Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Lucy's Kiss

Category: Love Potions

Site Description:

Created to represent the essence of Bram Stoker's tragic heroine, Lucy Westenra. Seductive, wanton and deadly, but underscored with a soft, wistful innocense. The gentle scent of rose and a blend of Victorian spices.

Initial Impression:

Sweet and innocent with something lurking in the wings. Like a virgin sacrifice on her way to be despoiled.

After Wearing It:

I need to get over this openminded phase and learn to trust my original instinct and stay away from scents with heavy rose notes. This wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't for me. If I look at the fragrance on an objective level, it's a pretty interesting oil. Enough side notes to keep the blend from being *too* rosy or too old fashioned, yet it still manages to capture the idea of a well-thorned rose with grace. However, again, I'm not a fan of rose scents so I wouldn't wear this one again.

Final Thoughts:

Sadly disappointing. The idea behind the oil was so appealing! Wish my nose didn't so often snub rose scents.

From the bottle

Roses, reminiscent of Maiden, but stronger. I kind of associate Lucy Wisteria with being bubbly, curious, eager to be at the center of attention, and this scent certainly reflects my mental image.

Initial impressions

Roses freshly cut, smells green. Complicated floral. Heady, but not overbearingly so. Drydown: softens, smells faintly of jasmine? Something light and sweet.

Overall

Comes on very strong, to the point where I developed a slight headache. I prefer the drydown better, but will be swapping this.

My first impression of this scent was a rose fragrance that belonged back in Victorian times - sort of old fashioned - my first thought was an old victorian mansion with lots of lace and tapastry and a beautiful vase of roses on the table in the parlor. I was hoping it would have a little bit of spice with the rose fragrance but I didn't pick up on that.

After the fragrance had dried down it still smelled of a very light rose but even sweeter and very clean smelling.

This one surprised me - I ordered this because of the name and wasn't sure I would like the rose fragrance because that is not one of my favorites but I was pleasantly surprised.....I think this will be a nice summer fragrance.

This scent reminds me of sniffing the white roses growing outside my apartment building - floral, fresh, not too heavy, with a bit of light spice that keeps it from being insipid or dull. A friend said I smelled like a fruity rose, which confused me a bit ...

All in all, I quite like this one & may order a larger bottle. I think it'll be perfect for light summer days, before it gets swelteringly hot.

Just for heaven's sake, don't spill it on yourself & do an inadequate job of removing the excess - everyone sat on the other end of the bus on my ride to work that day, & before long I was sick of the very idea of roses. Whoops. :P

Lucy’s Kiss: Rose…similar to Old London, but not as pale and cold. There is something warm underneath. Innocent, but a bit sad….or confused. Lost.

As it dries, it gets more powdery….I like that…I was afraid it would get colder but it continues to get warmer.

I like it very much, but I don't think it's me enough to buy a bottle of....I'll probably finish the imp though.

Initial Impression:

Dark. Foreboding, and yet... this light air of innocence. The spices were really an interesting addition.

After Wearing It:

The rose lingered longer than any of the other 'spices'. Which I was sad to "smell" happen. Seems I own way too many rose hinted scents these days, and so the imp ear I ordered recently is going to be a gift for a friend.

Final Thoughts:

A few years ago, I dressed up as Lucy for Halloween. I recreated her "wedding gown" from the movie remake, and so I was VERY excited about this scent. But when it ended up wearing down to mostly just rose, I was kind of disappointed. I put it on the shelf with all the other 'rose' scented perfumes. It's not a total loss because honestly, of all the rose oils I own, I do like this one the best.

Rose with a slight green sharpness initially. Softens to a sweet rose with another soft floral scent hiding in the background.

I used to appall rose scents, but I have found several of Beth's that I'm lovig. I fell in love with Harlot, so I wanted to try this. I ordered a 5 ml bottle and put it on the other day and I was like..........whoa.........the rose was knockin' me over. I was thinking swap. Then, as it dried down, the spices came out and the rose softened up and it wafted up from my body (which scents usually don't do on me). It became a soft, somewhat powdery/dusky, spicy rose scent. Went very well with my body chemistry and I'm really glad I ordered it and gave it a chance. You must let this one get to the drydown!!

First Impression: I don't know how she does it, but she does it. Beth has bottled sorrow.

Second Impression: It took a good long dry down for me to appreciate the lovely roses. It began sharp and soapy, but that didn't last too long thank goodness.

Final Analysis: This is the first scent that has actually invoked sadness, sorrow and a sense of loss from me. On the dry down, the roses smell beautful but tragic like a vase long knocked over shattered glass, drying puddle, wilting petals.

I was very looking forward to this as I like rose scents and the story behind the name...unfortunately on my it is absolutely overpowering and doesn´t get better while drying. I ended up washing it away because I got a slightly headache although I had only used a drop on my wrist to test. So sorry my body chemistry doesn´t seem to like it :P

I wasn't sure what this one was going to come out like, but as I'm a major Dracula fan I was all bouncey.

In the bottle: Roses roses more roses. The dry dusty kind.

