Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Thorne

Ace of Hearts

Soul sister of the Ace of Cups in the tarot, this is the Primordial energy of Water: the Heart, emotional release and receptivity, intuition, fertility, and the forces of love, beauty, pleasure and happiness. Purest white lotus, white rose, rain orchid, rose gardenia, freesia, and Bulgarian rose.

Thanks to ivyandpeony for posting the Lab description in the "Anyone tried it?" thread:

One word for the Ace of Hearts? Sweet. So girly sweet.

The rose and orchid make this deliciously, gloriously, fresh-cut flower scent bloom. This is a happy, springtime, soft red, dark pink scent, like that great natural blush you get when you are madly in love and can't stop smiling. It's not a perfumey flower scent, which is a very good thing. It just smells like fresh flowers from the garden, cut as a present for your new lover.

I only put on a tiny bit, but this doesn't have a lot of throw - you would have to lean in close to my body to smell it, which I really like.

In the bottle

Rose, and other paler florals and herby, soft citrus notes.

On

Ohh it's lovely when first on. A watery blend. A fresh blend with roses and herbs (lotus?) and something bright and sweet-ish, maybe citrus?

My my. This is going to be a big hit I think.

I am not one to have luck with rose blends, with the exception of The Empress. And that said, this is right up there. I’ve tried ALL the bpal rose blends and for me anyway, this is #2 under The Empress. It’s not a “I smell the green stems too!” kind of rose blend which I love in TE, but a more watery and light rose blend.

Still, it’s not like Hymn…no no. This has body to it, it does have an earthy quality when compared with Kostnice or Hymn. It’s a tad sweeter than all of them too, except for TE. Its not sweet, just sweeter than Hymn and Kostnice.

30 minutes

It hasn’t changed much thank heavens, but it is a bit more earthy and perfumey at the same time now.

Throw:

Yes! Lovely throw.

Scent category:

fresh earthy herby floral

Summary

I’ve never smelled a BPAL rose blend like this yet.

It's a younger more springtime rose blend. There a sweet and bright note i teh middle that is lovely.

It dries down to more of a lotus or earthy rose blend.

Purchase again?

Yes. Another bottle.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

This one falls into the category of "What on earth was I thinking?!"

I have one word to say about this: Freesia.

If I have one true nemesis, Freesia would be it. Don't know how on earth I missed it in the description before. :P

Never got to try this one on, because that evil ingredient overwhelms everything else to my nose, no matter how lovely anything else in it might be. and unfortunately, my headache receptors as well.

:D bye bye, Ace of Hearts!

Yeah - I gotta say, me too - I knew florals don't work on me 99 out of 100 times, and yet I couldn't resist the description!

On me, Ace of Hearts is pure dryer sheets. :P

I was afraid of the lotus, that it would go bubble gum on me like it has in the past.

I needen't have feared, there is just a touch noticable here and it simply sweetens a dry crisp floral blend.

I'm not crazy about the rose, this is persephone or lucy's rose not london or wanton's, it is brighter and leans citrus a bit. Then the freesia comes out to play and it is really pretty

It IS a nice floral, but it has a very mainstream feel to it. I'll sniff it some more and then will likely send it to the swap block unless it changes a bunch. Another great oil to initiate a newbie to bpal, cause it smells more like perfume to me than the ones I adore.

Come to think of it, my mother would have adored this scent :P But then, my mom was a pretty cool gal!

Edited by mmcfa2

in the bottle: white roses, freesia, orchid, in that order.

wet: be forewarned my chemistry likes to magnify roses, and i am ok w/ that :P

it is almost all rose, w/ a hint of gardenia, there is also something green here, possibly is the bulgarian rose? it reminds me offresh green stems

dry: this is very balanced, the green stem smell has receeded greatly, it is a floral, but not the sweet innocent girly type florals, this is deep, mature, nice. no bubblegum here.

