Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Gluttony

Thick, sugared and bloated with sweetness. Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

This knock Candy Butcher, Bliss, and Vice in the dirt. This is absolutely sinful and gluttonous; I love it! Sweet Amsterdam candy shop is what I am reminded of...

ADDED Dec. 21:

Imp: oh my goodness, it's sinfully good! buttery creamy caramel...yum...my saliva glands just secreted ...

Wet: oh, the pralines and hazlenut are now peeking through the rich golden cream...yes! Dark choclolate, vanilla, and toffee are present as well...heaven...

Dry: hmmm...theres an odd lingering note that I'm not sure I like...what is it? kind of dark and plastic, not sweet...

Verdict: I want to salvage this; will try again... Edited by Shollin

Initial thoughts: Oh. My. Gawd. Lookit... all that... food...

In the imp: Oh god. Ohgodohgodohgod this smells so edible it should be made illegal. I get the buttercream, pralines, toffee and caramel most prominently, and a funny giggly note which I think might be the hops... a hint of nutty goodness, but only very, very slightly. I am now incredibly hungry. Om nom nom.

On the wrist, wet: This is... weird, and yet oddly hypnotic. It doesn't smell distinctly of any of the notes I picked out in the bottle - it's not even that heavy sugary smell I got from Sugar Skull. It's a weird, swollen boozy baking smell... nutty, even. It's making my mouth water.

Twenty minutes later: This is really, really weird. I smell like burnt caramel, sinful baking and evil maple syrup, with a weird boozy note. It's yummy, but it's also harsh and cruel and... odd.

Verdict: Keeper, but I don't know if I'm going to wear this often.

Tl;Dr: Sticky, sinful burnt caramel cookies.

This is beyond amazing in the bottle to me. It smells so good I want to eat on top of brownies or something or even make brownies out of it (I never would of course as this isn't edible and I'm sure the actual taste would be terrible). The sad part of this story is that when it dries it just kinda disappears on me no matter how much I apply. I will still keep this to sniff.

In the Imp

A less intense version of Drink Me: foody and cakey and warm and sweet-- butter and sugar and spices.

On Me

It's cute, but it fades out very quickly. I don't amp any of the notes very much-- it stays like it did in the imp and then sort of vanishes, though I'm glad the buttercream note didn't go rancid on me at all. Overall, it's pretty and fun, but it disappears too quickly and there are similar scents which give off the reaction I was hoping for from this which I'd probably reach for over Gluttony.

That said, foodie-lovers? Try it-- it IS yummy. Reminds me of Jessica Simpson's edible Creamy... but with a dash of the chocolate-y Dreamy.

In bottle- this smells divine. brownsugarcookies

on wet- hazelnut spiced coffee

drydown- warm spicy coffee

this leaves me quickly even after putting more on the second time testing.

This might be better as a room scent.yummy.

In the bottle it's all butter and hazelnuts. Very sweet.

Wet the vanilla comes out a bit and it starts to smell a bit like coffee.

As it dries it tastes an almost spicy ginger scent. Is interesting, I keep sniffing it and trying to decide if it's too sweet or not. I wore it to work once and someone asked who put cookies in the oven. Made me laugh. So the jury is still out on this one.

Super, super sweet!!!

It's like being drizzled with a sticky hazelnut liqueur, topped with caramel sauce and butter.

It's bitingly sweet. :P

I love it (and I was so afraid I wouldn't!) :D

this reminds me off one of my favorite Celestial Seasonings tea's, don't remember the name right now but it's a dessert one with hazel in it :P

it's so nice to wear when you have the horrible need to crave things you dn t want to have in your body!

like toffee's, ice~cream, syrups and more of that kind of stuff..

I am a foody lover, so this sounds like BLISS to me. I have had mixed luck with bpal's chocolate notes, but I am hopeful this will be nomnomnom heaven for me.

In the imp-WHOA-this is a BLAST of sugar @_@ VERY sweet. Under the thick layer of sugar I get the pralines and toffee and buttercream as the strongest notes.

