Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
roesmoker

Fire Eater

A glowing red and flickering scent: warm, lurid, seductive.

Do I detect a bit of dragon's blood in here? Fire Eater is a little spicy as well, a little floral. It's somewhat, and may I emphasize the somewhat like Lush's Potion. I mean it's like a spicy carnation in there. I don't think I'm liking this one. It settles in as a weirdly traditional perfume, kinda ...cloying and stinky.

I'll be patient with it.

Actually, after some time it has begun to smell like some awful floral Victoria's Secret perfume, Rapture perhaps. Ew ew ew.

The dragon's blood has faded and now it's a golden floral.

Thanks to wickedgoddess :D and the swap circle, I got a chance to try this.

This is a very sophisticated scent. It seemed golden to me, rather than red. Imagine walking into a room of (nice-smelling!) rich people with very expensive tastes.

It also reminds me of Chanel's powder, the softly scented one that comes in a sleek black/white box. This image comes to mind because my mom had a box like that. :P

I don't think it's for me, but this would be an impressive scent to wear if you're attending a black-tie event, or something formal.

ok, i must have incredibly different chemistry then anyone else.

in the bottle: hellfire. smells just like it to me, no florals, no soap, just heat, fire, ash

wet it is a bit sharp a hint metallic, and yet still reminds me of hellfire, not a floral or soapy note in sight.

dry: all but nothing, it has evaporated, or been osmositized (yeah i made that word up) in to me, it has a very very very light hint of hellfire still there, but mostly nothing at all.

weird

I ordered multiples of this because at first I thought this would be a strong cinnamon scent, but it actually is a floral/spicy/hot scent with no cinnamon on me. I'm torn on this one. I don't like it when first applied. On the drydoown, it becomes "hot" smelling, but I can't pinopoint any notes. I think I like it but, again, I need to wear this a few times to get myself "familiar" with it.

Fire eater is...strange. Spicy, floral, soapy, cinnamon and something. Mostly spice when it's wet and soap when it's dry. Something in it really reminds me of glycerine soap. It smells too chemical-y for me.

I was expecting Fire Eater to be hot and spicy - sort of like a more festive version of Wrath or somthing. Instead, much like when I tried The Living Flame, I get almost nothing out of this.

In the vial, it was a kind of soapy floral. On my skin, it diappeared within seconds. Odd that.

I am very confused by Fire Eater. My first impression of it was negative -- streight out of the bottle, it smelled, as has been said, like fuel. In that sense it really does smell like fire. Like a chemical fire. On my skin, it smells like hot fire and metal. But then at times, it smells sort of like a Crabtree & Evelyn store -- like very perfumey, floral, "nice" soaps that you're never supposed to use. And then at other times it's almost soft and genteel -- still very mucha floral, but sort of light and clean.

I'm not sure what I think of it. I don't think I like it, but I'm not sure. The light jasmine aspect of it is very disarming. This scent goes from agressive to innocent in the blink of an eye.

I am stunned by Beth's ability to capture concepts in scent like this. Because Fire Eater really is all the danger and soot and fuel and metal of a carnival side-show, without being a raging fire.

This scent is very confusing. I'm not an expert by any means at detecting florals. I know only a few, and I'm not really getting any of what I'm familiar with in this blend. It is warm and spicy, but not carnation to my nose. It's soft and floral, but not delicate. Very hard to explain. But I do like it very much.

First Impression: Musk and gasoline - there must be jasmine in here.

Dries down to: A musky jasmine with a brief hint of citrus. Then, the jasmine recedes a bit, the citrus disappears entirely and a light spiciness, maybe pepper, licks the edges. The mental image I get is of an oily puddle at a gas station with a jasmine wrist corsage laying in it. The corsage fell off a girl's wrist on prom night when she and her date stopped for gas and something to drink.

