Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A melancholy, deep scent, poignant and brimming with nostalgia. The perfume of sugared plums over a breeze of winter flowers.

(2007 version)
In the imp, it makes me recoil from the *bubblegum* scent. Aww :P Wet on me, it stays candy-sweet, with fruit, maybe berries, maybe red jolly rancher, maybe grape kool-aid. Double Aww :D .

It's been drying for a while now, but it's still much too sweet for me. I'm not getting any of the florals, really, and while there's something much rounder and more wholesome about the dry-down scent, it's still screaming candy-fruit mostly. I'm actually getting more berries as it drys, but it lacks the class and green balance of something like Bewitched.

Too bad, off to swaps. :D :) ;) Edited by Pika

A melancholy, deep scent, poignant and brimming with nostalgia. The perfume of sugared plums over a breeze of winter flowers.

Imp: Oh plum, I'd know you anywhere.

Wet: And... erm... you apparently would really like ME anywhere. Nice to see you plum... you're... excitable.

Dry: Mmm... this is why I put up with you. This scent is a brilliant, heady plum scent with the barest whisper of other flowers. It's not foody, but it's alluring, and it makes me smell absolutely fabulous. I adore this.

Throw: A few inches.

Overall: Tart yet sweet, foody yet sophisticated. This is a gorgeous scent and I need to stop loving limited editions. But it is lovely and if some falls into your hands you are compelled to send it my way check how beautiful it is for yourself. Unless you want to send it to me. Edited by paperrose

I tested the 2005 vintage.

In the bottle: sweet plum (the one in Bordello) over a faintly chilly note. I've never smelled a real sugar plum, but I think this is what it would smell like.

Wet on skin: sweet, juicy plum, with no bitterness at all, and a chilly background note.

Dry on skin: still sweet plum, but a little perfumy rather than straight up fruit. I like this on its own, but I think it would be great for layering over something dark and musky (like Bathsheba). Good throw and decent wear length!

Love love love!

This is just so up my alley! And I thankfully I have enough to last a long time! I found a bottle of the 2005 version and then it got released for yule 2007! I read the description and thought yup I want!!. I'm a sucker for berry/fruit smells.

This is very a sweet plum and has alot of throw and it lasts a long time. It smells like candy berries and it's lovely! There is no tartness to this at all it's just quite simple. And not trying to be flash!!!

I actually got a bottle for my flatmate and she has used it in her burner (Blasphemy in my opinion) but it worked really well.

If you like sweet fruity sugary plum/ berries! Youll like this. It's fun.

ETA: When I get home I'll put the 2 bottles I have on different hands to see how it's aged or if there's any difference!

Edited by ouch!

In Vial: Very Plumy

Wet: Stronger plums with a scent of airy-ness. Plums with a hint of light perfume without being perfumy.

Dry: Strong plums.

When I first put this one on it smelled just like sweet sweet sugared plums but when it dries down it turns sort-of musky. The musk reminds me of Smut, which I don't like all that much to begin with. Smut plus plum really doesn't work for me :P

wet: very sweet, very candy-like; it smells exactly like a sweet powder candy product from my childhood, but i can't for the life of me remember which one. sweet-tarts, maybe?

drydown: a little more berry is coming out now, but it is still very sweet, very candy-like. it is almost too much for me, too sweet and powdery candy for my tummy. :P

ahhh, i'm detecting a subtle plastic note now. not so pleasant, i'm afraid! although MWE is a very pretty scent, and definitely wintery, i'd have to pass on keeping this one even without the odd plastic thing it's doing on me. i'm very happy that i got the chance to try it, but i think it is just too sweet for this girl. alas!

In the bottle and wet on my skin, this is almost an aquatic berry scent for me.

As it dries, I get more of the floral note and mixed with the plums, it's a delicate scent. Perfect for me because I cannot do harsh or vibrant florals, but this is just perfect. The right amount of fruit and sweetness to counter the floral.

I'm very happy I purchased a bottle of this last week untested. :P

This is an '07 decant.

This turned out to be a gentle and sweet fruit and floral scent on me. At first the sugar plums stole the show. Then the florals amped a bit... before it all faded into a sweet but relatively faint smell on my skin. And then it was gone. It stays very close to the skin, but is very beautiful, so really, the only problem with this scent is its lack of staying power.

