Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Gluttony

Thick, sugared and bloated with sweetness. Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

In the imp, this is hazelnut and buttercream - and divine. I'm not generally a fan of foody scents, but something in this one makes me salivate and want to slather it on.

Wet on my skin, the buttercream and hazelnut fall back, pushing the pralines and toffee to the forefront, with a hint of hops. It's sweet with the impression of saltiness that makes me want to scoot up to Briq's and get a turtle sundae.

And then something starts to go wrong.

The buttercream comes out again, shouldering aside the toffee, and the hops join it. Unfortunately, the buttercream and hops seem to be mortal enemies, and their turf war catches my sinuses in the crossfire. Eventually, the hops win out, which for some reason leaves me with a scent that flickers between grass and old brass. Scrubbing it off at this point only helps a little; it lessens the throw, but the scent is still discernible.

Despite the lack of success on my skin, I adore the hazelnut/buttercream goodness enough to want to use it elsewhere. If it retains that goodness in a locket or an oil burner, it'll definitely make it onto my bottle list.

Weird, even though it's not in the description, I'm getting fruit, not what supposed to be there. It's not particularly pleasant, either.

Whoa! Strong! I can't wear nutty scents. It's sickening sweet, and the caramel/toffee combined with the smokey vanilla actually makes it smell a little burnt. Sadly, I smell no chocolate. It's not very tasty smelling at all actually.

Imp: Dark, dark chocolate - like one of the very dark bittersweet Scharffen Berger bars - and a whiff of coffee.

Wet: Chocolate and coffee. Mmmm.

Drydown: Almost immediately, the chocolate went away, and it became very thick espresso with an almost burnt edge. There's an undertone of burning leaves, not quite the resinous smell of tobacco, and not the bright greenery I associate with hops (I have hop vines so it's a familiar smell).

30 minutes to 3 hours: I am so insanely hungry. The smell on my wrist is not foody in any way - not even consciously appetizing, as it still smells like espresso burned a bit, but I would probably knock someone over in a rush to the ice cream section at the store. (Note to Boston people: there's a whiff of Toscanini's burnt caramel ice cream in the throw of this scent, just faintly.)

4 hours: oh, creamy milk chocolate! where did you come from? very mild and pleasant. It's wearing off; I would definitely need to reapply if I wanted much more.

Verdict: It's a lot to go through to smell like milk chocolate. :P Given that I'm on a medically-restricted diet, I don't know that I can afford those ravenous hunger pangs on a regular basis, but I'm not quite ready to trade the imp.

Gluttony – I don’t traditionally like bakery scents. I usually avoid them. I’m not sure what got into me, but I had a feeling that I was going to like Gluttony despite the description. The first few seconds are pure bakery heaven. The very first note that jumps out is butter, but not popcorn salt & greasy butter, more like butter creamed with a ton of powdered sugar. Almost immediately the sweet butter scent is followed by vanilla, pralines, and hazelnut. But after 30 seconds or so, the novelty has worn off, and I don’t like the way I smell, and about five minutes into the scent, it takes on an artificial plastic-like odor. I would be thrilled if I could create something in my kitchen that tasted like this smells during the first couple of minutes. I just don’t like wearing bakery/foody scents and add to it the twang of plastic, and well, my loss will be someone else’s gain, as this is off to the swap pile.

I first ordered this imp because of reccomendation since I loved the caramel sexiness of Red Lantern so much.

In imp: ...ohhh... yum I smell spiced nuts, like the kind you find in christmas vendors except less sweet.

Wet on skin: oh godyes. spiced nuts, burnt toffee and cocoa. ..oh.. GODYES. I find myself fighting the urge to eat myself.

drydown: salty caramel, smoky pecan-like goodness, cocoa.. ...ohgod I smell like the warm version of a turtle sundae and I don't want to stop... ...this is a big turn on. I don't think I may need a full -bottle- but damn the imp pleases me...

I normally love food scents, but my initial impression was that Gluttony was WAY too buttery and heavy for me. But I decided to give it a whirl, hoping the butter would calm down and I'd be able to pick up on the chocolate.

When I put it on, something bizarre happened. It didn't smell like food at all but... CIGAR SMOKE. Straight-up cigar smoke. And it didn't fade or morph. From the time it dried on my skin until I washed it off in the shower the next morning, I smelled like I'd spent a night playing poker with a bunch of cigar-smoking old men. It wasn't entirely unpleasant, but I wouldn't wear it again. I definitely won't be using this Imp.

