Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
roesmoker

Fire Eater

A glowing red and flickering scent: warm, lurid, seductive.

I smell an astringent quality, one that's very forward. Not spicy, but warm, like accessible flame-- bright, nearly incandescent, throwing off plenty of sparks... this one's ready to ignite.

On me, this is a warm, aromatic skin smell when wet, top notes of ozone and something vaguely floral I can't quite identify.

On drydown-- OMG THIS SMELLS LIKE LIQUID FIRE. Golden, flaring, leaping spirit of flame embodied in liquid perfume form. Very live, a bit animalian, seriously aldehyde. On the second test, the same result... but at the very, very end, one clear, glowing line of sweet, pure floral loveliness.

C&P from my LJ with a small edit/addition Edited by Shollin

I smell roses. Maybe a few other flowers, too. Of course, I'm sick, so I can't 100% smell things right now. Pretty good, nice clean smell.

My girlfriend says it smells like baby powder.

Score: 3 out of 5

Fire Eater-

In Bottle: Candy and some deep spiciness.

Wet: A woody, rich bloom comes out.

Dry: A little flowery, a little wood-like, and then the smoky scent comes out. Wow, that's interesting! I don't quite love it, I think it's more of a novelty scent for me, but I will try it again.

Overall: Interesting.

Bottle: lovely, subtle floral. no particular note standing out for identification.

Wet: same, but with a bit of a spicy zing. still not picking out the notes with ease.

Dry: that spiciness reminds me of the cinnamon I get from forsythia...but this is warming, so spice by itself is also a possibility. really lovely.

Later: I'm so glad I managed to get this from a forumite, it's such a subtle floral, and that zing really gives it dimension - this isn't a garden floral, it's a floral perfume on the skin of someone exotic; a very sensual floral (and I never thought I'd ever be able to describe a floral that way). Gorgeous!

I've looked back through reviews, and what strikes me is how different this is for different people. Chemistry is amazing, ain't it?

To me?

In the bottle: I immediately think "Smut!" Which is a good thing, because I quite like Smut (yes, you may take this however you'd like...). It's sweet and I think I'm getting red musk and maybe some dragon's blood, but it's too soon to be sure.

Wet, on the skin: I only apply a little dab, since I'm working today, and if it's too much like Smut, it may be a little overpowering if freely slathered. It's warm, and I get a little spice. Maybe cassia, maybe clove, perhaps a bit of both. I still get the muskiness that I associate with Enraged Orangutan and Smut. Perhaps a bit of dragon's blood after all, which would explain the almost fruity spiciness.

Dry: This morphs hugely during the time it lasts (about 5 hours for me, with dwindling throw, though that's not bad for a small dab). While this starts out very much like Smut, it develops an almost coconutty creaminess for awhile once dry. Maybe there is some tonka in this blend? I never really get anything decidedly floral from this blend, which is ok. I love it just as it is. Eventually the creamy, almost foody, note dies back and I'm back with hmmmmm.... Amber? Vanilla? It winds up losing the musky quality and ultimately dies back to a vaguely fruity spiced vanilla.

I cannot believe that I have had this since early summer and have only just reviewed it! I really like it!

In the bottle: disconcerting. Not like anything else. There's soap, there are spices and… flowers (can't be more precise)

On my skin: I'm sure I know this flower… maybe gardenia, but I wouldn't swear. The first reaction is "I don't like it" but then I find myself sniffing my wrist all the time… weird but not unknown of when it comes to me and Bpal!

After a couple of hours: it gets very perfumey, very traditional… but not bad…

Verdict: I don't know, this scent is very confusing. I think the best thing to do is keeping my decant but not chasing for a bottle… but then again, my nose's still glued to my wrist, so…. Confusing!

Fire Eater is warm, spicy and smooth. I do get the image of the fire. It's not a burning smell, or anything, but I imagine a small cozy fire, probably in a cottage.

This scent goes with flames that flicker and warm up, not destroy.

This is an interesting scent, however, despite the comfort. It's quite a glamourous perfume, also.

In the vial: burning, kinda like Fallen.

On the skin: still burning ashes. A bit of resins. Unfortunately, there's no throw on this at all and it's just really hard to tell. What little scent I can get is nice, warm.

