Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

midwinter '04

A melancholy, deep scent, poignant and brimming with nostalgia. The perfume of sugared plums over a breeze of winter flowers.

Very surgary sweet smell. A berry smell to it, either strawberry or raspberry Not sickly sweet, but pleasent to smell. T is of the opinion that this would be good for earing to a party or some other large gathering, but otherwise not something she'd wear regularly.

On me, this is very sweet. Berry scented (I wouldn't have guessed 'sugared plums' had I not read the description -- might have said blackberries or raspberries).

It's sweet, but also tart.

Slight aquatic undertone.

Also, an artificial plasticky quality developes after a while -- it gives the overall impression that I am smelling a strongly scented Strawberry Shortcake doll.

That said, the plasticky element actually tames the Whoa!Berry! scent rather nicely, and it's only obvious to me when I ram my nose against my skin.

I like this blend quite a bit and find it very nice in warmer weather.

(I have the '05 version)

Very, very sweet fruit/berry scent. This smells like artificial fruit candy to me on first application, then dries down over an hour to the less sweet -- but no less artificial -- aroma of a cheap berry-scented candle. Um, not for me!

bottle:

sweet fruity

wet:

sweet and fruity with a hint of mint

dry:

the bulk of the sweetness goes away and a soft fruity floral remains, still that hint of "cold" mint

overall:

nice. Sweet so I have to be in the mood. Will be great around holidays or as a room freshener!

rating: 8/10

Ok, so the Enabler (see above!) sent me a decant of this... and I'm totally in love! *must get my own bottle*

The scent is sweet... berry? fruity? with, yes, that hint of something minty. Must be the "winter" in the "winter flowers" :D This is definitely a holiday scent, but i'm inclined to keep wearing it right now in June... Sort of keeps me cool. hehe.

berry berry berry yummy :P

Midwinter’s Eve – I liked it so much I bought a second bottle. It’s mostly sugar plum with the slightest hint of something floral behind it. It’s an incredibly sweet scent. I held up the bottle for my sister to smell (she likes dark, deep, resinous scents) and she wrinkled her nose and said, “Eww!” So obviously it won’t work for everyone! It’s ultra-sweet, ultra-fruity, ultra-pretty, and definitely my favorite of the Yules. Unfortunately, it doesn’t last long, but this is one I don’t mind reapplying.

I do believe I am in love.

Upon opening the bottle, I find I am reminded of my beloved Snow Fairy shower gel from LUSH. There is a candy sweetness about this oil, and that is probably why I love it so much. Of course, as with all BPAL oils, this candy sweetness has an edge. There is a very cool, very tart undertone that balances the sweetness and creates a blissful harmony of scents. It's like Sweet Tarts for your skin! I'd highly recommend this fragrance for anyone who loves sweet, soft, girly scents.

:P

In the vial: Very sugary, light plum.

On me: True to the vial. I think this might actually be a plum scent that I can wear! It is lovely and truly makes me think of the Nutcracker and Christmastime.

Verdict: Lovely! I don't need a bottle; the imp will do. But I like it and am glad that I know that I can wear plum!

Rating: 4/5

i get the plummy berry fruits from this and the florals are in the background. it reminds me of bordello, but without the wine and deepness to it that bordello has. it's a very pretty scent, but i am not into wearing the fruit scents so much. i was hoping the florals would be more prominent on me.

In the bottle it smells like watermelon jolly ranchers. It's pretty, but very strong and I can't imagine ever wearing this.

Once applied, it smells like I licked the jolly rancher and then rubbed it on my wrist and let it stay there. It never settles into or blends with my skin and instead it just sits there and retains its artifical jolly rancher scent. Again, it's pretty, but not for me. I can see a young girl really enjoying this.

To me this smelled like sugared berries. I didn't really get plum from it. It is very sweet and invokes a purple pink color in my mind when I sniff it. I really would like a candy that tastes like this smells. The sweetness in the drydown is wonderfully full bodied.

Wow, this smells *just* like Jolly Ranchers in the bottle. Wow. That takes me back to my childhood!

On my skin, it's still that candy-sweet smell at first.

