Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Gluttony

Thick, sugared and bloated with sweetness. Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

At first, Gluttony is all caramel on me. Which is amazing, in all ways. I love foody scents and I got this one because of the chocolate in it. After a bit it turns into sweet, vanilla-ed hazelnuts. The overall effect is very foody, but a nice mix of sweet and bitter.

Very nutty. The chocolate, vanilla, and buttercream are not too evident on me. The toffee and praline/hazelnut are very apparent. There is a buttery flavor to it as well, making it smell like my grandmother's peanut brittle.

In the imp: slightly burnt dark chocolate

On the wrist: Ah, the burnt note is hazelnuts. This makes me want to eat my wrist. But anything that gives me an appetite is good these days.

I wore this to the lawyers by dint of spilling it on me just before leaving. IT lasted at least three hours, and the homeliness of it I think helped me not to break down.

I really want to keep this. But when the hell am I going to want to smell like chocolate? Still, won’t swap unless bribed.

In the vial - Rich, buttery caramel with an undertone of hazelnut. It's delicious!

Wet on the skin - Not quite as sweet or buttery as in the imp, but it's nevertheles still rich with a nutty and hoppy tone to it. The praline gives a lovely grounding tone, and it's not too sweet.

Next stages - Dark and luscious. While the dark chocolate never quite comes to the foreground, it lingers very satisfyingly for a while before melting back into the nutty and caramelly background.

Dry down - When the caramel and toffee notes finally settle, they become toasted and contented. This is a vey comforting scent; in puts me in mind of a big fat cat curling up on my lap to be stroked, purring loudly. This is going to be an ideal scent to wear on cold rainy evenings.

Similar scents - Hellcat, Cockaigne

In the Imp : Dusty chocolate.

Wet : The vanilla is definitely there but instead of standing on its own its mixing with the chocolate to morph it into a more of a powdery scent. The hops are amping up like crazy in this! The pralines and hazelnut and easily distinguishable but like everything else in this they devote all of their power to mixing with Chocolate.

Dry : This smells exactly like someone took some perfectly dried hops and rolled them in powdered cocoa. Why hello there hops - I see you're quite fond of me. This is a very "dry" scent as well - meaning that everything in here is well cooked or dried by this point - no fresh nuts or still dribbling caramel or chocolate. This reminds me more of one of those big rich candy bars you can get that are so sugary you give up half way through eating them.

Over All : Gluttony really isn't my style. Too much hops - not enough buttercream. :'(

Big Bottle Worthy : No

Bottle: Brown sugar, very sweet!

Wet: Brown sugar and Baklava, oddly. There's a bit of an acrid note, though.

Drydown: On the drydown the brown sugar and the acrid note melt away leaving sweet baklava. I love this, makes me hungry!

4.0 outta 5!

In the bottle: Buttery to the point of butterscotch, with a underscore of cinnamon.

Wet: The cinnamon went REALLY sharp (it bit my nose even with a cold), the butter dies down a bunch, it gains a sugary aspect and a vanilla-y one, maybe even a cookie feel.

Dry: Still a lot of cinnamon and spice, but the butter, sugar, and vanilla melded into something wonderful and bakery-esque. There might be some nuts I can't detect with this cold. My friend called it a "dark bakery". Perfect!

In the vial - My god they aren't even kidding - OH DEAR GOD CHOCOLATE

Wet - Overly sweet. Washed off almost immediately.

I had a feeling I wasn't going to like it much, but I tried it for posterity's sake, given how much Mad Hatter changed on my skin. Away that one goes.

Gluttony

In vial, sweet melted butter. On skin, I feel as though I've stepped into a classy coffee-house bakery. Hot chocolate, teas, and coffees are brewing in the background; I'm slowly walking, and salivating, over a case filled with dozens of delicious treats. Cookies, brownies, cakes; which do I choose? The collective smell is driving my nose crazy and making me greedy for goodies.

[5 - Love] This is better than Cockaigne and Hearth, which both have similar elements to this. So far, this is my favorite sweet foody smell.

This smells almost exactly as you'd imagine from the ingredients. There is a hint of perfume scent under the smell of all those sweets, like a tiny whiff of sandlewood, but really, this smells like cookiee shop, with the caramel and pralines strongest.

I was so looking forward to this one. Chocolate? Anything that smells of chocolate must be good, right? Unfortunately, that didn't hold true for me. In the bottle it's very strong. Reminds me very much of coffee, and I can't stand coffee. I don't drink it, and the smell always turns me off. I think it must be the hazelnut I'm smelling, but the chocolate smells bitter to me.

When I first tried it on my skin, it smelled a bit sweeter, but the hazelnut took over again, and I was once again reminded of burnt coffee. Still very strong.

Even after a couple of hours, the scent was very strong, and never mellowed out into anything enjoyable for me. Such a shame that this didn't mesh with my body chemistry at all. I hate to say it, but this is the first one I say "no thanks" to. :P

Wow. I don't even know where to start, other than to grab a napkin and wipe my chin off!!! This scent kicked me in the gut and had me off hunting for sweets- Goo goo cluster ice cream, especially!! I can DEFINITELY smell the chocolate, caramel, and hazelnut. Yummy!!! Talk about one of the ultimate sweet-treat foody scents!! I don't know how often I'd wear this since it makes me CRAVE sweets like a lot of the other foody scents do NOT. But still. Yummy.

