and musk lovin' girl.

I am pleasantly surprised. This is the smell of happiness and definitely of spring. When the weather gets warmer I'll have to break this out daily until I drain the imp and maybe even get a bottle.

This is sweet, but not too fruity. It's fresh and really lacking in any serious honey overtones, thank god. I don't even really smell ylang ylang, I kind of just smell everything together. It's NICE! I feel like snuggling myself.

As I coat my arm in more of this I'm thinking "ahhh the ylang ylang is there when it's fresh, but not as it dries."

Something here really reminds me of the spa I go to... which doesn't help any of you get a sense of it though. I think there might just be a touch of floral and hair product in there, but really, it doesn't make the scent bad.

at first: sharp citrus with a touch of something sweet.

on: mostly blood orange and apricot. very pretty.

1 hour later: sweeter. this is mostly honey with a bit or citrus.

2 hours later: just generally sweet.

3 hours later: mostly honey, with some flowers.

overall: too much honey on me.

I had a lot of hope for Thaleia, given how much I love honey, apricot and tonka, but the orange (which is also nice) overpowers all the others, so I come off smelling like a super-sweet orange with this one. I may have to try it again in a week or so to give body chemistry a chance to change... but so far the only muse that's working well for me is Calliope.

ADDED 11/17/07:

Thaleia was included as a free imp in my most recent order, and I'm glad it was because, while I'd tried several of the muse scents and liked a couple of them (Calliope and Cleo), I shied away from Thaleia because of the fruit scents. Fruits don't tend to work on me, though that's much less true of apricot (I love Depraved). At any rate, the fruits stay in the background when I apply this one -- they're there but not overpowering, and the apricot and blood orange blend together in a lovely, light way. Honey and ylang are dominant, with the tonka adding depth and stability to the sweetness. Very nice.

I got this in a swap from kittyflop (I'm a poet and don't know it).

I was surprised to sniff my wrist and smell - honey! I adore the bpal honey note but somehow never found this scent, and what? It's a catalog scent? Eeeeek! :P

So first the honey note is prominent, along with a strong citrus from the blood orange. At some point it becomes a little soapy, this is probably the gardenia and ylang ylang, but the apricot, blood orange, and honey come back. Right now they're all balanced. I can't tell if it is too soapy of a scent or not. It reminds me of those little powdery white things my Mom would buy to dissolve under hot bath water, but not in a bad way at all.

It is definitely one of the less sweet honey notes, which is refreshing in my rainbow of honey choices.

Thaleia: sweetened citrus. The honey and blood orange are leaders here.

On: this is great! The blood orange smells almost like grapefruit on me, though not quite. The throw is gingery. Quite lovely!

Dry: Fades considerably to a bland floral. I need to try this again, to see I can get the wet stage to stick around longer. If it does, this one will be a definite 10ml!

The apricot and Blood Orange are very evident when I put my nose against my wrist, but for some reason the ambient scent is, for me, sugar and mint with a hint of citrus. I love the close to the wrist smell, not so excited about the ambient one.

At first Thaleia is a mostly sweet apricot and honey scent on me with a bit of orange and tonka. I'm not sure what ciste smells like and I'm sure the ylang ylang and gardenia are in there somewhere, but it's mostly sweet and fruity. This scent makes me happy, giddy even... it's definitely vivacious, dazzling, and merry like the description says. A bit later it has calmed down a bit and it's like the apricot melted and covered everything else; I don't get much of the other notes as much now. I think this smells too apricot-y for me.

In the imp: orange so pure it makes my mouth water!

On my skin: Oooo, apricots and a hint of orange. And maybe.. . .yes, some gardenia.

Drydown: very sparkly, like apricot wine or lemonade, with that amazingly realistic orange scent lurking in the background to keep this fresh and eye-opening.

Overall: Like a lot of fruit scents on me, it fades quite quickly, but it's so beautiful that a bottle is more than likely to sneak its way into my next order.

Wow! I think I'm in love!!! :P Thaleia is a delectable blend of tropical citrusy suagrs! I'm craving something yummy to eat just smelling this blend. I am definately going to need a big bottle of this.....or maybe two!!! Bravo!!!

Edited by nancybridget

In the imp: Sweet and earthy fruity/floral combo.

Wet on me: The fruity sweetness mellows to a happy, sparkly scent.

Drydown: Lovely bright smelling blood orange/apricot blend with the lovely flowers hugging it and a touch of honey providing the sweetness. Very light, feminine and pretty.

Verdict: While Urania is likened to evening in the rain, Thaleia is like sunshiney morning walking, wait no, skipping thru an orange/apricot grove. I can see a bottle in the future.

Edited by mandragora