Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin with sandalwood and orris.

I am STUNNED by this scent! It's the first scent that I've said "ew" to when sniffing from the imp, yet tried on anyway and LOOOOOOVED. In the imp, it smells stinky to me. I hate to say it, but it smells dirty feet stinky! I'm not sure why, since I love the listed notes. Because I'm in a Weenie mood, tho' (anticipating the update :P ) I tried it on. Within a minute or two, it was woody yet foody... juicy and boozy, like a spiked punch. DREEEEEAMY! I'm so glad someone frimped me this scent. I might try tracking down a bottle... um, when my finances recover from more recent updates.

In the vial: that's pumpkin with incense... hmm... strong

On the skin: smells like butter popcorn! And there's the pumpkin again! It seriously reminds me of the farms during the fall, with the kettle corn and the freshly picked pumpkins all carved on display. There isn't an intensity to #4, like say that there is with Jack (which I spilled and was tortured for days by) which is nice. There's a hint of sugar that pops on the drydown. Very much like this!

In the bottle it smells heavenly. When applied it went a little wonky on my skin, but after the wonk-stage, which lasted a few minutes, it turned back to gorgeous. It's a woodsy, spicy and buttery. Definitely a keeper!

Pumpkin Path #4

I find Beth’s pumpkin to be a fascinating base note, pretty much neutral, but deep and complex all on its own (which makes sense; it pretty much has to be a bouquet, as amber is), if somewhat opaque; the olfactory equivalent of “solid,” which can be a little overwhelming sometimes. The notes it is paired with make or break the blend, of course, but pumpkin, in Beth’s hands, is a beautiful finish.

PP#4 starts out with the pumpkin top notes; a little squashy, but also a little spicy and a little green. The orris, in its Iris incarnation (as opposed to its drier personality), adds a high, very sweet, very fresh and clear note, cool in contrast to the warmth of the pumpkin. Sandalwood, another cool note but softer and almost creamy, just eases into the blend after awhile and takes over, along with the deeper notes of the pumpkin, after the orris has faded.

Sandalwood and pumpkin are natural partners, it seems. The dry out is a wonderful, calm, warm scent, kitcheny but not foody, if that makes sense. Squash heaped on a sandalwood platter, not yet ready for the pot. Maybe some freshly ground nutmeg in a bowl off to the side. Autumn sunlight slanting through the window, lighting the scene like a classic still life painting. This is the contemplative, esthetic side of autumn indoors. I love it.

This blend has moderate throw for at least 4 hours on my skin, and lingers as more of a skin scent for several hours more. I love the orris top note enough to reapply during the day, but have to be careful of how much I put on, as initially it's very strong.

Edited by Malista

Pumpkin Patch #4-

In Bottle: Mm, there's a richness to this. Almost chocolaty.

Wet: Candy-woody and deliciously rich, even more so than the hazelnut and cocoa of Pumpkin Patch #2. A little fragrant like a floral but with the yummiest creamy rich tones. I'm reminded of Obatala and Black Pearl.

Dry: The richness of this is almost masculine; I love the spicy-woody-creamy notes over the pumpkin fruit of this. And it has longer staying power than some of the other Pumpkin Patches on me!

Overall: I like a lot.

Bottle: warm, almost buttery, pumpkin..like a tart.

Wet: the same

Dry: hints of the sandalwood move in and out, making this warmth less food-y but no less inviting.

Later: finally the sandalwood grounds this is a more complete way, and the orris hasn't done it's usual amp-and-grow-sickly trick, for which I am grateful as this is very interesting.

In the Bottle: It's a sharp green, spicy scent with buttery overtones.

Initial Wet: The butteriness lays out over a strong sandalwood scent. Underneath it I can smell a sweetness coming from the pumpkin. The orris is still a green scent.

Initial Dry: The orris starts to soften to a sweeter note and the sandalwood is not quite as spicy--more just a warm woody note. The orris is really becoming the most prominant note in this blend, though the sandalwood seems to want to contest it.

Drier Dry: It's mostly orris over the pumpkin with the sandalwood as a firm base. It's a dry, yet slightly sweet scent, not overly floral or fruity or spicey, just nice and mild. I don't use the word creamy often to describe scents, but this would certainly fall into that category.

