Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Jezebel

Biblical witch, priestess of Astarte, and general troublemaker. A true role model for today's upwardly mobile Modern Woman. A gloriously decadent blend of honey, roses, orange blossom and sandalwood.

Oooof. Really strong and sweet in the imp. A mix of the honey and roses respectively. I'm really not sure how well this will work on me. I'm hit and miss with honey and rose notes, and anything -wood tends to amp like crazy on me.

Hmm. This is actually better on my skin than I imagined. The orange blossom comes out on my skin and adds something very interesting to the blend. Nothing amps too much in this blend. The honey is quite strong, with hints of the other notes. Kind of like honeyed flowers over Baklava or something. Very decadent.

This is another one of those bpal blends that I like a lot, think is very interesting and beautiful, but don't imagine I would ever wear it...it just doesn't seem like "me," but I'm going to put this on my maybe list. I think I prefer O as a honey blend, but this one works on my far better than I imagined it would! Yum! Edited by Shollin

Sickly sweet. Smells like baby sick (sorry!)

Wet: Warming up now, but still very sweet honey smell, touch of orange blossom and sandalwood.

Dry: mainly honey and sandalwood, occasional whiffs of the orange blossom. Not an unpleasant smell, just too sweet for my nose. Smells a bit like honey on hot toast to me :P

Verdict: I knew that I wasn't a foodie smell kinda gal, but I didn't think that the honey would be as dominant as it is. I can understand that this may be an appealing smell to some (and I do love honey), but I really don't like smelling of food. :D

Marks out of 10: 3

Imp: Promising. Sweet rose scent.

Wet: Oh, no. Nooooo! This just goes instantly sour and unpleasant.

Dry: The sourness continues. It's just unpleasant and gross and disagrees with my chemistry. I can't even pinpoint the culprit, because all the notes have behaved in other blends.

Throw: It hates my skin, of course you can smell it ten feet away.

Overall: Not cool, skin. Not cool.

Honeyed rose fruit that just blossoms on my skin...even my husband, at the great risk of me buying a bottle, said "Mmm, I like it a lot." Of course he also thought it smelled like apple juice! :P Er, it doesn't. But it's delicious and seductive, and I like it a lot, too.

ETA: I just realized, this is my 300th review! Sniff, sniff.

Edited by savage_rose

In bottle/imp: Thick, sweet honey with a lot of rose petals swirled throughout.

Immediately on skin: Usually I smell powder with the lab’s honey note immediately, but this one smells like real honey. It is combined with fragrant roses and a soft floral note that is probably the orange blossom (light and sweet). It’s a thick and golden flowers and honey scent.

After a little while: This still smells like thick sweet honey swirled with roses and light orange blossoms, but now an undertone of warm sandalwood has joined the blend. It’s very golden and warm and the blend itself smells thick, like real honey. It’s sweet, but the rose tempers the sweetness of the honey well.

Overall Impressions: This is one of the first lab blends with honey in it that actually smells like real honey to me… I’m impressed! The scent is lovely; it’s thick and rich and bursting with sensual rose and light hints of orange blossom. The sandalwood is a very nice base to this. I don’t really love the smell of honey anyway (at least not in perfumes or bath products) so I probably wouldn’t wear this, but I definitely recommend it to people who love honey scents.

Jezebel

Bottle: honey, orange blossom and soft roses.

Wet: honey, orange blossom, soft roses and sandalwood. mmmmmm

Dry: the orange blossom fades and I get soft honey, sweet sandalwood with a hint of soft spicy roses.

Gorgeous. I am a big fan of honey and orange blossom – but NOT roses, and sandalwood has a tendency to go all pencil shavings, so I was surprised that this worked so well on me. These are nice soft roses, not a-dozen-long-stem-in-your-face-red-roses.

Jezebel is one of my top 10! My Husband likes it too, so that makes it even better!

And here I thought I hated roses...Jezebel is all honey-rose deliciousness, but light and airy instead of staid and oppressive, as I usually find roses, and the sandalwood doesn't poof out into powder.. this is a little sweet for me to wear very often, but it is a gorgeous scent.

In the bottle: HONEY and fruity orange blossom; I picture slices of ripe orange in pools of honey scented with blossom. Very sweet, almost candied.

Wet: Possibly even sweeter, almost like bubblegum. Orange flavoured bubblegum, artificial and cloying. I'm beginning to suspect lotus and vanilla. Maybe there is a single rose petal, somewhere, drowning in the fake syrupiness? Despite the intense sweetness there's a dryness, that when I focus, is clearly sandalwood.

