Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
grrrlennyl

Safari

A travel blend. Calms nerves, alleviates tension, soothes jetlag.

at first: lavender.
on: yup. lavender. fresh, gorgeous lavender.
1 hour later: this is definitely calming. there's an underlying sweetness to it, too.
2 hours later: this isn't the knock-you-out sort of scent that somnus is; it's more in the background, calming you softly.
overall: i can't wait to take this along with me when i travel from now on. i'll definitely be decanting an imp of it to keep in my purse.

i loooooooove safari. as grrrlennyl said, it's a sweet lavender. definitely keeping you awake and calm. it's PERFECT for having in a car oil diffuser on long trips - and after doing route 66 (roughly) in three days, i should know :P

This is a lavender that even I could fall in love with. Rich, sweet and supremely soothing. This bottle could not have arrived at a better time. I have three trips in as many months coming up. Safari will be accompanying me on all of them. :P

Soft, sweet herbal lavender. This smelled very similar to Somnus on me, but less intense, more of a calming affect rather than a soporific one. I'll be keepng this in my travel kit for certain.

Oh, this is sooo nice. I grabbed a bottle of it from a swap, just because everyone seemed to be looking for it.... and I'm so glad I impulse bought!

It's so soothing and beautiful.. a comforting hazy purple lavender. I just love it, and can't wait to wear this to bed tonight. It smells like pillows should smell as you nod off.. the scent of dreams.

Get this if you can, I can't imagine anyone disliking it.

Safari feels like a muted, earthy lavender to me. Very soothing. As luck would have it, my bottle arrived just before my trip to Prague, so I had a nice long flight during which to test it. It's a nice soft, inoffensive, unisex scent that can be applied on an airplane without disturbing one's fellow passengers . . . but when I really appreciated it was when I was trying to get to sleep that first night when my body clock was still set to Eastern Standard Time. It really helped me relax and adjust.

I just arrived home this afternoon, and I am about to pass out from the exhaustion of traveling and the whacko-ness of time-zone dislocation . . . so I plan to dab on some Safari again and get some deep, restful sleep.

Lovely blend; glad to have some.

Quite a nice blend. I stress out far too much, so though this may not be my 'travel' blend, it's definitely useful when the lists of organisms and diseases gets a touch overwhelming.

That said, Safari starts out a very bright and crisp true lavender. On my skin, it stays as such but creeping into it are two very calming aromatherapy components - what I believe are rose geranium and palmarosa. It's definitely a soothing lavender with a slight floral kick. Pleasant, and for me at least not sleep-inducing but quite calming.

Edited by Lycanthrope

A perfectly lovely and true lavender. I'm afraid I don't have more to add, but lavender fiends should definitely check it out.

A perfectly lovely and true lavender. I'm afraid I don't have more to add, but lavender fiends should definitely check it out.

I couldn't smell anything but lavender, either. Nice enough but not noticeably different from plain lavender essential oil.

There isn't much to add about this one that hasn't already been said. It does smell like lavender. I find lavender rather boring as a fragrance... I just never have managed to love it.

This is a pleasant scent though. Kind of sweet and powdery. I'll probably be giving away my decant, as I won't wear it much.

Safari

I've found a lot of BPAL's lavendery blends don't really work very well on me, but Safari seems to be a bit different. It starts off with a different version of lavender than I'm used to and smells like it has a very generous helping of BO in it. :P But within about 30 min or so, the BO note was completely gone (thank goodness!) and left in its place was a lovely herbal note. A very soft gentle herbal note. I'll probably keep mine around for functional purposes, though I probably wouldn't if it were just meant to be perfume.

This is lavender all right, with, I suspect a touch of camomille? Calming, soothing, quite nice. I will give this a whirl at bedtime tonite and can imagine dribbling a bit in the boys bathwater before bad as well. There is nothing perfumy about it at all, it is a theraputic lavender at it's best, simple and gentle and lovely.

First Impression: Oily Lavender - almost has a hint of gasoline in it.

Dries down to: Still lavender but the oiliness has faded quite a bit and it's become more herbally.

Additional Comments: I love lavender and, although I'm not enamoured of the "oily" component, I still quite like the blend once it decreases in intensity. I originally bought the bottle because I'm always nervous travelling in cars and on planes and since I find it quite soothing, it fits the bill perfectly as a "travel oil". If it continues to keep me calm on the road, I'll probably keep buying bottles of it.

Lasted: A few hours.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 for the scent and 4.5 out of 5 as a panacea.

First sniff: Lavender and something sweeter. I used this during my Thanksgiving travels and slept like a log, but didn’t get around to doing an official review until now.

Wearing: zzzzzz*snork*wha? Oh, right, sposta be writing a review. Isspurty. *zzzzzzzz*

I'll cut straight to the chase: it works.

I'm a nervous traveller; I get anxious a day or so before I take a big trip. I used this before, during, and after a transatlantic flight over the holidays. It calms me down the minute I put it on, in fact I'd recommend it for anyone who gets anxious in a stressful situation, eg. someone who wants to sleep the night before an exam. It also seemed to help with the jetlag. I was able to sleep for a few hours on the flight (not always possible) and a quick nap once I arrived meant jetlag was not a problem.

