Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Gemini noir

Pink Moon 2005

The name of this moon refers to the color of wild ground phlox, a primary component of this Lunacy Blend, which is one of the most widespread floral signposts of springtime in North America. This Lunar blend is soft with phlox, tulip, daffodil, dogwood and muscari, dusted with pink sugar, carnation and honey, and a touch of the first strawberries of the season.

In the bottle- Way too sweet, I am considering not even testing this.

Wet- The strawberry is not so obvious now, the sweetness is met by a slight tart note. Which makes for a good balance.

On the drydown, I smell butter, or something creamy, with a strawberry note in the background. Glad I tried this :P

Dry- a soft happy floral with a strawberry in the background. Very nice!

Got to try this at springsea's house.

When I first put this on, it made me think of lilies, but not quite lilies, and thinking back, it was dogwood and tulips.

Oh, how I wish that stage would last.

As it dried, it just got sweeter and sweeter. And ended up as Strawberry Bubblicious. I just can't think of a time that I would want to smell like that, but it is amazing how distinct the different layers were.

How does she DO that?

Hmmm. I just got this in today's mail...and ordered 3 bottles of it thinking I'd go gaga over it and would want to make a bunch of bath goodies with it. Well...so far I'm a wee disappointed. Lovely strawberry scent *in* the bottle and then on me it goes *poof!* no berries. And it's somewhat weak on me, too. I do hope this changes with some passing time and gets a little more complex, because right now it smells like weak powderyness....which isn't bad, but it's just not what I was hoping from dear Pink Moon. :P

ETA: I tried this on while have a most craptacious week. In retrospect, I don't think trying on Pink Moon during such a emotional time allowed me to fairly review it. So, I'll update this again when I have a chance to try it with a better state of mind. :D

Edited by astrid

When I got this in the mail this morning I sniffed the bottle and got strawberry. When I got home from work tonight and sniffed the bottle I got something alcohol-y and a bit 'wrong'.

I just put it on and got a near-total clone of Velvet! Where did that come from?

It has been on about 10 minutes now and that boozy sense I get from Velvet is disappearing and the strawberry is coming out. It smells a lot pinker now. I still get the Velvet undertone though. It is like a base of Velvet with a hunk of syrup-sweet strawberry on top.

Nice so far but I am not sure it is really me.

I will give it time to mature on my skin and update how I feel after that.

BOTTLE: Sweet (duh) ... I've never tried the much-ballyhooed "Pink Sugar" but this is what I would imagine that would or should smell like. There is more than a little "Chaste Moon" to this but the butter rum is replaced with strawberry. It's kind of like a kids breakfast cereal.

WET: Applied to wrists and crooks of arms ... VERY sweet but not in a nauseating way. The light strawberry somehow cuts the cloying potential in a good way. There's a little bit of strawberry bubble gum action but not in the Maenad way that sent me screaming in the other direction. And the best news, no welts (was concerned from my reaction to Malkuth that it could have been the strawberries)

DRYDOWN: What I love about this is it is really subtle. For me, many of these notes individually or combined could often make me queasy but this is such a lovely blend that instead they all work wonderfully. This is not only not a swapper, it's a keeper I could see wearing often and will DEFINITELY try a lotion from it ... I think it would make a marvelous summer lotion!!!

I tend to shy away from anything with strong floral notes because my skin magnifies them like crazy. I'm glad I got a bottle of Pink moon, however, because the berries and sugar survive through all stages.

In the bottle I smell a general sweetness that is very hard to describe. It doesn't smell edible, but it doesn't smell floral either......very strange.

Freshly applied The berries and sugar come out right away. I love this stage! It's very sweet and candy-like and smells the way a strawberry dipped in sugar tastes.

After a few hours the lunar oils (I'm assuming) come out and it starts to smell similar to the other lunacy blends I've tried. The sweetness is strong enough to seperate it from the rest, but the similarity is definitely obvious.

I wish the candy-like stage lasted longer, but I love the other stages enough that it's totally worth keeping and wearing on a regular basis. It's definitely a nice scent for Spring.

