Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Jezebel

Biblical witch, priestess of Astarte, and general troublemaker. A true role model for today’s upwardly mobile Modern Woman. A gloriously decadent blend of honey, roses, orange blossom and sandalwood.

Jezebel-

In Bottle: A very sweet pretty smell--honey and orange blossom for sure!

Wet: The orange blossom amps; I feel that there's something amberish about this.

Dry: This is a sweet-not-quite-cloying powdery floral with an amber-honey tone to make it quite delicious. A really lovely, juicy scent.

Overall: I like a lot!

Edited by steffanina

This is really pretty. It starts out with a heavy dose of honey and orange blossom with the rose peeking through. The sandalwood comes out about 15 minutes later and adds a lovely woodsy spiciness and now the rose is the stronger of the two florals. This is a beautiful creamy blend.

imp: orange honey!!

skin: ...orange honey! i can faintly pick out some rose.

i'm soo glad i got this as a frimp, as it was on my to-buy list. now i know i can safely buy a bottle of it. <3

BPAL's honey blends tend to go a little sour on me and this one is no exception. This one smells just like Alice on me but with a dash of sandalwood tossed in.

In the bottle: Sharp rose and something else sweet. I assume this is the honey but I hadn't read the description when I first tested it.

First on: ROSES!! Much rose but not overwhelmingly so. Unfortunately there was something sour there too. I almost washed it off at that point but I'm glad I didn't because then it turned powdery.

Dry down: The powdery rose smell is still there but now it's starting to smell like my beloved Alice but with roses and less milk. I'm not getting the sandalwood at all which is so odd because normally it either HATES me or (very rarely) it loves me.

Conclusion: It's not spectacular and it smells quite a lot like Alice but it's a nice soft, alluring scent. And who wouldn't want to wear a scent called Jezebel?! It makes me feel seductive! I will definitely try this one again. :P

In the bottle:

This smells really nice. Like really nice. I'm mostly getting the orange, honey, and a hint of rose.

Wet:

Citrus and floral working beautifully together with just a hint of foody. I love how the rose and orange are blending, and I'm surprised they do it so well.

Dry down:

It's a little bit like Hunger, with rose instead of vanilla. By this, I mean, the orange peel feel - it's nothing like Snake Oil. Perfumey, but unusual. The rose is definitely there, but I wouldn't describe this as "floral." The orange peel is definitely there, but it's definitely not "citrus." I'm still really impressed at how well the orange and rose go together.

Final thoughts:

I like it, but not enough to bump it into my favorites just yet. I think it might be a little bit better aged a bit, though... or maybe it's my chemistry today :P I'll try it again later.

I would have thought this would be far too floral for me -- rose in particular tends to amp tremendously on my skin, so I have to be very careful of blends containing it. But the rose here is nicely balanced by the other notes, and not dominant at all.

The strongest note I get from it is actually the honey -- overall it's more reminiscent of O than anything. The florals just add a bit of complexity and make the scent richer, and the sandalwood grounds it nicely, keeping it from being overwhelmingly sweet.

Overall, quite nice, and not nearly as overwhelmingly girly as I'd feared. It seems to be slightly in the same ballpark for me as Desire, Magdalene, Gypsy Queen and the Masque, though less complex than the latter two. These are all basically floral-containing scents that actually work fairly well on me, because the flowers are balanced with things that keep them from stomping all over the rest of the scent.

I don't know if Jezebel is enough of a standout to be worth keeping when I already have most of the above, but it's nice enough that I'm certainly considering hanging onto it. It's also a gentle enough scent that it doesn't require the "apply with caution" note to self that GQ and (especially) the Masque do -- it stays fairly close to the skin, which is nice when you don't want to overwhelm people with your scentedness.

Yep... I think it's a keeper. And one I would never have picked for myself from the description. Thank the gods for random fragrance experimentation at meet'n'sniffs... :-)

Grade: B+

Overly sweet, cloying, and a bit play-doh in the vial. On, it is not as bad as that. There is also... saffron? something in Scherezade. *looks up notes* no notes are in both blends, hm. It definitely has that middle eastern air to it. It is very well blended and difficult to pick out individual notes, but I think that the result might be a little too sweet for me... I normally can do honey, but in this case it goes a bit weird.

On drydown the rose is apparent, but, still, too sweet for me *shrug*

At the beginning Jezebel was gorgeous - warm, slightly spicy oranges and the perfect bland of florals.

But then, WHAM, baby powder. It was so strong that people in my class started to comment on it, and I didn't even slather!

(of course, I pretended not to know what they were talking about.)

Smelled nice in the imp, but the notes, all of which normally work on me except for rose (which is often my mortal enemy) somehow combined on my skin to smell like a combination of baby powder and cat urine. Ew.

I bought this for the honey, and it's not disappointing me. In fact, this is one of the honey-est blends with a honey note in it that I've found in the GC. The roses and orange blossom add sweet florals to the honey. I don't really detect the sandalwood, but perhaps it will come out a bit as this continues to dry throughout the day.

At First: Gorgeous sweet honey and orange blossom. It's very pretty but not too girly. The honey note is quite strong and I can detect some sandalwood.

Dry Down: The rose starts to show itself. The other notes are still there but it's mostly rose.

Hours Later: It's turned to a musky, soapy rose with only a hint of the initial sweetness.

I really liked this at first but it's looking like I can't wear scents with rose. Every scent that I try with rose turns almost burnt and musky :P I had to wash it off.

