Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Thorne

Ace of Hearts

Soul sister of the Ace of Cups in the tarot, this is the Primordial energy of Water: the Heart, emotional release and receptivity, intuition, fertility, and the forces of love, beauty, pleasure and happiness. Purest white lotus, white rose, rain orchid, rose gardenia, freesia, and Bulgarian rose.

Origin:

Imp from my Imp Pimp, Diana. :D

Preconceived notions:

This is going to be so bad on me. I know it just by looking at the notes, but I had to try it. Just because.

First sniff:

Pure floral evil! :P

This really is a flower garden in a bottle. The rose and orchid are the most intense of the notes, with the freesia coming in close behind and the lotus not making any appearance at all that I can find...unless it's not the bubblegum lotus I'm accustomed to.

Wet on skin:

Eww, roses! Get 'em off me, get 'em off me! This is so bad on me it's not even funny. I knew this was going to happen, but this is even worse than I'd imagined. I'm not saying that Beth didn't make a lovely perfume, I'm saying that I really, truly despise floral notes as a general rule and can't get them off of me fast enough, even if she does work her BPAL magic on them. :D

Dry down:

All I smell in here now is rose...unless that's a hint of bubblegum in the background that I'm smelling. I'm not sure if it is. I could be hallucinating and just imagining it as I still have nightmares about the way lotus smells. :D

The bottom line:

So, so bad on me. This lived up to my nightmares. :D

Ace of Hearts smells almost entirely of rose on me. With a little bit of powder underneath. It does smell white -- the whitest rose I've smelled in any BPAL oil. And it's a little bit aquatic. Gets quite sweet after a while.

It's a lovely scent, very feminine and soft. It doesn't have much throw at all, but as rose scents tend to overpower on my skin, I'm happy with the throw.

Do you know what's interesting? I'm starting to like rose. Egad! Me, liking rose. Insanity. About a month ago I started noticing that Beth's roses were starting to win me over, despite my dislike of the scent. But they're just so beautiful.

In the bottle: Freesia....alot of it!!

Wet: The freesia express has pulled into town and brought it's friends honeysuckle and I think I'm getting the lotus but the damn fressia is so loud out front....I hope it calms down.

Dry:The floral is softening quite a bit, it doesn't come across as a big juicy floral anymore, more like reserved mature floral.

1 hour later: I'm disappointed, it was so promising as it dried down. I'll give it another chance and hope my chemistry doesn't turn it into a laundry sheet again.

This is dainty sweet and light. This is floral and green and so refreshing. I also get a water note from this which I haven't in other oils. I think it is the addition of the lotus. The more I sniff my wrist, the more glad I am to have purchased a bottle of this. Deelish!

In the imp: sweet pure wet white florals. Wow.

On me, wet: oh, man, the gardenia is almost pear-like - white and damp and sweet. This is very pure and bright and clean-smelling, with a lot of wateriness, and a lot of floral.

On me, dry: this is such a delicate, sweet, girly scent. All those florals produce a slightly fruity, watery, clean rose-fronted blend. It's very faint, unfortunately.

Verdict: Lovely - but I suspect (after some comparison) Peony Moon will fill the same spot in my scent-wardrobe. Still, I'll hang onto my half-imp.

Edited by storme

Ace of Hearts is so pretty! It's a lovely floral. It's difficult to identify the notes, but I get a distinct impression that there are beautiful, soft white florals and possibly a tiny drop of white fruit – perhaps grape or pear? When wet on my skin, it has a note in it that distinctly reminds me of High John the Conqueror, which surprises me since this is so floral and High John is fruity. It's a really pretty, soft, summery blend. It's uncomplicated and just really pretty. It doesn't have much throw and it's almost completely gone after 1.5 hours.

I love lotus, and I hoped it would overpower the other florals.

Nope. This is a pure, sweet floral, and I don't do those. Swap.

In the imp: Light and perfumey. There's a lot of floral action, but the lotus and rose come out on top.

Wet: Very light and sweet. Almost an old lady scent.

Dry: A bit sweeter and soapy. Damnable orchid- it always turns soapy on me.

I'm not quite sure what I was thinking when I ordered this, seeing as florals tend to destroy me, but we'll try it anyway.

In the vial - Lots of rose with a touch of freesia in there. It's a sweet rose, too. Oh, I'm worried...

Wet - ROSE. Oh my gosh, all I can smell is rose.

Drying - I can get some of the lotus now, but it's still very rose. I also pick up a hint of what people have described as "dryer sheets," although I tend to associate it with the scent of green, freshly cut stems.