In the bottle, Pink Moon smelled incredibly sweet, like liquid pink tooth decay. But once on my skin, the sugars burned off a bit and gentle florals took their place---I could smell the dogwood, the tulips, and the phlox. For me, it ended up being less strawberry and more strawberry leaf, which I was really happy about, as I’ve always loved the smell of the entire strawberry plant, the whole shebang---petal, leaf, stem, and berry.

The candied sugar quality of Pink Moon remained like a halo around the flowers for a couple of hours, and then it seemed like it almost vanished entirely from my skin, leaving a bit of lotus that for me always seems to be the aftermath of the Lunacy blends.

Pink Moon doesn’t cling to my skin the way some of the other oils do, but I have two bottles, so I’m going to spend the remainder of this spring slathered up in the stuff.

Anyone reading my reviews will note a very common theme - BPAL flowers + me = soap. So why did I buy this? Well, I'm not sure, but I am very glad!

Yes, it's somewhat flowery, but somehow the soap is avoided. I think it might be the sweetening influence of the strawberry, which really is the dominant note in this for me. I do like the strawberry, but any more would be overkill as it is on the verge of being bubble-gummy. I notice some other people say cotton candy, but there's too much going on here for me to think that. Overall the blend reads as sugary and, well, pink :P

I really like this - but, given how the strawberry is amplified and pushes through all the other notes I probably won't be ordering Strawberry Moon next week...

*gurgles* I'm so happy the person who got this before me didn't like it, because this is such a happy, bubbly fragrance - and I am so very very glad to have it in my arsenal now.

In the Bottle: Candy floss! Pinky pink pink stickey sweet and sugary. Miam.

Wet: A hint of strawberry, pale floral, still sweet - again, pinky pink pink pink pink. (In a non-redundant way of course - or at least when it goes on it isn't.) If it were possible, this would give me serious tooth decay.

Dry-down: Nice budding floral peeking through and gathering momentum, hints of candy again, the strawberry weaving in and out a little.

For someone with a serious sweet-tooth, this nails it down nice and hard and I'm so glad that as it wears it builds up steam. I was worried my skin would eat it up, but it's just blossoming around me in a big, fluffy, happy cloud.

*coddles bottle*

Whoa. Strawberry. That was my reaction when I opened the bottle. On my skin a soft sugary-floral scent comes out. It's a very gentle scent and I was afraid my skin would eat it, but that didn't happen luckily.

I did smell a similarity with Cold Moon, but maybe it's that aquatic lunar-note in the lunacy blends. It smells almost like a soft breeze, even though you can't really smell wind, but that is what it reminds me of.

First stage: in the bottle and on wet, this reminds me of Chaste Moon, but with sweet fruit instead of cream.

Second stage: I see the comparisons with Sugar Skull. This has the same burnt sugar smell. Luckily, on me, the strawberries kept this from becoming maple syrup (which is what happened with Sugar Skull). It's a sweet, smoky scent--almost like magnolias (is that the dogwood?). I don't really like this stage--it's too heady for me.

Third (final) stage: dries down to a gentle, sweet, fruity scent. It's like mild, sweet candy. It's nice at this stage, but it reminds me a lot of The Living Flame (but with sweet fruit rather than sweet flowers).

Conclusion: I think I'm going to swap this, but I'll try it again in a week. The Living Flame is a similar pink scent to me, but I like it better. Maybe if the oils age and blend a bit more, Pink Moon will smell different.

In the bottle: Slightly under-ripe strawberries and butter cream.

First on: CARNATION!!!! and slightly under-ripe strawberries.

After a bit: The carnation is still in your face, the strawberries are still slightly tart and now a creamy caramel scent is poking it's head through.

After an hour: The carnation fades and so does the strawberry, a comforting milky scent is left, like oatmeal with a touch of caramel but no other spices.

I really really love the dry down scent, but it's so close to the skin and almost completely faded out. The initial scent is far too overpowered by carnation for me. I'm torn on this one.

Mmm, this is yummy, and very, very pink.

It smells intensely sugary straight out of the bottle, but as it dries I start to smell the strawberry -- crisp, natural strawberry, macerated in sugar. But all of this is very much cradled in floral. The most remarkable part is that as it dries down, I get an almost inscensy note out of it -- a very sweet, floral incense, with a whisper of the sugary sweetness remaining.