Additional Comments: It's tolerable when if finally dries down but also very faint. This is another one of the jasmine scents that does not work on me at all. Others have mentioned carnation and rose but I don't get either of those, nor do I get cinnamon or dragon's blood. Mostly, I just get an oily jasmine.

Lasted: A couple of hours.

Rating: 1 out of 5

I smell like old lady. Not the cool grandma that took you to the theatre and told you ghost stories old lady, but purple hair and bingo old lady. I wanted so much to like this and smelled very spicy and interesting in the bottle, but my skins turns it into powdery blah. Luckily, it seems to be fading very quickly.

i'm at a loss to explain this scent. it is compleatly different than any other perfume i have ever tried, of any variety.

in the bottle, it almost isn't there. at all. if you sniff more deeply, it is reminiscent of butylene candles. i know, that doesn't make any sense.

it is the same way at first, when you dab it on. no perceptible smell. it is warm on the skin, however. and the longer i wear it, and sniff it, the more confused i am. just waving my hand in front of my nose, i love this. trying to smell it up close, and the individual notes all blur.

dry: it is faintly floral, and a spicy floral. i think the spice comes from whatever floral note it is. carnation, perhaps, or some sort of spicy rose (i don't know the rose varietals well enough to say). i think there is also a white, night-blooming flower of some kind: jasmine or tuberose or pikaki?? who knows.

what this scent does to me when i close my eyes:

a sultan's tent, set up by an oasis in the desert. lavish, strewn with soft fabrics, pillows, flowers overflowing from dozens of vases, candles, drapes. there is a fireplace, a chiminea.

the night had been fiercely cold night, stars like needles in the dark sky. the sultan and i made passionate love next to the blazing fire, over and over and over. he left before dawn. i barely noticed, sated with sensual overload and compleatly spent.

when i awake, the tent is dimly lit with dappled shadows of the early morning. the blaze in the chiminea has become a gentle, warm glow of embers. i stretch and inhale the day. the faded flowers of the night greet me, along with the lassitude and content of a night well spent in flames the day will not ever see.

the way that i imagine that i would feel, IN THAT MOMENT, is what fire eater smells like.

not before or during the eating of the fire. what it smells like after the fire eater has swallowed.

First sniff from the bottle- Very, very floral.

After 20 minutes- I think this also has carnation in it. It smells similar to Gypsy Queen's wet stage but without the spicy warm amber. I honestly can't pin point what is in this, but it is a symphony of flower smells. Maybe violet, rose, jasmine, carnation and something musky?

Summery- Hmmm...Definitely not for me. This is a very grown up and sophisticated scent but much too floral for my taste.

My Impression:

Definitely floral notes that my untrained nose cant pick out from one another. I agree with the earlier reviews about its complexity. To me this is a regal and refined dark sensual scent. On my scale of 1-5.....4 Congratulations on another wonderful success Beth :P

Fire Eater's an odd one... I've had my Odditorium for a little while now, and have been holding off on writing a review because I want to make sure to give it a fair shake. It really didn't smell like... well, anything the first few times I tried it, but that was probably because I was trying at least three other oils at the same time. Now it's the only thing on my skin, and it's making its presence known, albeit subtly.

In the bottle: How can a scent that contains no alcohol smell so... alcoholy? Not boozy, but that cold "put the lid on, dammit, I'm evaporating!" sensation you get from rubbing alcohol. And a clean soapy scent - kind of astringent. Someone else mentioned this smelling like fuel, and I can see the associations - it smells conflagrant.

On: Well, this is different. In a complete 180 from how it smelled in the bottle, on my skin it's a warm smoky floral and musk blend. Maybe a bit of incense. This smells like a posh commercial blend to me, very sophisticated. I'm thinking it might be red musk I smell... but it's coming across as more "classy" than "sexy" - this is definitely a feminine scent on me, but a versatile one that could be worn for day as well as evening.