Dry (45 minutes later) - I never thought I'd say it, but... I really LIKE this one. It's staying with the scent of freshly cut roses surrounding the bloom of a single lotus, all floating peacefully in a bowl of water. A very white and feminine scent that I'm finding myself addicted to. The throw is nonexhistant, though, which is sadly normal for me.

Overall - This reminds me rose water when you get down to it, with a few notes of lotus kicked in. It's very soft and feminine and I oddly like the sweetness to it. I get images of victorian ladies from this soft scent. I'll keep it around for awhile to see if it continues to bring these lovely, womanly images to mind. The scent of long flowing skirts and soft laughter...

In the bottle: Light florals, nothing specific.

Wet: Gardenia, a little freesia, a little rose, and an almost pale fruitiness. The gardenia is most present, but is supported by the other flowers nicely.

Dry: A sweet little floral, slightly sun-warmed but very refreshing. It feels like spring just smelling it. :P

I am in love.

Although I have to say this is not one of my top 10 it is definitely in the top 20.

wet - freesia and gardenia

dry - this turns into the most sparkling (big sparkles) white floral. The rose, freesia, gardenia and lotus seem to co-mingle together perfectly. They also seem to switch positions in the pecking order as well. Sometimes the rose is at the top, sometimes others. There is also a hint brown - whatever that means. It just feels like brown to me.

This is a heady one though. I think that is what is keeping this in the Top 20 instead of the Top 10.

gorgeous nonetheless. Glad I have a bottle.

In the vial: really faint roses.

On the skin: Yeah, it's roses. It's so faint it's hard to find it on my skin. It's fresh and sweet, so very girly. Not my favorite of the rose scents I've tried, but very very nice!

I got this bottle on ebay, the end of summer, not knowing what to expect, but just loving the label. It has become one of my "go to" perfumes, when I'm not sure what dab on for the day. :D

I have such luck with Beth's interpertaions of rose perfume's. Rose Red being my all time favorite, Ace of Hearts and Peony Moon my second's. I find that this has a very long staying power. On me? It's a fresh blossoming rose, weaved with a creamy sweetness, which just avoids being cloying. Not a stale rose, or a dried rose, or a potpourri-esque rose. But, fresh velvety petal's.

I also love to wear this when I'm in a hormonal mode. I do the whole pampering bath, cup of tea, relax with book/movie, and then dab a bit of Ace of Hearts on. It makes me feel serene and balenced. :P

Edited by growwild

Oh, dear. This sounds lovely, really it does, but if you'll pardon a pun, florals are not my strong suit.

I smell the rose notes right up top, with a clear perfumey floral I don't recognize. The alpine scent of freesia is a chill, sweet note, bright but almost buried under the rest.

This improves on, develops a little depth with the candylike lotus on one side and the rich roses on the other. Something in here is very green, possibly the orchid. I like it. The throw is profoundly beautiful, a light, airy floral that beckons so sweetly. It's a wistful, gentle scent, breakable almost.

It's not too perfumey, but because it's so floral it's more traditional rather than less. And, in a welcome departure from the norm, it doesn't go skanky on me. This stays light, green, and beautiful the whole time, from first application to weardown, only developing a trace of powder toward the very end.

Beautiful scent. Shame it was an LE and I'll probably never see it again.

Imp: Sweet florals

Wet: Wow, that's freesia. I don't smell rose at all yet. As far as florals go, it's a very clean, white fragrance. Very smooth and almost creamy. Fresh and sweet.

Dry: Blaaaaaaaah! Lotus. It's a little sour and definitely still not roses. Oh well, I have Rose Red to keep me happy.

If you don't like florals, this scent is not for you. It's like the Queen's garden, blended up with a little cream.

I remember when I saw this being offered just for the forum; I had to get it because of the whole energy of Water; being a Cancer with a Scorpio ascendant how much more do you need to see I had to get this???

I do enjoy rose..while it being the note that my sister wears I am always on the lookout for blends that incorporate it since sis has claimed Rose Red one of her signature fragrances. The freesia and gardenia are also winners for me and I was intrigued by the rain orchid.

So..here it goes:

Initial sniff from bottle: Smells like white roses…and maybe a touch of the gardenia. A tad bit sweet in the back…perhaps it’s the lotus???? For whatever reason, when inhaling this blend I can’t help but conjure up in my mind white, silver, water and florals. It just seems a bit cool and sweet and soothing.

Applied wet on skin: Roses..and lotus and gardenia and orchids…it’s a beautiful mélange of the florals…and they don’t scream for attention. This blend is quiet on me but not invisible. Rose isn’t amping up…maybe the gardenia and lotus are tempering it..but it plays nice with the other flowers. Beautiful.

Couple of minutes on skin: Rose has softened a bit..still present but it makes more room for the gardenia/orchid /freesia. Sweet..but not cloying..but so very delicate too.