On me: The first hour was a very strong straight rose scent. However, as the scent mellows it's definitly got a hint of warm spices in there. Nothing too overwhelming, and the main scent is predominantly rose. Actually, this smells almost exactly like what my Arabian Rose oil smells like - which is nice but as I still have an entire bottle of that left, I'll be adding this to the swap pile despite my longing for the spiffy name.

Lucy's Kiss had been on my "To try" list for a long time. I like rose scents a lot and this one sounded exceptionally pretty from the description.

In the vial and wet, this was a very straightforward, yet soft rose scent. The spices gradually came through, but instead of making the blend warmer, they actually turned it into something a little unsettling, almost sinister. There was a hint of decay and tragedy in there. After complete drydown, the dark connotations eased off somewhat, but Lucy's Kiss ended up smelling like a very old, dried out rose. Not an unpleasant scent, just not exactly cheerful.

Lucy's Kiss

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): This is another gorgeous rose blend. Elegant, sophisticated and beautiful … very Victorian – like a trip back in time.

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): The rose is surrounded by a veil of spice. I say veil because it is quiet, soft and mysterious. I was hoping for a bit more kick to the spice – but this is nice.

Throughout the Day (10am-on): The spice is much more prominent on my skin – and slowly coming forth in the air around me. This is quite lovely.

Uh-oh, this totally morphed once again into something I’m not too happy about. It reminds me an awful lot of the dry-down of Harlot – the second time I wore it (an almost decaying rose smell – like the smell of the water the cut roses were in – after the roses have died).

Okay, now I just catch faint whiffs of spicy rose. Interesting ... I dunno, I think I’m gonna have to give it another try, since Harlot only went sour the second time I wore it – damn skin chemistry! :P

Lucy's Kiss begins as a delicate, sweet, cool rose, very innocent. As it dries, the scent seems to warm up and dry out, as if the rose is being sucked dry, rather appropriately. I can't really smell the spices, just the drying effect. It ends as a light, powdery rose petal potpourri (or ash) sort of smell. Interesting.

Edited by isyche

This was a dark rose on me for about 30-40 minutes... and then it completely vanished! I've never had an oil disappear so suddenly and dramatically. There was just a very faint, barely perceptible trace of rose left. :P While it lasted, it was ok but not my bag. I'm just not a rose person and this pretty much drove that home to me.

This was a freebie from the Lab.

In the vial: Roses

Wet: First it's roses. Innocent, blooming roses. Then what I suppose are the spices come out. It's something part creamy (but not really), part dusty and part warm. It's familiar, but I can't name it exactly. It's an odd effect.

Drydown: The spices don't linger long. Roses, roses & more roses.

Final thoughts: These are not the wet, juicy roses I love. It goes to powder on me. Alas.

Oh I was veryexcited to get this blend- and it did not disappoint. Very strong rose here. Deep..crimson petaled roses here. i just love this...this is a fragrance for nighttime adventures..... :P

This is the best BPAL rose based oil I have ever tried. Though the rose starts out strong, it fades into a lovely spicey yet floral scent. It's a mysterious trickster scent, much like Lucy Westerna herself once she is in vamp mode.

It reminds me a lot of AIRS Hearts of Rose. I still have a bottle of that, but I can see Lucy's Kiss replacing that one since AIRS no longer makes Hearts of Rose.

Lucy's Kiss, This is a very strong rose scent with a little spice. :P This is the strongest rose blend that I have smelled from BP yet. No bottle for me, but I will keep the Imp.

This is what I had wished Old London smelled like!

Nooo! I love London just the way it is. :P

Lucy's Kiss is a little more youthful than London. Whatever the spices are, I kept thinking maybe I was getting a little lavender-type sharpness. Dry down was quite powdery, and it lasted a while.

I got this one in a swap with da minx, and I am totally excited about it. It seems that I have grown rather fond of the rose that I once despised so much. Silly me.

In the bottle: Rose. Yeah, definately rose.

On Me: Very rose, and I'm not sure about anything else but. No spices, not really anything else but rose. But its not like Rose Red, which is the whole rose and nothing but the rose...this one is just the blossom, which has to be huge and pink. Not Red, Pink. Its a sweet rose with only a hint of bite at its center.

Mind you, I'm not really complaining. The ability to have different colored rose scents is too cool. Not to mention, now in the air I am starting to get the scent of something else. Not too spicy, but a little different, maybe some allspice or something similar. Whatever it is, its gorgeous.

This is another one of those rose scents that just screams for me to roll in. I like!

Immediate impression: more rosey than a rosey thing!!

Roses roses everywhere its quite delicious, not at all subtle and soft as expected rather like a rose garden in full bloom - heady and intoxicating.

The fragrance develops gradually into something quite astringent - but not unpleasant - with a soft rose background.

Didn't get the spices though - I think Lucy's Kiss would have been just perfect if they had. Without them Lucy's Kiss is certainly pleasant but hasn't bowled me over.

Edited by amunnefret

I never thought I liked rose scents, I've come across a few BPAL's I liked that had rose as an ingredient, but I tend to avoid ROSEroseROSE scents.

Wow, Lucy is lovely. The spice comes out beautifully on me. There's a little carnation in the mix, maybe? Anyway, she smells great on my skin, and makes a spectacularly seductive hair scent.