After trying this several times and having it work so beautifully today, I'm afraid that my chemistry might be momentarily messed up - I hope not, because this is quite lovely. :P

Source: Fireeater's honeymoon

Second I also have a 12 year old helper K. (also properly inabled in BPAL :P ) helping with her thoughts on this review.

In the vial:

K: gets a soapy scent

me: Ok I may be nuts but I swear I am getting violet and possibly amber. There is a defininte spicy floral scent here.

First on:

K: Pure Floral a really nice not cloying floral in fact. There is a smidge of warmth but nothing like mine.

Me: Very first scent spice (about 2 seconds :D ) but quickly the floral hits white flowers on fire. This baby is getting HOT fast. But not spice just hot like my skin should be warming up to match.

Drydown:

K: Pure sweet floral nice again not cloying or heavy. Strangely more similar to the sweeter scents then anything hot here.

Me: This one is odd it keeps switching on me still. It hits a great period of ambery and possibly a little vanilla yummy spicyness with a hint of floral and then switches to a heavier floral and then back. But in its spicy stage it is so amazingly nice and hot.

Overall: This one is really a chemistry scent, this is one of those that really varies depending on the person. Where the floral is very nice on K. it just doesn't really fit the name but on me the scent is HOT!! I can feel the flames on my face. I think this is a really great scent I am so happy I got to try it in time to get a bottle.

Fire Eater

In the imp: dried flower petals. It's an odd floral-it smells like dried flowers but with fresh nectar and pollen as well-quite hard to describe really.

Wet on skin: hmm, this is quite an unusual scent. I'm thinking fresh blossoms mixed with dried faded petals with something green and sharp? Very strange…

Dry on skin: this isn't too bad actually. It's definitely a floral scent, but I can't pin down what flower or flowers are in here. It reminds me slightly of flowers from a florists-maybe carnation, sweet pea or freesia? Or perhaps stargazer lily? The more I sniff, the more I think this could be lily. It's like a pink-red bouquet of rich flowers-it no longer smells dry and sharp, it smells more fresh, even quite dewy now. It's got a definite warmth, but no discernible spice. I'm also wondering if there may be dragon's blood here as there's a clear red scent to this.

After a while: there's a clearer, sweeter, richer floral scent coming through now. Like someone stuck a bunch of fragrant blooms under my nose. Thing is, I still don't know what floral this is! It's so intriguing, it's like I've smelt it before but I can't remember what it is. However, I have a hunch that it is a lily of some sort. I can even smell the pollen, the nectar, and the stamens of the flowers here.

The more I sniff this, I can recognise another smell in here-candles!!! There's something here that reminds me of candle wax/smoke. Or something flammable but not overly chemical and off putting, sort of like paraffin or candle wax. It fits with the name and theme. It's warm, waxy, like a gentle flame from a candle. It even feels warm on the skin.

Verdict: this is one of the most unusual floral blends I've ever smelt. It's hard to put my finger on exactly what this smells like, but somehow just 'flowers' cannot even begin to describe what this smells like. It's a pink-red scent, at once both fresh and even moist, but also warm, like a softly glowing fire-but with no blatant spices. It reminds me of a sort of lily, maybe with dragon's blood, but I could be wrong. All I know is that it's a fascinating and different flowery scent to the usual. But as time passes, I start to make out a scent of candles or paraffin, that really does evoke fire, flammable and flickering. I really like it, but it's so baffling that I'm unsure if I want a bottle, but I'm keeping the imp of it, as I think this is another scent that will grow on me.

Fire Eater starts out as a musky scent with a hint of florals. It morphs into a sweet floral (sans musk), then into a soapy scent with the musk flitting in and out, which is replaced by an odd chemical note. It eventually fades out almost completely, leaving a slight soapy chemical residue on my skin.

It was fun to track Fire Eater through its evolution but it doesn't really suit me all that much.

Initial Sniff: Very soapy and floral. Not what I expected.

Wearing: This starts out magenta - bright flowers in the sun. There is a phase where it smells like something is burning, then it turns into Dollar Store fancy guest soaps.