On my skin-YUM! This pretty much is foody heaven. You get a little bit of all of the notes-and there is something a little boozy (the hops?) about this blend. Very nice. The sweetest, most decadent desert evar without the calories!

Ok, this loses a bit of oomph as it dries-in terms of both scent and throw, so it would be a blend that needs lots of reslathering. I wouldn't say it is one of my FAVORITE bpal foody blends, but it is definitely yum and the glutton in me will want to pick up a bottle one day :P

I might've reviewed this a year ago as one of my first ever reviews, but either way I think it deserves another more up-to-date one since my tastes have matured!

A gorgeously food-y scent with maybe a hint of cinnamon? I keep getting whiffs of warm fruit cake perhaps too? Dunno, but I want a bottle now!

:P :D

Ps. When I first sniffed this roughly a year ago, I thought it was rather sickly and unwearable. Oh how times have changed!

I ordered this thinking it was going to be rich, sweet, and decadent, and apparently it is such for most people. However, on me Gluttony seems only to have two stages:

wet: Burnt sugar (mixed with popcorn butter)

dry: Burnt dirt

The only consistent thing about it is the burnt quality... :P

I've been having similarly disappointing results with other foody oils (Jack and Drink Me), so I think it may have something to do with my nose, my skin chemistry, or both!

After a sniff from the bottle I almost past out from the sweetness. Dabbed on my left wrist it smells like caramel and maybe a bit of coffee, I'm sure though. However, its so sweet I don't think I could wear this regularly. Instead I'm going to save it and try it again when Aunt Flo visits me :P

If you love foodie scents, you will love Gluttony! As others have mentioned, it's a wonderful mixture of hazelnut and caramel and chocolate! Delicious! :P

I got this a while ago and liked it at the time, but it must not really have caught my attention. Was resniffing foodie imps yesterday and... ohhhhh.... mmmmm

OMGPONIES I SMELL NOMMABLE

It's mostly buttercream and hazelnut for me, with a bit of toffee. I don't get chocolate so much. I put some Bliss on next to it but decided Gluttony does better on its own. This is a glorious comfort scent and I've now transferred it to a roller bottle because I think I'll want to wear this a lot over winter.

Yes, you can scream toffee and caramel, but it`s not so so sickly sweet as I imagined. It`s totally wearable and lovely. I smell the coffee too, that gives an elegant shade to this little one. Slather it with no shame, please.

Chocolate covered cherries.... with out the cherry! It smells like the special type of chocolate they use for chocolate covered cherries, and that thick cream that is inside. Very strong. I love this scent!

Chocolate and vanilla heaven.

i really like this scent!

a yummy dusty chocolate but with warm caramel, toffee and hops adding a yummy caramel flavour - almost honey like - and then the hazelnut adding a woody note. the cream appears a bit later in the blend adding a new thick creamy dimension holding all the notes together

its delicious - if velvet, inez and agrat-bat-mahlaht had babies (ok, not really possible) then you would get gluttony

this scent definitely doesn't smell like i would have hoped but it is still nice. i can definitely smell the chocolate and hazelnuts. can kind of smell the caramel but i don't smell any hint of vanilla. as it's drying i smell more buttercream. overall, nice but not something i'll wear all the time.

OMG.. i CANT do this...

it smells super gross to me.

NOTHING has ever made me feel like puking like this does. the moment it touched my skin, i wanted to puke VERY BADLY. i had to scrub it off. its really bad for me. I dont seem to do too well with bpal gourmand scents. sugar skull,velvet and this totally didnt work out for me. but this was the WORST among all of them.

Im sorry, maybe its just me, or my skin. I dont know.

I really wanted to love this scent. In the imp and wet on my skin, it's such a lovely foody scent. But as it tries down, it turns into a nasty, bitter scent. I wish I knew what was causing the bitter note. I might try this as a room scent.

In the imp: dark caramel, maybe a little spicy

Fresh on the skin: A little lighter and quite a bit more alcoholic than in the imp (ah, probably the hops). If there were such a thing as caramel beer, I think it might smell a little like this.

