Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
paperdoll

Forbidden Fruit

As light and innocent as your first time should have been. The fresh scent of lotus hidden behind lightly scented flowers, amber, and citrus.

imp: amber with light florals and something else... strangely enough, this does have a scent that makes me think of sex...

wet: there's an almost candy-sweet note to the florals here. my husband thinks it smells kinda like juicy fruit gum.

dry: long gone are the sweet notes, here to stay is the lotus. lots and lot of lotus. overpowering lotus. lotus.

Imp: Ripe, juicy fruits

On: Slightly squooshy, overripe fruit. What to do?

How should I put this… I kind of like it, because it reminds me of summer time--fruit on the edge of being too ripe--but once it's dried down on my skin, it becomes soured, with an unhappily rancid edge.

In the imp, this struck me like a hammer. A delicious, lush, fruity hammer, but a hammer all the same. This is the kind of scent I would like to eat if it were really fruit. It is golden and sunny, but like round, ripe fruits, just shy of the turn to over-ripe. I disliked it in the bottle.

On, wet: Pretty much the same, fruity and lovely but almost too lush and ripe. So much lotus. It's pretty much exactly what the name implies - lush fruitiness that's almost unbearable in its sweetness. Gets slightly soapier as it dries.

Dry: Soapy, slightly empty.

After ten minutes: Actually rather nicer, though its dried to a powdery amber with a slight fruity overtone. Fading into a soft scent where I was afraid of it being very aggressive, judging by the scent in the bottle.

Despite my tendency towards the fruity and floral, this is really not one for me. I like the lotus notes, but I think I would prefer them in another kind of blend. This scent is very appropriate for its theme, but sadly almost too faithfully for me. Very pretty scent, though :P

this was a frimp, and not something i would have picked myself.

in the bottle it smells, light, sweet, and fruity. very much like candied fruit. i don't get so much of a citrus scent as i do sweeter fruits- apples, berries maybe.

first application- still very fruity, and sweet. i can already tell this scent will be too light for me.

dry, the lotus and other floral are coming through very nicely and blending with the fruit to form a light and very sweet scent, fresh, cheerful, sunny. i can't detect the amber at all, unless it's just tempering the other scents.

this is a *lovely* scent. i don't get the 'bubblegum' smell that some people have mentioned, nor does it smell at all childish or even too youthful. it's perfect for a spring day, or anyone that wants something sweet and not too heavy.

that said, it's not one i'd wear again. it is far too light for my chemistry and fruit scents are not really my style. it is a beautiful blend though, and i'd highly recommend it for anyone who loves the smell of a flowering orchard on a warm spring day.

In the imp: Soft citrusy floral.

Wet: Melon?? Okaaaay... Ok, no more melon. I smell a light, innocent citrus which is perhaps grapefruit, but I really can't tell what sort of citrus it is. It's gentle and sweet, not tart or sour at all. Lotus is the dominant floral, indeed the dominant note in general. There's also a creamy note here.

Dry: A very gentle scent. Really fits the description. It becomes predominantly lotus with just a hint of cream and citrus.

Forbidden Fruit is a sweet floral bubblegum of a scent (on me). A jasminebubblegum :P

It reminds me of something I can't place, something out of my childhood.

A nice blend, but not something that is "me".

On me, Forbidden Fruit is lotus flower and lemon. Since lotus morphs on me, it's actually bubblegum and lemon. Someone else can have this.

In Vial: sweet floral

Wet: smells like candy with a cooling sensation, mixed with a floral.

Drydown: This was a strong floral for a few minutes but has now lightened considerably. I never did smell the amber or citrus but the floral is there all the way through. I would say this is mostly a delicate floral.

Forbidden Fruit is a sweet floral bubblegum of a scent (on me). A jasminebubblegum :P

I have to ditto this! I don't know that jasmine is in this for sure, but when I first put this on, I definitely GOT jasmine vibes from it. That quickly faded into the bubblegummy lotus. Lotus is fairly predictable on me, in that it tends to smell like bubblegum, but it has different outcomes depending on what it's paired with. Sometimes I enjoy it, and other times I don't. Unfortunately, the jasmine vibe with this makes this one of the times that I don't. But I can imagine smelling this one someone else and thinking it was nice. It's just not really me!

In bottle/imp: Lotus, champaca, and a light breath of candied orange.

Immediately on skin: This is a sweet scent with lotus and candied citrus, but it also has a smokiness to it that reminds e of champaca flower. That may be the lotus and amber working together, but it really does remind me of that note. Plus the citrus, that is.

After a little while: The champaca feel has faded, and now what I smell is lotus and maybe some lily and jasmine and sugary citrus. Lotus is a very identifiable note but is very hard to explain, but it makes up the base of this blend. Wafting above is a mix of soft, innocent flowers and citrus. The amber is there, but it acts more as a blending agent than anything else, smoothing out the whole blend.

Overall Impressions: This is one of those blends where it smells exactly like you expect from the description. The lotus is the base of this, and on top sits soft floral notes and a little citrus. The amber is mixed among everything else, smoothing it out and giving the whole blend a bright feel.

In the imp: little amber, little florals, little lotus. Nicely balanced.

On me, wet: hellooooo fruit. There's a brief period where I smell like Hi-C or something. It's a little alarming, but never fear...

On me, dry: ... it mellows out as it dries and I no longer have a strange Kool Aid craving. What's left after the big fruit smell burns off is a really nice, gentle lotus and amber scent. This is probably one of the better lotus scents for people who are freaked out by lotus... it doesn't seem particularly bubble gummy or sweet here. Just nice and pretty.