Maybe I should also add that Somnus worked terribly on me, kept me awake or in shallow sleep.

As for how it smells, the dominant scent is a strong lavender, reminscent of the Wellandia bath stuff. There is also a deeper herbal scent that I cannot identify. It is pleasant, but the way it smelled was not my primary interest.

Safari

In the imp: lavender…it's almost like pure lavender oil.

Wet on skin: lavender and nothing else, it seems.

Dry on skin: a soothing, gentle lavender scent. It's a very strong lavender scent. This smells very similar to Lush's Waving Not Drowning ballistic…I'm not sure if there are other notes in here-I'm sure there are but all I recognise is lavender.

After a while: the lavender remains but is a lot calmer on my skin-it's faded a lot now. I think there may be a drop of geranium in here-or maybe even patchouli, as I detect something else in this scent which isn't lavender. It's very, very light now, almost barely there…but now I've smelt it again, I think it could be patchouli.

Verdict: this is a soothing, restful lavender scent. at first the scent is all lavender, but it does remind me somewhat of Lush's Waving Not Drowning. It's a calming scent, but doesn't last long. The lavender fades and leaves a light scent on the skin which I think is patchouli and geranium. This is not a perfume but definitely one I'd use for therapeutic reasons-I'd take this on travels, but I could also use this to help me sleep…I don't need a bottle of it but I'm definitely keeping the imp as it will come in handy. I may also give this to my dad-he's a tour guide who regularly goes to Asia and other far flung parts of the world…he needs this!

this is amazing.

i haven't tried it for travel, but it really feels incredibley calming and centering...like standing with my feet way, way down in the earth.

beautiful lavender. kind of wise woman scent to me. very excellent.

In the imp: *lots* of lavender, sweet and fresh and clean.

On me, wet: still lavender, and a bit of .. geranium, maybe? a faint floral that ads a sweetness to the lavender.

On me, dry: man, and I thought Quietude was relaxing. Knots in my back I didn't know I had are untensing. Wonderful pure lavender softness.

Verdict: Oh, definitely a keeper. I shall try wearing it next week for the long train journeys I'll be making, and if it's as relaxing then as it is now, I may need much more.

bottle:

dry floral

wet:

bright light floral…

dry:

nice - light floral, on the drier side (almost powdery in a good way!) hint of citrus

overall:

I like this.

rating: 8/10

Lavender.

There’s something else in here. I think it’s geranium. I have geranium essential oil and sniffing that, and imagining lavender, I could imagine this scent.

It’s a very soothing scent and quite lovely. If I got tense during travels, then I believe this would be an excellent oil to try.

Safari - This opens up with a blast of heavy purple lavender. It's heavy and thick like Somnus, but not as herbal. It almost immediately takes on a sweetness that I haven't encountered in lavender before, so I'm positive there's something else blended in with this...but what? As it dries, I detect the slightest hint of what might be chamomile, and that "sweet" facet of this blend begins to morph and take on a slightly herbal quality without losing its sweetness. This is a fascinating scent and I prefer it over any other lavender blend I've ever encountered. I can't say, however, that it works to ease my travel "pains." I've taken it with me on the last couple of trips I went on -- one by air and one by car. I don't have a fear or flying or driving, but I thought it might help me make the transition from frazzled worker bee into a rested and relaxed vacationer a little easie r, but I didn't notice it helped. I also thought it might calm me down and help me fall to sleep a little easier in strange beds in strange hotel rooms in strange locations, and especially with jet-lag on the air trip. Again, I noticed no difference than normal when I travel. However, if I'm wearing it at home, I find it works much like I would expect Quietude to work, so while it doesn't work its intended way on me, it still works (and smells pretty), so I'm keeping it. When I'm done with the lavender linen spray I'm currently using, I may just have to make a linen spray out of Safari.

Ahhhhhhhh. :D Lavender. :P

I once worked for Avalon Organics here in NorCal. They grew and harvested their own Lavandula officinalis and used it in various forms in almost all of their products. This is that same variety of herbal, sweet lavender that I dab on my temples and wrists whenever I get a migraine. It's both analgesic and helps prevent nausea, perfect for when travel goes bad. I'll also use Safari when I get a headache or in conjunction with my Somnus when I want a great night's sleep.

Beautiful. Lavender is so underrated as a perfume scent, I think in part because most "lavender" perfumes are synthetic and smell nothing like the essential oil or the plant. This is perfume-quality pure lavender oil, not overpowering or medicinal but instead soft and clean.

I really, really love Safari.

Safari is a soft, rich, round, woodsy lavender. It's not sharp or astringent, as some lavenders can be - just deep and rich and gorgeous. Absolutely wonderful. It's also incredibly relaxing. I wear it both as a bedtime perfume (it doesn't actually knock me out, but it's lovely and soothing) and as a daytime perfume when I'm really upset and need to calm the hell down.

Fabulous stuff.

Lavender! Hell yes. It smells quite good. There's something somewhat astringent in there, too.

I'll be passing this on to my mum, as she has a much better appreciation of lavender than me, but I'll probably wind up with an imp of my own eventually.