After about an hour, it fades down into a more 'real' fruit scent, but it's still very sweet and candyish.

Not really for me - I like fruit scents, and I like foody scents, but I don't like foody-fruity scents. :P

When I first applied it, I got a bizarre and very strong burst of dill or some other herb, but that lasted just a few minutes. What remained was a juicy, tart/sweet berry smell, almost like cranberry. The berry note acted strangely -- I could hardly smell it up close after the first hour or so, but I could smell it in the air around me.

Unlike many people, I didn't get a candy impression from this; instead the fruit scent seemed quite fresh.

Mmm, berries! Smells like those little raspberry hard candies, kind of. The plumminess increases on my skin, so that it's still fruity but now it's what it's supposed to be. Mmmm, I kind of want to eat my hand.

I was surprised by how much I liked this! It's sweet and fruity, very much a candied plum scent. It reminds me of the jelly ones, actually - the candies you find sometimes at Christmas. It's really very nice when I first put it on - my only complaint is that it fades very quickly. I think I'd probably want a bottle of it though, the better to slather a bit (and I never slather).

Mmmm.

Midwinter's Eve-

In Bottle: Mmm, fruity fruity fruity sweet!

Wet: Very brightly orangey on my skin. But it falls back into something berry-citrus-grape-plummy sweet fruity.

Dry: This is delicious! It's like tropical fruits, almost. I can see this being a great scent to use for lingerie sachets and the like.

Overall: Excellent! Very useful versatile yummy scent!

Midwinter's Eve 05

In the bottle: LOADS of berries and LOADS of sugar. Let's say sugared berries. It makes me craving for a dessert.

On my skin: it gets chemical. It reminds me my Strawberry Shortcake scented doll.

After a couple of hours: I get strawberries... but not gorgeous, fresh strawberries, I get the usual artificial strawberries. And maybe some other berries too but anyway, they turn to plastic.

Verdict: swap-pile.

In the Imp: Sweet, yet slightly frosty.

Wet: Very sweet, bright-pink candy; random berry-flavored, extra sweet candy. Even upon first application I don't get any frosty-snowiness at all.

Dry: Still pretty much true to when it was wet, and on me this scent really lasts, about 5-6 hours all told. But the entire time it really is just a one note wonder. Pink berry candy.

Throw: Medium-good. By no means will it overpower anyone, but you will get nice little whiffs of it every once in awhile for quite awhile.

Overall: While it's nice, it's certainly not complex. And while I do like sweet, foodie scents, this isn't really one of my favs. For a snow frosted berry scent I think I prefer Skadi.

Rating: +

Edited by Galatea

I have tried the '04 and '05 versions of this and they are both wonderfully sweet plummy celebrations of yuletide joy. Not something I would wear much outside of the Holidays, but very bright encapsulations of holiday sweetness.

It's very berry-like, which made me think, 'oh, I might not like this,' but later, there's a coldness that really offsets any overly candy sweetness. I really like this one! It's up there with Lick It!

wet: sweet, sugared plums

drydown: the plums tone down a bit, and i'm getting a slight floral note mixed with the sugared plum

dry: same, but dries *very* mild... this wears very close to the skin, and only lasts an hour or so on me.

I like the smell overall, but since it's not a scent I LOVE, I'll be good and not buy this one.

Yum yum yum.

Plummy and sweet, with the florals lying under the surface. I wore this Christmas Eve, and it was the perfect scent! Mmmmm.

Sugary sweet plums. I find this scent delightful. It reminds me a lot of Bordello without the booze and with some very light cool florals instead. It's super strong at first, but it becomes wispy pretty quickly. I think it would be a great scent to add to a lotion.

I also have found that it is a very good pick-me-up when I'm feeling the winter blues. I'm wearing about half an imp right now, and it's lightening my spirits.

I can't believe I like this, but I do! It's very different from my other BPALs...

Midwinter's Eve is sweet and fun and candy smelling- It smells like some kind of jellied fruit candy (I can understand the comparisons to Kool-Aid powder). That sounds like a bad review, but it's not! I really like this! :P