Throw and duration: throw's on the low end, but duration's average good. I got about six hours out of this.

Overall: Very pretty. I don't think there's anything else in my collection quite like it, and I do love lotus and amber, so I'll probably hang on to my imp.

In the imp, this is lightly floral - with just the faintest hint of citrus.

On my skin, it's slightly sour. :P There's definitely something off here.

When it dries, the sourness has gone away - this is just a very light, definitely innocent blend of light florals with just a hint of citrus. Nice, but not for me.

Sniffed in imp: Bubblegum-sweet lotus, slightly soapy white flowers, powdery amber, orange citrus of some type - mandarin perhaps. Warm, golden, powdery floral.

I can only imagine the bad things that would happen on my skin. :\

Edited by fairnymph

Ooo this one is very good. Light and fruity. It is kind of hard to pick out what fruits notes that are in this though. Oh maybe orange! Yes, a sweet juicy orange...one that is vibrantly orange...and maybe strawberry? Yummy! Full bottle worthy.

This has jasmine in it. I've been having good luck with jasmine lately, but unfortunately the variation in Forbidden Fruit is the kind that turns the whole blend rancid. It's a shame, because I can smell good things going on -- there's some lush, juicy fruit in the background, but the jasmine funk is too overpowering to consider wearing this. Isn't skin chemistry awesome?

1/5

This is such a fun happy blend. It reminds me of a combination of how I remember Clinique Happy (which was my scent in college many years ago...lol) and Juicy Fruit gum. I don't get floral from it really more of a candy note.

Hm. I like amber, I like lotus, and I like citrus, but this just doesn't work for me.

In the bottle it's candy sweet, but there's something kind of off about it. I think I'm mostly getting really strong lotus and some kind of citrus. I'm not really sure what.

When I first put it on I get a big rush of orange, with the lotus catching up to it a minute later, and there's a tang of amber to it. The combined effect is somewhere between headshop and chewable aspirin.

It does mellow as it dries, but the lotus is still pretty overbearing. Not terrible, but not something I foresee using a whole lot. Do like the mellow warm skin note that remains after it's been dry for a while, but overall this is a big "meh."

This one was horrible on me (and it smelled so nice in the imp!)--the lotus in it is probably the strongest, most dominating lotus note I've ever tried and none of the other notes ever even had a chance. I can stand a little bit of lotus but too much is not a good thing on my skin.

Wet: lotus and fruit

Dry on my skin: Lotus and fruit, very strong aquatic lotus... and fruit. Any amber or other floral is burried by the lotus. It is a very heavy scent.

Three hours later: Lotus seems to have finally died down, now I get sweet fruit and light floral. It is a very soft and nice fragerance...too bad this didn't start out as "light and innocent" as the first time.

I think i'm going to age this one a bit, try it again in a few months and then pass it on if it still tries to kill me with lotus.

If someone is a fan of lotus, this would be a good one for them, it's just not for me.

in the imp: sweet candy fruit :D

wet on skin: more of the same- reminds me of this hippy solid scent my mom had when i was a baby- it was supposed to remind one of Hawaii or something. oh, the 70's. anyway, this does have that "tropical island" energy about it. sweet, fruity, and the florals have a strong gardenia emphasis.

dry down: same, with the fruit outweighing what i believe to be the lotus bit.

in all: this fades on me MUCH too fast- i found i had to spruce it up with a little Pink Moon to extend it's life. but it's a really divine scent, so even if i have to slather myself with it, it's a really beautiful one to have.

:P

Neither forbidding nor fruity on me, Forbidden Fruit morphs through a very sweet stage after which the phantom jasmine Pulls a Putin with its ugly head. Just when I was ready to call out the National Soap Guard, the scent settled down into a warm and feminine perfume.

The drydown reminds me a bit of a Carolina Herrera that I used up in my pre-BPAL incarnation. I like Forbidden Fruit because it reminds me that the Lab can hold its own with traditional perfumers and produce a scent that doesn't need Goth trappings, the contents of a bake shop, or any other gimmick to produce something lovely and wearable by anyone.

Sadly, this is one of the BPAL scents that just did not work for me. I got it as a frimp from the lab, which is always lovely, but although it smelled vaguely pleasant - fresh and fruity - in the imp, on my skin it was just sickly, fake-smelling and bad. Woe. But then, my skin is a tricky minx, and amps up anything sweet like crazy in any case - looks like it destroyed any subtlety that Forbidden Fruit should have had. Off to the swap box with it. :P

In the bottle, I thought I'd like it.

Wet, I thought it was alright, it reminded me of a gum I used to love when I was younger.

However, dry? Dry, it does not agree with my skin at all which does make me rather sad since I planned on loving this one.

I thought this would be a nice fruity scent, smelling it from the imp, but no.

in the first few minutes it reminded me of Midnight, I got the same blue scent of night blooming flowers, but after 1 hour this is all jasmine and amber on me.

more jasmine than amber, and not so strong like in the begining, and that's good. nice, but only for the imp.

I think I set myself up for disappointment with this one. I got it as a frimp and just opened it up and sniffed it, not knowing what I was getting myself into. Now, I should explain, my brain automatically associates "forbidden fruit" with pomegranate...it's a thing...so there I go, sniffing my imp -- huh. Sweetish florals. ok. Weird.

It's rather nice really, once I got past my initial expectations, but unfortunately my skin seems to do odd things with lotus. As in, lotus always seems to overpower anything else a blend might contain by turning into their weird soapy floral mess.

Pretty, but not for me.