This is another one I only ordered 2 bottles of cuz I wasn't sure of the rose in it. This is very nice. It is really light on me but quite beautiful. This was a pleasant surprise. The rose is well blended in here and it doesn't scream ROSE on me. I don't know what rain orchid is but that and the white lotus must be what give this scent the slightly aquatic feel.......not really an aquatic but more like the light sparkling off of a glass like lake surface. This is a soft, fluid ................floral, but to me, it's such a different floral.....I don't even like to call it a floral. This is utterly gorgeous and brings back memories of my beloved Venus ....thus bringing out my inner Venusian Goddess being the true Libra that I am. I'll get a lot of use out of this. Perfect for the warm weather. I'll probably wear this to the 4th of July outing I have to go to, as it's light enough for being outside all day.

This is a perfect scent! I love everything about it. It is a light floral, very clean & fresh. It is perfect, and I am in love. The only problem is, I only have one bottle! :P

Initial Impression:

A slightly sweet, but very pale floral.

After Wearing It:

I'm kinda iffy about florals. There are a lot of floral notes I can't stand, some I can tolerate, and very few that I truly love. So needless to say I was a bit uncertain about how much I'd like Ace of Hearts when I ordered it. I do happen to like the Lab's lotus and white rose notes, so I kept my fingers crossed and took a chance....

Wet and for the first half hour of wear for this Ace, I was utterly disappointed. Rather than tons of lotus goodness, I was smelling a lot of freesia (which reminds me of laundry detergent) and Bulgarian Rose, two notes I'm not fond of at all. I could smell a little lotus sweetening the background and a bit of gardenia, but mostly this was a very stiff floral scent. Prim and insufferably proper, reminding me much of my very unpopular grandmother. I was crushed!

Fortunately, after the freesia had screamed itself hoarse and the bulgarian rose had bored itself to death, the lotus finally came out in full strength. Ace of Hearts was suddenly a very sweet, fluid floral, all smiles and songs. The white rose and the orchid kept the lotus from smelling too sweet/bubblegum-esque. Ace of Hearts became a very cheerful and emotional blend, and a portrait of femininity that's utterly lovely. And thankfully this stage lasted until the fragrance completely faded from my skin. Made the purchase worthwhile!

Final Thoughts:

Totally girly floral, which SO isn't my taste, but I find it extremely charming anyway. Very apt for the Hearts suit and it totally vibrates with water energy. I think it may find a way to work itself around my normal scent prejudices and into my regular rotation.

Florals aren't really my thing, and sadly, the Ace of Hearts follows that pattern. It's a lovely light floral, and for people who are into white florals, it'll be a perfect summer blend. My bottle is headed off to the swap pile, and hopefully it'll go to somebody who can really appreciate it the way it deserves.

Oh I love love love it! It's like a heady, women's perfume smeared with rose, lotus, and rain. It's quite complex on me, the rose is very prevalent, but there's a fresh, just rained type smell as an undertone. I'm not sure what a rain orchid is, but perhaps that's what I'm smelling. The longer I wear it, the sweeter the rose becomes. It's a sophisticated floral, not exactly innocent, but insanely sexy. Definitely has a bit of throw and sticking power. As a rose fan, I am certainly not disappointed with this one. Fabulous! :P

I didn't order a bottle of this because it sounded so floral, and the florals listed are all ones that don't work on me. Still, I like to try everything, and I've discovered a few florals that I like this summer!

This is very, very floral and sweet, possibly the personification of a white floral drenched in rain. I think of tears, whether they are for joy or sadness, and storms on a summer afternoon...maybe the Queen and Alice are playing croquet in the garden when there is a sudden downpour, and she runs for cover into a white rose bush. That's kind of what it smells like. :P Unfortunately for me, gardenia and lotus are among the most headache-inducing of all florals and roses have a tendency to do the same if there's no earthy or fruity scent grounding them.

I like roses in the garden...I like them a lot, and I like them in a tiny handful of scents where they are the only floral note, but there are too many roses tossing around in the rain here and my head is spinning! I'm so glad I got to try this, and now it's going to go to a new home!

This is a very regal, sophisticated floral. It is a creamy white scent. I really love the way that all of the flowers blend together... I really can't distinguish one more strongly than the other, but I can tell that they're all there. Very sophisticated. Very beautiful.

