Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Midway

A bombardment of edible carnival indulgences. Funnel cake, caramel apple, cotton candy, salt water taffy and sugar tart.

OH YAY!

I´ve been longing for Midway ever since I stumbled over the unreleased-thread as a wee lass, and it´s finally here!

Opening the bottle, I´m floored. This is heaven. It´s everything I wanted it to be and even more. Oh my.

When wet, it has this kinda fruity-sugary note that I recognise, but I can´t really say what it is... I want to eat this! Unfortunately it disappears at dry-down, so I need to try this somewhere else, in case my skin makes it go away. However, it´s still sugary yumminess when dry. It´s caramel (not burnt caramel, which tend to be the norm for all the caramelly scents I´ve encountered before) and cotton candy and marshmallows! Marshmallows! Did you get that? I can´t detect any funnel cake (not that I´ve ever had any..) or doughnuts or anything like that, but that´s all good. It´s perfect the way it is. Almost too sweet, yes, but still perfect!

And, wow, it lasts long too :D 9 hours since applying, and now it´s a faint marshmallow scent, like eating one that´s just melted, god, I think I need to throw one last bbq before autumn hits and I will be wearing this one :P

Thumbs up for Macha and the lovely label too!

I'm so relieved I like this scent since I bought it without trying it out (my first BPAL bottle ever!). That said, the first time I put it on, it mainly smelled like dough with a slight scent of frying oil, and Play-Doh. The next time I decided I needed to put more on. I got the dough and frying oil again, but eventually, the scent bloomed into something really fruity that I couldn't put my finger on (looking at the description now though, I think it must have been the candied apple) and it was delicious!

Within two hours, the scent faded and now I'm left with remnants of sugar and/or caramel, which is not a bad thing, but I'm surprised by how quickly the scent disappeared. But it could also be a good thing, because it means I'll definitely finish my bottle. :P

I knew I would love this..I should have ordered 5 bottles to start with as I want to slather myself head to toe in this! :P

In the bottle: Sweet/greasy(in a good way!) foody smell

On the skin: Whoa..hello cotton candy! I detect the powdery sugar and sweetly fried funnel cakes..mmm!

Afterhours: this has dried down to sweet salty taffy smell w/ just a hint of sugary caramel :D

Must. order. more.

Midway: When I first sniffed this I got something similar to Spooky, but then that note went away thank god because I did not really like Spooky very much. After a min or so I get the sugary vanilla sweetness. Someone earlier mentioned that this is like Snow White without the chill and that I exactly what I think. I do get the greasy funnel cake and cotton candy aroma. I dont really get any butter which is good for me. I do like this but I have 2 more bottles of it comming and I dont know if I need a third bottle. I will have to keep wearing this one and see. :P

Bottle: Everything the description says, foody and greasy and I am STARVING can I just tell you.

Wet: Ack! It's doing that weird "oil gone off" thing that Spooky does! Nooo!

Dry: Whew, it's gone back to being gooey vanilla sugar sticky wee-bit-appley happy yummy goodness. That was close! This is the foody scent I've been after for quite some time... definitely a keeper.

/ili

in bottle: sweet and buttery...yummy, but very rich. it seems like a little goes a looong way.

on: the same buttery-sugary-fried-food smell as in the bottle, but lighter...I can't smell it unless I put my wrist to my nose. it's not salty, but more like sweet fried things – white sugar-sprinkled donuts or funnel cakes, yeah. it's making me hungry. I don't know how much I'll wear this, but it's definitely unique and delicious and I'm keeping it.

In the bottle: hot sweet donuts ( sort of like the smell in a Krispy Kreme shop)

On my skin: This is another one of those "how the heck does Beth do that?" scents.. I started to feel like Violet in "Charlie & the Chocolate Factory" when she's describing what the gum tastes like. First its Cotton Candy, followed by buttered popcorn, then morphing into funnel cake with sugar. There's a strong coconut sort of scent that is constantly present.. but its not fresh coconut (which I hate.. so that's good for me) almost a cocoa butter scent.