Gahck o_O… it’s the same acrid bitter cocoa scent from Underpants, Beaver Moon and Drink Me… now I have to add Gluttony to the list. I’m getting a very heavy toffee/hazelnut scent to this that is making me kind of sick because it reminds me of coffee and I despise coffee.

Ooooh.

This is my favorite thus far of my recent imp order and merits a future 5ml purchase.

Buttery, cookie-ish, and creamy. I wish I got the chocolate notes others have mentioned, but I put it on before bed and may have slept through that part of the scent's development.

It has all the lovely foodiness of Midway with 5 times the staying power.

The imp lid broke upon opening it, so I gingerly placed it upright on a shelf and ran out to buy a bottle for it.

I couldn't find anything but atomizers, so i went home and added some Grey Goose and attempted to make it an EDT.

Even with the dilution, it has not lost it's smell the next morning.

My husband came to bed at 6am and said, " I smell caramel popcorn. Is that you?"

I got this as a frimp today which was great cause I wanted to test it out eventually. When I first opened the imp I litterally cried out, "whoa!" because it just slams you.

I can make this real simple. If Monsterbait Underbed is a high class, call girl. Gluttony, is a cheap, coke snorting hooker. It wants to be Underbed if it could only get out of the projects and kick the habit. If you missed out on Underbed, this might be a close alternative. It has a bit more of a toffee essence, and none of the cassia.

This definately isn't a scent for the anti-food folks. It's a bit overpowering and maks me feel kinda cheap, but I'll admit that it's certainly a fun scent. It does strike me as the kind of perfume that a man might not be able to stop sniffing. If you like foody scents, definately try out an imp, but be warned that it's powerful!

Edited by Teggy

Procured: an imp from a friend

In Imp - Salty maple syrup, a little nutty

On skin, wet: Nuts (black walnut/hazelnut), maple syrup. Very strong, almost harsh.

On skin, dry: sweet, slightly syrupy and hints of chocolate and muts

This also went a little weird on me during dry-down and smelled almost little household cleaner for a bit.

I remember reading a story about a little girl and her grandmother making caramel icing--not for cake, but because they both loved caramel icing! The grandmother's wisdom is that everyone should have enough of what they love a least once . . . Of course, the little girl gets sick from all that sugar. Gluttony reminds me of this story, and not just because of the theme.

On me, this one is all caramel. A little nutty, very sugary, a litle burnt. The sweetness turns almost sickly under its own weight, making it a perfect scent for the concept: it's too much of what I thought I loved, turning into something that's just revolting.

Not everybody gets the BPAL morality play that I did. On a friend this smells like the most fantastic, nutty toffee . . . Maybe there's always room for just a little more . . . :P

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet! This is one of my favorite BPAL blends, and I already have a half empty 5 ml. This is a foody lovers dream scent. Super sweet desserts gone beserk! A rich, fatty, buttery creamy cakey praline fantasy. It's so sweet I have trouble sniffing it right out of the bottle! It's like rich, butter rum cake drenched with vanilla praline caramel sauce and served over ice cream. Yum, this is one of the best foody scent ever made :P

A strong, sweet scent that I could smell without even opening the vial. In the imp I get a cinnamon note, with undertones of vanilla, rich and syrupy. My initial impressions were somewhat mixed, as it was a little overpowering, and the oil had an edge to it that I wasn't quite sure about.

When applied, I still get a cinnamon note, though not as sharp as in the imp. As it dries it remains sweet, but less than it was originally as it develops the slightly bitter scent of caramelised sugar.

Over time the cinnamon fades to leave a very warm scent that puts me in mind of a rich toffee sauce with a creamy vanilla undertone and just a hint of bitterness - sweet, but not overly so. It still has an edge to it that I can't quite pick out, just a hint of something else following the initial wave of sweetness.

Very indulgent. I can't help but relax a little, and frantic activity seems quite out of the question, as I can't help but keep on pausing to sniff at my wrist again. I'm not yet sure if I'd want an entire bottle of this, but I'm definitely keeping the imp.

In the bottle: It made me feel like sticking my head in a bowl full of chocolate frosting and going crazy! I could only think of a bakery with LOTS of chocolatey and sugary things.

On wet: I smell the hazelnuts and vanilla more than anything

on dry: turns slightly into a coffee with cream n sugar and then a huge whif of cherry tobacco smoke

I'm sort of appalled that I'm so in love with this scent, as it's so ridiculously sweet and gooey, and I didn't like it much when I first tested it.

But the second time...and the third time...OMG. About five minutes after application it turns into this wonderful cinnamon/caramel deliciousness on me and stays that way for hours. Then the cinnamon fades and it's just sweet caramel/sugary goodness. I've worn it to bed for two nights now and it's still going strong when I wake up in the morning.

