Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
roesmoker

Fire Eater

A glowing red and flickering scent: warm, lurid, seductive.

Bottle: I'm hard pressed to say what this smells like. It isn't as sweet as I'd expected, it's spicy and clear, and a little pungent. I believe I can pick out some sandalwood, and some sort of musk maybe? It's woody more than anything, though. (Because wood burns?)

Wet: Very spicy! Sandalwood, and...not cinnamon, but something else similar. I wouldn't call it a warm scent, myself, but... I do feel like my skin is actually heating up a bit where it's lying. o.o; Clove. I'm getting cloves now. Sandalwood and clove, that's where the sharpness is coming from.

Dry: It remains very woody, though I do get a bit of musk now...or civet; I can hardly tell them apart. It's got a sort of weird almost salty undertone that I don't really care for. It might work on a guy better than me, though; it's an extremely manly sort of smell.

Final Opinion: Much like Nemesis, I think this is Too Much Man For Me. I never got anything terribly warm or lurid... there are other things I'd be more inclined to describe as 'warm' besides this. I don't really care for the animal/feral twang, and really, it's just not sweet enough for me. Off to the swaps with this one. Edited by Shollin

Fire Eater

Got this in a swap with ladymissspyder.

Fire Eater is herbally bitter and perhaps a little spicy and floral on me. Can't make out any notes and I don't like it. It's also quite faint.

In the Bottle: Musky men's cologne and alcohol.

Dry: A very musky floral, I personally would put this on a man despite the florals. or a VERY strong woman. It's very sexy!!

Bottle: A red, smokey scent.

Just On: It blooms with red, orange, and yellow intertwined with smoke.

An hour or two later: Hmm, I think there might be some flowers in this, but it's still a pretty bright reddish scent.

Around 6 hours: Hmmm, now I am smelling some spice, some smoke, some sweet, and some florals. It's nice.

12 hours: It's pretty much gone.

Overall: I like this, but again, it's not as foody as I prefer.

After reading other reviews: It seems I'm not the only one who had some confusion on exactly what was in it, and what comes out. All around nice.

Wet this is an earthy floral and maybe some patchouli. When first on it has a sharp floral tang and is a bit spicey. After a couple of mintues an almost coconut or nutty undertone develops. This note gets stronger and warmer and I think it’s tonka. This dries down to a lovely soft floral- really nice!

This is a warm musk on first application, very "perfumey" to my nose. As it dries, however, the floral notes come out, mild and sweet and spicy. I think I catch a hint of cinnamon.

It gets warmer and spicier over time, but it also blends together more, so I'm not able to name any individual notes. It's floral and peppery, and quite light.

After a while, I get a green and smokey note, which I didn't expect at all, and it becomes a bit acrid. Interesting.

This is woodsy and complex.

At first I wasn't sure I liked it, but as it warmed and dried, layers of clove, sweet light florals and fresh chopped wood began to surface.

This is a very strong, spicey and SEXY scent. I really love it, but it's too heavy for everyday wear.

Deffinately a keeper.

I must say I never gave Fire Eater much of a chance. It has some very strong florals like jasmine or gardenia that don't agree with me. I started to get a headache and washed it off.

This felt very masculine to me. I didn't get any spice or florals. It reminded me more of fire itself -- not smoke, but somehow the scent of flames. There was also a very dry wood underneath. After a while, though, it turned a bit powdery. It lasted for several hours and was strong enough for my boyfriend to perk up and say, "Something smells GOOD!" Unfortunately, it's not to my preferences. Maybe I'll just give it to the idiot since he liked it so much. :P

First sniff: Mmmmmm. Dragon’s blood, I’m almost sure of it. A soft, quiet, restrained – and yet smoldering – dragon’s blood scent.

Wearing: Quite sweet on my skin. It’s reminiscent of The Living Flame – a coral-red vaguely floral sweetness that I can’t quite pin down. It gets a bit spicy as it dries.

ADDED Jan. 27:

I got a sniff of the original Fire Eater, the prototype that a few lucky folks got their hands on, in a round-robin swap. It's...

First sniff: Completely different from the released version. It’s quite a bit softer and sweeter – it reminds me of honeysuckle.

Wearing: Somehow it’s like a round fruity jasmine. It goes very floral as it dries. Which is good – I didn’t need to fall in love with another unfindable scent. :P

Edited by Shollin

at first: very warm.

on: just generally warm.

1 hour later: warm and soft.

2 hours later: very pretty. powdery, warm, and soft.

3 hours later: still powdery and warm.

overall: i'm not sure what any of the notes are in this, but i like it. it's warm, but not firey.

In the bottle, this pinkish-gold perfume is spicy, clean, floral. It's carnation-peppery, lively, and sweet without being sugary. I like it a lot.

Fresh on the skin, it blooms to something hot and dry. It's floral, but these aren't sweet flowers, they're hot and slightly metallic. This combination gives it a fiery smell. Not a smoke-smell, but the dry and arid smell of actual fire. Hot metal. At the same time, perversely, it's a very clean smell. The throw is heavenly but faint. There's not a lot of base to this, it's all bright topnotes. It's a bit powdery, which is at odds with the sharply peppery note.

As it fades, it loses its peppery distinction on me and becomes rather unremarkably perfume-y. Floral and rather soapy. I'll certainly give it another try or two, but I think I can say that this one didn't end up as remarkable as it began.

This is the first oil that actually made my skin feel warm after I applied slathered it on.

I'm not sure what to think of this one, when I read the description my mind was set on cinnamon, clove, dragon's blood, and yellow flowers.