10 minutes in: Wow, this is _rich_. I'm not a huge fan of Starbucks, but the thing I like most on their menu is the toffee bar, which is buttery and dense and toothsome -- and that's even before you get to the toffee and chocolate chunks. This reminds me of eating one of those with a steaming caramel latte made with homemade caramel sitting next to me. And maybe with a shot of caramel-flavored liqueur in the coffee, because that little alcoholicness is still around, just a bit.

30 minutes in: Hrm. This still smells delicious in a very toffeeish foody way, but the waft is starting to tickle my nose, it's so sweet and rich. And close in, the hops are definitely still present, which I feel rather neutral about. I'm not a huge beer fan, either, but this is still pretty nice, and maybe it's reining in the sweet a little.

1 hour in: This is a delicious smell, but it might be a little much. I swear I can feel sugar in the back of my throat.

2 hours in: Hmm. This has lightened up to a sugar and alcohol smell that's nice, but I prefer the earlier darker caramel. It's also turning my stomach a little, but maybe I'm just hungry? (It's lunchtime.) But I don't actually want to eat. Very weird.

3 hours in: Ah. It's gone sort of generic vanilla candle on me. Or maybe more like toffee candle, actually.

9 hours in: Faded chocolate and caramel.

10 hours in: Still there, and I bet there'd be something there for a couple more hours. I think I'm going to wash it off in favor of trying something else instead, though.

12 hours in: Um. Wow. I washed it off with soap (and even posted the original version of this review, which stopped at hour 10), thinking that it had probably faded enough that it wouldn't affect other scents too much. Then I applied Baku because I felt like I needed some calm. Baku is a really quick scent for me, but intense and transformative. The wrist that had had Gluttony on it? Smelled kind of terrible. I guess benevolent nightmare-eating Japanese spirits aren't too keen on Christian sins. Oops. But the funniest part about all of this? The Baku is mostly gone, just a lingering lavender-anise on the insides of my elbows (it lasts longer there than on my wrists). But the Gluttony remains, just a nice, light, last wisp of caramel.

Verdict: I love caramel, but this was maybe a little too sugary and rich for me. It almost pushes you too much towards the rather uncomfortable aftermath of gluttony, where the thought of eating more is deeply disturbing. And yet, and yet. I'll definitely be trying it again, I'm sure of it.

One word: caramel.

Edited by jencallisto

In the bottle: They stuck all the chocolate and amaretto candles in the store into this one little bottle somehow.

Wet: If anything it's gotten stronger.

Dry down: hmm. This scent really doesn't want to go away on me. I am getting a little more coffee and caramel which I like, but every once in a while it goes amaretto candle on me again which is not a scent I really want to wear.

I tried this one a second time to see if maybe it was just something weird with my nose the first time, but it went about the same. For some reason this stuff sticks around on me even through washing and an attempt to drown it with tangerine essential oil (although I actually like the combo until that amaretto smell reemerges)

Final thoughts:

I really want to like this on me. I love foody scents, but I think this one might work better for me as a room scent.

This was week old, cheap, stale, crystalized, vaguely metallic, imitation maple syrup. It would not go away, no matter how much I washed and it gave me a terrible, terrible headache.

I love my sweet, foody scents, but this was way too cloying for my tastes.

When I first gave it a sniff, I didn't even want to put it on, it was so strong and almost boozy. I definitely got the toffee right off the top, but it was followed by what I can only describe as that fake maple syrup taste. I gave it a shot anyway, since I know how things morph oddly on my skin. I could hate it in the bottle, but love it on my skin, and vice versa. While wet, I immediately got a strong, spicy English toffee.. like nag champa and caramel. After it dried, the spiciness remained, though an unexpected and cruel twist of fate caused it to go almost floral. :/ I wish I could identify the type of flower, but my nose isn't that experienced just yet. Perhaps it's the hops? I dunno.

I wish this worked for me, but it just made me smell like a mildly scented bouquet of flowers with cinnamon, cloves, and crushed butterscotch candies sprinked on top.