In General: This is the first 5ml bottle that I've bought unsniffed (my review is off of an imp I got from the forum) and I'm glad that it works for me. Suprisingly, this is going to be the only CN scent that I purchase. I'm not entirely sure whether I will want 2 bottles of this, but it is very nice. I'm glad its not sickeningly sweet.. its such a warm, comfortable scent that makes me think of going to the fair and getting funnelcakes with my dad. The memories alone for this scent are worth getting a bottle.. even just to open it up and sniff it.

:P foody goodness!

First Impression: Sweet, fried dough.

Dries down to: Everything the description says - it truly is a Midway scent. I get more funnel cakes than anything else. The Ex opened here today and will run for the next two weeks. This reminds me of that smell that's always in the air down there while it's going on, especially when it's hot. It also reminds me of the way our kitchen smelled when I was little girl and my grandmother made "pachki" - sweet, fried jelly doughnuts.

Additional Comments: I like this one but don't know if I want a whole bottle of it. It's a great nostalgia scent for me but it's too sweet for me to wear.

Lasted: Only an hour before it faded considerably.

Rating: 3 out of 5 (5 out of 5 from the nostalgia aspect)

Oh YUM. :D :D :P

In the bottle, this is positively divine. Buttery funnel cake dusted with powdered sugar and sweet candied apples. *head explodes with delight*

When I first applied it to my skin, there was an unmistakeable plastic-y note. However, it quickly dissappeared as the oil dried and settled into my skin. Now it's all warm, fresh funnel cake, sugary icing, candied apples, and salt. Positively divine.

The best thing about it is that it's not overbearingly sweet. Some unabashedly sweet, foody scents (like Gluttony) can be hard to wear because they're SO heavy they're practically sugar-coma inducing. Midway, for all it's glorious foodiness, still manages to be light and carefree.

A wonderful, fun, unique scent. I am debating ordering a third bottle.

:D

In the vial: Carmelized sweetness, with a strong hint of warm butter wafting on top of it all.

Wet: Exactly the same was in the imp. It's a carnival. Seriously. I close my eyes and a vivid memory of spending the day at Six Flags with my girlfriend assaults me. It's not just carnival food, it's the entire carnival atmosphere itself. It's sunshine, humid sweltering heat, sunscreen slatered over sweaty, sticky bodies. It's a perfect summer day. It's delicious.

Dry: The butter has faded into the background as the sweetness swaggers around like it owns the place. Cotton candy and warm baking cake are fighting it out to be the prevalent scent; everything else is a variety of sweets I couldn't pick apart if my life depended on it. Alongside all the foody scents is a very strong smell of sunscreen, particularly Hawaiian Tropic oil.

An hour later: So sweet my teeth are getting sore as I bury my nose into my skin. But not sickly sweet or rotting sweet, it's a perfectly delicious and delectable sweet that makes you want to lick yourself.

Overall: Pure summer in a bottle. This is going to be my signature summer scent... although I'll probably wear it all winter long, too, to remind me of summer and drive away thoughts of sleet and snow. Oh, and did I mention how frightening it is that this smells so perfectly like a carnival?

Edited by decemberine

What else can be said about this that hasn't already been said? I haven't slathered it on yet.....but it will require much slathering. I love it, as it is the perfect "cotton candy" scent and I have a real sweet tooth. My only complaint is that I wish it were stronger. I think this may get stronger with age like my aged bottle of Dana Oshee that is so much stronger now and I will really love this if that happens.

Ah YUMMY! I want to lick my arm where this was applied!! It is warm and sweet and creamy delight! It actually reminds me of milk moon a bit and I adore them both. I think I might have to oder another bottle before sept 1 !! Oh, and since I applied them too close, it is just fabulous with velvet :P Sweet buttery chocolate :D

Another poor soul here on whom Midway turned to plastic :D

It starts off extremely buttery and caramelly (all good things in my book!) and then, Bam! Plastic.

Curses.

Having said that, it is not so plastic-y that it is unwearable but it certainly is a bit of a disappointment, especially when it is so close to be perfect for the first minute or so. I am keeping my bottle nonetheless as I think Midway will be stunning in candles and bath salts

:P

Sweet merciful crap...!

This is so true-to-life, I can feel my teeth rotting. Sugar, butter, coconut oil. Frying in the midday sun.