On: It's very floral, spicy red floral, like cobra lily but with a softer note at the end. There is something smoldering and metalic, that I just can't put my finger on.

Lot's of throw.

Verdict: Nice

I decided to re-try my imp of this now that it's revisiting us. I like it more than I remember. I too definitely get dragon's blood resin primarily, with an interesting smoky background aroma. It could definitely be a men's scent, but I wouldn't feel out of place wearing it.

It does dissipate FAST though. I might not get a bottle this time around, just because I don't know if I'd use it, and those that require reapplying every 1/2 hour annoy me.

I'd call it a 3.5 out of 5.

My first Carnival Noir scent!!!

In the bottle, musk and spices. Wet on my skin, this is sweet-spicy musk like honey and cloves and sweat. There's a tinge of candlelight in this - literal olfactory candlelight. As it dries, a smoky incense comes out - possibly myrrh? Warmed up, this is spicy but mild and slightly dusty. Not at all unpleasant but vague. I have no idea what it is, but something has my wrist glued permanently under my nose with this one. YUM. I give it another half hour before I'm licking my arm here. Hmm. YUMMY. After an hour or two, this one gets more powdery, like a musky cinnamon dust - it's not exactly unpleasant but it is odd.

This one surprised me with the utter change it underwent from new and wet to dry and aged on my skin. In all my BPAL experience, I've never seen a scent undergo such a dramage change. I'm absolutely stunned.

I would love to know what it is I am smelling because I LOVE it! It reminds me of lighting sparklers. I'm going to guess it is carnation based on other reviews here. Fire Eater is peppery with only the barest hint of florals. There is also a bit of smokiness and musk. This is a keeper!

Fire Eater - This is the most horrific BPAL scent I've encountered so far. It didn't smell so bad when I smelled it wet in the bottle, but the moment it touched my skin, I smelled like a sleazy old man who doused himself with waaaaayyy too much cheap men's cologne. It also had the very distinct note of "bad breath" to it, too. The worst part was it didn't come off my skin no matter how hard I scrubbed. Sorry, I love BPAL, but this one I just can't handle.

(Original '05 version) I've heard this one is floral like mad, which makes me afraid, but I figure I'll try it out anyway.

In the vial - Strooong something. Spicey with some sweet and that perfume alcohol scent.

Wet - I'm getting a spicey wood note, but no florals. Yay so far. Interesting scent. Hard to pin down.

Drying - This one is really odd. It's less of a smell, more of a sensation. It tingles my nose and my wrist. It has a faint spicey sweetness with some... carnation? No, I think it's gardenia. It really is faint, whatever it is.

Dry (15 minutes) - Ah, there's the floral everyone was talking about. I'm pretty sure it's not jasmine, since my skin hasn't amped it, and there's probably some rose in it. Eh, still spicey, but blah.

Overall - It's a spicey floral in an unusual way. It's not SPICES spicey, but it tingles your nose. I can see this growing on me, especially as far as florals go. Hmm, I'll have to keep trying it.

Edited by Tess

I... have no idea what is in fire eater.

I really am not sure what it smells like, but it doesn't smell the same on me as it does in the bottle... I don't dislike it, but I don't /really/ love it either. It's extremely confusing and runs the gambit of every type of scent besides foody. It is incensy, perfumy, floral... and more.

I may just keep it because it's so mysterious...

I guess flames are ever-changing... that is what Fire Eater is for me.

I love Fire Eater, it is up there in my top three florals with Perfumed Garden and Berenice. It is a little smoky, a little powdery, maybe a bit of champagne and altogether YUM.

My guess is poppy and lily, but I am one of the clueless many when it comes to actual notes. What's not there: rose, jasmine, lavender.

I'm so glad I got to try this one.

In the vial: Florals and spice

On me: Very floral at first - it takes a while for the spice to come out, but it does. This makes for a very interesting scent. It smells fantastic on me!

Verdict: So glad I got a bottle!

Rating: 5/5

In the Imp: Soapy and powdery.

Wet: Seems very masculine, yet it's very, very soapy smelling. Manly soap? There is a bit of floweriness, possibly carnation like someone else has mentioned.

Dry: Still soapy/floral.

Throw: So-so.

Overall: I expected something very much different than this turned out to be. There really isn't any hint of fire to this blend. No heat, no smoke, it doesn't even seem "red" to me, just soapy and slightly spicy floral. The longer it stays on the more powdery it becomes.

To the swap pile with thee!

There aren't any scent notes listed for this at all. The reviews in the forum all lean towards it being a very floral scent. But I don't get that at all.

In the bottle it seems very smoky and spicy. Sort of like Brimstone maybe. I wasn't sure I liked it much at all. I was a little anxious when I put it on, because cinnamon or cassia tend to not like my skin and they turn me all red and itchy. This didn't do that at all. And on me, it's very soft but spicy too. Smokey and sweet. But I don't really get a "floral" scent from it. Maybe dragon's blood and cinnamon with some tobacco? I like it alot but it's fading pretty quickly. That's kind of disappointing. I'd like it to last longer and have a bit more throw. I'm not sure if I'll keep this one or not...

In Bottle: Red smoke

On Skin: This is very, very smoky. It remind sme of Hellfire right away… not good. I really don’t like heavily smoky blends. While this one is sweet, I just can’t past that heavy cloud of smoke. Then a floral starts to come out. Hmm… smoky flowers, this really isn’t working on me. I am not getting the soapy note so many people have mentioned. I just smell smoke, a resin, and flowers… a resin of some sort and patchouli. Nothing about this scent captures me and I really don’t like it. Sorry Beth! I hate not liking a scent… Strong throw and long wearlength.