Final Impressions: This so doesn't work on me. :P

Soft and red like The Living Flame, with its spicy and floral touch... but a bit more masculine.

They will make a happy couple: Fire Eater and The Living Flame! :P

It's like another Living Flame, except this time I can't pick out specific notes.

In the vial, it smells "floral". When I put it on, it's still floral, but nothing I can pinpoint. It's floral & spicy around the edges. It's almost similar to the spicy scent I picked up in another blend....oh crap. It's going to soap.

Spicy soap. Ugh.

Fire Eater

Just on: It smells … flammable. Peppery, maybe; slightly floral but not really; a little fumy, but not like gasoline or kerosene, really; red, certainly. I know that doesn’t help.

Drying: I get a whole lot of strangely familiar but extremely elusive impressions. This is almost sweet, but not quite, faintly spicy, but not in the usual way. Carnation, maybe? Wood of some sort, but not pine, cedar, fir, sandalwood, oak … is that juniper, perhaps? Feels like it might be juniper, on the tip of my tongue where I sometimes taste scents that are absorbed through my skin. Something warm and smooth down underneath, like the gel fire-eaters use to protect their mouths and faces from burns. Not that I know what that smells like, but that’s the impression I get. I’m sure there is light musk in this, because it is all disappearing very quickly, with that fuzzy sort of after-scent that is usually all I get from white musk. All that is left within 10 minutes is a faintly spiced vanishing musk, melting rapidly into my own skin scent, and a tingling at the tip of my tongue. A pity, because what I smelled I quite liked; a scent not just in the common way, with a great deal of interest to it.

Oh, well. I’ll try cushioning it in some lotion and see if that makes a difference, or use it in a scent locket. Or find someone whose skin doesn’t kidnap light musk and pretty much every note embedded in it.

I'm amazed that everyone is getting a "strong floral" from this because for me, it's more of a spicy, red incensey smell. There is a floral base, but it is overshadowed by a musky reddness, sort of a patchouli type head shop note. It reminds me of smoke, which I guess is extremely appropriate for Fire eater. It's not my favorite, but overall a very nice scent, gender neutral quite pleasant.

In bottle: Swirling bright red. There's definitely patchouli or possibly tobacco - it's a heady, smoky base. Layered with that is something sweet, like the flames. The sweetness stems from a floral, not a fruit or candy. The slight spiciness is something my head immediately wants to call cinnamon - but it doesn't smell like cinnamon at all, I think the association is made only because 'fire' and 'cinnamon' are often used in conjunction.

On me: It's definitely a blend that's put together so skillfully that individual notes are next to impossible to identify. I think there's dragon's blood in this, and while many of the earliest reviews listed 'carnation' as a note I must say that I don't smell anything of the sort. The smoky note remains, but I don't even get much of a floral. The review Northernminx posted earlier in the thread is the closest to the scent I experienced.

In the bottle: Cologne. Wow, that's a helpful description. But it really does smell like a lot of classic fragrances... the Chanel No. 5 and Youth Dew's of the world. There's nothing in particular my nose can detect, but I will look it up during drydown.

First on: It softens. When I get my nose right up to my wrists I smell the aldehyde smell (see, looked it up) of the in-the-bottle, but I am surrounded by a miasma of florals. There are roses. But good roses... often BPAL roses go soft on me and turn too powdery. Aw man this stuff is GOOD!

Drydown: Heh... I went downstairs and the bf sniffed and said, suspiciously, "Did you buy more of that perfume from that website?" To which I said, "Yeah." and he replied, "This one is nice. You should wear it again." And kissed my neck. Hee. The boy goes for the hot-smelling fragrances, which is one reason we get along so well.

This mellows down more, and the strong scent fades but has good staying power. It's warm and sensuous and very very sexy.

Overall: I'm glad I bought a 5 mL smell unsmelled. I only hope Bed of Nails will be this good.