It reminds me of the last warm day of autumn before the chill really starts to set in, but after the leaves have already started to fall. I've been looking for a nice autumn scent for myself (fruits and I don't get along, so apple scents are right out). This is certainly all I wanted that scent to be and more.

I got all the Pumpkin Patch scents, and to be honest, I wasn't that thrilled with how any of them smelled in the bottle. This is the first one I've actually tried on my skin. Since I didn't look up what the notes were when I put it on, I wasn't sure what to expect. It was quite a shock when my wrists began to smell like buttered popcorn (with just a bit of pumpkin)!

Knowing that sandalwood and orris are in it doesn't help me sort things out, since I'm very much a newbie with an untrained nose. Hmm. Well, I kinda like this. Not sure how much I'll wear it, but I'm sure I'll be testing it out again.

Not foody. I get the pumpkin, but it's a pumpkin-tinged sandalwood. No buttery effect that I get from the other Patch scents. This reminds me of the pumpkin-scented shampoo I use. Very pretty!

In the bottle:All creeeaammmy pumpkin.

Wet:More down-to-earth pumpkin.

Dry:The perfect pumpkin incense.Creamy,spicy and realistic.

My favourite of the Pumpkin Patch so far...but I have yet to try #1!

Moist pumpkin.

Very very light. Watery and woody, but still very pumpkin. I think the Sandalwood really compliments the pumpkin!! It adds almost a chocolatey smell. ::shrug:: that's what I get.

No story to relate here, but yumm!!

It morphs again, and the chocolate goes away. But the pumpkin stays!!!

Wooo! i am happy! The 1st Pumpkin to stay! A little watery, but YAY!! :P

Mmm, sandalwood. There have been some great things said about this one and seeing as I've struck out with the first three Pumpkin Patch oils, I'm crossing my fingers with this one.

In the bottle - I've come to realize that I really have no idea what orris smells like and I feel like a complete schmuck for it. :P I'm catching the pumpkin's smoothness and the sandalwood's smoke, but there's something a little bitter here with a bite. Is that orris?

Wet - Ooo, this is a spicey incense with a smooth pumpking base. It's lovely!

Drying - The sandalwood is so nice, a little spicey and smokey! There is something almost bitter to it, but it just helps add depth, as it's very much in the background. The pumpkin is seriously smoothing this out and giving it just a touch of buttery sweetness. I'm REALLY liking this one!

Dry (1.5 hours) - Something has turned in this scent and I can only assume it's the mysterious orris note. This has gone absolutely sour on me.

Overall - It could be skin chemistry problems, it really could. I'll hold onto this one and see if it improves at all over time.

In the bottle: A lot of buttery pumpkin, but there's a hint of freshness, too.

Wet: Ah yes, I get the sandalwood now, it's even stronger than the pumpkin. Then the pumpkin starts to regain its strength. Aha, I get something very fresh and green, the iris coming out.

Drydown: A rather balanced mixture of buttery sweet pumpkin and bitter green iris, with a strong base of sandalwood. There's a nice spice in it, too, like nutmeg. I get the iris as if it's floating in the throw, whereas the sandalwood/pumpkin stays closer to the skin. On extreme drydown, sandalwood emerges very strong and sour and perfumy, and that's not really pleasant.

Overall: It's definitely starts out as one of the more pleasant, slightly green and woody pumpkins, but unfortunately sandalwood doesn't always play nice with me and ends up very shrill. I definitely prefer #5, and there are a few similarities, it just depends if you can wear sandalwood or rosewood better, I guess.

There's a definite buttery edge to this in the imp I have, but on my skin the scent very quickly changes to a pumpkin/incense scent that is just lovely. It's *almost* too sweet, but still has that spicy edge that keeps it from being cloying.

I'm starting to think I'm going to have to order all of these in bottles if they're released again in 2007, because this is just delicious!

I was a little leery of pumpkin because of how Jack turned out with my chemistry, but I love this one. The buttery pumpkin is chased by a stream of incense. It smells like candy wet and when it dries it becomes a sophisticated nod to pumpkins everywhere.

