Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blood*rose*flowers

Old Scratch

Old Nick, the Devil himself, as seen through the eyes of Victorian New England. A jaunty, dapper scent, deceptively genteel: a lavender fougere with tonka, amber, rosewood and a whiff of diabolical patchouli.

This is nice....smooth. I'm getting lavender, amber, and tonka on my skin. The patchouli note is very mild on my skin. I find this scent very soothing and I think I may be tempted to buy another GC bottle after all. ;)

Why does this smell foodie? I get caramel, and then mint. Maybe that's the lavender, it can be a bit of a chameleon sometimes. Masculine.

In the imp - tonka, amber, patchouli and lavender.

On wet - the fougere is strongest, but accented by patchouli and tonka.

Drydown - Oh, I really like this. This dries down to a warm, comforting, lovely scent. The tonka, amber, rosewood and patchouli are wonderfully blended. I may get a bottle of this. This is absolutely outstanding :D

in the imp, I'm not so sure about this. Very much a cologne type smell. As soon as I put it on the patchouli jumps out, but fades pretty quickly, just lingering in the background. Its all lavender and rosewood, with an almost aquatic sharpness. Its very fresh and clean smelling on me, like expensive soap. Oh wait, the sharp soapiness has faded. Its still fresh and clean, but the amber is smoothing it out.... and turning it to baby powder. For a second there, it got my hopes up. This would be amazing on someone who's skin doesnt turn it into a powdery mess, I can still smell it there, lurking under the powder and its very nice.

This definitely started off as lavender cologne, but after a few minutes the sharp edges wore off and some sweetness came out. Actually, a lot of sweetness, more from the amber than the tonka. I almost smell berries or fruit. I think this is what amber does to flowers on my skin sometimes - it turns them into fruity syrups. I still smell the lavender, which is the only thing saving it at this point. But it's just a bit too sweet for me, I think. I like sweet scents sometimes, but I was expecting something more akin to a men's cologne, and my chemistry turned it into something completely different. :(

I didn't find this to be "masculine." If I had, I think I would have liked it a lot more.

In Imp: Pale yellow oil. STRONG lavender. Very strong. ...For the record? I kind of hate lavender with the fiery passion of a thousand burning suns. Ugh. And this sounded so nice. Still. I must try it.

Wet: Did I mention there was some strong lavender in this? Because there is. It's really. really. lavender. Oh dear Lord. I think my eyes are watering. There may be other notes. I do not doubt the presence of other notes. Except hello overpowering lavender. Maaaaybe I could see some rosewood around the edges, but this is pretty much the lavender show. All lavender, all the time. Can I wash this off?

Dry: ....Okay, now. Hm. Warm, woodsy resin. Almost sweet, but not quite. Slightly cologne-like, in an expensive way. Very comfortable and perhaps more unisex to me than straight up bloke. And, hallelujah, no lavender. It has gone. It is an ex-note. It has passed to the choir invisible. THANK GOD.

I grin because I can only smell the patchouli right up close, as something earthy-ashy against my skin. From a distance, all I can smell is the wood-resin throw. Very fitting.

Alas, it doesn't seem to stick around well on me. ...More encouragement to just get the bottle, then, I suppose.

EDIT: I have since acquired a very aged bottle of this. As in, cobalt bottle old. So, four or five years, I think? We'll go with four. The lavender in it has actually backed down with age. Oh, it's still a predominantly lavender scent in the bottle and wet, but it's not acrid lavender. It's actually almost pleasant and soothing. Huh. I may like aged lavender. (Well... I do prefer four to five year old Lurid to fresh...)

Oh, and it lasts a good deal longer now. Woot.

Edited by thebirdofhermes

Wet: Lavender comes out strongly at first, which is fine by me, because I love a good lavender scent.

Initial drydown: The lavender from before is dying back, and the scent turns into a cooler-toned Dee. That must be the tonka and rosewood interacting with the lavender.

