Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Midway

A bombardment of edible carnival indulgences. Funnel cake, caramel apple, cotton candy, salt water taffy and sugar tart.

Well, I spilled this last night while trying to review this.
I'm one sad panda :evil:

Luckily very nice people who didn't like their Midway bottles have offered to sell me their nearly full ones :D I love the people on these forums - so so awesome :D

Anywho - onto the subject at hand: The review.

Here's hoping I don't spill it again! :P

In the bottle: I read the description of this, and all I'm getting is cotton candy with a HINT of saltiness behind it...It's SO good though and I want to drink the oil :D

Wet on the skin: Still that same salty cotton candy that I was getting in the bottle...The cotton candy seems to take over more though...

Dry down: Candy apple? Kinda? If you put a candy apple in some cotton candy - this is what it would smell like..There's still that HINT of saltiness though that tames the sweetness and makes it manageable
This is so freaking good - I'm willing to buy bottles from everyone LOL

Beth - if your next Carnival Noir editions have smells like this - I'll be ready to buy :D Edited by Shollin

wow, talk about evocative. it's *the* smell of the midway, period. delicious. however, most carnivals/fairs have the onion ringy/ cooking meat smells added with the funnel cakey, carmel appley scent, but rest assured, it's just the sweet stuff present in this oil. i ADORE this one. it's surprisingly light and wearable, and all out scrumptious!

:P in a word: YUM.

smells exactly the same on me as it does in the bottle, which is good. this one would have broken my heart if it morphed too much.

it has a certain note that i can't pinpoint, but it reminds me a bit of creme brulee scented lotion from the tutti dolce line at bath and body works. i'm definately a fan.

I initially bought a bottle of this thinking that the kidlet would love it. I'm not usually a fan of the ubersweet foody scents. But one sniff and I fell head over heels in love with Midway.

I can't add anything unique to the many, many reviews already available for this scent, but I'll forge ahead anyway. In the bottle, Midway is a mish-mash of fair goodness: funnel cake and caramel and sweetness.

On, it develops a hint of buttery popcorn, but not Shill-like BUTTER POPCORN, just subtle butteriness; the scent as a whole is very light, though it strengthens a little as it dries.

I cannot wait to find out how Midway changes as it ages. Seriously. Love.

it is funny, to me, that i so love a scent that smells purely of spun sugar.

i first was interested for my sister, who loves sweet cotton candy girly scents and she dismissed it from a sniff of the imp saying "phew. cotton candy and vanilla. too vanilla."

and i even coveted a bottle and have since made a spray so i can bathe my aura in the sweet cloud of spun sugar.

Such yummy goodness!! I’m so happy that I managed to nab a bottle when the Carnivale Noirs were re-released for a bit. At first I get a lot of the fruit tart scent… very berry. There’s always a sugar scent wafting through back and forth though… perhaps the funnel cakes, perhaps the taffy? It could be either, or both maybe. All it’s missing is the scent of corndogs and it’d smell just like the carnivals and circuses I went to as a kid… but I’m not sure I’d want the corndogs in my Midway… lol.

This is such a warm yummy scent.

I got a bottle of this literally the morning I was leaving on vacation (lovely lovely mailman was early). So I took it with!

And wore it..a lot.

It smelled so wonderful and summery.

This morning I pulled out a sweater I had worn once (gotta lovely Wisconsin that it actually got cool enough one evening for a sweater) and it smelled like a soft cloud of spun sugar with just a touch of salty..

Weirdly enough..it reminds me..just a bit of kettle corn..very light on the salty corn part though.

:P

I do not know how Beth does it, but this smells like a perfect mix of all of the Carnival/Fair goodies..heaven

Aaaaah sweet foody goodness! :P It smells just like a carnaval midway with all the foods wafting in the air......

I get the cotton candy, cake( don't know what funnelcake is ) and something a little salty......absolute heaven! :D I have a bottle from the second time the carnaval rolled in so I'm curious to find out if it'll even get better with age.....

That is....*if* the bottle will last me that long :D

On my skin, Midway's got a very strong "strawberry joss sticks" note -- very similar to the strawberry in Pink Phoenix, actually. There's a vanilla-like sweetness to the scent. It's very thick, very heavy. I think of bubble gum.