Dry: Okay, so no vanilla, but I'm still betting on lotus as the cause of the overwhelmingly bubblegum note. A distinct root beer note - sarsparilla - has emerged. Otherwise, not much different from wet. Maybe three drowning rose petals now?

Later: Amber, is that you? Again? Are you following me around today?

Summary: Extremely sweet and cloying honey, bubblegum, root beer and dry sandalwood, with faint hints of orange and orange blossom. Eventually, powdery, possibly from amber. Strong throw. I imagine this would last forever too but I couldn't tolerate it for long before running to the sink.

Wet: bubblegum? Whaaaa?

Dry: Smells like honey and orange blossom.

It's sweet and floral and slightly fruity. Ultra-feminine and soft, which doesn't exactly fit my personality, but I really like this anyway. A really good scent for spring, I think.

8.5/10

Another frimp.

Imp: Nice enough, I suppose. Honey and rose.

Wet: Rose. Yay :P

Dry: Rose. For once, it didn't turn into that fake rose hand lotion smell, which is a mark in its favor, but I'm generally meh on smelling like this. Pleasant enough if you like rose. I don't.

I definitely get the honey in this one. I find it a little hard to distinguish honey in other BPAL blends, for example, O. This is a rich, thick honey with a hint of fruityness. A sexy scent. I honestly don't get much rose in this one. As the scent dries down the honey note starts to disappear and the scent becomes more perfumey.

Wet -- orange blossom air freshener? Some kind of sweet fruity air freshener. It is a thick very sweet scent of orange blossoms and honey.

5 minutes -- OK, now it has settled down a little. It is an unusual scent. Smells very attention-getting by virtue of its unusualness. It is sexy not by pumping out overtly sexy or spicy notes but just by being heavily sweet and a little strange. There is another note lurking in the sweetness, something ugly.

10 minutes -- That ugly note buried in the sweetness is the rose and sandalwood. How strange. Usually I like rose. The sweetness has calmed down a bit to a “hot honey” smell. It smells a bit rotten.

1/2 hour -- It is much better now, I can see the appeal. The rose and sandlewood have come out a bit more and no longer smell ugly they are balancing out the honey-sweetness.

drydown -- I think the orange blossom not just didn't work on my skin. It was not a convincing note on me, remained fake and overly-sweet. I may try it again in a much smaller quantity as I put a good toothpick-tips worth on my wrist. I should just learn to stick with cooler more reserved scents.

Edited by Myrrha

I love honey and orange blossom and got this in the hope that they would be the dominant notes. Alas, this is ALL rose and sandalwood on me. There's something a bit sharp and green and medicinal under there too. Like a bowl of potpourri at a doctor's office. Ick. :P

In the bottle: Honey and sweet citrus (orange, upon checking the notes from my description)

Initial application: Roses show up upon skin contact--this is all rose at arm's-length, and honeyed, greeny rose close up.

After a while: Roses, indistinct--distant orange with a flowery tone (orange blossom), some honeyed sweetness. Roses have a freshness that keep it from being too cloying.

Eventually: Roses--dried roses, maybe a touch of sandalwood toward the end.

This was what I initially noted when I tried Jezebel the first time. Today I'm wearing it again, and I think I applied it too heavily, because for the first four hours I felt like I was floating in a cloud of rose and orange blossom. I have the headache to prove it! When I sniff my wrists I get the sweet honey scent, but I'm wafting pure floral.

I like the scent as a whole, but I think I'm going to have to apply this with caution from now on, in order to avoid a floral overload. A little goes a looooong way...

I'd forgotten the scent description, so when I opened the imp and honey wafted out, I was pleasantly surprised!

Wet on my skin, this was a deliciously sweet, non-foody, and well blended honey-floral.

Then the orange started to poke out in a subtle way, which was lovely. I went back and read there is rose in this blend, but it's behaving as well. The honey is perhaps beating them into submission? But the honey isn't in-your-face either.

It seems to be fading fast on my skin, but it's really a beautiful blend. This is another scent I've had on my wishlist from the beginning, yet never tried! It's definitely a keeper imp, and maybe with time, I'll even want a bottle!

In The Bottle

Honey, moderate rose and a touch of orange.

On Application

Orange first off and then rose joins in quickly

Dry Down

I can smell each of the individual notes on this initially and, suprisingly, they seem to play well together. Sadly, it doesn't take long for the rose to bully the others into submission. :P

Rating (0-5)

Another warm, sweet and spicy frimp from the lab. This one has been on my "maybe" list for a while - I'm very wary of rose because I tend to amp it, but the honey and the orange keep it from overloading my olfactory gears. In fact, the orange plus the rose is an interesting combination and I keep inhaling it every minute or two, trying to wrap my brain around it.