Drydown: As it dries and develops on my skin, the lavender dies back more and more, revealing the tonka, rosewood, and amber. There's still a trace amount of something cooling in here that keeps it away from the warm of Dee, but this is very nice, very nice indeed. I'm not picking up on the patchouli, a major plus for me.

The other scent this resembles, in feel more so than notes, is Lyonnesse, which also remains cool feeling although the notes that stand out on my skin all should be warm. I have a feeling that on me at least, Old Scratch is going to be a similar sleeper hit.

In the imp: Lavender, strong but not as sharp as it can be.

Wet: Creamy lavender, amber seems to be softening it some.

Dry down: Rosewood base becomes more noticeable, something solid for the lavender to lie on.

Dry: This is definitely a lavender scent, but the amber and tonka (both favorites of mine) and the rosewood all work to smooth it out, get rid of the astringency lavender can have sometimes.

Overall: Soft, round and comfy. This is a scent to curl up with. Maybe even sleep to, if I wasn't devoted to Lights of Men's Lives as my bedtime blend.

Oooh wow. I thought I was ordering just another variation of lavender fougere... but no! This is sexy and amazing...

Wet: lavender pouf with distinctive meatiness + strength of tonka and warm rounded amber. The lavender sharpness slides away quickly leaving a predominantly tonka smell. I'm in love.

Drydown: still decent throw! The tonka is clinging on and becomes even more dominant. This and Perversion makes me realize why vanilla leaves me feeling empty... I could totally wear this every day for months and be happy.

Much nicer than I expected! The first thing I notice is the lavender, which is crisp and pleasantly bracing. The tonka adds some sweetness, but not enough to spoil the coolness and weight of the scent. I also get a "cool" impression from this, even though the patchouli, resin, and wood should make this distinctly warm, especially with the tonka. But somehow, even though I can smell the smoky, woody, resin notes, this adds up to a cool scent. The lavender fougere, maybe?

This is a great scent, and one I probably wouldn't have picked out on my own.

I will start out by saying that this is not a scent I would have chosen for myself based on the description. I was surprised with the experience I had wearing it!

*In vial: Masculine, sharp and almost tingling. This may be the straight up lavender others are mentioning.

*Wet on skin: Amber, with an intense patchouli underlay. I'm not crazy about patch usually, so I was a little skeptic at this point.

*Dry: Lavender slowly takes center stage. The harsher patchouli note recedes at rosewood's request. Almost reminiscent of baby powder at first, but more complex. The tonka sneaks in gradually, lending a sweeter, alluring middle layer.

Verdict: l I was so much more pleased with Old Scratch than I expected to be, especially on me! The first, more macho stage drifted off pretty soon, leaving the smoldering, smooth feel to linger. It just melds into this entwining and very attractive scent. Definitely worth having an imp of, I don't see myself wearing it often enough to justify a bottle. That could change if I convince hubby to wear it... ;)

Edited by anyseka

I saw lavender in the description and knew I must try it, and the fact that it contained tonka only sweetend the deal.

In the imp: Soft lavedner (wish it could have been stronger), tonka, and something else I can't quite put my finger on

Wet: Lavender goodness with tonka with a tiny bit of patchouli lurking around in the back, pleasant

Dry: Wait! don't leave me! I need you! Now all that is left is a baby powder like smell. Clean, a pinch of lavender, but not not something I really like. It reminds me of my grandmother's bathroom, face powder mixed with an old lady air freshener. Not my thing at all.

Final verdict: This one utterly breaks my heart. I have tried it three different times during the month and it doesn't seem to like my skin. I think I am going to cry in the corner. At least I can smell the imp...oh well.

Edit: So Lady Macbeth came to visit for the month and I tried Old Scratch again and magically the tonka appeared on my skin creating a lovely scent.

