Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
queenb

Eden

... This oil contains the innocence of the Garden, coupled with the Truth and Erudition found in the fruit of the Tree of Evil: fig leaf, fig fruit, honeyed almond milk, toasted coconut and sandalwood.

This one did not like me I'm sad to say. At first it was a little bit of almond spice, with a tiny whisper of the coconut. After a moment on the skin, the fig became overwhelming and none to pleasant. My honey immediately wrinkled his picky nose and announced that it smelled like a urinal cake. :P I wanted to love this one, it just didn't work for me.

This is one of those foody smells I can't wear. The fruit & nut notes are just overpowering. How-be-ever--a dab in the aromatherapy diffuser in my bedroom, and oh my! Yummy. I have 3 imps of it (somehow) and won't be getting rid of them anytime soon.

Mmm! This is warm, fresh, rich, and creamy, but light enough to be nice for summer. I get a light touch of coconut and sweet figginess. I would have guessed milk or cream rather than almond milk, I don't get any nuttiness in here. Sandalwood is hit-or-miss with me, and in Eden, it's definitely a hit. It provides a warm base without asserting itself much. Eden smells very similar to this year's Milk Moon to me, only less pina-colada-y.

In the bottle, this smells just like I'd hoped Milk Moon would smell - very creamy, with the coconut and almond at the forefront, as well as the fig. Ambrosia, I think would be a good description. I need to go back and look at what notes in Milk Moon are different and try to avoid them at all costs because that scent was just awful to me.

On my skin, the sandalwood comes out a LOT, making Eden a slightly spicy scent. After it's completely dried it's nearly all a woodsy, sandalwood with a hint of fig and almond. It even reminds me a bit of ventriloquist's dummy - must be the wood+nutty.

I wish it smelled on me like it does in the bottle, but it's still a very nice smell... I've got a bottle of this from a swap and I think I'll keep it around for a while, maybe use it in a scent locket. Because I do really love the smell in the bottle.

In the imp: Sweet almond with something almost a bit salty like a pretzel.

Wet on skin: This really smells a lot like a white-chocolate-covered pretzel with maybe a side of strawberries and amaretto.

Drydown: A fruity and a green, herby scent begin to come out...Ah, and there's some coconut. The green herby/weedy scent is a bit too much for me, though.

One hour later: More fruity/coconutty. Almost like weeding the garden while wearing coconut oil suntan lotion.

Throw: I can smell it from about a foot away.

Verdict: Unfortunately, while I like the sweetness and the coconut, that green note whatever it is just doesn't work for me. Swap pile.

In the imp: almonds.

Wet on skin: marzipan, clay and dirty sandalwood. Weird and almost unpleasant. Me don't like.

Luckily, my skin tends to amp honey, and after a while the weirdness fades away giving place to the sweet and round scent of honey and fig (I think I still can detect some sandalwood, but it keeps nicely int the background). It's quite yummy - I think I like it. I am a little worried that the weird, unpleasant marzipan clay will reappear when I least expect it as I don't trust my body chemistry, but for now it's :P

In the vial (initial impression):

Coconut and almond in such a strong and intoxicating mix that it had me staggering! Wow! This is powerful stuff.

Initially on (wet):

Surprisingly heavy almond and some stingy green in the background - the fig leaf? My skin reacts badly to any green stuff, initially, only to make it all better after a while.

Wearing it (dry):

10-20 mins after application, it has grown softer and more... fruity. I can sense the coconut somewhere. It's soft, serene, peaceful, and warm.

20-30 mins later, the fig has returned, but it's still a soft harmony of different notes. Mmm.

It has faded a lot after an hour, but it's certainly very wonderful. Mmm!

Finally:

Keeping for the moment. :P

When I first opened this I thought... oh the nasty fig... so sweet.. so fig. I hate figs.. But I thought I bought it I have to try it on besides I love other notes in this blend and I know that perfumes change with your skin chemistry, hopefully.

In bottle: fig... sweet, sweet fig.