I don't think this is a bottle purchase, but it's a fascinating scent that I'm glad I got to try.

This is all gorgeous golden orange-scented honey and blooming roses. It is so feminine and just a touch foodie on me, like a creamy orange dessert of some kind because it is quite sweet. The sandalwood grounds this one nicely and the rose is not overly floral on me at all. Jezebel is a fascinating female in history and this is a blend that matches her well. It is very subtle and just vaguely powder-ish. I dont get any greenness or any medicinal qualities, just a glowing warmth that makes this one of my all-time favorite BPALs.

Wet in imp- Strong honey, roses and sandalwood.

Wet on skin - Very little honey, more roses and sandalwood.

Dry on skin - more of an undertone of orange blossom, still sandalwood, less roses.

I'll probably trade this one because I don't particularly care for the roses and I would prefer more of a honey smell.

This was a beautiful blend, I will have to order it again as my imp got stolen :P It reminded me a little of O, but more floral. It settled close to the skin, and was a warm and delicious scent. The honey and sandalwood made for an entoxicating combo.

In the bottle: Super sweet cough syrup or a very sweet fruit punch. I wan't sure if I even wanted to try it on, but I did, and I'm glad!

After 30 minutes: It smells of honey and faint traces of powdery rose(?) or another delicate flower. It's lovely, very feminine. I put on just a little, but it smells strong, and the honey radiates from my skin. Next time I should put on less. But, the strength doesn't give me a headache. It's honey sweet and I can't stop smelling myself!

The next morning: Yes, finally! A lovely smell that lasts...and lasts....and lasts! I still smell the honey! I only shower in the mornings, so I didn't wash off the Jezebel from the day before, and I woke up sniffing my hair becuase it smelled gorgeously of honey!

This smell lasts on me. And nothing usually does. I end up reapplying perfumes all day long becuase scents just don't stay on me. But I need to buy another bottle of this!

Edited by Caerphilly

In the Imp: All oranges and honey! Weird... orange blossom doesn't usually smell of oranges to me.

On the Skin: Delicious. Must not lick the bpal. Mmmm. Oranges and Honey.

After a While: Aha! Here's the rose - oranges, roses, and honey... wow.

Verdict: Spectacular, I deeply covet a bottle of this. Mmmm!

Pretty! I got this as a frimp from the lab.

In the imp, it's pretty much just honey and a hint of the minerally candy-orange that comes with chewable aspirin and kids' vitamins. Not in a bad way, though. There's a big blast of orange when I put it on. The honey balances it out after a while, and I finally smell just a little rose once it starts to dry. I can't find any sandalwood, though, unless it's the slightly dry note I smell when I put my hand right up to my face.

I like this. It's very simple but without being dull. It's a nice late spring/early summer scent, I think.

Whoof, has quite a throw, too. So now I'm just about to meet someone for lunch, and I have a big old splotch of Jezebel on one hand and a big old splotch of Al-Azif--supa-sweet incense that also throws like anything--on the other. Go me!

In the bottle: Tangy honey. This is positively mouth-watering.

Wet: The rose comes up right away, followed by the sandalwood, as the honey recedes. It still smells sweet-tangy, though.

Twenty minutes: Rose-honey. I like it, but it may be too sweet.

One hour: Rose-honey still, but there's more of a base now. I think it's the sandalwood; it's a bit powdery, dryer than the rest of the scent.

Two hours: Still get rose-honey, but fainter. The sandalwood is coming up a bit more now, perhaps because the honey no longer has that orange-blossomy note.

Three hours: In air conditioning, this has a tangy honey scent a bit reminiscent of "Skuld." In the heat and humidity it's harder to smell.

Five hours: Fallen off to something very faint now, a breath of sandalwood glazed with honey.

The next time I wore it, a less hot and humid day, it was all rose-honey. I really like this one; it smells almost artless, like the innocence of early summer.

Vial: Wow, that's a lot of fruity sweetness. Smells like fruity chewing gum. There's a bit of sandalwood on the tail end.

Wet: Now it smells like sour apple Bubblicious gum on me. Very sugary-fruity.

Dry: The sandalwood's finally moved up front, but then it turns a little powdery. The bubblegum smell has faded. I liken the drydown smell to orange drink that's evaporated in the afternoon sun, leaving sugary crystalline traces on a glass table.

I think I only like honey notes when they're fermented and orange blossom when couple with white florals and resins. Together they just cause a riot on my skin and irritates my nose.