Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
queenb

Eden

... This oil contains the innocence of the Garden, coupled with the Truth and Erudition found in the fruit of the Tree of Evil: fig leaf, fig fruit, honeyed almond milk, toasted coconut and sandalwood.

This scent is fascinating. It's creamy/milky, it's definitely a hint of coconut- but yes, toasted is the word- and something that reminds me of Thai curry. Lemongrass? Something that smells like it? It's like sweet Thai curry to me. But not in a "I don't want to smell like that" sort of way, you know? I like it, is what I'm trying to say here, in a roundabout fashion. It is unusual, and very creamy. No almond or fig that I can pick out. However, there is something in there that is indeed green, that I keep thinking smells like lemongrass. Interesting, indeed.

I'd give it a 4 out of 5.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

Eden ITB: Sweet and almondy.

On: slightly burnt almond cookies.

Dry: The fruit is starting to come out, followed by the coconut. Smells like apricot macaroons, if there is such a thing. Heck, if they smell like this, I'll have to invent some! This is really nice and fruity, without being overly sweet. For a wonder, the sandalwood stays in the background and doesn't take over the entire scent. Just shot to the top of my "get a bottle" list!

Someone further up the thread used the best word to describe my experience with Eden. Acrid.

On me, Eden SHOUTS its sweet, overpowering, almost-poisonous greeness. It is truly awful on me, both wet and dry. I'm not good with most of Beth's honey notes and in Eden the honey mixes with the fig to produce a scent which utterly overwhelms my sense of smell :D I smell no coconut or sandalwood, both of which are scents I love.

The imp has been quarentined inside two baggies as the smell was contaminating my wardrobe :P I'm desperate to swap it to a better home as it is not getting the love it deserves seeing as so many people really like it.

I was in the mood for something coconutty tonight, so I decided to try out Eden. Sadly, though coconut is what I wanted, it is not what I got. I'm going to chalk it up to evil almond (which I know doesn't always like me) but my imp of Eden smells like Cherry cough syrup and...fried chicken?? I'm not even joking. This is just wrong all wrong on me. I think it's gotta go in the swap pile.

at first: green, sweet, and a bit sharp.

on: a bit sour. sweet. i can smell the almonds. i can smell a bit of coconut, too.

1 hour later: much better than at first. not as strong and pungent. i can still smell the honeyed almond milk, which i'm not sure if i like. there's a touch of sandalwood, which is nice, but i'm not sure if it's nice enough to make this smell good on me.

2 hours later: a soft honey scent.

4 hours later: honey.

overall: as usual, the honey takes over on me. however, i didn't like this oil at the beginning either.

In zee bottle: holy figness. It's like bottle fig newton, minus the cake!

On zee skin: It's ultra fig'n'honey. As it dried down, the almond popped, followed by the cocount. I barely noticed the sandalwood. It's a very nature-y scent, kind of like an earth meets food, to me. I could see this have been hugely popular with the hippy chicks back in high school.

Bottom line: this is a fig-lovers dream!

first impression - ripe figs with a touch of soft coconut and almond. i used up almost the entire imp before i got around to reviewing it, it's so good! i'm partial to all the Wanderlust blends and this is no exception. very sweet at first, but then the dry sandalwood comes out and the fig note becomes more complex – earthy, and slightly bitter. the bitterness is perfectly balanced, however, by the creaminess of the milk and honey. perfect.

It begins with yucky almond, but fortunately that fades quickly to a scent like yummy Thai food with coconut and lime, but in a good way (and reading the reviews, I see I'm not the only one). I think I am getting the lime from the fig leaf and fruit. Over time it sweetens up a little until it is fig lightly backed with sandalwood. I've never tried fig before and I really like it. Good to know. Now if I could only persade Beth to toss all her almond...

In the vial and wet on my skin, I am getting fig with a hint of almond. Very beautiful - I love fig!

As this dries down, I start to get a hint of a dry brown scent in the background - like dry almond shells, or coconut husk. It doesn't last long, however, because the cococnut and sandalwood come forward. The sandalwood gives it a perfume-y feel.

Complete dry down - Lush, green, perfume. Absolutely beautiful. Okay throw, and wear. I think you might have to reapply a couple of times a day. I will keep the imp though, and I may want a bottle

All I could smell was rancid fig, and then more rancid fig. And it just kept getting more overpowering and cloying. I was patient enough to let it settle for at least 2 hours until I couldn't stand it anymore and had to wash it off. Unfortunately, the scent lingers, and my bathroom still smelled like it hours later. Yeah, this is not one for me.

Wet: Coconut and something earthy and tangy.

A little later: Sweet almond milk is becoming more noticeable, with coconut fading to the background. There is still something sharp and earthy I can't quite place.

Quite a bit later: Eventually all the different notes mellowed out and I got whiffs of fig, coconut, sweet cream, and just a touch of the sandalwood to round it out. My cat, Pi, really liked sniffing my wrist, too! Definitely a keeper if she likes it.

Wet- sickly sweet. I can't even sniff it more than once.

Dry-I put some on my friend and after a few minutes it calmed to a cookie sort of smell.

I can't stand it wet so I don't want to wear it myself. But the dry down does smell good.

Sweet and fruity. I'd probably grab it from the tree too! :P After a while, my skin chemistry starts to amp up the sweetness and well, it becomes a bit evil.