Edited by TheFrenchWaffle

I love lavender and I'm gradually learning to appreciate patchouli, so I thought that with the tonka to sweeten it up this might be good. However, the lavender is very sharp upon application. The rosewood and patchouli come out, making this a sharp dirty wood smell. Where are the amber and tonka? I really need something sweeter in this scent, and for some reason the amber and tonka are not delivering. I think if they actually showed up I would like this scent a lot, but since they don't, I don't. Off to swaps!

Patchouli, tonka and rosewood are love for me, but on my skin, the lavender gobbles them all utterly. Not a whiff of anything but lavender. Lavender from the word go. In the dry stage, if I strain, I can just catch the barest hint of rosewood, but it never quite emerges from the lavender's iron grasp, and about twenty minutes into the drydown, amber crashes the party and there's nothing but lavender-scented baby powder.

Sigh.

I was hoping for something a bit more... diabolical. It's a nice lavender, mind you: very classy and smooth and suave lavender, but it's all gentility and no deviltry. I smell like a rather fussy gentleman's linen drawer. It's quite sweet and lovely and comforting, and it seems like a nice sleep scent for me, but it's not quite wicked enough for other purposes. Oh, lavender.

amber and lavender, bordering on the medicinal. slighty powdery but not necessarily in a bad way.

i think the most unhelpful thing about this review is...i can sort of see...old scratch...smelling like this?

In the Imp:smells less sinister and more like...hippies. The Patchouli is VERY strong with an otherwise general herbal background.

Wet:The patchouli is much less obvious on my skin, the herbal background really shows through, with a whiff of lavender and some other floral scent...

Drydown:ugh my skin is just eating this one up! All I smell now is lavender and herb garden. :( This is quite sad my skin usually does really well with Lavender and Amber but this is just turning into floral powder on my skin.

Edited by Verilita

In the bottle, this is a wicked, masculine lavender, along with something sharp and almost citrusy, which is odd, because there's no citrus in this. I never thought lavender could be masculine before I got into BPAL, but now I know different. This is definitely more of a cologne than a woman's blend. Wet on my skin, it stays distinctive and masculine but goes a little soapy, although not in a bad way. It smells like something someone would slather on the cover up the scent of his evil deeds. On the drydown, the woods start to come out, mellowing the lavender and cutting some of the soapiness. Eventually, it dried down to something without distinct individual notes, just a sweet, atmospheric blend. It has a good but subtle throw -- I kept getting hints of it throughout the day.

Edited by detritius

In the imp, the lavender is really strong with an underlying men's cologne scent, but not like a cheap drugstore brand. I thought this would smell nice on my husband, so we both tried it. This is where it gets a little odd. The first night my husband wore it, it was amazing on him. It was a gentlemanly scent with just a touch of wickedness. He loved it, and I loved it on him. On me it was a little too masculine for me to want to wear, although still very nice, a lavender touched cologne without the musty note of doom I usually get from the lab's lavender.

So the second time my husband wore this, it was pure soap. Grandma's rose soap. He smelled like a little old lady. We both hated it.

He gave it another try because of the first wearing. Still soapy but less so, a compromise between that first magical touch of wicked gentleman and little old lady. We won't be getting a bottle for him because of the inconsistency, and it's a shame. If it had stayed like that first touch, he said he would have liked it even more than Villain, which is just magic on him.

Stash rec.

In the imp: very sharp, herbal scent

Wet on skin: same as before, with a little more wood. I think I'm mostly getting the patchouli, with hints of the lavender and rosewood

Dried down: is it weird to say it smells kind of lemony or limey without being citrusy? I think the patchouli or rosewood cancels out the "citrus" for me

After about five minutes dried down: ok, this is softer and I like it a lot better now - more of the lavender comes out to play

Throw: I'm not really smelling it unless I lift my wrists up, but.... My eyes kind of started hurting and I got the beginnings of a headache when I put this on. There's a possibility there's other things contributing to that, but I think this perfume might have something to do with it, too. Ugh.

Verdict: *** I might give it another try, but I think this imp is going to be swapped or frimped in the future for someone else to try. I did like the ending scent which emphasizes the lavender fougere, but I didn't really enjoy the journey getting there, and I have other scents I like better than the ending, also.