Then, on some days, it smells like... carnival fart. Like the funnel cake, the caramel apple, the cotton candy, the salt water taffy and the sugar tart merged together to form a giant candy monster, and farted out a very, very sweet scent. Carnival fart.

To me this smells like a very light, sweet super-sugary vanilla scent.

Like cotton candy with more vanilla.

At times it gets a slightly plastic/dusty scent on my skin, but not consistently enough to be considered a problem... Some days it does, some it doesn't.

I really love the scent of Midway- it screams SUGAR. I don't smell any apple or anything, just sugar sugar sugar.

It's a very light scent, but it does manage to have decent throw.

This is one of those scents I had to try, just based on the enchanting description. Sniffing the bottle, I was in love . . . Until it hit my skin.

First there was caramel, rich and sticky, followed by salt. Salty caramel. And then salty burning caramel. Apparently there was a hard lesson I had to learn here: caramel, on me, turns acrid and bitter as burning sugar. :P

In the bottle: Smells like a suntan lotion--like an artificial buttery coconut scent.

Wet on skin: Just on, it's very buttery and salty with a bit of sweetness. There's still that artificial, plasticky scent, though.

Drydown: Mmmm, funnelcake. Lots of caramel, too.

Overall: As a confirmed foodie, I liked it as I thought I would. I just wish that on me, it would last longer and throw more.

The notes in Midway are so well blended that I can't even pick them out. My sister reccomended this to me while I was at will-call so I snatched it up and I'm soooooo happy I did. It's just such a soothing, sweet, warm scent. :P It makes me happy when I smell it, but isn's so overpowering that it makes me sick. It strikes me as being the kind of scent that will warm you up on a cold day.

On the downside, it doesn't have any throw. I'm wearing it both on my skin and in my scent locket today and it barely registers. Maybe it'll become a little more potent with age? *crosses fingers*

Overall, Midway is just delightful and I highly reccomend it to anyone who enjoys soft, foody scents. This is definately one of my favorites.

I didn't order a bottle of this because I was afraid that the caramel apple note would overwhelm it, as the butter-based scents tend to do on me.

But when I tried an imp? ::swoon:: It smells like funnel cake, sweet and greasy. Yum! I smell good enough to eat. :P

Midway was one of my first few full bottle purchases and I have no regrets!

It really does smell like everything I love about fairs; the sickly sweet food!! When I first smelled this I wished the fair was in town so I could get my yearly Funnel Cake fix (thank the gods for IHOP). Cotton Candy, Funnel Cake, Carmel Apples... what else do you need in a scent? It's so perfect, Beth did an awesome job in capturing the scent. I let my husband sniff it and I told him it was called Midway and right off he was like Yah! This does smell like Cotton Candy and Funnel Cake!

Suprisingly I don't think I have worn this one yet. In a newbies excitement I was getting so many bottles/imps that poor little Midway got overlooked, but I'm breaking this baby out Monday morning for sure!

I got 2 imps of this on good faith that, when it comes to including ALL of my favorite food items in one oil, this would HAVE to be perfect for me.

I only wish I could get my hands on a full bottle. Or three or ten.

In the imp: Pure sugary goodness. I almost dropped the imp all over myself in a sugary burst of joy.

Wet on skin: Barely there. A few more generous dabs later and I'm getting sweet candy and baked sugar delight.

Dry: I thought it had vanished. I couldn't smell much until I got into the store for a brekkie treat and smelled cinnamon buns and funnel cake. After buying a cinnamon bun, I sniffed the package and got nothing. It was ME! I'm still getting random whiffs of funnel cake and the occasional cinnamony fruit and caramel apple notes.

I love cotton candy more than anything. I do. This is like wearing carny treats. I smell good enough to eat and all I want to do is gorge on sweets all day. God help my friends and family if I ever get a bottle of this, because it is going all over the place.

I don't usually go for the foody scents, but Midway grabbed my attention, so I obtained a decant. What can I say- I love cotton candy and all that other junk that makes going to the carnival/fair/boardwalk so worthwhile (because the crowds, heat, and high prices sure don't!)

Wet, I pretty much just smell glazed donuts and a hint of coconut.

As it dries, everything else comes out. I'm pretty sure I can smell the caramel apple and just a hint of the cotton candy and taffy. It's making me very hungry, but that may be because I haven't had dinner yet.