This is a sassy, lickable fragrance that smells great on my skin and that I foresee using often.

:P

pinkmoon.jpg

My first lunacy order and I was looking forward to it with great anticipation. When I received it I dabbed some on and waited. What I thought was, 'It's a nice incensy scent with nothing spectacular about it. Kind of 'hippy perfume', what a disappointment."

I let it sit and tried it again. This is a blend that has to be opened and given time, like good red wine. The next day I was more careful. I opened and smelled it wet. Now I could get the strawberry and pinkness that was missing on first inspection. I put some on and though it was indeed incense, there was a pink component in it dancing around.

Your nose really does have to acclimate to this blend, and your mind has to adjust.

I put it on as a sleeping potion last night, just to see what dreams it would bring if any. I also put it in my scent locket, too. I am not going to make any wild claims for it but it is an aphrodisiac for me...a real libido lifter! So I think I am going to treat this as a "ritual" type oil (I am not doing rituals for things so it isn't 'proper'). I enjoy it, aesthetically it isn't a work of genius, but it is at the very least pleasant and if it does help out your erotic side, bully!

Anther thought about Pink Moon after four months: This one is just plain old wonderful. It needs several months to maturate, like fine wine. It is just pinky beautiful now. When it's new, it's raw. Let it sit and it will reward your patience many fold. Mmmmm.

Edited by olympia301

Pink Moon

Vial Gah! Assault on my nose in the form of sweet. It's sharply sweet, almost sickly.

Wet: Okay, I get a weird woody note. Something's definitely lurking here.

Drydown: Sugar, sugar, sugar, something floral, something fruity. I can't pin them down, but I want to say carnation and apple/berry.

Dry: Now I'm getting a hint of what I hoped for... pink sugar!!

10 mins: This is honestly too sweet for me to wear. I feel like it's overpowering... almost sickly sweet like too much candy.

1 hour: Huh. Flowers. Just flowers. It smells like my Nana. All the berry fruity sugary smell is gone.

3 hours: Yep. Flowers. It smells more like "standard" perfume now.

Final thoughts: I won't wear this often, but I'll hang on to it because it's a Lunacy and I don't *hate it. It's just not a favorite. I have high hopes for Milk Moon...

In the bottle: Super sweet, super pink & super creamy! The more I think about it, it reminds me of strawberry bubbleyum. Or those strawberry & cream hard candies. But it also reminds me of Chaste Moon, but fruitier.

On: Strawberry becomes more noticeable when i apply. There's almost a bit of plastic-y smell when wet, but it disappears as it dries. I can't really pick out any florals. On dry down, it's a beautiful creamy strawberry... with hints of vanilla. Lovely!

I have struggled with what to say about Pink Moon, because it has been hard for me to nail down a concrete description. To me, it is like a pink candy version of Sugar Skull - sweet but without so much bite. A bit of floral and berry, but not in a bash-you-over-the-head sort of way. I don't find it as overly sweet or cloying as some, but then again, I am all about the sweet scents!

It stays fairly true on my skin, but after a few hours most of the sweet sugary part is gone and I'm left with a faint herbal scent, but it isn't just a strong note from the usual lunar notes. It is softer, muskier? Maybe the incense note others have mentioned.

I am really going to enjoy wearing this, especially on warmer days when I think Sugar Skull would be too rich, but I want a yummy, comfort scent.

This is like Chaste Moon without the butterscotch, less sweet and more incensey. I only smell a wee bit of the strawberry. It's quite strongly sweet in the bottle but really mellows out on my skin. It's pretty, but I'm not enamored. I'm glad I didn't get a second bottle of either this or Chaste Moon now because they're similar enough to satisfy me :P

She's such a light and lovely moon....Definately true to her name. She makes me think of eating cotton candy in an early spring garden. The candy smell domintes at first but then fades to a lighter, lovely, sugar - coated floral. Pink-perfect! :P

First Sniff:

Oof. A pink version of Harvest Moon. That huge overpowering buttery note present in Harvest & Chaste Moons but also there's a hint of sugar.