Initial scent bomb: Wooooo coconut woooooo fig. I can't tell what else is going on because the coconut and the fig are having a cage match right now. I'll give it a few minutes.

Dry on skin: Oh, hot damn. This is awesome! The coconut has fallen to the back and the fig is still waving itself around. There is a woody-green thing going on which keeps it from being too sweet or candylike.

Later: Everything has mellowed into something that smells like sun-warmed figs on a tree. The greenness has gotten woody and there's a nice tinge of honey. It's vaguely reminiscent of pipe tobacco, but not cherry pipe tobacco. I definitely dig it. Probably more of an autumn smell than one for summer, but I have a feeling this scent will age well.

Lobster Rating

Better than: finding a free parking space downtown

In the bottle: Coconut and almond milk liek whoa with a slightly tart fig scent.

Wet: An oily coconut and almond scent.

Drydown: Still coconut and almond, with something a bit green coming out over it, certainly the fig leaf. Then the fig fruit comes out, still quite green and tartly juicy. And then the honey starts to come out and make the blend lush and sensual. Very foody.

Overall: A rather tropical scent, woody, nutty and full of slightly green fig goodness. It's a rather heady, thick and luscious blend, not over-sweet and great for coconut and fig lovers. I seem to be a bit immune to the coconut/almond notes, so I wouldn't wear it myself as a perfume. Would be wonderful as a bath cream, though.

I was able to try this as a part of quikslvr's GC Catalog Swap Circle.

The coconut was about the only thing I could smell in this, it seemed to overwhelm all of the other notes. It was very plastic smelling on me, which is unfortunate because I'd like to wear an oil named Eden.

First try: Smells like Fruit Loops. I like it. Coconut and honey is a nice combination.

Second try: Yep, still like Fruit Loops, but that's just at first. Over time it turns into a sweet nutty honey blend... gets especially sweet after about an hour or so. I wish the fig was a little stronger because I love fig. But I'm really happy that the honey is behaving itself in this blend -- there aren't many BPAL oils with honey that I can wear.

This is a warm, sweet, happy scent on my skin. I find nothing at all objectionable about it, and yet it doesn't make me want to rush to the Lab's website and buy a bottle. It's nice but... well, nice. It's not bowling me over.

Edited by filigree_shadow

In the imp: Bitter coconut.

Wet: Fig does not work on me. Ever. The fig takes over and gets heavy and cloying. It's so strong I can almost taste it.

In the imp: Wet and green. Delicious!

Wet: Leaves and damp greenery, fresh and beautoful. A hint of ripe fig under leaves. I really like this stage.

Dry: Unfortunately the damp leaves fades quickly, leaving a sweet fruity fig scent. This is nice, but then goes sweeter and sweeter to pure honey.

I wish the wet stage had stuck around! The end result is just too sweet for me. I've heard that Strangler Fig is like the early stages of Eden - will have to try that one!

This is sooo beautiful that it makes me want to cry. It opens up on my skin with the scent of ripe figs, coconut and lush green leaves. About an hour later, the honey almond milk and the sandalwood come forward. The fruit peaks through every once in awhile. After a few hours, there is only a hint of the sandalwood and it smells more fruity with the fig and the coconut jockeying for position. The combination of the fig and fig leaves give a depth to Eden and keep it from being too bright This has a fairly good throw and is still strong after 6 hours.

My heart is still with Manila, but now I am guilty of a wandering nose.

In the imp: Coconut, but sharp and green. I'm betting the green is the fig leaf.

Wet on skin: Hmm. The coconut is actually fairly faint, and upon application the green rises to the surface. There's something a little alcoholic/antiseptic under there as well.

Early Dry Down: This is REALLY interesting. I'm getting an almost lemony note coming up through the coconut. It has sweetened some, but maintains that green edge. At this stage, this is one assertive little oil. It's saucy!

Late Dry Down: As this dried down, it got sweeter and sweeter. The coconut got smokier, and the fig became dense and earthy. After a few hours it had faded considerably, but left behind an absolutely delicious faintly milky, faintly coconutty, but also very earthy and spicy scent. This is a clear winner at every stage.

in the bottle: powerful! Fruity figs, coconuts, and leafy greens.... almond too? All very strong.

wet: coconut and fig... a little boozy almost. Very foody... almost gooey with sweetness.

dry: still very sweet... mostly milky coconuts and a little honey/almond now. A bit lighter, and not as overpowering.

overall impression: I was surprised at how sweet this was. I really thought it would be more woodsy, but it comes across as a very foody scent. It's nice, but it's mostly coconuts on me and I'm not a huge coconut fan, so I don't know about it. I'll definitely give it another chance though.

after a few more tries: Starts super fruity, after an hour or two dries to this soft, light coconut musk which leaves me burrying my nose in my wrists and wanting to eat them :P It went soapy after like 8 hours... but I can handle reapplying after that long. Not what I expected from it, but I like it, despite my usual uncaring for coconut.

B+

Edited by Natch

In the vial: Fig, date, almond... something else.

On me: There it is! That something else is coconut. I don't smell any of the sandalwood that's listed in the lab's description, but I do smell the honey. This smells absolutely delicious!

Verdict: Lovely scent! The combination of honey, coconut, fig, and milky almond almost smells like spiced tea. I like tea. And I love this scent!

Rating: 5/5