In short, I wouldn't wear this every day, or even more than once or twice a month. But it's a fun scent.

Edited by bristlecone

In the bottle: Ooh, toffee and caramel and burned sugar - sugar tarts?

Wet: Delicious buttery toffee and cake, with a hint of apple I think. It's a very discreet blend that easily gets overpowered by anything else.

Drydown: It strengthens as it dries down, and it becomes sweet buttery caramel, with salty hints, hmm. There's a tart note in there that I can't quite place, maybe some apple. It's a very sweet and delicious caramel, nothing much more - or perhaps it's just very subtle, I don't really get cake or cotton candy, but it might just be part of this soft sweet buttery haze that is Midway.

Overall: Yum! Mouthwateringly good, though relatively simple. It's the best toffee smell I've tested and there's a buttery note but it's extremely discreet, which is wonderful. I'm nearly tempted to hunt down a bottle, now. It really does have a wonderful, warming and comforting aroma. Hmm, toffee...

Midway-

(I had an agenda; I had to try this one)

In Bottle: I smell vanilla caramel, and maybe a hint of something buttery...buttered popcorn, it wants to be.

Wet: Mmm, rich yummy vanilla. God, I hope this doesn't go musty on me. It would be the loveliest vanilla ever if it didn't. ...Watching (smelling) carefully to see if it goes musty.

Dry: I did something I haven't done to date, in testing scents--this never got musty but it seemed to be riding the edge of it for a while, and then the scent got rather faint, so, I put on another dose! And I waited it out, because I really really wanted to know if this was going to be musty on my skin. And, well...it's close. It's not as disappointingly musty as Lump of Coal or Jack, but there's something threatening there. And adding another dose puts me on the verge of too-cloying for this scent. I might like it best as a scent locket.

Overall: Conditionally like.

She managed to capture the scent of a carnival. I smell a cool autumn night, yummy candy, and a warm fire...all in one :P It's gorgeous

imp: buttery sweet candy---like toffeee with extra butter.

wet: same with a little salt when I put more on and sniff. I also smell a smoke smell and metal and a dirty fairground smell.

dry: MORE of the same metal smell. The sweetness is still there, but the metal is so strong (and some other folks can smell the metal too) that I have to wash it off.

Verdict: SWAPS!

in the bottle: candy. Strawberry, cherry- cotton candy. Almost a little dusty too.

wet: cotton candy. That's what it is. :P Deliciously spun and pulled sugar. Either way, I want to lick myself

dry: I smell like a Carnival, there really is no other wa to describe it. Dominantly cotton candy, there is definitely something more in here- a little funnel cake, candy, maybe even popcorn, but sort of not. It's great.

overall impression: This scent is straight out of my childhood. I can't quite place it. There's a tiny plastic quality to this, but it makes me think of those silly scented erasers or other toys I had when I was a kid... and I love it. The plasticiness is really only present right up against my nose, and around me is a little cotton candy cloud. The throw is good too, and while I don't think I would want to smell this much like the perfect carnival every day, my little impie bottle is certainly a keeper and if I can get my hands on more without breaking the bank too much, I'm sure I will n_n

edit: oh, oh, this smells like a scented my little pony from way back in the day! I think it was the one with ice cream on her tush... odd I know, but I really like it :D

Edited by Natch

I'm bad -- mostly I bought Midway for the pretty label :D I didnt' expect to really love this one -- by and large I try to avoid smelling like a confectionary, but everyone else seemed so hyped about it that I figured I'd give it a try.

it is yummy! sweet and sugary without being sickly at all, for the first time a candy scent that doesn't make me gag. It's surprisingly wearable as well, it's not too much of a 'concept scent' to wear out and about. It's my standard Silly Day scent.

thank God for superficial girls and lovely bottle art. :P

in the bottle and on the skin, this smells FANTASTIC. i keep opening the bottle to sniff it, and then i sniff my wrist. funnel cake! cotton candy! it's like being a kid again.

Cotton candy is the strongest impression, then coconut for some reason, very sugary and sweet....with something not as sweet lurking underneath.

But there's more than sweetness in Midway....and I really can't explain it any more than that. It's an interesting scent that almost tells a story, and I may wear it again just for the experience. I don't think I would wear it on a regular basis, though. I do like Midnight on the Midway a lot better.