I'm going to rifle through the BPAL box for the chocolate milkshake that surely must be in there.

this scent is just wonderful! :P i'm smelling every note listed. it's good to have happy scents and this one makes me smile. it reminds me of being at the state fair as a child.

So sad :P

This is gorgeous in the bottle...rich, warm, sweet creamy notes. But whatever notes my body corrupts in Spooky, Tarot: The Star and Milk Moon are, no doubt, in Midway...

It turns into that wretched off smelling plastic on me :D

Edited by blueoceanflower

Yummy. I don't generally like foody scents. Spooky was my one exception, but now I have two exceptions, and the second is Midway. This is undeniably a foody scent, but it isn't too heavy, doesn't smell like cake, it's just sweet and very, very nice.

When I put it on I get loads of toasted coconut (yum). It smells alot like Spooky on me, so it's not surprising that I like it. I get lots of toasted coconut throughout the life of this oil, with a background of sweets, sugar, and salt.

As it's fading, it starts to smell much like salt water taffy and cotton candy. I never imagined that I would love a scent that could be described like this, but I really do- it's yummy.

This smells so sugary sweet my teeth ache just sniffing the bottle. Oh delicious fair foods, how I love thee.

Strangely, this has the same note as Snow White and Spooky that went flat and plastic on me. Woe! So I gifted my dear friend with Midway and she smells like a carnival of tastiness.

In the bottle: Whoa, buttery sweetness overload. I predict that this is going to be just like Miskatonic U - I'll keep the bottle around because I love the smell, but on my skin it'd be way too sweet.

On: Um... well. Not what I expected, but far worse. I'm getting the plastic-coconut, almost clay-like note I get from Spooky. For all the buttery warm sweetness in the bottle, on my skin Midway turns dusty and stale.

Pity, but I can still snuffle it from the bottle. :P

I am completely unashamed to admit that my biggest weakness in food is fried dough with more-than-could-possibly-be-even-remotely-like-healthy amounts of melted butter, topped with thick layers of cinnamon and sugar.

How I'm not 600lbs is beyond me.

Anyway, this scent is like walking into the fairgrounds and heading for that stall in liquid form. I'm in love. No, I'm in heaven. Fat, happy, gluttonous food heaven.

Edited by ephemera

Just received my imp today.

In the imp: I smell cream coconut, marshmallows and crayons. An odd waxy plastic smell.

Once on my skin and newly dried, the plastic smell has dissipated and what remains is

a predominant marshmallow with some cream coconut and white chocolate.

It has a lot of staying power after 5 hours and the scent has remained consistent.

I was really looking forward to the butter, fried dough or caramel elements that so many have mentioned but alas I detect none unfortunately. Perhaps on another day I will but it is still an addicting sugary scent.

This is such a pretty sugary scent, but not like cotton candy sugary, but one of fried foods such as funnel cake. I also get marshmallows and coconut. This smells absolutely divine, but I don't know if I want to smell like yummy food all day. I am definately hanging onto my bottle however!!! Maybe even ordering another because this smells soooo good!!!

Something short, as I'm slathered in at least 5 different scents today. (I just got imps via lj! What more do you expect!)

Midway is completely and utterly delectable. It's.. sugary and sweet with a hint of buttery goodness. It almost smells like those toys I had as a wee girl.. with the muffins and stuff. I forget the name, but they were scented. Almost like that, but without the plasticy smell (thankfully!).

I thought Spooky & Velvet were edible, but this.. I'm suddenly starving right now and I just ate about two hours ago!

Love, love, love Midway. Right out of the bottle and on my skin it smells exactly like...chalk. But 5 minutes later it is the most rapturously delicious blend ever. For some reason it just needs a few minutes to develop...not sure why, it's the first BPAL blend to do this on my skin.

I've hooked at least three people on BPAL in the last month on the power of Midway alone. It's THE gateway blend!

I have 2.5 bottles and I'm actually wondering if I might need one or two more...

Midway is just delicious. There is no other way to describe it. It is the only CN scent other than Freak Show that is simply ordering me to get a bottle. Get a bottle now woman, or you will regret it later.

It is pure sweetness, exactly as described. :P

Edited by emzebel