Ten minutes later:Softened..but now I get more of the gardenia/freesia/orchid with the rose in the backseat and the lotus again lending it’s sweetness like a veil. It is fading fast on me..but it is beautiful while it hangs around.

Half an hour later: Softened yet again..but I still get the whispery waft of the gardenia and orchid over the lotus.

Drydown: Sweetness…orchid and gardenia.

Lasting power not bad; 5+hours but the throw is soft.

Bottom Line: Ace of Hearts is a beautiful interpretation of the energy of Water; nothing really akin to it from my limited experience with the GC of BPAL florals…I find it subtle but stunning. Perfect for spring /summer and even in the colder months when I want to revisit the sweet allure of rain-kissed white florals that shimmer like silver…that’s the imagery I get.

I got a bottle of this off ebay, unsniffed, I really liked the sound and image of this.

In the bottle and wet on my skin: Freesia and gardenia. Oh where are the roses that I wanted? I like freesia, gardenia too, but they are not too suited to my body chemistry.

Later on: It's still a softer version of the same freesia-gardenia blend on me.

A lovely white floral scent, soft and sweet and lovable, but not one that I will be reaching for often enough. Propably off to the swap pile.

ifinena

Edited by ifinena

In bottle: Smells like rose dominant flower scented shampoo. Not auspicious. Wet: I'm guessing the orchid is adding a little richness, and you can pick out the other flowers better. This is really a scent for young girls, fresh, light, sweet, with little substance. Dry, it goes all rose soap on me.

Wet, Ace of Hearts is a lovely rose with a pretty bouquet of fresh flowers blending together in the background.

As it dries down, the rose dims to allow itself to be balanced, and the freesia, orchid, and gardenia step forward and dance.

This is a very pretty, well-blended scent. I really love the freesia especially; it's a note I haven't yet smelled in a BPAL and it's very fresh and bright.

This is exactly what I would expect the Ace of Hearts to smell like. Weird! I continue to be blown away by how Beth can take an image or a symbol and assign a smell to it. She's a master of her craft!

A soft, springy floral. I will probably resign myself to wearing this in the springtime months.

I am very picky with rose, and this is a winner.

4.6 out of 5

Ace of Hearts is one of my favorite BPAL scents. I smell white roses in a blend of other flowers. How the rose blends with others is somewhat magical. I do not amp rose, so this manages to stay cohesive from application to drydown. I like to wear this mainly in the spring, before the heat of summer arrives.

In the bottle: Nearly colourless extremely pale yellow oil. Sweet, fresh (citrusy?) flowers. Roses (rich bulgarian, tart white), freesia, gardenia, and a light touch of lotus. Utterly feminine.

Wet: The freesia is so gorgeous and distinct, and the Bulgarian rose is strongest but not bullying. The white rose is slightly sour, and white lotus very sweet, but not bubblegum like its pink sister - it's more refined. The orchid is there too, heady and cool, while gardenia is a pure, classic white flower. Very well balanced.

Dry: I'd swear there is something citrusy in here, it's just so fresh. The gardenia, slightly amped, is the loveliest, truest gardenia I've ever smelled in a BPAL blend, and it doesn't take over as other gardenias. Likewise, the strong freesia is delightfully crisp and clean and bright. The orchid has amped loads and is the strongest note, very heavy and rich. Lotus and roses hold just below.

Later: So pure and feminine, and while intensely floral, it does have a cool, rainy feel to it that makes gives it an aquatic vibe. That freesia stays strong while other notes fade, and it's the first to hit me each time I sniff. Orchid is right below, then gardenia. The white rose is going a bit soapy, and the lotus is just a touch to sweet and sort of enhances the headiness of the orchid.

Summary: Heady orchid, bright white gardenia, refined yet heavily sweet white lotus and soapy white rose over lush, fresh Bulgarian rose and crisp, almost citrusy freesia. An amazingly well-balanced bouquet of white flowers. Very feminine, clean, and slightly aquatic. Good throw but fades quickly.

The heavy orchid and soapy white rose ruin this for me, which is a shame because I just adore the freesia and gardenia notes here, and I always love Bulgarian rose. While the lotus is always a bit too sweet, it'd be bearable without the overbearing orchid and soapy tinge. Alas, skin chemistry. :P

This one is surprisingly wearable. On wet, I get a very strong apple blossom note that I associate with the rose in Rose Red. That fades away pretty quickly and I'm left with a soft, white rose with hints of freesia.

Very fresh, very pure, soft. Feminine. For a rose blend, I definitely love it.

I don't see myself wearing this often, but it really is gorgeous. I can see this being very appropriate for a wedding.