Pumpkin. No butter (yay!). Delicious, warm, spicy pumpkin - a deep deep dark orange.

And OH the sandalwood and orris just sing with it! Can it get any more perfect? The wood is such a gorgeous match for the pumpkin, taking away a bit of the foodiness. It's comforting and reminiscent of home-by-the-hearth but with a sexy edge. :P

God I adore this! *Come on Pumpkin Patch '07!!*

2005 version

Short description: Foody woody floral

In depth: Really like this one! The pumpkin is like a soft pie/cake scent, but the orris and sandalwood balance that perfectly :P It is kind of incensy and definately rich and rounded, but with a green and earthy note behind. The orris later becomes almost perfumey-floral, but never too much. A very balanced scent.

Edited by Browneyes

When I first started buying BPAL I thought pumpkin-scented perfume sounded gross. Then I tried Jack and realized I liked pumpkin perfumes a lot. So then I got an imp set of the Pumpkin Patch perfumes to try them out.

PP#4 was immediately my favorite. Straight away, with no hesitation. I liked it even better than Jack. Still do. Whenever I'm in the mood for a pumpkin perfume, #4 is the first one I think of. I got bottles of the whole patch, but I never wore anything but #4.

Although I do like the buttery pumpkin-ness of Jack, I prefer the dry pumpkin scent in PP#4. It reminds me of pumpkin seeds, I guess. It's lovely and not overbearing at all with the sandalwood and orris. Sweet, soft, and delicious. It seems like there's a little bit of spice in there somewhere, but not much.

The sandalwood and spices seem stronger now that it has aged for a couple of years (my bottles are from Halloween 05), and I don't think it has quite as much of a pumpkin scent as it used to. Still, it's very lovely and remains one of my favorite BPAL perfumes.

spicy pumpkin! No buttery note (thank god!) so those of you who don't like the buttery note in Jack will be happy. The sandalwood stays in the background for me and the pumpkin is nice and warm and more prominent as it dries down. ages beautifully too :P

This is a spicy pumpkin, and the image that came to mind was running your hands through a just sanded plank of wood. Why this wood smells like sandalwood, but I have no idea. And the bits of dust on your hands just smell pretty amazing.

None of the buttery death of Jack, just pumpkin and some good solid wood-spice to it.

I really adore this perfume! In the bottle the spice is a tad strong (mine is from the first batch), but that very quickly settles to a subtle, sophisticated aura (really, it is less a smell than just a feeling!).

I miss the buttery notes, but find it is a nice vacation from my usual sweet and foody smells. This sweetness is mild and deepened by the sandalwood and a spice that seems cinnamon-y/peppery. When I first put this perfume on I can actually TASTE spices, but (thank goodness) that fades before I'm ready to drink my morning coffee.

in the bottle: sweet, creamy pumpkin, with a spicy dash or orris.

wet on skin: same, but now the sandalwood is adding a lovely lower note that helps ground this scent.

dry down: a nuttiness mixes with the wood and pumpkin notes, making for something wonderful, complex and yummy. not too foody, this is a good "crossover" scent for those that shy away from food fragrances.

in all: sexy, sweet and spicy, this pumpkin does not require a particular season to be worn in- just a mood of feeling awesome!

:P

I'd forgotten I hadn't reviewed PP 4 and there's something really lovely about it that I can't quite put my finger on--a crisp, spice cookie quality perhaps, where others of the Pumpkin Patch family are juicier or more fruity. Different enough that I'm delighted to have this separate flavor. I got too long between indulgences, but it's great to find it there when i need a little soothing.

I smell like a muffin. Nom, nom, nom. :P

It's very pumpkiny, with a sort of dry after-smell. Quite lovely, though, pumpkin with a hint of perfumeyness, a bit of cold juicyness and a smattering of baked deliciousness. Yum. :D

2005 version

In vial: masculine sandalwood.

Wet on skin: nose-ticklingly dry and woody - almost more sawdust than wood!

Dry on skin: this reminds me a little of conventional perfume. There's also a slightly "dirty" note I'm not keen on. This is not a favourite.