Wet on skin: fig.. fig leaves.. almonds.

Dry down: This is when Eden absolutely amazed me. I have never smelt a perfume that morphed so much and so clearly. It went from sweet figs to honey covered almonds.. with the faintest hint of toasted coconut peaking out every once in a while. After several hours though it fades into a soft sandalwood with a hint of sweetness which is equally heavenly as the almond phase. I love this smell. This is going to be my new scent. ^^

Name: Eden

Bottle: Sickly sweet almond/coconut that's giving me the suggestion of the herb valerian. Not a good thing.

Wet: Still very over sweet almond and coconut.

Dry: This blend is shocking because it turns 180 degrees into a gorgeous scent. From "there's no way..." to "this is paradise!" Almond, honey, fig and coconut along with florals blended beautifully. I had a friend try it too, and she had the same reaction sans the valerian comparison.

Furthermore: Although it smells heavenly, I don't tend toward florals. But when I do, I'll reach for it - and hopefully remember to give it a good 10 or so minutes to morph.

There is something in Eden that does NOT agree with me. It smells strong, powdery, and sour all at once on me - nauseatingly. Unbearably. I wish I got the fantastic experience from this scent that others did, but I react to this how I reacted to O. I have to figure out their common factors and stay away from any BPAL with that note in it. It simply doesn't work on my skin.

In the Imp: HELLO NUTS. :P For me this is all nuts, fruit, and greenery. Which I guess is how the garden of Eden would smell!

Wet: This smells like a girly cocktail. It's sweet, fruity, with a hint of booze in the background. Almond, maybe, steps back for about five seconds then comes back again full force.

Dry: Sadly it is all nut. :D I enjoy eating almonds and having them as background notes, but smelling like exactly like 'em isn't my style.

ugh - starts very strong. Kind of grassy, I guess. Fades down into... grassy. Sweet & ok, but not the big garden small I would have thought. Trade

Almonds and I don't tend to get on overly well. Rather, almond usually likes me a little too much and stomps on everything else. At least in Eden I could detect a little fig and sandalwood as well, in fact it reminded me of Intrigue but with almond instead of cocoa. But there was too much almond in it for it to get more than a "you know, it's not too bad" out of me.

It's already gone to a new home.

I got this as a frimp with my Libra/Hunter Moon 2007 order.

In the bottle:

OMGSOGOOD. Lovely wafting flowers, sweet warm goodness. Land of milk and honey.

On my skin wet:

OMGSOBAD. Well, people who like foody scents might have been approving, but on me it turned immediately into BUTTER SHORTBREAD OF DOOM HAS YOU SURROUNDED which is very much not my style.

Drydown:

Is it.. could it be... it's rounding out! There's still a little bit of the shortbread scent, but the flowers are coming back and the sweet is less foody.

An hour later:

Well, the butter shortbread is pretty much all gone, but the promise of flowers that the original scent gave me never did manage to return. It's nice, though it's just not seducing me. Will have to try again before deciding whether to keep or swap.

I was so sad when Sudha Segara didn't work on me, but this more than makes up for it! Eden is just the perfect scent for its namesake. The honeyed almond milk and coconut make a lovely, innocent base. It's so very warm and inviting. The fig manages to be not too sweet. Still, there's something in here that hints at the potential for a fall from grace. This isn't all innocence and light. It's just the right amount complicated by full, ripe fruit. As if their scents drifted in on the wind from a distance.

I really adore Eden and will probably order a big bottle when my imp runs out.

in the bottle: hmm, coconut milk.

wet on my skin: OK, this isn't just coconut milk. This is a woman slathered in coconut oil, drinking coconut rum, holding a plate of toasty macaroons and velvet coconut cake with coconut frosting and topped with coconut flakes, and the whole tableau is drenched in coconut milk.

Oh, and the woman is wearing fig leaves.

But seriously, this is a really true, fresh coconut milk scent for those who are looking for one. This comes across totally different from the coconut in other bpal blends I've tried, like Elegba and Obatala.