I may need a bottle of this although I'm not sure if I'll ever wear it in public!

This is way strong! I just put the tiniest dab on my hand as foodie blends get very strong (learned my lesson with Jack!) and it still smells like I slathered. On me, it's caramel/vanilla creme brulee. Gluttony stays true from wet to drydown with pretty much no morphing, but the sweet foodiness is too much for me. It makes me feel like I gorged myself on plates of dessert and now I'm holding my stomach going 'why did I eat so much?' and the smell of any other food makes me nauseus. Which is very appropriate for 'Gluttony' :P but I can't wear it.

In the bottle: WOW. This is strong. I definitely smell buttercream and hazelnut along with something very boozy. I'm not completely sold, but it is encouraging.

Wet on skin: Smells a bit like Butter Pecan ice cream (which I love) and butterscotch schnapps (which I also love). I think I could love this.

Dry on skin: It's still strong. It's strong enough to even cover up the catastrophe that was Envy + my skin. It dries down to something a bit sweeter and more candy-like. Yummy!

Verdict: This was a hit! I bought a 5ml bottle unsniffed and am not disappointed.

In the bottle: caramel toffee, I'm not getting any cocoa or vanilla at all.

Initial application: more of the same, with something a little spicy and dusty behind it.

Drydown: this has been morphing between caramel toffee, cinnamon toast, and sadly, that same sour nut smell I got with Drink Me and White Rabbit. It also has a faint edge of plastic to it, I suspect that soon I will just end up smelling like a scented candle.

Smiley rating: :P

Gluttony-

In Bottle: Mmm, not so much as caramel as dark dark dark burnt toffee. I'd love this one to work on me.

Wet: A lighter sweeter note blooms on me, almost like apples. I can still smell the burnt toffee too. That burnt edge seems to be blunting the musty note that would usually be rising from my skin on foodie scents about now. :P And a little dark chocolate is coming out, too!

Dry: This was INTERESTING. The musty turn that so many beloved foodie scents give me (what IS that? What causes it? Is it vanilla that does that on my skin? What?) did show up, but that burnt toffee smell kept shoving it back, saying, "You're not that obvious. Stop making such a fuss." And it was a tolerable existence of the must, and on the last parts of the dry-down, when the scent was just lingering, hours later, I didn't really detect it at all and the scent was still yummy. So this is conditional but it may be one that will work in the long run. I'll definitely try it in scent lockets and the like.

Overall: Conditional but I really like. I'll get it work somehow, even if just in scent lockets.

Chocolate bliss. I smell the hazelnut and toffee, too, not so much the caramel. The buttercream is also strong. This is a chocolate factory, and I love it.

My girlfriend says: "Eww! That smells like 7 year old chocolate that's turned gray!"

Score: 5 out of 5 (to hell with what my girlfriend says!)

I don't get any chocolate from this, but it really smells like pralines, which is amazing! It reminds me of an icecream sundae with lots of delicious things, and just smelling it makes me feel like I've gorged myself. The salty booze aspect puts me off a little though.

I really really wanted to like this one and I was so excited to try it, but all I got was rancid nuts that smelled REALLY strong. I couldn't wash it off fast enough. :P

In the imp: Ah, in the fine tradition of scents like Jack and Grog, here we have another very, very foody blend that has a 99.9% chance of going stale on my skin. However, one never knows, and the fun of BPAL is searching for that elusive scent that breaks your skin's rules.

Wet: Very interesting. This is not nearly as offensive as I thought it would be. In fact, the hazelnut and chocolate recall Misk U, which I tried right before I tried this imp, and quite liked.

Drydown and wear: Alas, it is not to be. Unlike the other scents I have tried in this vein, which started out scary and mellowed out, the buttercream and caramel (which has given me problems in Red Lantern, among other scents) amped up something fierce, and I was left with that frustrating sense of stale. However, the opening stages of this gave me some hope. LOL

Holy staying power, Crack Van. This stuff lasted through four rounds of soapy scrubbing, and I can still smell the faintest tint of it on my wrist. What do I have to do to get this stuff off me?

As for the review: it was weird. It was just weird. it was both icky, slightly nauseating and then perversely nice to smell, even though I was offended I kept sniffing my wrist every five seconds. I don't think I can take that much schizophrenia from a perfume. Basically, it was more complex than the straight-up I-am-a-bakery scent that I'd expected, and it was even a little spicy and interesting; but just not for me.

Very weird.