Wet:

Huh. I don't get any of the sugar sweetness everyone has, just the traditional lunar flowers. Oh wait...there it goes! Like caramel and some pink sugar. It reminds me a lot of how Midway smells in the bottle.

Dry:

Well phooey. I don't get the Pink Sugar subsitute everyone else has, I get the tradtional lunar flowers and...juniper. Lots of juniper. My body amplifies juniper insanely...if there's even the slightest hint of it my chemistry will pull it out and shove it in your face.

Aftermath:

I'm really sad that I don't get the pink sugar love everyone else is but Pink Moon is still very very lovely!

I've been smelling this and smelling this trying to get it right in my head.

In the bottle: smells like candy covered strawberries

Wet: very sweet, like spun sugar though not as candylike cotton candy

Dry Down: I definitely smell the dogwood. I swear if I went and stood next to a tree outside the bees would land on me thinking I'm the tree.

Dry: a powdery soft floral. Makes me think of those big pink powder puffs in my grandmothers body powders.

Very nice. I'm hoping that my friend doesn't like it. Then I can snag her bottle too. :P

I swooned when I first opened the bottle and my adoration has yet to cease. My first impression was strawberry honey - then I could smell the sugar note and then slowly the flowers came to the fore, particularly dogwood and what I think is daffodil. It's an interesting blend; the sweetness and innocence of childhood are there, but they're riding over a drowsy, sensual warmth. This is so pink and yet to me it's a languid pink and not, say, the girlish pink of Venus. I've not tried Sugar Skull and the other moons, so I can't make the comparisons other reviews have.

Oh, I just want to drown in this. I usually am repelled by very sweet scents, but this is heavenly.

Extremely pink, sweet, and cute. Like sugared flowers with faint strawberries. Especially good on a warm, sunny day, I think this'll last on me for awhile. The initial sweetness reminded me of Harvest Moon.

Later: My mother thought this smelled sweet, fruity, and like candy.

Edited by evil_laugher

TMI ~ Aunt Flow is resting a bit now.

Vial ~ Strawberry creamsicle. *cough* Oh dear, this strong. I've never been so inspired to root for a floral note in my life.

Wet ~ Something scared the strawberry and made it back up a few feet. Either it's a floral and an incense, or it's a soft but insistent floral.

Drying ~ Hrm. Is this the "Pink Sugar" effect that people keep writing about? It's very bright and happy, and it's definitely edging toward the end of my sweet tolerance. Ooookay, something's changed. This is unnerving. It's still very pink, but it's a sexy pink. I would have pegged Lolita as smelling like this. There's either a light musk or the florals got together and decided they'd had enough of this.

Drydown ~ Um. Goodness. Strawberry sugar cookies, maybe? After a while, the florals started turning this into a deeper, sexier smell that was still lightened by the sheer pinkness of it. As far as I can tell, my skin ate and spat out the strawberry a long time ago.

Dry ~ Back up to a sexy pink -- almost a hot pink, really. It's starting to turn a little powdery, which ... good lord. The pink is almost gone on one wrist! I've had this on for little over an hour, and it's fading to a mildly sweet, non-offensive powder. The other wrist -- the second to get swiped -- is still just starting to come out of the deep/hot pink phase.

Fade ~ I'm getting a little chalk in with my sweet powder, now, but that's about it. This ... just kinda goes away. Immediately. I think it spent all it's energy trying to crawl out of the bottle at me upon first sniff.

Final thoughts ~ Well, it calms down nicely, but I'm not sure if it's me. Luckily, I decanted myself an imp, so I can see how things change at other times of the month. The bottle has a pink edged label, with a widdle pink moon drawn on it. Awww!

In bottle: Much foodier than I imagined it would be. I smell warm brown sugar. There are hints of flowers beneath it, light delicate blossoms. I am not familiar enough with the florals in this blend to indentify them individually.

On me: Once it hits the skin the flower buds blossom and the strawberries peek out from between the petals. Ooo, tulips! It wasn't quite pink in the bottle, at least in my mind - but now that it's on me there is no other way to describe it. This is an explosion of color, bright pink, screaming out of the bottle. The sugar is dusted on top, but it isn't heavy or syrupy as before. It is light and beautiful - like the fragrance.