It smelled really nice in the imp, but the second it hit my skin it was pure unadulterated powder. Instead of fading after a few moments on my skin like a lot of blends tend to do, it gains intensity. My whole house reeks of baby powder now. :P

And of course it doesn't seem to want to come off of my wrist after a long shower.

Edited by spring heel

At first, all honey. Then the orange starts to come out and I think, wow I really like this. Only the slightest hint of rose, luckily.

But the all of a sudden, BAM! Baby powder. :P

Off to swaps.

In bottle: fruity and a bit of floral

Wet: considers becoming bubblegum but decides against it and turns to dried flowers and dusty woods floating in juice.

Dry: Now it all turns to very complex powder. It’s not bad powder, although perhaps it’s a bad girl’s powder. Floral, dry, airy powder suspended in a three dimensional space. The power left suspended in the air of a 1940’s noire star’s room right before she goes to seduce the hero. I’m not sure it’s really me, but it’s fun and different from the other BPAL I’ve tried so far. Much more interesting than I was expecting from it wet.

Later: Stays remarkably true, even through dishwashing!

Summary: Fun but I’m willing to trade. I’ll probably give it one more try though.

JezebelSS.jpg

Honey, when it's listed as the top note, doesn't usually do too well on me; it's too rich, too sweet for my nose, and totally smothers anything else in the blend. I normally end up washing it off and moving on. However, Jezebel has changed my mind about honey top notes, oh yes!

In the imp: Honey, but with an underlying sweetness which must be the orange blossom. I totally love eating orange blossom honey on toast, and this smell reminds me I didn't have breakfast this morning. (this review was started late Sunday morning.)

Wet on skin: Still honey, but the orange blossom seems to keep the heavy sweetness in check very nicely for my nose.

Dry: oh my living Goddess! The rose and jasmine notes have come forward, and combined with the honey and orange blossom, this is one of the most seductive scents I've tried so far! The husband, sitting next me on the loveseat, suggested we return to the bedroom "for a while." Hee!

Verdict: This is a keeper, and I want a bottle. Not that my love life needs any help right now, but a little liquid insurance never hurt anyone. If you know what I mean, and I think you do.

Is it a keeper? see above.

Added Monday morning: Before he left for work, Mr. Stellans suggested I wear 'that good-smelling stuff again tonight.' oh, yeah ...I want a bottle now!

Edited by stellans

Immediately, I get a sweet note and beautiful powdery florals! The sweet note is no doubt the honey and it mingles with the other scents here and smells slightly tropical. There is a slight antiseptic-like note becomes slightly evident in powdery notes which thankfully does not become more prominent. This is more stunning when applied in warmer weather as body heat seems to amplify the beautiful sweet notes. This was the first imp I gobbled up and would love to get a 5mL!

In the bottle, it's a lovely warm fruity honey but after about an hour, it has morphed into baby powder on me. I don't dislike it but I don't think I'll buy the bottle.

For some reason, this smells like powder, both in the imp and on my skin. It smells llike a luxurious expensive powder, sweet and pretty, but none of the notes particularly stand out. It lasts a long time and it has great throw, but alas it's not for me.

In the bottle, what leapt out at me was the scent of sweet flowers (jasmine and honeysuckle), tempered by an almost spicy earthy note, either sandalwood or patchouli. I guess the sweet and somewhat odd earthy note came from the honey. The orange comes through, but not so much the rose. I just got a generic "floral" sense.

I thought it was lovely in the bottle, "pretty" and a little bit flirty but grown up. Someone else described it as "womanly", which I think is perfect. The scent in the bottle is very strongly sweet, but I figured that would soften to something very nice on skin.

And on my skin it did soften, right down to almost nothing. Unfortunately, this is one that just doesn't work for me.It instantly turns to sandalwood (my skin really amps earthy bottom notes), and the way it meshes with the honey is very weird. Or perhaps it's just the honey itself that I'm not liking on my skin. But sweet earthy must isn't really up my alley, so...

Oh well. I didn't leave it on long enough to see how well it aged, because after an hour or two I was tired of it and washed it off. Definitely not something I like, as a personal perfume. I'm going to try it a room fragrance, because I do love the scent in the bottle.

If O is heavy, sticky, amber-y honey, then Jezzie is light, flowery, powdery honey. The springtime counterpart to winter's O. It gets a little more powdery than I'd like after a couple of hours, but it's still so sweet and light that I don't mind.

I couldn't make up my mind in one of my first imp orders between this and O, so I asked the lab to pick one. They sent Jezebel and I added O to my next order and ended up loving both!

Jezebel starts out with a thick, rich honey (like the honey note in O). I next get a lush, sweet honey-dipped rose with orange. Once Jezebel is completely dry, its honey and sandalwood. Jezebel is a sexy, feminine scent and I'm loving it, its a top favourite now. :P

Edited by TheIceMaiden

In the imp and fresh on my skin, it smells... funny. But not "oh one of the notes is off" funny, more like "are those notes even IN here?" funny. Not good or bad, just exceedingly strange.

And then I recognize it WHAM BABY POWDER. Oh. It's honey that does that on me, I guess. The more you know, etc.

Wet: It smells a heckova lot like O. A weaker version. With oranges. So so good.

Dry: Unlike O, this doesn't stick around long at all. It's slightly powdery, which is weird. All that's left is a faint amount of orange, as if my skin is teasing me. It just eats anything with an orange note and says, "sorry, you can't have it. Nyah nyah." If I slathered it on, it probably would stick around better.

Guh, it smells so good when it's wet though :P I'm gonna have to come back to this review if I can actually get it to stick.

EDIT: Well now it's making me sneezy, WTF. I really wanted to love it.

Edited by Chickie