On, this is slightly floral, skimpingly spicy, and a very warm scent. It feels comfortable like a good friend. I feel like I have worn this before, although I recently purchased this with five other of the Carnaval Noir Series and this is the first time I have tried it. The floral in it reminds me of lilies, the deep exotic tropical kind with amber or musk in it too. I really love this scent and now will have to be on the look-out for more! :P

We loves it precious yesssss.

This smells like liquid fire. I think I pick out cassia or cinnamon and a floral, perhaps carnation and resin goodness, perhaps DBR?

As it dries, I get pure fire and smoke. Like standing next to a campfire. No wood or spice. Just smoke and flame.

Being a firesign, this was exactly what I was looking for. If fire has a smell, this is it! We loves it!

Wet : Smells like expensive soap.

Dry : Oh poo I was expecting something very warm from this like cinnamon but all I get is bath soap. :P

Over All : Just a very nice Indian sandalwood soap scent.

Big Bottle Worthy : Well either way I'm going to say yes since I've become obsessed with collecting this series. But based on scent alone I'm going to say no.

how did i not type in my review? to copy out of my little handwritten review book:

sniffed from the bottle: smells like hairspray?

on me... hairspray and either civet or jasmine (they smell the same to me. like poo)

as time goes by... i get a bit of brimstone or woodsmoke?

end verdict: get it off, get it off, oh this is SO not for me!

In bottle: I'm guessing amber maybe, vaguely spicey, vaguely floral. This is insanely familiar. Wet: Warm, slightly smokey, I can definitely pick up the hot metal. I think that the floral is carnation. The scent reads pretty androgynous on me. The effect is light and clean and vaguely sexy. Dry: not much throw. Goes a little soapy.

in the bottle: how to say this? astringent spiciness. nothing definable, just...that.

wet on skin: more of the same, but a note of vetiver is coming out now.

dry down: a more perfume-y quality is coming out now. i get some heavy, deep florals, but they are again undefinable . and yes, there *is* a smokiness, but it's more of an afterthought than anything major.

in all: a sultry, spicy floral. i think i'll need to try this again.

This is a spicy, resinous blend. I think there is dragon's blood resin, and possibly cinnamon in it. It does go a teensy bit powdery on me.

Ah well.

It smells like fire, I kid you not. Flowery fire. I normally don't like florals, but I love this. There's a bit of spice and maybe ozone? Whatever it is, it's making sure the florals don't get out of control. It burns to smell it, but in a good, firey way. (Even though that doesn't make sense...) It doesn't have much throw, but it's strong when you do smell it, and tends to linger. I'll see if it evolved after I wear it for a while.

Been wearing it for about two hours now. It's starting to smell a lot like commercial perfume. Most of the people that have smelled it have said something like "Oh, I like that! It smells like something I used to wear..." I really loved it when I first put it on, but now I kind of want to wash it off. I was hoping for some more smoke, but it seems like my skin doesn't like it. :P

Wait, it's softening a bit. I'm getting more of a faint, spicy musk. This is changing a lot on me. Whew, I'm relieved. It's kind of soapy now, but the smoke quality keeps me sniffing my wrist. It's starting to disappear. I have to shove my nose up close to smell any at all, and I've only had it on for two hours. I think I'll keep this for when I want something really subtle, but I won't be hunting down a bottle.

ETA: Okay, this is weird. One wrist is nice and soft cinnamon, but the other is baby powder! I need to try this again, it's just too odd. o.0

Final edit, I promise: I swear there's Patchouli in here. I must amp it like crazy. I can pick out a bit of sandalwood, but it's turned into something not so nice because of the patchouli. I love sandalwood, so this makes me sad. I think I'll try this in a few weeks to see if it's just my body chemistry. If not, I'll have to swap it. Patchouli makes my head hurt. @.@

Edited by Acid

I recently ended up with a decant of this and was a little worried about all the cinnamon mentioned. This one really does flicker like it says in the description on me. Light and fading in and out, there's a spicy, resinous warmth to it. Slightly powdery. Not bad, but not for me.

I have had a bottle of this for a while and while its not my regular kind of scents... Its a nice soapy floral.

Clean smelling.