This one was... interesting on me. In the imp, it's chocolate, and maybe cool, sweet tea. On/wet...there's some of the fruity sweetness that was in Vice for me--which is concerning, since my skin ate up Vice really quickly. There's maybe a little hazlenut, too.

Drydown: Sweet--but--again, my skin has done something strange with a scent! I get chocolate, and coconut...and cinnamon? It's an interesting, sweet scent. I like it quite a bit, though I may need to pair it with something a little more "stable" and less sweet to be able to wear it often.

Source: imp from the lab.

Right off, this is incredibly caramel-smelling. But this is a very thick, gooey, expensive caramel, not the cheap petrified things that you find sitting in the bottom of the candy jar after everyone has eaten the good stuff. After a bit, the scent of dark chocolate begins to develop under the caramel, not too sweet, with just a slightly bitter edge. It's a lot like chocolate in Velvet, which I really like.

Later something very slightly incense-y or smoky seems to come through, making the scent a bit less foody. Definitely different but surprisingly wearable. I like it!

I was sure I was going to love this one. BPAL foody smells and I work out very well. What wasn't to like about this?

This has had THE WORST reaction of any BPAL ever to my skin, I think. It smells of rancid butter. No joke. Argh! I have sent it far, far away from me. Sad. However, I have got an imp of Bliss now so I'm hoping that will fulfill my chocolate wishes.

I bought this imp from someone. I think it's quite old because the label looks pretty old and yellowed. So Im not sure if the oil turned bad.

In the vial : very smoky. Not sweet at all. No chocolate. No caramel. Just very smoky.

On my skin : It's a bit nutty but there's the same smoky smell which is overpowering.

I am so disappointed. Im not sure if it's because the oil is old or it's just my skin. I was expecting this to be super sweet.

Gluttony (light yellow oil)

Imp: Toffee, butter, caramel.

Skin: It starts with a strong nutty caramel scent, the chocolate wasn't as strong as I thought it would be. The buttery scent in the imp was also nowhere to be found. I got more of the hazelnut praline out of it. Bloated and sweet indeed!

The drydown isn't as gourmand as the beginning - It develops a heavy veil of smoke. The nutty caramel stayed right till the end.

A gooey, sugar-loaded sticky scent.

Toasty, heavy, Autumn and Winter.

In the imp, this is dark chocolate and caramel with buttercream and toffee - yum! The Lab keeps making me re-think my anti-chocolate stance!

On my skin, this is sweet and nutty - the chocolate dies way down, and there's lots of vanilla, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

When it dries, it's sweet, nutty, and surprisingly subtle - I love it!

Got an imp of this in a swap at the Seattle Meet'n'Sniff.

In the imp: Cockaigne.

Wet: A lot like Cockaigne--butter and spice, but with a hint of sandalwood. No chocolate notes whatsoever. WTF?

Drydown: butter and hazelnut, plus the hint of sandalwood.

Above average throw.

Mmm-mm good.

In the imp this smells like headache-inducing chocolate nuttiness. On me it goes plastic and reminds me of a gingerbread lip balm I had as a kid. It's a super long lasting scent though. My bedroom still smells like it today, even though the imp isn't in there anymore. I wish the caramel and hops were more prominent.

I can see why this is gluttony. Overdose!

Nom nom nom...

This is exactly what it says it is in the description. Smells like butter and hazelnut candles...only better. As my 9-year-old daughter said, "It smells like something really delicious you would pour over ice cream." Decent lasting power too. Not sure about throw (probably should have waited until my sniffles are gone to review a scent, no?).

Gluttony indeed. My favorite so far.

Imp: Nutella, with a touch of something else I can't identify.

Wet: NUTELLA! with praline undertones

Dry: Pralines. I wish it kept smelling like Nutella, but pralines are good too.

imp: wow. this is the scent of a plate of homemade toffee i smelled when i was at a potluck 20+ years ago. i was too little to know how sublime toffee was so i didn't have any of the chocolate-slathered, nut-encrusted buttery chunk of heaven. but this is what it smelled like.

wet: this is very nutty, very buttery... it is a great deal like cockaigne except less cakey and more sugary.

dry: this smells very boozy once dry. like somone poured a big tumbler of brandy and set it next to my plate of toffee.

Ok, 13 pages. Has everybody reviewed this by now? On me, it begins as a buttery sugar, but it becomes a burnt caramel with butter tones. Nah, not too appealing, can't see smelling like this especially when there's so much better out there for me. I can't wear Cockaigne either for similar reasons.

This is not exactly what I was expecting.

In the bottle it's an almost salty sweet hazelnut with a slight quality of burnt sugar to it.

On my skin it becomes almost pure hazelnut, not terribly sweet but pleasant.

Then, after a few minutes it smells almost like cigarette ashes. I made it through this stage,barely. In about 10 minutes more it's back to hazelnut again.

After 2 hours, I get the faintest smell of hazelnut on my skin. I think this one will be passed on. Smelled better in the imp than on me. :P