After a few minutes of drydown it morphs into something really fresh and light. There's a hint of something green behind the coconut, and a ripe purple fig. The almond behaves itself for once on me and just sort of serves to mellow the blend.

Definitely a nice summery scent.

Bottle: OMG Fig!

Wet: Dark fig, not a lot of sweetness. Kinda a bit of almond, but only a hint.

Drydown: The sweetness comes out here. Before there was barely any. I really like this, but it's not a scent for everyday for me.

3.5 outta 5

Sadly BPAL almond doesn’t really like me…thankfully the sandalwood comes out as it dries down and softens the blend. I can smell something nice and sweet – is that the fig? It continues to become nicer as it dries down. The coconut and sandalwood together sound so odd but it really works. Will definitely hold onto my imp.

imp: sweet honey, strong almond and creamy coconut with a nice after-breath of sandalwood.

wet: like a coconutty sandalwood. the other notes seems to have vanished under the bombardment of coconut. coconut usually lasts for a long time on me but this smells like coconut. like fresh, young coconut.

dry: oooohhh... a few florals have come out to tame the coconut rampage. this is a very nice blend.

This one is just gorgeous. I'm fond of almondy scents, and they work well on me.

Wet: This smelled strangely salty to me, like salted honey-roasted almonds. Yum. It literally made my stomach growl.

Drydown: Almonds, honey, a touch of coconut, maybe butter? I can't find the fig at all. The sandalwood is just enough to give it a slight (but not overwhelming) incense smell. Still, it's pretty foody, to my nose.

Dry: it's not lasting as long as I'd like. I've had it on for a couple of hours and it's quite faded.

Verdict: 4/5. I tend to like really "in your face" perfumes with lots of throw, that last a long time, and this one isn't fitting that description with my skin chemistry. But I like it very, very much anyway- possibly enough to buy a 5ml and slather repeatedly during the day, or maybe should try it in a scent locket to see if it lasts longer.

In the imp:

Sweet almonds.

Wet:

I am definitely smelling the honeyed almond milk and almost nothing else. This would not be a problem, except that my skin tends to eat things like honey and almond. Oh boy, here comes the coconut. I can't stand strong coconut, so here's hoping the other notes will come out to keep it calm.

Dry:

This seems to smell like coconutty baked goods on me... it's faint but what I can smell does smell pretty nice. Will try again when it's aged a bit and it's not "that time of month" for me.

Imp: Deliciously toasted coconut over cream. Yum, like a fresh macaroon.

On: It goes a lovely creamy coconut on my skin, and it lasts quite well (about 6-7 hours) There is an odd "green" smell at first, but thankfully, that goes away!

This ties with Vampire Tears as the worst scent ever, and for the same reason. Upon contact with my skin, both of these fragrances give off a weird musty note that, coupled with their sweetness, ends up reminding me of gum being chewed by someone with bad breath. Oh god, it's so powerful, gross, and distracting. I can't figure out what notes these two have in common or why this might be, but if anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them. If I never smell that smell again, it will be too soon.

In the vial: almond essence and toasted coconut. This reminds me of cookies.

Wet on skin: wow - that's strong! It's nutty but actually quite sharp. I can't identify any particular note.

Dry on skin: this is sweet, delicate, and vaguely foody. I can smell toasted coconut and what I assume must be fig leaf. And it's cool and crisp, almost as if it has chilly white musk in it, although I can't actually smell any musk. I like this a lot!

Later: this has a comfortable amount of throw and ends up as buttery coconut and almond cookies. This is the perfect comfort scent!

This was so amazing in the imp I couldn't wait to try it. Kind of a pina colada explosion of fruit and nuts.

But then it hit my skin.

And then it was toasted coconut all the way. Not sunscreen coconut - toasted coconut sprinkled on cake. Very foody, and possibly pleasant for someone, but not me at all. I so hoped for some fig, but my stupid skin chemistry got in the way!

Sigh.

Tzi