In the bottle, this is pure floral, but not at all sweet. A dab on the wrist, and the roses informed me that they're the center of attention. That's fine with me, I love roses. After about 30 minutes the roses decided to share the spotlight with the other flowers. The gardenia started to blend in with the rose, adding just a touch of sweetness, but not enough to make it cloying.

Overall, it's soft and feminine, and very pretty. I'll wear Ace of Hearts when I'm putting on a skirt and pastels, and want to be girly.

I adore roses, and florals... so I gave the Ace my best shot.

It smelled wonderful in the bottle. Perfect in every way, even if a little strong.

I put it on and gave it a minute. Its dryer sheets and my grandmother's cheap floral perfume. It has a lot of throw off of me.

But yeah... the dryer sheets thing. It doesn't fade, it just gets stronger. And the throw makes it become more over whelming.

Ahh well... It is lovely, just not on me.

In the bottle: This has a very white scent to it that reminds me--oddly enough--of my Mi-Go. It's not so much the smell as it is the sweetness of the smell though I suspect that the two blends probably do have a note in common somewhere in there. I can't tell which scent is which yet but there is something green in the background of it that could prove to be bad for my head.

Wet: Still sweet only something in this makes the back of my throat flare up in a slight burn. Nothing bad. Yet. This gets a lot greener once it hits my skin but retains the whiteness as well. I can pick out the rose gardenia in the background. The front note is familiar, but I'm not sure as to what it is. Oh, Bulgarian rose. We don't always get along. It tends to have a kinda dusky smell to it that doesn't like my allergies.

Dry down: Rose gardenia and Bulgarian rose. It's an oddly white/green smell that makes my head do a little dance that tells me this might not be a blend with a long life span in my hands. The freesia is barely there in the background. This is a nice, sweet floral blend that does not become overly cloying. But it's very white and sometimes I have problems with white. Gardenia. Less rose and more straight gardenia smell. White and waxy with a little bit of that dusky Bulgarian rose I mentioned before. And a definite burning in the back of my throat that does not bode well. And now it's a somewhat rose/orchid smell. I like orchid, but I've had problems with it in BPAL blends.

Dry: Mostly orchid with some rose and gardenia in it. Everytime I sniff the blend on my skin, it sends a shooting spike of pain through my head so I'm thinking that this is going to be swapped or sold at some point in the near future. Oh well. I had hopes for it.

When I got my bottle of Ace of hearts I was hit with a wonderful rose scent. With small traces of the something that keeps it from being overpowering, that darkened it a bit.

In the bottle it reminded me of pink moon, but simpler,more soft but complex rosey florals with a hint of something that keeps the rose from overtacking the scent.

It has wonderful throw. Allen was with me when I tired from the cap and he said he could smell it, as I walked by. A little goes a long way on me.

Rose scents don't normally work with my chemistry, but this works for me.

I love it wonderful blend.

impressions BEFORE i even received the bottle: i almost didn't order this one, because i haven't had good luck with florals. i've had even worse luck with lotus. so why did i order it??? ahhhhhhhh. how can you NOT WANT the Primordial energy of Water: the Heart, emotional release and receptivity, intuition, fertility, and the forces of love, beauty, pleasure and happiness? beth, you silver tongued devil, you!!!

in the bottle: freesia. announcing itself in neon white bright flashing light. freeeeeeeeesssssssiiiiiiiaaaaaa.

wet, on my wrist: yes, hello, freesia. i believe that we have already met. (and i'm wondering why i thought i could wear a floral)

dry: ooooooooo. NOW there are other flowers raising their voices to be heard! and wonder of wonders! no bubblegum sweet lotus! white lotus is clearly different. and this scent is clearly a white floral. subtle and elegant. on me, it is light, and has just enough throw. i doubt that anyone who wasn't really close would even notice. it is a summer garden at night. shimmering, luminescent, glittering in the moonlight, so exquisitely blended that the notes melt into each other (once they have beaten freesia into submission!). this is sublime.

overall: this is a mature woman who knows who she is and what she is doing. she believes in herself and doesn't have to broadcast it to all (although she does like to make an entrance!! :D ) i'm keeping this as my ace in the hole. after all, who wouldn't want love, beauty, pleasure and happiness???