This was a frimp from the Lab.

In the imp: Bright lavender.

Wet: Lavender with tonka underneath. As it dries it veers very close to getting too sharp and soapy, and then just avoids that.

This is one of the blends that smells different depending on where it’s applied. On the insides of my elbows, the rosewood comes out very strongly. On the back of my hand, the tonka and amber mix to form a lovely, sweet little cloud, just tinged with lavender. I tested Hesiod’s Phoenix recently, and the combination of tonka and amber in Old Scratch is reminiscent of the bourbon vanilla and amber in Hesiod’s Phoenix. I love it!

The one note I never get is the patchouli. Interesting, considering the name and inspiration, I don’t find this diabolical at all. In fact, I’d say it’s positively heavenly. :smile: I do definitely get the “jaunty, dapper” feel of a traditional gentleman’s cologne, but, while I think this would smell wonderful on a man, it’s not masculine at all on my skin. It’s definitely unisex.

Another lovely blend that I would not have thought to pick for myself. Thanks, Lab!

Full disclosure, this died a bit on my skin - it wasn't terrible, but it didn't rock my world. The blend never settled right for me, but then I put it on my man...

In the imp: Giant lavender with a bit of patchouli lurking behind. But seriously, biggest lavender in the world.

Wet: Still lots of lavender but the fougere and patchouli push forward to pull it back and balances it really quickly. (His comment at this stage: "oh, this one's going to be really good!")

Dry: Beautiful! Musky lavender fougere. It's got a nice sweetness from the tonka and a bit of darkness from the patchouli. I'm not noticing the amber but there is something baby powder-like in there which might be it.

Great on my dude! It's a total everyday man scent, too. It hasn't got loads of throw, and the lavender fougere is classic and non-girly so he wouldn't wig about wearing it in public. It's not as sweet as Dorian either and therefore more likely to get some regular wear. Victory! Villain works on him too, and I feel the need to do a quick comparison between the two because they are similar but Old Scratch is probably better. Villain is lighter and a bit sweeter, it's the smiling, calm-headed style villain, whereas Old Scratch is heavier and a bit darker - still totally dapper and charming, but it's carries weight. It's got confidence and a boldness to it :wub3:

Wet: Creamy fougere and glowing rosewood.

Drydown: Lavender paired with creamy-sweet tonka. There’s a bit of herbal-spiciness, but it’s smoothed over by a particularly charming rosewood. Creamy, smooth, herbal, and glowing. It sweetens as it dries.

Dry: Creamy herbal goodness. The amber glows, but doesn’t take over. The rosewood is smooth and romantic, while the lavender offers a spicy-herbal freshness. But the tonka, in all its creamy glory, is the king of the show. Glowing herbal cream.

8 out of 10 bones

ooh, pretty! this starts out with just lavender. i love bpal's lavender note- so true. then shortly after i get the rosewood peeking through a bit, adding some depth. then the lavender gets stronger, almost kind of citrussy here, not sure why that's happening, but it is. i really think this is mostly lavender and rosewood, i really don't seem to get many other notes. maaaybe a hint of amber? but really, i do not get tonka or patchouli as far as i can tell. this scent smells very "clean" to me, in a classic sort of way.

In the imp: Fuzzy, slightly vanillic mens' cologne.

Wet on my skin: MMmmm. Gorgeous, masculine cologne. Mostly spicy lavender and wood at this point.

Dry: Yet again, a Devil-inspired scent makes me smell so good that I feel like I could take over the world myself! This is lavender, amber, and tonka on me once dry, with just a hint of sweet rosewood. I can't really detect the patchouli, but I think it's just enough to ground the scent and keep it from going department store cologne. This is a somehow old-fashioned scent, and it's the sort of thing I'd expect from a rugged-yet-dashing stranger in the Old West. Gods, this is niiiice. This is one of those that has me huffing myself because I smell so sexy.