Bottle: Weird. A little sickly sweet, a little astringent. No one note that really leaps out at me. Maybe... uh... dragon's blood?

Wet: On the skin for the first minute or so this falls flat. It's not unpleasant but it's not particularly mesmerizing. There's something in here that's a little sour. I think it might be white rose but I'm not sure. Definitely one of those scents that takes its sweet time to adjust to my skin.

Dry: I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is primarily dragon's blood and tonka. Am I right? Am I wrong? WE'LL NEVER KNOW!! But I'm getting a very distinct whiff of tonka and definitely some dragon's blood. Maybe there's some eucalyptus in here to give it a bit of zing? In any case, one's it drydowns it's gorgeous. Very sultry, soft, a little heated. Not in your face but certainly not a wilting flower.

Throw: Moderate.

Overall: I'm glad to have the bottle and will wear it happily.

I received this as a frimp in a swap so I have no idea how old it is. It's very red and thick, and I can't pick out any notes other than "floral", "soapy" and generally "perfumey".

I am new to BPAL, and received a half-imp of Fire Eater from a very kind forum member as a gift with a purchase. I've never had an experience with a perfume like the one I had with this. It wasn't a pleasant experience, but it really speaks to the power of these blends to evoke associations and emotions. So this blend wasn't for me, but it convinced me of the depth of Beth's amazing abilities.

In the imp: A cologne note, pleasant. An underlying sweet resinous scent, dragon's blood? Not one of my favorites.

Wet on me: I get the cologne, with a dry wood smell. Some smoke emerges. No hint of that sweet resin. I'm getting once-bright, now faded golds, browns, and reds, like old weathered posters. Definitely a seedy carnival vibe, with all the beauty and rot inherent in that. The word "lurid" in the description is just right.

On the drydown: More piney wood coming out, with an ashy cinder note, I like this combination. On top of that is the cologne overlay. These two smells don't combine, they stay layered, with the cologne on top of the burned wood. I want to smell that charred wood, but I want to get away from the cologne.

30 minutes later: Picking up more of that incensey sweetness and smelling the char behind it. I continue to like the burned wood smell, but the cologne continues to blot it out and disturb me. I feel like I'm being stalked by someone seedy and menacing while I'm just trying to enjoy this burning wood scent.

Eventually I had to wash it off, but it would not come off. I tried alcohol, I tried scented soap and water. Finally I was able to blot it out with lavender oil. Later I went to bed and had a very disturbing dream that included seeing a film about sideshow performers.

P.S. my 9 year old son, who is developing an obsession with BPAL along with me, said he liked Fire Eater, and could smell sandalwood and smoke.

Fire Eater was my first BPAL love. Here is where my perfume history comes in. During the 80's I wore carnation. Carnation day in and day out. I used a carnation glycerin soap {no longer findable but at the time all the scent your own places carried it} and the carnation used for the scent your owns. The carnation scented lotion, shampoo, body oil. Carnation carnation carnation. When I moved to a city without scent your own shops I started wearing bellogia which is a carnation scent from the 20's~~ classic goodness. So somewhere along the way I heard of BPAL and ordered the carnival scents. I hated them all. ALL of them. And I was used to wearing essential oils from the head shops and scent your own and hippie dippie co-ops {i grew up in a fairly large college town} but something about Fire Eater kinda did it for me. It smelled a bit like pencil shavings but mellowed to a spicy warm yum. Which I associated with carnations. Carnations are spicy warm yummy to me. A few years later my kid let upended my box of BPAL and the memory of spicy warm Fire Eater dragged me into the forum to find some and other carnation based scents. Bellogia had turned to pencil shavings on me so I knew that the note was carnation but somehow Beth's, upon aging, no longer did the lead hell and the fancy french perfume {perfume not eau du toilette or cologne but freaking assed perfume} was staying in the lead phrase.

Just recently I was imputing my bottles and imps into the stash manager and knew I was missing some scents because there was no Fire Eater to be found in my cigar box or imp cases. Yesterday I found it and wore it... no lead, no woah baby this smells icky {the new wet phrase for me way back when} and I was seduced by the warm creamy spicy goodness. I STILL love this scent. If you like that creamy spiciness you get from Hod or other carnation based BPALs you should enjoy this one. The fire and brimstone has aged out very well.