:P

Of the three forum-only scents Beth gifted us with this spring, Ace of Hearts appealed to me the most, perhaps because I am a complete junkie for the florals... it's the rare BPAL floral blend that I truly dislike, or that goes completely wrong with my skin chemistry. And a gorgeous white floral is my end-all, be-all favorite.

So, suffice it to say that I haven't fallen in love with anything this way since Snow White came my way last Christmas. Every floral essence that Beth has included must be the most beautiful variety possible - absolutely the most gorgeous freesia, orchid, gardenia, lotus and rose notes I have yet experienced. While I did fear that this blend could have an aquatic quality that might clash with me, I don't pick up any aquatic notes at all. Yet there is a feeling overall that these flowers are wet with dew, or picked damp after a light rain - perhaps the water-loving lotus or the rain orchid add this to the blend, or perhaps it's some other magic.

The overall effect is an enchanting white floral - very bright and sweet upon application, and drying down without morphing much at all. I find that Ace of Hearts simply fades away slowly and sweetly over the course of four or five hours - a perfect excuse to carry my roller with me and slather a bit more of this uplifting and gorgeous scent whenever I like.

Happy and joyous best describe this. A pure, watery, clean floral, not cloying, but a garden full of fresh flowers. The freesia and lotus are the strongest on me, making this a little bit spicey-fruit as well. It's gorgeous, but also very strong and while I love florals this one, combined with my chemistry, never really made me sit up and go wow. It's not that it's not capable of it, simply my skin seems to be eating all the notes and not leaving much there. Ah well.

In the bottle: Soft lotus and rose.

Wet: Lotus and rose. In this stage, it's like a pale, white version of Kurukulla.

Drydown: Hmm... I can see what people are talking about when they say "dryer sheets." It does have that certain feel to it. *glances at description again* White lotus apparently doesn't cling to me as much as the regular lotus note. However the Bulgarian rose and freesia do. Wow, they definitely do.

Final thoughts: I want to give this a couple more tries before I make my final verdict. My period's set to start in a couple days and apparently, right now, my skin is hellbent on making everything go slightly soapy. :P

The ace of hearts is a beautiful floral rose blend. Sadly florals don't get along with me. I was hoping it might be a bit sweeter (by that I mean sugary) but alas no. It has gone to someone who loved it and it smelled wonderful on her! Pure beautiful rose. On me - dryer sheet.

Hear that? That "banging", furniture rattling noise.

That's me.

That's me!

Jumping up and down.

With JOY!

THE BPAL rosy scent of my dreams is here!

Ace of Hearts goes on a light bulgarian rose and gets better & better. My skin amplifies the white & bulgarian rose. Until Ace of Hearts, nothing "hit" just the perfect balance.

This does.

The picture of the Gray's Anatomy style heart on the label is so apropos. My heart will be ripped when this is gone.

Forum members have my permisssion to pm me regarding arranging a swap for more Ace of Hearts.

Edited by Red_Hot_Mama

A pleasing pale summer floral.

The Bulgarian rose is quite a lovely note in this blend and it really starts things off with a bang. On my skin, it's mostly a top note and it does recede into the background by the end of the day. Staying power is moderate without a lot of throw.

The lotus only makes enough of a statement to lend it's cool watery feel to the blend rather than making itself a showstopper. That's a job is for the freesia. That's the note that I noticed was most prominent. The lotus is not the typical note we're familiar with in that the bubblegum sweetness is not present.

I was intrigued by the rain orchid and rose gardenia. They added quite a nice roundness to the blend.

All in all, this is a wonderful light floral blend for those that like rose blends and other light muted floral scents. A pretty sweet girly scent.

Edited by lysithea

My Impression: OMGosh I love every floral in this scent...It is so PERFECT, it is totally indescribable. I could wear this day & night and even slather in it, even though I am not a slatherer...I am hooked... :P