It seems that I am much in love with gently sweet, warm foodie-floral scents like this one, so I'm extremely grateful to the forumite who sent me this!

Edited by obsidienne

This is the 2007 edition. My husband likes it a bit more than I do, I always get a "that smells nice" from him.

Anyway, sugary plums but no winter flowers. Makes me think a little bit of Midnight on the Midway.

2007 edition:

After I initially applied it and not having worn it since last winter, I was surprised that I picked up a note of pine in it among the sweet plum and icy florals. It didn't last long and might have been my imagination but who knows? The plum is lovely and not powering with just the right amount of sugar. The florals are cool and crisp, somewhat frozen and crystalline. This one is the perfect mixture of fruit and floral with depth and a wintery undertone.

Midwinters Eve 2005 is something I haven't tried since I got it - so, almost 4 years later, here is my review!

Wow, this is a gorgeous sugary, juicy fruit in the vial. On my skin, it becomes a darker yet it is still a sugary ripe fruit, mmmm! After a few hours it softens down to a sweet sugar on my skin, it is just lovely!

i absolutely love this fragrance in the bottle.....it has a gorgeous plum, similar to Lovers in a Ricefield and all my Yule coolness that I'm addicted to....but alas, on THIS midwinters eve, someone did some last minute shopping at a headshop for xmas and there's a blast of incense that comes late in the game (after drydown for me) and everything else was buried under the gift from the headshop.....sigh....sadly, not for me.

I was kindly frimped an imp of the '04 version of this in a forum sale. This makes me think of the Sugar Plum Fairy in The Nutcracker. The plum is a lovely candy-sweet, and the flowers just in the background keep it from becoming cloying. I love this - I hope it makes a comeback this year!

Ever since Bath and Body Works released a sugarplum body spray in the mid-90's (which I drained quite easily at the age of 12) I'd been on the hunt for a sugarplum that was still sugarplum but less cloying. I've found it. :wub2: Midwinter's Eve is all sugarplum spice and snow-covered pine boughs; even though there isn't any evergreen indicated in the description I swear I can smell it. It's like sipping sugarplum tea in front of the Christmas tree with a blizzard brewing outside. I'm ISO a bunch of decants of this because I only have a partial bottle *sniff*

2007 Midwinter's Eve

Another simple Christmas scent. Spiced sugar plums and the barest hints of florals. It is a lovely scent for the first 30 minutes and then the florals become to sweet and the sugared plums turn on my skin.

Wow. Instant :wub2:.

All musky and sweet sugar plums all the time.

There is no flowers that I can detect. Only nommy plums.

'07 version

Eek! Bubblegum plums? The plum part is so strong though that this scent is giving me a major headache....

Definitely not for me.

'07 version.

On wet: ...Jellybeans!?

fading to... currant wine... ACK, sticky sweet and floral

drying to... Hunh. Cranberries? Potpourri?

Dry: Intriguing! Spiced Christmas fruit! Is that... sugarplums I smell? Cranberry chutney?

Overall not bad. Definitely a festive holiday scent.

I recently got the '07 version

Mmmmmmm!!!

Sweet sugar plum, but with a soft floral undertone. Sweet, but sophisticated. This is the perfect warm winter scent for me!

Wow, this scent really threw me for a loop! I'm reviewing the '07 version.

In the bottle: Wow, this is sweet. I was not expecting that at all; it smells like candy! Very "bright" smelling, and not what I'd imagine out of a Yule scent.

Wet: Okay, this makes a little more scents. I can smell the "cold" scent I get from many Yules, but still, this is VERY fruity and sweet.

Dry: Still fruity and sweet, but it's softening a bit. I can't smell anything but plums, but it does have that slightly chilly air to it. Very impressive though; it's dried into a much less cloyingly sweet fragrance than I expected from the bottle. I like this a lot!!

Edited by NicoleJoy

This is the 2004 edition; I think this may be my oldest bottle of anything ever.

Bottle: First whiff - fruity bubblegum candy; second whiff - wintery coolness.

Wet: Fruity bubblegum.

Drydown: I smell like drugstore candy, like Dots and whatnot. Nummy.

Dry: Slightly alcoholic, slightly plastic gumdrops.

My rating: 3/5

'07 Blend:

In the bottle, this smells like sugarplums and sweet cool florals. On my skin, it's sweet, tart plums and maybe a bit of florals in here somewhere.